Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

If it's whenever a dragon is targeted this thing will be bug poo poo crazy and curving it into Stormbreath will kick rear end. If it's whenever this is targeted it's still super good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I could not possibly be more ready for a new Command cycle.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I want UW control because Fated Retribution seems like it does a lot against decks that use Elspeth and Sorin to be resilient to Wraths.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Look if they print a 1R Dragon that's Legacy playable they can do whatever the gently caress they want

Kickass Valuedragon
1R
Creature- Dragon
Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield, sacrifice a nonbasic land.
3/2

:getin:

obviously way too strong for standard. maybe if I changed it to "sacrifice two lands?"

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

So the question is: is the midrange Skies deck pure R, R/B for OG Kolaghan, R/W for Wingmate Roc, or what?

I see Stormbreath, Thunderbreak, and some number of Ashcloud or Flamewake Phoenixes. That 1/3 dragon-cheapener might be worth it as well. Is Dragon Tempest worth it?
There's supposed to be a monocolored rare cycle and a monocolored uncommon cycle, right?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

I want an entire set illustrated by Phil Foglio.

Bonus points if that set is Return to New Phyrexia.

Foglio and diTerlizzi, my dream team.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

This card with Dragon Tempest is beyond insane as a finisher, especially in the color of Dragon Fodder (how amusingly literal) and Hordeling Outburst. Still too expensive to see Standard play probably.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Someone talk me off the ledge. UR Hour of Dragons combo seems like a real deck. If you have Dragon Tempest out and they have no flying blockers resolving the dragon token maker on 3 creatures wins on the spot. With blockers you need 4 or 5, but... playing R gives you the combo, Hordeling Outburst and Dragon Fodder, plus Rabblemaster if you want. U gives you Omenspeaker, Anticipation, and Dig Through Time to find combo pieces, Battlefield Thaumaturge to make your kill card cost RR, and countermagic to protect your combo. Add burn spells to taste.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Bugsy posted:

Your spoiler review gimmick loving sucks.

I dunno, it'll do well in my stupid gimmick EDH deck.

Also Anafenza works really really well with Dash. RW aggro?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Blue has Counterspell if you have Dragonthreshold and Force Spike if you don't. Red gets Searing Blaze if you have Dragonthreshold and Thunderclap if you don't. One of these things seems much better than the other.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

bhsman posted:

Hedonist's Trove seems like it would be awesome to drop in a blue-based Control mirror and just start looting their counters and Treasure Cruise spells (plus incidental lands from Tasigur activations?) while depriving them of Delve fuel.

The trade-off is the double blue requirement, I'm guessing.

I meant the red one is much better, since even in the fail case it's a decent card and in the succeed case it's a Legacy-playable burn spell (not saying that this is legacy playable, since it clearly isn't, but Searing Blaze is).

As for Descent of Dragons combo, that chart is stupid. You have a lot of flexibility for the combo, you just need three creatures for the kill, though four allows you to drop Tempest/Thaumaturge and Descent on the combo turn. I'm going to play the deck but I'm not under any illusions about how good it is. It'll steal free wins from people, though, and I like that you can sideboard it very aggressively-- I'm going to fill my board with burn spells and more efficient dudes.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

RME posted:

Oh man this is like getting to play my friend's EDH decks while I get to play my own EDH deck
thanks wizards, great addition!

Ok I liked this post

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Is Ire Shaman the first female Orc we've seen on a card?

Hey, you don't know how Zurgo identifies.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Boco_T posted:

Considering I just put together Modern Green Stompy and was excited to slam Garruk's Companion in there, I am quite excited to see a Garruk's Companion that gets a +1 counter off of an Experiment One.

This does not interact with X1 the way you hope it does.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Mercury Crusader posted:

I like this. Good in early game, useful in late game. I may just abandon my Mardu Warriors tribal thing just for more aggro-y creatures that are good on their own accord.

