Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

I hope it's okay to ask this here. I've been looking into buying an early year Cayman S for the last half year or so and would like to pull the trigger before summer and I have some broad (dumb?) questions:

• The pickings seem slim enough that I'll have to buy long distance, something I haven't done before; is getting a pre-purchase inspection sufficient? How big of a factor is CPO? It would be nice but it limits the pool a great deal after already filtering MTs

• I'm from CA so I don't know poo poo about rust, should I just stick to west coast cars or just avoid certain states?

• Should I be avoiding certain model years? I'd like to spend less than 40k and still get low miles so that seems to limit me to MY 06-09

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Ah, so it seems CPO is vastly preferable to just getting a PPI for a non-CPO. Do I still need to get a PPI on a CPO? Seems redundant

Gorgar posted:

Not sure if "filtering MT" means you want or don't want a manual, but I believe 2009 is when they got the PDK. Don't get a Tiptronic. Anyway, if I remember right, the general consensus was that the second generation was solidly more desirable.

It has to be a manual so I take it I don't have to worry this PDK stuff

Gorgar posted:

Anyway, if I remember right, the general consensus was that the second generation was solidly more desirable.

And no IMS problems? Dangit that's gonna edge my cap up but good to know, thanks for the advice

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

ignore this I apologize

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

I think the carmax warranty is fine as long as you get dealer service for everything and document document document. Your first track day probably voids the warranty though. CPO may be cheaper.

Ah, the whole point was to get a car more fun to track than my WRX, thanks for this

One last question for the day: Is it a total waste of time to look into base Cayman's? Or should I go S or go home?

Mostly an issue because the WRX is making 300 brake so I don't want the step down to dampen the transition

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Gorgar posted:

And yes, I would definitely get an S. If I had to prioritize, I'd get an '09 base over an '08 S, but I'd try really hard to get an '09 S. Same thing I did when I got my 911. But the non-S isn't going to be a bad car. It's still a Cayman, and Caymans are drat fun. I'd just rather have the more power, bigger brakes, and more standard features that the S comes with.

Older S vs newer base was pretty much the question I was gonna ask, I'll be on the lookout for sport chrono as well; thanks much!

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Admirable Gusto posted:

Late response but the base Caymans are still worth looking at. I knew a guy who would track his all the time; it was caged and modded (r-comps and so forth) but did a good job of keeping up with higher HP cars. Anecdotally I've heard that the base engine has fewer issues than the 3.4 does at the track, although that sample size is likely a lot smaller

However, that one car was the only base Cayman I ever encountered at the track and the guy ended up putting the car on its side at Thunderhill (last turn coming on to the main straight), crumpling an a-pillar in the process. I still remember I was ordering a burger when it happened and then everybody took off running in the direction of the sound

Thanks, appreciated but I ended up going with a MY08 Cayman S. Having it shipped and if it passes the inspection I won't return it.

Scant details so I'm not getting my hopes up but it looks like a unicorn on paper: driven 3k miles a year and sitting at 23k miles after 6 years, clean Car Fax, from rust-free area etc. all for 35k.

It's from Car Max so I figured I'd get the extended warranty in case the IMS goes, I spent a lot of time looking for a MY09 base everywhere (since I wouldn't need CPO or a warranty for IMS) but they were too rare, unfortunately.

Hadn't heard of retrofitting the IMS though? Not useful for my situation but curious to hear if this is worthwhile/effective usually?

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Look at it like this; the IMS bearing is like a really, really expensive timing belt. WHEN it goes your engine is mostly toast, and even if you change it you WILL have to change it AGAIN (assuming you own the car for a longer period of time).

That's a good analogy. I was referring specifically to stories I've heard of people taking a used purchase in and having upgraded IMS bearings put in before any issues occurred. I was just curious how much longer the improved bearings lasted, I assumed much longer otherwise why go through the prohibitive cost of replacing it in the first place...?

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

I hadn't, thanks

Arione posted:

the real solution is to put in the "ims solution" that removes the baring completely and puts in an oil fed system to keep it lubricated

From what I casn tell it's not available for MY06-08, only MY00-05; seems best you can do with the former is replace them with upgraded bearings but that necessitates tearing down the engine completely

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

DrakeriderCa posted:

All of you guys getting handed Porsches from your parents are driving me crazy :(

I doubt I'll be able to one within the next 25+ yrs, but I come in here just to dream

I bought an 08 Cayman S for 38k after tax, that's like optioned Camry money

LIVE THE DREAM you can do it

buy the camry

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I just bought an 08 Cayman with 30k miles (picking it up this weekend) and a co-worker started telling me about the IMS bearing issue. I had seen mention of it while researching the car but I didn't realize how catastrophic of a failure it was until he explained it a bit.

What should I do? Are there reliable preventive measures? Am I 100% rolling the die on this? Is it so bad that I should cancel the purchase?

