Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Whenever I see Bayonetta all I can think about is Hideki Kamiya trying as hard as he can not to jerk off to her but failing miserably, and then talking about blocking people on twitter or something.

It's the glasses that do it for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When your balls are being crushed under someone's gunheels I don't think it matters whose gunheels they are.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Unlike you people I'm not gullible enough to buy a PS4 so unless Bloodborne comes out on PC I won't have a platform to play it on, though it would be nice.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

THE PENETRATOR posted:

lmao what is this from

the penetrator: an autobiographical film

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Quantum Leap

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've heard that if you sync up Dark Side of the Moon with your playthrough of any FF game after 7, the music perfectly reflects your disappointment at playing a bad video game.

edit: FF13 excluded of course because it's hard to find a 500 hour version for use in MMOs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I do agree that Steam encourages impulse buys especially with the flash sales, but if you're not an idiot and you have a single ounce of self-restraint, there's nothing wrong with it. Yeah the lowest common denominator will fall for it every time but who gives a gently caress about them it's their money they're wasting on games they won't play.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My Claptrap body pillow and wall scrolls disagree with you

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wish Tiny Tower was available for PC because I don't have a smartphone and it looks cute and I like watching numbers go up while I do other things :kiddo:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Silent protags are lame because physically voicing the character yourself is like the one thing you still can't do in a video game, and games with silent protagonists operate under the assumption that that's what's happening. Dead Space 1 is a pretty good example because Isaac doesn't say anything out loud for the whole game but his quest log journal thing is written from the first person, so obviously he has a perspective on what is happening but he just doesn't speak because ???. I am glad 2 rectifies this mistake.

edit: They even had the same guy voice/mocap Isaac in 1 but it didn't matter because all he did was go ARRRGGHH.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I think some games are good having silent protagonists and others are good having voiced characters. I spent alot of thinking this over and I'm pretty sure it's the best take on the subject

For some games it is probably better to not have the protagonist talk but the illusion breaks the moment the game asks the player a direct question that begs a response, and Half-Life 2 does that in like the first 5 minutes which is why it's not a great example.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Monster Hunter 4 makes jokes about the player character being mute by having a character that asks you direct questions all the drat time and she just goes "...you don't say!" in response. That game is super open about the player character's muteness to the point where I think it's probably better off that way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sleeveless posted:

If you think about it it's kind of silly that every game has a sneak button and a run button when nearly 20 years ago Super Mario 64 figured out that an analog joystick could encompass the entire range of movement based on how far you pushed it.

Thankfully every video game after it realized that specific motions based on spotty analog stick pressure was extremely fallible and annoying they stopped doing it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As a long-time fan and apologist of the series I really hope Silent Hills doesn't suck. It's been a long time since there's been a Silent Hill game that wasn't stuck in a divisive hell between "it's really not that bad you guys" and "this is the game that kills the series".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
2 and 3 (3 especially) are definitely more combat-focused and I think that might be part of why you feel that way. They give you more than enough ammo to fight basically anything you could come across, so the scary monsters lose their veneer a bit when you've mowed down 500 of them by the end. One thing I enjoyed about 4 is that weapons were a rarity for the majority of it, so there was a lot more strategic zig-zagging involved. Of course, 4 has the downside of being an overall slog, but I don't think the lack of firepower is the reason for that. Resident Evil has the benefit of giving you a reason NOT to kill enemies (see: crimson heads loving everywhere) which Silent Hill has pretty much always lacked.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The way the monsters transformed based on your psych stuff was pretty cool but they put way way too much sex-psych-level-increasing stuff in there so it was easy to end up with sexy everything if you just stopped to look around a bit. Shattered Memories isn't really a great game because the puzzles are mind-numbingly simple and, like someone else said, there is a very defined line between "I should be scared now" and "I should feel safe now", but it brought forward a lot of interesting ideas and did some creative stuff.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
GTA 4 was the start of the "we need more real world elements" cancer that killed GTA 5 which could have been actually good so I will always hold a small grudge against it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Stux posted:

lmao are you serious

Entirely. GTA 4 managed to be one of the most depressing games I've ever played. The fact that it's all an ugly shade of gray-green and light brown does not help. I wanted really hard to like the game after SA but I just couldn't do it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Stux posted:

yeah that's why it owns idiot its GTA not borderlands

Stux posted:

hmm this game doesn't let me spray poo poo on houses or fight people in S&M gear... *puffs pipe* 4/10. mother, where is my bottle?

I don't expect the game to be off-the-wall wacky japes and jokes every five seconds, but by the third time in a row Niko got taken advantage of and came away with nothing and then Dan Houser waxed poetic about the American Dream being dead I realized I probably should be playing something that doesn't try pathetically to make me feel like poo poo for being alive in the 2010s. Sure, that's a fine subject for a game to tackle and if they handled it well and not like poo poo maybe the game would be better off for including themes like that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The overarching theme of gta 4 is "the american dream is dead and the only true happiness is in personal satisfaction also i'm dan houser and man i hate rich people" but everyone niko loves dies so he doesn't get to have that. GTA 5 continues this trend by having you pull of 5 massive-scale caper heists and having 1 of them actually give you a payout.

edit: i forgot some crucial numbers

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sleeveless posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YefBXDjICbA

:phone: What's that, somebody's praising GTA IV and/or badmouthing Saints Row on the internet?! I'll be right over!