I like this one a lot, but I don't think you want to cast any of them face up-- pikers are just not impressive in this Standard-- and while I am a fan of the extremely cheap Megamorph cost on this I don't think you particularly want to cast it face down either. A 4-mana 3/2 that might sometimes draw you a card is not really what aggressive red decks want to be doing. The green and white ones both provide value because you can manifest them off of Whisperwood Elementals or Mastery of the Unseens and then they provide card advantage for cheap.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Narset is probably better in Legacy Miracles than anywhere in Modern, because she goes really really well with Top. Whether she's good enough to actually see play is another story. If I had Miracles sleeved I'd probably be willing to go to 3x Jace 1x Narset just for shits and giggles but I'm not actually sure that's better than just 4 Jaces.

EDIT: the big thing arguing against her there is that the spell you really want to rebound in Miracles, Terminus, you can't because of the nature of Miracle triggers. You can double up on StP I guess, which is underwhelming, or on a draw spell (Dig Through Time) which is better, but there's nothing sorcery speed that you really want to resolve twice on two successive turns in that deck. Drawing an extra card a turn is really nice though.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 10, 2015

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Narset probably isn't playable in modern currently but comparing her power level to any Jace is silly and giving any spell rebound is a really difficult ability to evaluate without playtesting.

Is the first Narset better than the first Jace? No, absolutely not, not even close. Is she better than the fourth Jace in a deck full of the best card selection ever printed? Maaaaaaaaybe.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Everyone is focusing on Twin but this card also owns Resto Angel and Colonnade and those are both pretty relevant.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Okay well I guess I just straight up disagree then. Jace 1 is more versatile but when built around I think Narset is way more powerful.

sorry no I meant the first copy of JTMS in a Legacy Miracles deck. I think we're talking about different use cases entirely.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Those aren't aren't played in T1 decks right now and there was already a hoser for them in Combust.

yeah you're right why would anyone play the 1cmc version when there's a 2cmc option available already

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

These things are all really cool. Banners were pretty bad in Limited because the fixing was good enough that you didn't need them and paying three to draw a card once in the lategame is meh. If the Khans refuges don't make it into this set (the ally-color ones might?) the fixing will be more valuable, and a 6 mana 4/4 flyer with Dragon tribal interactions is probably good enough to make the cut in this format. Dodging sorcery speed removal is a plus. Of course this draft environment could end up radically different from Khans, but having something to dump your mana into later on is always nice, and these both ramp and fix, two important things when you're trying to unmorph Megamorphs or cast dragons.

edit: obviously this is Limited only

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

The thing is we already have fairly Mirrodin-specific allied fastlands, and it'd have to be an allied cycle if there's just five (or a monocolored cycle I guess).
A thought: ally-colored ETBT typed dual lands.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Well, right now we're really far at the "everything is overcosted" end of the pendulum so I'd like it moved back to the other side please

The power level in KTK-FRF was fine. DTK seems a little weaker, but not as bad as Theros block, DGM or Gatecrash. There's a lot of stuff here that's suuuuuper close to (or actually) playable in Standard, like the Piker Megamorph cycle, Sidisi, Ojutai, the hoser cycle, Roast, Thunderbreak etc.

A set based on expensive dudes is full of expensive dudes, shock. I think this is a half-step down from KTK/FRF in power level but to say it's at the same level as the past few sets is just wrong.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Madmarker posted:

I mean, I want to be playing legacy instead of Modern. But honestly, the only change I'd make to modern as it is would be to somehow forcibly inject Wasteland into the format.

