Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Can you please link to the last thread in the OP? I like having that for going through the years quickly sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Spiderdrake posted:

The bird of paradise has to zoom in through the tempest to have haste obviously. It's like a boost pad in a kart racing game.

What happens if you have this card and Wonder in your graveyard with the necessary island?

Creatures you play would gain flying in time to get haste from the triggered ability.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Is it time to buy Crucible of Fire?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

This counts creatures, right?

Yes.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Starving Autist posted:

Can't wait to play that shaman.... in EDH, that is.

I wonder if they'll ban it, because Sheldon hates Biorhythm but the Shaman gives you plenty of warning before he potentially kills off some players.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Spiderdrake posted:

How many hard, unconditional counters without wonky drawbacks are a single blue in their casting cost? I'm sure there are some, but I'm drawing a blank.

Also maybe the Silumgar command has the other half, to spread the mechanic out a little.

There are three, and two come from Return to Ravnica. Dromar's Charm, Fall of the Gavel, and Psychic Strike.

He said hard counter, that means no paying mana or whatever to get around it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I Love You! posted:

Memory Lapse depending on your definition of "Counter"

I count putting the spell on top as a drawback. There's also Remand, and Vex which counters the spell but lets the opponent draw a card.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I Love You! posted:

Man putting a spell back on top is definitely not a drawback in decks running memory lapse

Why? If you counter a bomb, it's in the graveyard. If you Memory Lapse a bomb, they cast it again soon. The only formats Memory Lapse get played in now are Cube and Commander, which are both bomby.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

LordSaturn posted:

The same argument applies to Remand, except Lapse is -1 card for each of you.

Remand and Memory Lapse are both worse than Counterspell in cube, if you can support UU. Of course, if I were trying to draft that deck I'd be happy to play all three.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lord Of Texas posted:

The MTGO Cube is not equal to "Cube". A well-built cube is not bomby unless that was the designer's intention.

Memory Lapse is sick and putting it on top is not a drawback unless you're comparing to Counterspell, which isn't a fair comparison (it's like comparing burn spells to Lightning Bolt.)

It's OK for a counterspell to be worse than Counterspell and still be playable, just like a burn spell can be worse than Lightning Bolt and still playable. Giving your opponent a 100% chance of drawing a spell next turn is usually worse than casting Counterspell and hoping your opponent has a worse card on top of their deck. When we're ignoring mana costs, Memory Lapse is worse than a hard counter, but it's a good card because it costs 1U to cast. There are other 1U counterspells that may or may not be better than Memory Lapse, like Mana Leak and Remove Soul, that depend on context.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I once drafted a five-colour Shimmering Grotto deck in Innistrad, because someone told me not to. I had Grimgrin and Mikaeus, it was glorious.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Narset is good with Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time, which is a bad sign for her future in Modern. She's terrible with Sphinx's Revelation and Blue Sun's Zenith. I think there's a nonzero chance we see her in Vintage, because control decks in that format run only about 17 lands and tons of creatures. Her advantages in Vintage are:

- 7 starting loyalty if you plus her, 4 if you minus her, so she's immortal against a lot of decks in the format.
- First ability is about a 2/3 chance of drawing a card, although not quite as much value as Jace.
- Second ability can double very powerful Vintage spells like Ancestral Recall, Time Walk, and Treasure Cruise.
- Ultimate completely locks out every deck except Shops and Null Rod aggro, whereas Dack Fayden sees play despite an ultimate that doesn't do anything.

Downsides:
- 2WU mana cost. The only 4+ mana planeswalkers in Vintage are Jace TMS and Tezzeret the Seeker, the latter of whom is a one-card "You win the game next turn".
- She competes with Jace to be placed in the same kind of deck.
- Vintage decks don't have many cards that support her -2, though the ones they have are very good.

Forget Modern, I so want to play Narset in a deck with one-ofs Ancestral Recall, Time Walk, Treasure Cruise, and Demonic Tutor.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mcmagic posted:

She will be a 3-4 of in Modern too.