Battlegoat posted:

The IMS issue is there, but the design was updated in '06 and is a much less common failure on cars of that year or newer.

I wouldn't worry about it, but there is a retrofit if you are so inclined: http://imsretrofit.com/my06-08/

I bought an '08 S with 24k miles recently and my due diligence turned up really low failure rates.

A retrofit is an unreasonably cost-prohibitive decision because it requires an engine tear down; with that kind of money you could afford a 981 and avoid this issue entirely.

That being said, I love my 987 and have driven a friend's 981; the real perks are the hydraulic steering and smaller overall size. The dimensions are very noticeable despite being like a couple inches both axis, I have some side by sides somewhere.

On top of that they're not making any more flat sixes and the new Cayman's loving blip the throttle for you on a downshift , so even if you drove a 987 till it detonated it'd still be glorious. Here's a pic of mine for encouragement, sorry I can't take pictures of cars for poo poo:

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I'd say the 2 accidents are more of a non-starter than (still scary) worries that another party will find issues with the car.

First thing I thought when reading the story, also you can find a better deal: for ref my '08 Cayman S was 30k but only had 24k miles and 1 PO, clean history.

I would keep looking.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Bajaha posted:

From what I've read they don't suffer the IMS issue, and I'm not sure if it's been winter driven, with the mileage I'm leaning towards yes. He says it's never been in an accident and that it's all original. The seller's retired so hopefully it hasn't been horribly abused. It's from the Niagara falls region so not sure what to expect, thinking of trying to go see it tonight, it's an hour away from where I'm staying. Did all Porsches get the fancy full chassis rust proofing dip or is that just the 911 and not the lesser boxster?

Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to see it tonight and it's as nice as it's described. I'm pretty smitten already so I'm trying to keep a clear head as much as I can and not do a really stupid purchase.

It's the worst rendition of several bad renditions of the IMS bearing, the following quote here is sourced off the settlement link, which I'll link here:https://web.archive.org/web/20141221022724/http://www.imsporschesettlement.com/

EDIT: I'd encourage you to keep looking 06+ though, the failure rates were much lower and ~09+ the IMS bearing can be retrofitted.

EDIT 2: You still have the Baja right? Haven't seen that thread in awhile

thechalkoutline fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 19, 2016

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Bajaha posted:

Reading the replies, well, poo poo... I guess 92% is still a pretty good chance the one I just bought isn't going to poo poo the bed in the year or so I plan on owning it, it made it this far, right :ohdear:

Already talked with my wife and the way she put it is "it's only money" in response to my question of what happens it turns out I buy a dressed up basket case that does a bluesmobile impression after the title is transferred into my name. I love that woman

Eh if you're just gonna tool around for a little while I wouldn't worry about it either; I have an '08 myself and those you can't even replace the bearing without taking the engine apart so don't let me stop you. I'm too lazy to double check, but keep in mind if you wanted to keep it it's likely you could have the bearing replaced with ones that don't explode.

What slidebite said, also if you actually go looking for blown ims bearings you actually have a hard time finding any posts about it...

Enjoy! Such a unique experience: loads of grip, steering feel stands out among all the cars I've owned, suspension is stiff but compliant (and I'm in CA where the roads are absolute garbage and have no problems dailying it)

EDIT: also your wife has the right outlook, where else are you gonna get a modernish rear mid-engine car for that kinda money these days? What a time to be alive

thechalkoutline fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 19, 2016

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Does anyone know the whether the fog light bulb for an 2008 Cayman S (987) is a H8 or H11 type? Or which source to trust?

Owner's manual says H8:

But all other sources seem to point to H11:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/99963114491.html
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/99963114290.html (H8 bulb here claimed as Boxster)
http://www.lightbulbs4cars.com/porsche%20bulb%20guide

Seem to be different wattages so I wanted to check, these are just the standard halogens

EDIT: DA LITE

Also lol @ what do they mean by a relatively large amount of effort, literally physically or like ability

thechalkoutline fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 30, 2016

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

slidebite posted:

Probably mean it's not a 30 second change, hence effort. You are talking about Porsche owners after all.

I'd normally go by the manual, but if you're getting conflicting info I'd just pull one and look to be safe.

If they're H11, I liked my Osram Nightbreakers I used in my 4Runner, but the longevity wasn't great.

I would default to manual as well but literally every other source is saying H11

Was hoping I wouldn't have to pull it off, screws, just to see... put it back on to get the part or get a ride, but I guess you're right unless anyone else chimes in.