For what it's worth I barely even like Saints Row also. Saints Row and GTA almost as whole series' are great examples of open world games that would've been way better imo without the open world.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sober posted:

Have we gotten to the point yet where career souls players with about 2000 hours into the series complaining that Bloodborne is too easy even on the higher NG+ difficulties? Or are we still in the phase of youtube videos talking about the graphics downgrades from reveal footage?

I don't know much about Bloodborne but the only footage I've actually seen of the released game involved a dude stun-locking a boss to death in 5 hits so it probably is coming sooner than you think.

edit: The game seems to have a lot looser of a definition of 'boss fight' if that makes sense. The previous souls games' bosses are mostly about huge battles between your tiny dude and one or more really big dudes, with the occasional puzzle boss or boss with a twist. From what I've seen of Bloodborne (mostly just webms of bosses) they made really big dudes rarer and I'm not enough of a sucker to buy a PS4 so I haven't played it to tell you if that's actually true or just looks that way.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 24, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

codenameFANGIO posted:

YOU ARE A BAD PERSON FOR PLAYING THIS; YOU CAN STOP AT ANY TIME

-Spec Ops: The Line, to you, the player, over and over again

actually the message is "the characters are bad people but you the player are not because it's a video game, if you feel bad for them you can stop at any time but they can't because it's a video game", lol if you played it and somehow missed that

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

"you are still a good person" says the loading screen, and then a million dumb nerds interpret that as "the game said I was a bad person"

Excels posted:

spec ops had a rockin soundtrack. i also liked how music was all echoed as it blared out of destroyed buildings.

:agreed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1PNvopXjbg

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Marlon Brando [to audience]: You are still a good person.

I can't believe Apocalypse Now said I was a bad person for watching it, where does that movie even get off???

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Will GTA ever not be known as "that game where you can kill prostitutes" to the general populous

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It makes me wonder where that moniker even came from in the first place, if I had to guess I'd say it came from Jack Thompson because "that game where you can kill prostitutes" is a single sentence that carries a lot of implications and it's the kind of thing that would've come out of his douchey mouth back in the day

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like grilled cheese because it reminds me of happier days and makes me feel less sad inside when I eat it :unsmith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FactsAreUseless posted:

My happiest days are now. Explains why you post like you do.

My truest self is a sadbrains jackass who is mad at the world for what I believe it has turned me into even though I was my own undoing in my youth. But I like video games and have money so it all balances out in the end.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If I take enough zoloft it does

I am finally playing RE5 after many years of not doing that thanks to the recent Steam pricing error and boy it is not a real great game. I feel very lukewarm on it so far but I'm not very far in so maybe it gets better later??

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bicyclops posted:

Don't be mad at the world. There's grilled cheese.

That is a good lookin grilled cheese.

Xythe posted:

No one was kidding when they said a human partner is required to make it merely a sub-par experience.

That's a shame, especially since it lives in the shadow of RE4 which is like super good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When I was a kid my sister and I both got the original phat gameboy for Christmas one year and she, being a few years younger than me and having never played a video game, got into the habit of taking out the cart before turning off the power. To this day I still don't know if that actually does any damage to the thing but I remember gasping in horror every time it happened. Same with opening the PS2 tray while a game was running. It just felt wrong.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Spreading misinformation is literally my gimmick.

Something something username and gimmick combo something something video games

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

No Wave posted:

Just played Far Cry 3. Why even bother making two endings when the choice you're presented with is slit your pretty girlfriend's throat and kill all your friends, or don't? I felt disgusting even watching the second ending on youtube afterwards.

You're supposed to decide if Jason is beyond saving and should give into his animalistic anger or if he still has some semblance of humanity left in him after killing a fuckjillion people, but the game doesn't reflect that that's supposed to be your thought process as the person playing because Far Cry 3 is almost entirely very poorly written.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wow it's actually kind of appalling how terrible RE6 is. Like I knew going in that it would be bad based on other peoples' experiences with it but I didn't know it'd be THIS bad. It's not even bad in a fun way, it's just lovely.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
How do I play as Barry in Mercenaries, that is all I care about. What do I have to do to play as Barry in Mercenaries because I hear that's a thing you can do in RE5 or 6 or something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

VideoGames posted:

Barold Burton is one of gamings top 10 beards

gently caress yeah he is

edit: Above poster is right, Mercenaries is still good in RE6 especially with the ridiculous-rear end dodge moves you can do. I am glad the game's not entirely bad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The reason nobody harps on games like Hotline Miami for being made in Game Maker is because making a full game in programs like that is actually quite difficult sometimes to the point where you may as well have just coded it from scratch yourself. I don't know anything about RPG maker but I assume it's the same way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bloodborne is still one of the first few games of the new generation that you can actually sink your teeth into after giving it an hour or so to load

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

ahh, this game has cool melee combat with a high skill ceiling and tight, satisfying controls? That sounds good, but instead ..... let me run away from stuff and press this one button, for 40 hours

Compared to going close to stuff and pressing one button for 40 hours. Maybe 2 buttons if you feel up to it.

• Locked thread