What will she double? I think she'll be good in every format where either Dig Through Time or Treasure Cruise is legal, but Modern is not on that list.

I'm giddy thinking about running Narset in Vintage. Imagine: -2 Narset, cast Demonic Tutor, find Time Walk. On your extra turn, Demonic Tutor rebounds for Yawgmoth's Will, letting you recast Time Walk.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I Love You! posted:

I'm not sure it honestly even matters what you give rebound in vintage, you're winning if it resolves.

Not necessarily - if you draw 6 cards, but none of those cards interacts with a Blightsteel Colossus or a storm-10 Tendrils of Agony, you might lose. Although Vintage has some deadly two-card combos like Voltaic Key + Time Vault or Time Walk + Tinker, so rebounding a Demonic Tutor with Narset means you are likely to win on the next turn.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lord Of Texas posted:

Yep, and the other one can get you a Time Vault and Voltaic Key in succession.

(Narset doesn't seem Vintage playable as long as Jace is around. And then still probably not. She takes way too long to affect the game state meaningfully at 4 mana.)

I've lost a lot of games despite having Jace, he's fairly weak in Vintage at the moment because there are a lot of Lightning Bolts in the format. I think Narset is worth giving a shot, because I love the idea of chaining good spells with her.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

And G/B garruk was like $30 at release and barely touches $10 now. Rarely will walkers hold extreme, preorder value, they aren't usually good preorder bets.

More like never. I think after noticing every walker ever spikes to about $40 early on, places stopped making them available for cheap preorder.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mcmagic posted:

I'm not going to be preordering Narset at 35 bucks or more. You're losing all the value there.

I'm the one arguing that she'll be good in Vintage, and even I'm not dumb enough to preorder her at that price.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I once traded away a Scavenging Ooze for four Goblin Guides.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There's one group of goblins that's the scrappy, inventive underdogs, and then there are the goblins that are silly comic relief. I like the scrappy kind better, and they're still very funny sometimes. Of course, my favourite goblin flavourwise is a bit of both:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Count Bleck posted:

I mean Durdle Turtle can be fun sometimes.

I like to call him Durdle the Turtle, because I grew up on Doctor Seuss.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I love that he's an Ironclaw Orc, with an additional drawback and additional upside, for 1 mana less. I love callbacks to early Magic, even when they do things like Treasure Cruise.

The other cards spoiled today are all cards I'd be delighted to play in Limited, though I don't have any other decks to fit them into right now.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Hellsau posted:

It probably had Flying instead of Deathtouch but the artist heard "Raptor" and thought dinosaur instead of bird and they had to change the card to match the art.

The art guides now are detailed enough that that doesn't happen anymore.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Does anyone else cast Force of Will by dismissively flipping both cards out of your hand? I mean, I've only ever cast it when borrowing other people's cards, but hopefully that'll change soon.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

bhsman posted:

Like, ever? Or as a rare in Dragons?

It's not on the Reserve List so they're probably trying to think of a way to reprint it someday, but I doubt they want it in Standard or Modern.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rinkles posted:

Mini impulse

It's just a worse Impulse, I guess they decided Impulse is a bit too good for Standard. Still interesting and will see a bit of play.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gyshall posted:

Here is a man

gently caress, I wanted my Alesha Tiny Leaders deck to be B/R only, but I don't know if I can justify that now.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Elyv posted:

Speaking of how far we've come, Ironclaw Orcs was literally a 4 of in a deck that was at least tier 1.5 at one point.

I feel old.

When Sligh first came out it was dominant, because that deck invented the idea of a mana curve.

I played Ironclaw Orcs two years ago in a Legacy Tribal Wars tournament that had a special price for anyone who went 2-1 with a deck using only cards from the first five sets in Magic history. That one didn't work, but I managed to go 2-1 with a land-destruction Bird tribal deck the next week. I had to run Bird Maiden because those early sets do not have many birds.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Jorath posted:

Please tell me you played Rukh Egg.
Was the rest Ice Storm, Stone Rain, Fissure, Strip Mine, Lightning Bolt? I presume you ran Thermokarst if Ice Age was legal.