Well, this makes sense. You prefer Legacy so you'd like to add the one card to Modern that would kill the format so that Legacy remains the only option.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Why they decided to slow roll this cycle, who knows

well this one is better than the others, but is still completely unplayable poo poo even in limited

TheKingofSprings posted:

[citation needed]

hm yes what modern really needs is something to further punish painful manabases so the underrepresented decks like burn and twin will have a chance to shine

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 11, 2015

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Madmarker posted:

A hexproof 3/3 flier for 6 that is also a 2/2 for 3 is quite playable in limited, albeit unexciting.

normally I would agree, but this set has TWO cycles of uncommon 4/4 flyers for 6 with better upsides, plus it seems like every other bomb rare is a big fat flyer

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Madmarker posted:

You are vastly underestimating the fact that it can just act as curve filler as a gray ogre, and in the late game, it to can become a 4/4 flier. It acts to both smooth your draws and be a curve topper simultaneously. I'm not saying this is first pick material, but I could see myself taking it 4-6 pick and not being terribly depressed about it.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree for now and see how the set plays out. If I'm casting something facedown I'd much rather it flip into something beefier, since by the time I have 7 (!) mana available to turn it over I could flipping Aerie Bowmasters, Stormcrag Elemental, Salt Road Ambushers, or any of the beefy commons likely to be revealed-- all of those eat a flipped Dragon except for the Ambushers, and they have a huge potential upside. Meanwhile I'd much rather cast one of the 6-drops face up. There is some curve-smoothing versatility here, but the reason Glacial Stalker is sweet and Ainok Tracker isn't is that one of those bodies is way more relevant in the lategame when you're flipping morphs up.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

People saying that Myth Realized is a bad lategame topdeck are ignoring the mana sink portion of it. When you're playing UW control, the "lategame" often sees you have 10+ mana available, which means you can topdeck it, play it, pump three counters into it on your opponent's EOT, untap, put two more on it, activate it and have countermagic available to protect it from the creature removal it is only now vulnerable to. "Dies to removal" has always been a stupid loving argument. It does die to enchantment removal, which is sometimes maindecked, but so do Banishing Light, Chained to the Rocks (which Jeskai control builds will certainly use), Jeskai Ascendancy etc. Hell, even Suspension Field and Silkwrap are potentially playable vs. Abzan and aggro respectively.

Also playing MR on turn 1 is just insane value because over the course of the first few turns with you countering and removing and whatnot you get a giant, hard-to-remove creature for almost no investment.

I'm sometimes willing to go out on a limb for cards that personally appeal to me and I've been catastrophically wrong before, most recently with Fruit of the First Tree which I expected to be very good in Limited. MR just seems like a giant package of value and unlike the other two weird 1-mana build-around-me enchantments in the block (Hardened Scales and Retribution of the Ancestors) it actually seems to do something without an insane amount of setup.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Zoness posted:

Hey whoa lets not get carried away here. Insane value would mean it also drew you some cards or was absolutely unkillable.

It's certainly good value though.

I'm willing to say that a 1 mana, 1 card investment that later gets you a 5/5 or bigger that dodges almost all sorcery speed removal is pretty insane value.

EDIT: In a controlly deck full of countermagic and removal obviously. It's a lot less good if you're playing RW aggro or something and this is your turn 1 play and you're planning to pump it with burn or whatever. I do not endorse that plan.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Wezlar posted:

I don't think dropping Myth Realized on turn 1 is very valuble at all. You need to play non creatures on turns 2 and 3 to even attack or block as a 2/2 on turn 4 and you need to leave mana up to do that! The amount of games you win off powering it up to like 7 counters or something after dropping it on turn 1 will probably nowhere near outweigh the amount of times where you draw one on turn 4 and wish it was literally any other magic the gathering card.

The decks that want to play this card do not want to swing with it on turn 4. They probably don't want to swing until turn 10+ at which point the mana to activate it is a rounding error and it has a ton of counters. A creature you can drop early, can activate as a blocker in an emergency, dodges all of your wraths and acts as a mana sink in the late game is nice for control.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

JerryLee posted:

"Destroy all creatures, then return all but one of those creatures from the graveyard to the battlefield." Or exile, whatevs.

Would actually have some interesting design space aside from being a way to style on hexproof, since it'd trigger ETB effects.

