Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Henron posted:

I really wish Darkest_Mage would stop streaming, that dude is literally the most insufferable person I've ever had the misfortune of watching.

It's probably for the best that he doesn't: If he stopped streaming I assume he'd need to get a real job, and I wouldn't want anyone to have to deal with him as an employee/coworker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

I was under the impression streaming + playing magic was his main source of income. In any case, It's best to think of full-time professional streaming as collecting disability for being an insufferable nerd.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Lobsterpillar posted:

What if they have a land card in hand?

The guy who just drew his whole deck is probably going to have a lot more lands in hand than the guy who didn't!

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

There were a bunch of Eggs defenders because being unironically terrible is appealing apparently

Well, Eggs was cheap to build, fun to goldfish, had no interesting deck building decisions, and you could basically never scoop after they went off because there was always the potential to fizzle. So basically the anti-twin.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

barberchop making top 16 proves control lives in Modern

prison decks are basically the best thing ever.

reprint stasis.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Also people like playing cards with Command in the name. Because they're sweet.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Won an IQ/GPT for GP Pittsburgh... I guess I'm going to GP Pittsburgh.... Now if only I knew what the hell to play in Modern.
Follow your heart and play Grixis Delver.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

LC's argument only makes sense if card power level is a constant gentle slope. Then choosing the cutoff would be arbitrary. In reality there is a fairly flat power level among Modern/Legacy playables with a few enormous spikes. With the spikes the universe of acceptably strong cards for deck building is a dozen or so. Without them you have hundreds of cards that can all be played because, while some are stronger than others in one area or another, none is strong enough to wholly invalidate broad swathes of others.

Well yeah. It should be self-evident with just a bit of critical thought that WotC's goal (or one of them, at least) in having a heavily curated format like modern is to maximize the number of competitively viable decks in as wide a variety of playstyles as possible.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Granted I don't follow Modern as much as many people ITT but isn't Modern known for not having many competitive viable decks in the format? Isn't it like the same top 5 that take turns winning?

Weird jank doesn't have a history of winning Opens or PT's does it?

The chief complaint pros have about modern as a competitive format is that there are so many powerful strategies which attack you at such disparate angles that you can't really solve the format and just bring the Best Deck like you can in standard, and a lot of your games come down to how much sideboard hate you/your opponents pack/draw.

Consider that two of the stronger strategies right now are a janky Lantern of Insight prison deck and a weird Amulet of Vigor combo deck: both of which look like piles of hot garbage at first glance. Or that tron, affinity, twin, scapeshift, tokens, zoo, living end, BGx midrange, elves, infect, boggles, merfolk, grixis delve (with and without delver), and burn all still post tournament results to some degree or another.

Edit: like even if, say, some sort of midrangey pile of good cards like junk or grixis is the best deck in the format by whatever measure you want to use, there's a huge pile of decks that are close enough to that mark that there's a huge variety of options in a bunch of different archetypes that all have a realistic chance of placing well at a large tournament, which would certainly not be the case if f. ex. blazing shoal and hyper genesis were legal.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 19, 2015

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Ban everything.

I, personally, will not be happy until the Modern format consists of Squire attacking through Goblin Elite Infantry, forever.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Modern legal, even. Counter spells are pretty bad when you're not getting an advantage on mana or cards is the lesson here, I think.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Barry Shitpeas posted:

It's also worth noting that "good game design" is not an objective thing, and sales figures and surveys are basically the only metrics they can measure it by.
Any metric that suggests Monopoly or Exploding Kittens are well designed games is not a remotely useful metric to anyone who will actually end up playing the game in question.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Booyah- posted:

I didn't see this posted here:

Seems fun for EDH I guess? Also finally some abstract art.

It (including the art) is a reprint :ssh:

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Ignore it and move on with your life and worry about actual things that actually matter like going to work, paying your bills, etc. There will always be retards like this. If I stopped and got mad and wanted to start a crusade about all the stupid stuff that people do daily nothing would ever get done.

Oh no, noted pubbie said some dumb things let's get all outraged about it! I don't know why people even waste their energy on poo poo like this.

Heaven forbid that people ask that paid media personalities for their hobby refrain from spouting offensive nonsense while recording and broadcasting themselves to an audience. It's not like magic players have a reputation for being awful human beings with an inability to tolerate diversity or anything like that.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

Also out of pure interest: What are people, say top 5 Constructed Deck Archetypes? Any Constructed format be it Vintage or any Standard. Not deck lists just Archetypes.
In no particular order:
Astral Slide (standard/extended)
RUG Delver (legacy)
UR Cloudpost (mtgo pauper)
UG Madness (standard)
Storm (lots of formats)

Some of these are on the list by looking back through rose-tinted glasses, undoubtedly.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

kizudarake posted:

My main modern decks are amulet bloom, bogles, living end, GW coco elves, Naya burn, and soul sisters. We had two guys build lantern control and bring it in at my store. What are good sideboard cards for that?

I've found Stony Silence, artifact sweepers (Creeping Corrosion/Shatterstorm/Vandalblast), and Ancient Grudge to be good in decks that can support them, and I assume Ingot Chewer is pretty sweet in Living End.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

JerryLee posted:

"Fly us higher, out of his posts."
-Zephirum, captain of the Megathread

"Everything the goon learned, he wrote in the thread, and when the pages were full of effort posts, he took poo poo posts and began again." - JerryLee, Forum Poster

• Locked thread