Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm gonna play Shovel Knight, today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Just beat Metroid Prime again. I've decided I don't like the Meta-Ridley right. The last part is incredibly tedious. Metroid Prime'a a fun fight though.
Pretty much every boss in MP1 is garbage. Last form of Metroid Prime is kinda fun but Jesus that first form

By comparison MP3 has fun bosses and a boring rest of the game so I guess it's one or the other

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I want to cry because Shovel Knight is so good.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Old games are still good and good things do not "age badly" except in very exceptional and specific ways.

Good games still come out today but so do a lot of garbage games. I would be very sad if all I could play was new games because even the good ones tend to be bad in a lot of ways compared to old games. But I am not sad, because I still have old games, and my brain isn't garbage and broken so I still discover ones that passed me by and love them all the time even fi they are not as cinematic and majestic as The Order: 1886. I started playing Quest for Glory last week and it's really good :)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

I dunno there's poo poo like Phantasy Star's first person dungeon that contains no map or anyway to record such a map in game. The Early Ultima games really don't stand out anymore as well, and the first three final fantasies are not as good as the ones that came later on in the series.

They're incredibly dated at this point because the mechanics were refined by later games.
Ultima is a good example actually, the first three games definitely aren't worth playing because Garriott was just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks. The series gets worth playing at 4 because of all the interesting poo poo it tries and legitimately good at 5-6, and I wouldn't say that's down to technical advancement so much as just the dude learning how to make his games good. Ultima 5 is still very very old but I think it holds up well.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rune Factory 4 sounded good but I don't remember why. Is it?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Everyone just saw the RAGNAROK = KANGAROO translation and flipped their poo poo. The only problem with ToP translation is that it's milquetoast, but that personally makes it fit in my mind since if the original game was translated when it came out it would probably read like that.
holy poo poo i forgot about the great war of kangaroo that was fantastic

also:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

dejap made a bunch of that translation up because they figured nobody would ever notice or bother to check
I'm glad of it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Third World Reggin posted:

there was never a good final fantasy game
I keep trying to play Tactics and forgetting about it an hour or two in. I feel bad because theoretically I should love it. What's the best version, March Games Chat Thread?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Big Scary Owl posted:

Is there an official definition for what constitutes a "character action" game?

For example on Steam the Legend of Korra game is tagged as "character action", but a game like say, Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage is classified everywhere as a beat 'em up. You beat up mooks in both games, you have special moves, finishers, level rankings, dodges, parries, etc. What makes the first be classified as a character action game and the second one not?
"A game whose most direct influence is Devil May Cry" is about the best I can think of. It's a very badly-defined genre but I know I usually like the games that fall under it and find "normal" beat-em-ups boring as hell, so it works for me :shrug:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Devil Wears Wings posted:

ah yes, the finer things in life, like my precious grimdark melee combat dying simulator

for you see [dons fedora] only the purest of purestrain gamers can appreciate such fine ambrosia
*tries really hard to think about bad things abouit this game*

it has, uh, combat, haha. and you can die. you can die, in combat hahaha. what a lovely game , for losers.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I sometimes wonder if AC4 would be worth playing and then I remember I was not dropped on my head as a child. Pirates are fun though and I've played Sid Meier's to death.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

"Sales are bad because my compulsive tendency to vacuum up anything that appeals to my impaired judgement and lack of pattern understanding like an obese Labrador eating an entire jar of mayonnaise, throwing it up and eating it again without understanding why it feels sick is the fault of my parents, crazy ted the toilet bully, sociertys lack of appreciation for the needs of the introvert and Gabe Newell." - a gaming goon

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I do not judge anyone for their poster choices, but as an adult I find that the only things I really have room for on my wall anymore are photographs of friends and family, keepsakes from travel or important life events, and the like.

The Year of Luigi is of course an important life event, though.

Get bigger walls

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

gay skull posted:

I hate having pictures of real people up on my walls. I feel like they're constantly judging me, staring at me and reminding me how my life didn't turn out the right way even though I thought I did everything right and having a decent job and education was all I needed. Video game posters and stuff don't judge me and remind me about how much fun they are, so that's why I brought along my game posters and other decorative crap along with me when I grew up.

And I don't really have any keepsakes aside from travel photos, which are all digital. Souvenirs that aren't video game related don't mesh with my collection, and therefore I'd rather just take a photo and keep it digital than have it take up space in my home.
yeah pictures of real people are kinda creepy to have around. Like, at this point in my life, the only people I visit who have photos of real people everywhere are my family, where the photos are of me, and my friends who have kids, where the photos are of their kids. Both of these disturb me for different but often similar reasons.

Though the only posters I really have are a Ziltoid the Omniscient poster which I never got around to hanging up and is faintly embarassing now, and a framed Chris Simpsons Artist print my friend got me for my birthday, which owns, so I basically have no personality I guess.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

You know I think Metal Gear Rising and Godhand are my favorite Platinum/Clover brawler games because they don't have a loving goddamn space shooter section crammed into them. Suda51 does this poo poo too and it drives me insaaaaane. The gimmick is only amusing the first time around, it kills repeat playthroughs.
it's really good that the best and coolest boss fight in Bayonetta is at the end of the most protracted and terrible one of these yet

Revengeance still managed to cram in a 20-second space harrier bit in the Sundowner boss fight, it wasn't really a problem but they just can't loving help themselves lmao

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

there are good tablet/phone games. Hoplite is really good and fun

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

can i tap it for five minutes like once every four hours to receive rewards?
I said Hoplite not my dick

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

They're not if you actually want to have a story and/or you don't have them emote to make up for their lack of talking like Mario in the RPGs. Half-Life 2 is awkward as hell for example because everybody talks to Gordon and he doesn't say anything.
yeah silent protagonists are insanely dumb in a conventional story with conventional dialogue and conversations. I mean I don't remember any cool action movie dudes having particularly nuanced character development but at least they say fun one-liners and grin instead of having a huge cardboard cutout for a face with a "..." speech bubble hanging over it forever.