The plot thickens: http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-and-boxster-electronics/92493-definitive-cayman-987-bulb-list.html

Here someone quotes the manual and a poster screams at the end the H8 quoted in the manual is WRONG and THEY ARE MAD

EDIT: I think I figured it out, if this site is reliable: http://www.lightbulbs4cars.com/h11%20bulbs

quote:

The H11 is a single filament bulb with a PGJ19-2 base, uses as both low beam and fog light bulb depends on the make and model of your vehicle

Which is a mostly useless function my car has which was hard to figure out: once in the headlight on position you can pull the whole tab out one detent to turn on the low beam (I was trying to figure out how to engage it since it had an icon just to the right of the headlights as if it was the final detent, but no you pull it out)

This goes against the manual so someone stop me before I buy the part if you know better

thechalkoutline fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 30, 2016

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

slidebite posted:

Congrats guys!

Am I the only one that thinks it looks sort of stupid when people have their speed-controlled spoiler over-ridden so it's always up even when stopped?

This except wish I could force it to stay down even past 80, 991 ones look even weirder

various cheeses posted:

So I found out my car will be ready Monday, which also happens to be my birthday :toot:

That's some amazing timing; wish I could live vicariously through your first time hearing the start + warm-up sequence!

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

slidebite posted:

As your only DD and no real disposal income?

It might be a better idea than sticking your cock in a food processor but not by much.

They are 2nd cars/toys, and when it needs work it's invariably not cheap. We're talking $75 oil changes, and that's doing it yourself.

Sure, they can be reasonably reliable, but they can also bankrupt you if you get unlucky.

If you can't work on it yourself put it out of your mind based on that alone.

Encor3 posted:

Seconding this. While Porsche isn't exotics-level expensive, you'll still want a bit of disposable income available for whatever maintenance comes up. And while I think the IMS issues are overblown, you'll always have the thought in the back of your head that your engine could grenade itself one day. Just getting new tires will cost you near $1000; they're expensive AND don't last very long! Yay performance! Better to use money wisely now to move ahead in life to a point where the running costs won't be such an issue.

Thirding everything said here. It's like budgeting for the cooling system when you guy a BMW writ large, you'll need to budget out an excess $3-5k that will get eaten up between services (even done yourself) and when something invariably shits the bed.

I knew this in advance and still have very much a love/hate relationship with my 987 because even when you budget out that money you still have to actually bite the bullet and chew through it. This is even though I knew about the issues and got a full CarMax warranty.

poo poo that failed that would have been expensive if not 100% covered by my warranty:

- water pump
- cup holder (definition of over-engineering right here, wish they never built them in)

Tires are drat expensive as mentioned (cause you're not gonna cheap out on them, that would be even stupider) and last like 20k miles spirited driving, even bulbs are expensive, 60k/120k belt majors maints are expensive, etc.

That said, driving it is a religious experience and I love it to death, could talk about the perks forever

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

DevCore posted:

I also can't tell if there's a seam or perfectly straight crack running down the center of the glass...

It's the AM/FM antenna, perfectly normal

How the hell did you even make that out from those low res photos

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

As a 987 owner I cannot describe how jealous I feel looking at that spare

Past trauma aside, bless you Tire Rack road hazard warranty

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

slidebite posted:

They don't have spares? I didn't know that. What do they have? A compressor?

Tire sealant and compressor... or more practically, a AAA Plus membership

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

^Thread title runner up

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Can't be a good thing it needed a brand new clutch at 23k? That's really low

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Any of the amber/orange lights also look pretty good on black

But your car will never be clean etc yeah yeah

Buy that 911 & drive it into the GROUND

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Currently I'm paying 330/6 months for full coverage for my Cayman, but live in a state with super low insurance prices. Looking at paying double in a month when I move back east.

Yeah, I'm in CA and pay somewhere between 600-700 semi-annual for my 08 Cayman S.

My WRX before was only maybe 300-400 semi-annual, for a reference

Keyframe, some points having put over 50k on my Cayman S, just had it's 72k maint:

I wouldn't call maintenance cheap if you don't do your own work, I can't because I'm on a Carmax warranty because 2008 IMS, but reliability has been fine. Water pump died but welcome to German automotive engineering, no big surprise (you were looking at BMW's so I assume you're fine with this). Even if you do your own work, parts are relatively more expensive irregardless, but not wallet breaking (assuming you can afford the car).

This car gives me the chills once to twice every time I commute, I absolutely know the feeling you're talking about. I've put 50k on the car, and when I'm at 6/10s on a turn, absolutely nail the shift and floor it coming out, I still get a big ol smile on my face and a chill down my back. 20% of the time I reflexively whoop

Edit: honestly I never planned to keep it this long but at this point I'm almost hoping it grenades itself before 120k so I can get a free engine (yours has no IMS issue so don't worry about this part)

thechalkoutline fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 26, 2017

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Sappo569 posted:

7k that's like I killed 3 people driving drunk and just got my license back territory

Christ I'm getting genuinely depressed just thinking of all the funny cars you could buy each year for 7 grand and run into the ground or part out

Congrats on the car, show me some pics or it didn't happen tho

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Black rims look good with the grey, grats (the pdk hurt me but I'm not judging I swear, they're really great transmissions)

When you get in your seat, plop your rear end in the middle and swing your legs in so they don't rub across the left bolster

Go look up a seat on any used porsche with like 80k+ of miles on it and you'll see all the cracking and wrinkling on the left bolster

This is usually not worth mentioning but figure since you got it new you might as well do it right

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

keyframe posted:

Only problem with the car is it is so drat quick to accelerate you always have to watch the speedometer like a hawk in the city because it goes 0-70 as soon as you press the pedal. I am scared to get a ticket in the city and end up paying more for the insurance.

