Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Attorney at Funk posted:

People get excited at the weirdest poo poo.

On that note, this is a reminder for the new thread that Silumgar's necklace is Tasigur's dead rear end body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Entropic posted:

Are there actually people mad about the Tarkir dragons being let into the Elder club because of ~*~nebulous lore reasons ~*~ why they aren't deserving of the title?

Grognards gonna grog.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So who killed Sidisi? Has that been explained? Are all the Khans going to be undead (or dead) besides Narset?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I'm pretty sure if Tasigur isn't an artifact in Dragons I'm going to cry irl.

E: Tasigur the Bling - 4

2T: Turn your graveyard facedown, shuffle it, then put the top card into your hand.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's Slumdog Dragonnaire or we're fighting.

Scrooge McDragon is vastly superior.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Instead of Megamorph they should have added a third mechanic that allows you to play facedown cards and flip them. Make this block as complicated as possible.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Entropic posted:

Why is Athreos still 10 bucks when it hasn't show up in any competitive deck anywhere? Is it an EDH thing?

Even the unplayable multi color gods are like $10. I think they're popular casual cards.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

This counts creatures, right?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

qbert posted:

Actually, Omenspeaker wouldn't be a terrible choice.

Omenspeaker and Jeskai Sage are both not terrible.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Blanking their turn and their next draw is sometimes better than just blanking their turn. You gain tempo instead of just a straight 1-1 trade.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Wall chat got me to realize the Onslaught Wall of Mulch was a hideous photoshop edit of a painting (I thought it was a bad photoshop original).

The original was restored in the M15 reprint.

Actually I'd be willing to bet that the M15 version looks better because of Photoshop.

For them to have gotten the Onslaught version from the "original painting" they would have literally had to go in and add things that weren't there like the spikes in the mulch and the shadow on the overhanging leaf. I don't know Wizard's art policy but I'm guessing they just tweak maybe color and contrast a little if anything, and don't full on add poo poo that wasn't there.

What more likely happened is that an artist got better in the 12 year period between Onslaught and M15 and when they requested the art again (not sure how they store files) the artist digitally repainted it with more skill and modern Photoshop that looks more like real painting.

Sorry, Photoshop is one of my trigger words.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Rinkles posted:

"I was told to make a wall of forest detritus and man-made odds and ends. Later somebody went around my AD and got some poor dude in Production to mutilate it in Photoshop. Thus the illustration you see here and the card don't quite match.

This, too, sometimes happens, dear ones. Just take the money and move on. ;)"

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Wall-of-Mulch-70658352

That's serious bullshit that Wizards straight altered it. I would have demanded they remove my credit. I hope their policy is better now.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

I love rk post's artwork to bits but that's not really a good example of them ruining one of his pieces. I'm not really sure why the original seems to be framed around the troll doll on her shoulder, for one.

Offcentering your subject is an extremely basic compositional technique. Also it lets the wings look more impressive.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

If you doublesleeved the same direction the top of the card would see considerably more wear.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Entropic posted:

Are there clear sleeves designed to go over top of normal sized sleeves (which could have perfect fits inside them already) to protect them or did I just imagine that in a fever dream?

Yes Ultra Pro makes some called sleeve protectors. I accidentally bought a pack once.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

It's really awesome in topdeck mode against Abzan and... probably not much else. Mardu mid I guess?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

My thought: If there's a Mardu Midrange Dragons deck, its not gonna be playing this. Its gonna be playing Kolaghan-1, probably as a 1 or 2 of to blow opponents out.

This is a casual card - most of the text on the card isn't typically going to be relevant - if a 6/5 hasty flier sticks to the board you are going to win anyways.

Yeah, that's fair.

It wouldn't be an awful finisher if Grixis control were to become a thing. It'd be way cooler if it was all spells and not just creatures or walkers, though. Hero's Downfall already in the grave? Fuuuuuck yooooou.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

You gotta play around the fact that while it's on board you can't play poo poo that got murdered. Not too hard I guess?

Granted, couple people were saying the new Ob Nixilus would see play if fetchlands became a thing, but that never happened, unfortunately.

I mean common sense should say that it's not going to hurt much to not crack a fetchland by turn 6 so you're just paying 6 mana for a 4/4 flying trampler that can potentially get bigger, which isn't very good at all.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Has anyone commented on how loving awful the Narset art is? It looks like some deviant art comic book fan drawing. Especially after that art they posted and took down that looked planeswalkery and way better. Guess we know what the grand prize will be for getting the most dragon dice points at prerelease.