It worked better I guess when games were more abstract, like 16-bit RPGs, and left more to the imagination. Having some goober just stand there in a frock and occasionally shake his fist while everyone else is animated and moving around interacting with proper 3D objects is awkward as h*ck

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

VideoGames posted:

<alyx vance> Gordon Freeman I presume

<me irl> woah what the gently caress who is this and why did i go down like a bitch wait why is my dude so mute goddamn loving cut scenes
this was my reaction because I unironically want all FPSs to be like Doom and not turn my character into a pussy bitch who loses sometimes

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

VideoGames posted:

this probably belongs in the confessionals but i found it very boring and couldnt stand the combat. i tried so hard to play it and get into it, but Im just not the target audience
nah you're right, it's just an uninspired BG2 retread with worse combat and some of the most horrible RPG areas ever made

someone playtested the Deep Roads and went "yep chief that's some good stuff"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

-The Half-Life 2 formula was getting old when Ep 2 came out in 2007, not even the developers can pretend to be interested in a linear shooter with health packs and giant seesaws anymore.

Agreed. The mefdium of video games has long since evolved past crude holdovers like "health packs", which drag the players time and attention away from our cinematic experiences and epic story's.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cyberball 2072 posted:

ok but i dont want to do anymore physics "puzzles" Im tired of stacking boxes adn that gun that picks things up and throws them has worn out its welcome
yeah those are extremely bad. I mean they were terrible at the time but at least physics engine fuckery was a novelty then

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the Wii Silent Hill owned

horror is the one genre where I think video games have the tool to be directly more effective than any other medium imo

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Star Citizen is terrible, but I'm gonna be honest, I'm really jealous of Roberts for realising that you can make infinite money off lovely nerds forever just by drawing an imaginary spaceship every week or so and letting people order it for absurd prices in a game that doesn't exist.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

What's a good game that I can have some fun in for 1-2 days max and then safely forget about forever.
Shovel Knight, Hotline Miami, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

running around the fortress being chased by dumb shadows that lag the game was extremely less good unfortunately. If the place had just been empty and creepy it would've been perfect, but no, let's remember it's the Infinity Engine at the last moment and throw in some endless trash mobs that make you long for death

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Kins posted:

So who do you think will be the first group to crack the shits and start sending out death threats over the first Pillars of Eternity review to not give it a perfect score? Alpha Protocol fanatics, Fallout New Vegas fanatics or the weirdos who recommend spending hours installing 100gb of conflicting romance mods before you can truly play Baldur's Gate 2?

I dunno but they'll be the exact same people who mock rpgcodex grognards (or insert anyone else who dares to like old games I dunno) for taking games too seriously

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Pillars of Eternity is a crpg coming out this week made by Obsidian. Alot of people are hype about it because it's been made as a successor to the old infinity engine games (baldur's gate, icewind dale, planescape torment) but without the bullshit old d&d mechanics and obtuse character building. It does looks like it's going to be really good
In fairness they basically billed it as a successor to those games and have since been relentlessly mocking and belittling anyone who wants it to be like those games so while I'm looking forward to it I can see why that rubbed ppl up the wrong way

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I don't think stating stuff like 'hard counters isn't good game design' is brutal mockery even if you disagree it. I can see why alot of devs don't discuss design online though when stating your opinion is constituted as a deep, personal attack against an entire group of people
nah it's more that everyone who disagrees with their ideas for game design is, in their words, a dumb grognard who doesn't know what he actually wants

the fact that this is probably true does help though

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I took Crimzon Clover. Semper Games.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm playing Starfox 3D and I forgot how good the game was on N64. Now it's even better. The 3DS is a good system. Semper games.

edit: though is it me or is the voice acting even worse and why did the celebration parade take place in a gay hangar in front of like three people instead of the big ceremony hall from the original? this is bs. im gay

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Is RE6 fun at all in co-op because 5 was bad even then

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Spec Ops is a fun shooter with a cool unique setting and a lot of interesring scenarios; fighting through a ravaged Dubaii where survivors have turned an abandoned mall into a tenement slum and the aquarium is the only source of potable water is :krad: and the fact that so many people turned on it for having some metacommentary is really disappointing.
i enjoyed the part where you hide behind a wall and shoot men with guns while your health recharges . it was awesome and not at all banal and mediocre aside from some cool graffiti

also i didn't actually play it because i was playing fun stuff instead

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

and sometimes a thing is spec ops : the line

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I once replaced all the Morrowind battle music with 80s Europop

hearing RA RA RASPUTIN signalling the entrance of a majestic mudcrab sadly sidling towards me never got old

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

This is actually true of most Final Fantasy games, come to think of it. The meat of the mechanics is always toward the end. Even FF VI takes a pretty long time to get you all of the abilities or even introduce magicite.
you can always spot a fuckin scrub when they say the World of Ruin was "bad" or "too unfocused". I hated most FFs (except 1 for a certain weird basic charm) but that poo poo owned hard

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

there wasn't enough story in it or some dumb poo poo lmao

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rexicon1 posted:

What did they change in ds2 since launch?
you can no longer play as any other character than big strength dude w greatsword

i don't know why anyone ever would though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ahh, this game has cool melee combat with a high skill ceiling and tight, satisfying controls? That sounds good, but instead ..... let me run away from stuff and press this one button, for 40 hours

• Locked thread