Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

BabyArm posted:

I'm an idiot. Here's said pic of P-car.

OK you can't just post something that beautiful and leave us hanging like that. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

fknlo posted:

The interior color seems to be getting the most hate, but I didn't think it was that bad.

It's just saddle brown...nothing weird about it IMO. Except it doesn't really go with the yellow exterior.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

8ender posted:

The problem with the "these cars are thin on the ground you need to restore them to original" attitude is that it's a slippery slope that leads to a lot of cars perpetually on a trailer or under a sheet. When I was restoring my 66' Yamaha I went to some vintage meets and that attitude was creeping in fast. Some were aghast that I was mixing and matching period parts, and others that I was even riding it. That type of thinking brings in people who treat lovely old vehicles like a Lego Star Destroyer; A thing to be built and displayed, but never touched. They're not car people they're museum curators.

The other big problem is that apart from a few special models and the original, 1964-73 cars (and even then not all of those), the 911 is not rare enough to warrant that kind of special treatment, and likely never will be either.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

blk posted:

Just done did 1500 miles with a buddy in his 911 and thinking again of Caymaning (because the two cars are obviously nothing alike but I figure a good Porsche will never be as cheap as the 987 is right now).

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/5577441024.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/5568878999.html

I'm looking at both this weekend. Any thoughts here besides get the IMS checked in a PPI? The S would be the obvious choice but I don't dig on the silver grille, intakes and wheels that come with the appearance package, they seem gaudy as hell, and I'm not sold on the beige interior. Which would you choose? What do you think the two cars are worth?

I prefer the grey one myself; as nice as blue is, the beige interior is going to be a bitch to keep clean.

Can you actually have the IMS looked at at any time? I mean, it's way the gently caress down inside the engine. I'm curious because I'm kind of in the same boat as you are in that I am seriously considering buying a 987C as a daily driver to replace my E46.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

How did I not see that one of those Caymans was an S and the other wasn't! :downs:

It's a no-brainer in that case, go S or don't bother.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

slidebite posted:

Yeah.

e: What do you think a realistic knock-off for asking price for the alternator and headlight lenses (inside part of lens, not the outside) would be? I'd also want to do the water pump/flush as he said he hasn't done it himself.

$2-3K?

The headlight lenses in those cars are not replaceable; it's all one unit and they're $$$$$$$, even used. Brand new they're $2-3k Canadian each from Porsche, and used probably at least $5-600 each (after shipping, duty and exchange rate) off of eBay or elsewhere.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Boxsters are super practical. They have a trunk and a frunk. Also with a convertible you can fit tall things in the passenger seat.

At one point I had a Boxster Spyder and a Lotus Elise as my only car. You'll be fine.

So are Caymans too, when you think about it. They have more trunk space than my E46 does! Also, they're great in the winter too apparently; not just because of the drivetrain layout, but apparently all the rear bodywork on the Cayman is stainless steel, so no rusting either!

Why yes, I am trying to justify a 987 Cayman S as a daily driver, why do you ask?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

A few years ago most shops in that business wouldn't go over 4.1L on the Mezger. I'd be interested to see the bore and stroke numbers on that build. 4.3L on an engine that was never raced over 4L. Seems like it shouldn't last long at that size but I'm sure the shop did plenty of testing.

The ad says 105.4 x 82 mm. Which is quite a lot over the stock engine at 100 x 76.4, and more still than the late-997 4.0 at 102.7 x 82.4.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

That's... quite the site he has there.
http://www.logankugler.com/

That...cannot be real. There is no way on Earth that dude can actually have his head so far up his rear end that he can taste his own tonsils.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Jymmybob posted:

what kind of monster would repaint a gulf blue 911 into some dumb dark blue http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-porsche-911-coupe/

edit: even worse, black

Oh god the more you read into that, the bigger the trainwreck it becomes

Miata windshield...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

If anyone asks how there's pointless overelectrification in cars these days, just show them this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1DyrhswoIk&t=157s

The solution to this, like for just about every modern car, is to carry one of those lithium-ion booster packs with you. Not only would it let you get into the trunk in this case, but it just might have enough juice to get the car started too. Plus, it's small enough it could live in a map pouch or a glove box.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Just remember that between states, provinces and countries there is a huge variation of the legal minimum insurance you need to carry. Here in Canada you need a minimum $1 million coverage for personal liability and damages, whereas in the States I've heard of absurdly low numbers like $5-10,000.

Insurance rates vary accordingly to this, of course.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

A3th3r posted:

That costs slightly less than my e46 bimmer m3 costed when it was purchased from a stealership in St. Paul, MN. That being said, I know I like to talk big about being rich but I cannot afford the motorsports shops repair bills that come with Porsche ownership. I'll stick to my BMW!

what are you some kind of loving poor that you're afraid of a two-thousand dollar thermostat replacement in a porsche?

guess you should stick with your working-class bmw and it's six-hundred dollar thermostats then

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

$3200 Cayenne Turbo that's leaking coolant but supposedly ran when last parked?

Looks like it was not kept in great condition (dirty on the inside, cloudy headlights), I'm guessing you're better off with a $9k actually running and clean one from the same year?

Well looking at Bajaha's Cayenne thread, you're gonna spend ten grand on it regardless of your purchase price.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Jymmybob posted:

LS 944s are the fuckin tits

Oh sure but you'll feel pretty stupid with your LS 944 when you find out that the Audi 5-cylinder bolts right the gently caress up.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

slidebite posted:

Go to finally replace the water pump hose on the 996. Typical porsche shows supercede part #s from the original, so I order the newest revision.

Although, of course it doesn't fit. I need to also replace a hard pipe which connects to the weirdo 3-way hose. :sigh:

Because, Porsche.

I''ve got have a mind to take my tube cutter to the pipe and see if I can make it work with the new hose. I mean, if I otherwise need to buy a new hard pipe I might as well try it right? Nothing to lose?

Piece of advice for owning a Euro car - NEVER buy UROparts. They often don't fit (as you found out), and they are generally terrible quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I don't really care for Singer 911s to be honest - early ones were nice, definitely, but of late they've just disappeared up their own rear end with everything. Air-cooled 911s, including the 964s they build on and especially the era of 911 they are emulating, are functional, utilitarian machines, and Singer just completely misses the point with their cars.

As weird as it might sound, they're too perfect.