Yeah, that's about right. I also had Llanowar Elves and Kudzu, no Strip Mine because it's banned in Legacy.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't know how a Murder Mystery themed set would work but suddenly I really want it.
"Exile a creature card from your hand face down and announce its power. Target opponent names a card. Reveal the exiled card and return it to your hand, and if it is not the revealed card, Murder Mystery does damage equal to that creatures power to target creature or player."

Um

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I don't want good cards to be mythic. Good cards that are going to be format staples should be uncommon or rare, as long as the impact on Limited is not too severe. I rejoice at lovely mythics because I won't see them much, and the actually good cards won't have to be super expensive.

Even my phone knows what's up, after typing "lovely mythics" it autocorrected "because" to "nexuses".

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rinkles posted:

Any quick way of spotting fakes?

You probably can't tell from the lovely picture, but the Hymns are much paler than newer cards and their backs a smidgeon redder. I was just wondering whether the print technique changed that much (other old cards tend to also be paler but these stood out).

I don't have delusions of these being worth anything, just curious.

Those are real because they are worthless, I'm sure no one ever bothered making counterfeit Hymns. Older printings are much less consistent, which is why those look odd. One of the best anti-counterfeit measures on Magic cards is a blue sheet between the front and back cardstock, which you can see if you inspect the edge of the card with a magnifying glass. Like I said, there's no way those particular cards are fake, but you can practice finding the blue line on old cards with those.

Gensuki posted:

..."[b]K[b]ytheon [b]Iora[b]s" eh? Sure alright. Gideon

Does Kytheon mean anything in Greek? Gideon was an important Judge in the Bible.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 6, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

bhsman posted:

Daze is objectively better in one aspect, however. :v:

Existing?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ramos posted:

I want this to make blue devotion a thing, but I know better.

I was halfway through checking out an order of Master of Waves before remembering I don't play Standard anymore.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

jassi007 posted:

I did this Monday when Narset was released, i bought 4 end hostilities before my brain caught up and reminded me I'm not going to spend whatever it would take to build UW control in standard.

Yeah, I have Small Red that I built for $8 and it crushes all the Standard decks at the university Magic club, so instead I focus my energies on hilarious decks like Old Fogey or Shakespeare flavourtext.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

jassi007 posted:

You post this as a joke, but I wonder if Splinter Twin would replace Flame Slash with this?

No, it won't. The extra mana really hurts a fast deck like Splinter Twin.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cactrot posted:

The card should have read:
Flying
Prowess
Prowess

That's obviously way too powerful, a Stifle can't get both of those triggers.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

EatinCake posted:

So because the DFC planeswalkers start as Legendary Creatures, they can be used for EDH, right? Count me aboard the hype train.

Yes. Now I wonder if my Alesha Tiny Leaders deck will just turn into mono-black Liliana in a few months.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

qbert posted:

It is? I thought 8th Ed to Alara Reborn precludes a LotV reprint.

MM15 is 8th to New Phyrexia, but you're right anyway.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

redstormpopcorn posted:

:suicide:

As someone who missed the first Zendikar block and retrospectively loves the poo poo out of the Eldrazi concept, I cannot goddamn wait for fall.

You can cast it from outside the game by shuffling 3 specific creatures into your library from play? It's big and beefy, and has an ability where you flip 3 coins. 3 heads means destroy all creatures your opponents control, 2 means your opponents' creatures lose all abilities until end of turn, and 1 means bounce all your creatures. Kind of reminds me of an Eldrazi Spirit of the Night that's way too complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

GoutPatrol posted:

Good things come to those who draft.

Still went 1-2

You made more money than the guy that went 3-0, though.

• Locked thread