E: I looked up the artist and all of his other cards are great. I don't know why he seems to have lost his sense of perspective/anatomy for Narset. Those arms.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 4, 2015

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

The prize was supposedly rare dragons, ie probably the intro pack dragons.

I agree that the other art looked better but I don't super-hate this art given how bad it could get.

It could be way worse, I agree. Just going to call her Narset T-rexin'. And I was (mostly) joking about the prerelease.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

But seriously, none of her abilities are good enough to justify switching to UW and none of them are even tailored toward control.

Yeah, drawing non creature spells and doubling kill, draw and wrath spells are totally not things control wants.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Evolving Wilds first appeared in the block with fetchlands and is limited fodder for drafting an ally color set with a three color set.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

New Dromolka cements me building Bant superfriends. It will like fold to everything but it will destroy UB control and that alone will be worth it.

Come on 1G ramp spell...

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Does it though? Seems like in a lot of control games, they'll have wiped your board on turn 5 and then have single target removal waiting on their turn 6, in which case Dromoka has done nothing.

Just that card on its own? No. In a Bant superfriends deck that wipes will essentially be pointless against? Yes.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

forbidden lesbian posted:

yes, but i allow concessions to reality on that since nobody wants to see a bunch of killer turkeys running around in Magic, even if they have six inch claws that can eviscerate you

These opinions do not align with my own.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

The art is clearly meant to show Gideon is from Theros. I don't think it's even appropriate to call it a theory.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

hmm yes let me tell you my treatise on the nature of trolling in the wizard poker thread *puts pipe in mouth and blows out bubbles*

Hey if it stops Angry Grimace posting about cards I say it's a good thing.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I really wish they would stop trying to make warriors a thing

It's probably the most fun archetype to draft.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Cool 7 mana =/

Not confirmed but lovely enough that it's likely real.

E: it's real.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Yeah the person who initially posted didn't say where they got it.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Where are the other rebound cards.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Lol at Hearthstone releasing a dragon themed expansion in the first week of April.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

A cycle of DFC planeswalkers is absolutely retarded.

Also can't wait for LotV to hit $150-200 now that there's basically no way she's being reprinted in the next year.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Zendikar was the set that got me back into the game after not playing since Weatherlight and it was a really fun block with some cool mechanics, but I feel like it was pretty lame and generic flavor-wise. I kinda wish they just said the Eldrazi destroyed Zendikar and continued that story on a new plane with more flavor than "generic adventure plane" and especially so after seeing the list of all the themed planes they want to do, all of which sound way cooler than a return to Zendikar. Like it's way more exciting seeing how goblins and merfolk and stuff change appearance based on the theme of the plane they're on than having the regular old versions.

Meh, excited to see Landfall and enemy manlands at least. And lol at people who said all ten fetches in the same standard would be too much and they'd never do it.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Xir posted:

I am looking forward to the enemy manlands as well. I'm hoping the return to Zendikar shows it as a nightmare world, eldrich horrors pouring from the seams. Then point Zendikar as the Eldrazi home base at New Phyrexia and have a battle royale to determine which force of evil will rule supreme.

Magic: the Thunderdoming

Okay that sounds pretty awesome. I hope they go balls out on the Lovecraft elements.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Theres two Prowess deck playable cards that give it indestructible for cheap.

Also wtf at that Thoughtseize cheat being labeled a mistake. How blatant do you need to be.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

You could easily get an opponent DQ'd by sneaking an extra card into his hand.

Uh, and when he instantly notices and calls a judge on you? How the hell do you think this would work? Where are you sneaking the card from?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

I am not going to help you cheat, have some integrity mr. mephistopheles.

Pleeeease?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Dohaeris posted:

I'm working on a Sultai Control deck and so far it's coming along nicely. Still need to hunt down 4 decently priced Temple of Malady, and maybe an extra Garruk or Ugin. Apparently everyone is running Thoughtseize though, which is rather expensive. I've got one, do I really need to drop 60 bucks on three more? Can Despise function as a decent substitute? Planning to try to go to a Standard event sometime next week for the first time.

You're complaining about the price of Thoughtseize, a card that is going to be playable forever and will never dip in price while talking about buying four of a crazy overpriced land that is going to be like a tenth of its current price the second it rotates out of standard? Your priorities seem askew. I think Despise is better than it gets credit for and will see some play at rotation, but not being able to grab spells is huge. I play Sultai control and I just use the one Malady I opened myself and sub the rest with the UB and UG temples because those are only like a buck, which is what they should be and I never have mana issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god black is libertarians.

• Locked thread