Yeah you'll learn to be totally dependent on the digital speedo, off-track the analog speedo is worse than useless given a) the acceleration you mentioned and b) 100mph is literally 1/3 of the speedo, so trying to use it to gauge speeds between 0-50 is actually dangerous if you're going through like a school zone :v:

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Bajaha posted:

Overall I'm scare-roused. So far we agreed on $16,000 CAD and at that price I should be able to get away with breaking even even if the motor betrays me and needs replacing. I'm thinking it's worth around $24k-26k in Manitoba based on what I've seen them listed for and having sold my previous one for $21k with almost twice the mileage.

Hmm I can definitely see why you're on the fence... at break even if motor grenades and assurances of that much profit, kinda a hard deal to pass up.

On the other hand, and I'm sure you're weighing this too, car absolutely screams of PO fuckery: fairly tasteless mods, which jives right with the overrevs, also electrical issues? No service history bugs me but is unsurprising given the state of the car and may not be too risky given the low miles, just praying they did a handful of oil changes. Agreed damage from overrevs would have presented itself by now, and I believe in your ability to fix what can be fixed.

EDIT: Any idea how much a new key would cost? I've heard everything from "reasonable" to "a fortune."

thechalkoutline fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 25, 2017

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Bajaha posted:

Owner is wafting and using lack of time as excuse. I've offered to help with dropping it off at the shop and they offer after hours drop off, and it's not been driving so it's not like he needs it as a daily.

Without the PPI I won't buy this one so I guess potential bullet dodged and it'll be somebody else's mess to clean up. Oh well. Time to start dredging Kijiji for another opportunity!

Funny enough, the car is *technically* mine as the PO had sent me a fully filled out bill of sale and a copy of the registration signing that I've already paid him in full.

Really wanted to tell you no, everything about the description indicated more problems were to be found or likely to surface

Happy this happened! Good hunting

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Lmao I just noticed your new avatar

Taking a stand, drawing a line in the sand

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Your 996 doesn't autolock at speed or anything, does it? You actually hit the [hilarious] 'lock' button every time you get in?

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Can't speak for the supplier but I will say that's a good price, having just bought OEM brake parts for my 987's first front job at 70k

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Yeah I was gonna say, I know usually sun-fresh paint from years-after debadging doesn't buff out, but in this case it almost looks like it might.

And it's just from that picture, but I would have had no idea what to look for if you hadn't specifically told me; some detailing might make it even more imperceptible

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

The Singer getting the 500hp 4.0l flat six

I'm not crazy about that 'blood orange' interior but 2,180lb w 500hp NA in TYOOL 2017, wowow

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

The exposed shifter linkage is also quickly growing on me

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

What is with that cage/rollbar?

I'm quoting from their site, but given the bolts it appears to be:

quote:

Fully integrated roll hoop upholstered in padded leather.

Chassis integrity and roll over security is further enhanced by an optional bolt-in internal roll hoop that recalls the design used in the racing machines of the 1960s and 70s. The roll hoop is correctly padded and upholstered in leather to complement the interior.

The only other option seems to be a full cage (which of course they rec helmet for).

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

the spyder posted:

I wish I had garage space right now.

Do it!!! Flat 6 is a healthy addition to the rotary lifestyle, also aren't you left coast? TOP DOWN

120k is actually a good thing considering the 05 ims

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Thinking about £20k on a 2010 Boxster S 987.2

Any advice?

Blue On Blue posted:

What's that in freedom dollars?

$27,360

Which would be kind of a great deal, any other info? How many miles?

EDIT: Oh wow, I guess that's about average these days. Well not a great deal but depending on the miles could be great value

thechalkoutline fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 12, 2018

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

So I only heard of this a couple days ago and am... intrigued

So far my 987 has been bone stock and only for that reason (as we all would pause) I'm a bit hesitant.

http://www.hip-designllc.com/index_product1.html

These look like the guys who make it, there's the installation guide there but it's all pretty straight forward

Thoughts? Tacky? I think I'm looking to be talked out of it but it's kinda novel in the right ways...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Yeah, had the same thought, did see traces of used & refurbished floating about but not for much cheaper