This reminds me of the design-stage templating for Life's Finale: "Search target opponent's library for up to three target creatures and put them onto the battlefield. That player shuffles his or her library.
Then destroy all creatures."

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

BXCX posted:

Based on the number crunch the only two nonbasics in the set are Evolving Wilds and Haven of the Spirit Dragon. Vial of Dragonfire is #247, Wilds is #248, Haven is #249, the first Plains is #250, and the rest of the basics cover up through #264. Unless they're mixing in a Dryad Arbor cycle that they plan to break convention with and sort them with their colors rather than the lands (as Arbor was in FUT) then there are no more lands coming. So much for the Hasbro (more like HasBLOW amirite?) edict that every large set needs duals To Sell Packs.

DTK is the Dragon Set, that's what they're counting on to sell packs. Nothing sells cards to Timmy like Dragons. Normally I would expect DTK to have fairly poor sales numbers for a large set (average power level, no rare dual cycle, not drafted nearly as much as a normal large set, released shortly before insanely anticipated and high MSRP supplemental product) but I think DRAGONS!!!!! are going to be a huge draw. Never underestimate how many packs Timmy buys.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

AceClown posted:

So I'm only a stupid noob but that Myth Realised card doesn't have haste, does that mean you can't attack with it?

No, you can't attack with it the same turn you play it but that's all.

If you have a Bestowed creature and during your first main phase or start of combat phase your opponent uses instant speed removal on the creature it's on, so the Bestow falls off and becomes a dude, it can attack right away. Summoning sickness only covers creatures that were put onto the board that turn. Otherwise Mutavault would never be able to attack.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I wonder which of the two makes more money. I have to imagine that Magic's playerbase is far larger than Warhammer's, but the average player expenditures on Warhammer are probably higher. Or not, I don't know I spend a shitload on Magic.

Magic probably cleaves a lot closer to the 80/20 rule. There are no Warhammer players out there who just dropped $10-30 on models and plays with those (well, almost none, probably). The median warhams player spends a lot more than the median magic player, but there's also legacy players who bought a playset of Revised Tundras because they wanted to play Miracles, and that expenditure is more than most Warhams will spend in five years.

On an unrelated note: I started on Pucatrade. I want to send some poo poo out, but I think my display preferences are hosed. The only card in my collection anyone in America seems to want is Battlefield Thaumaturge. That can't be right, can it? Adding Canada adds Oath of Druids only. I have a ton of sweet Standard, Modern and Legacy stuff. Is Pucatrade just not used in America?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

"Mana Source" is a card type that appeared exactly twice ever, Dark Ritual and Culling the Weak. RIP weird old card type, go join Enchant World and Interrupt in Valhalla.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

holy poo poo that white instant is sweet.

Silumgar Sorceror and Living Lore both look totally awesome. I can't wait for Travis Woo to brew some stupid Living Lore deck with Treasure Cruise and Temporal Trespass (but seriously, four mana for an 8/8 that you can sac to draw three cards if it ever connects is actually kinda sweet)

This set looks awesome. I love the new Pacifism flavor text so much :unsmith:.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 13, 2015

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

holy poo poo the amount of removal at C/U in this set. Enduring Victory, Pacifism, Silkwrap, Reduce in Stature, Void Squall, Death Wind, Defeat, Flatten, Foul-Tongue Invocation... it goes on and on and on, not even counting tappers and weird stuff like Minister of Pain. Plus there are tons of combat tricks.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Boco_T posted:

Flatten, because -4/-4 is 3B in this set instead of 4B like Throttle and Lash of the Whip.

Yeah but Fall of the Hammer was 1R and Tail Slash is 2R, so who knows. Also, Forked Bolt is now Twin Bolt, and costs 1 more but is instant speed! Token strategies can Get hosed in this limited.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

It's obviously a weird, cute design that they wanted to put in because it's weird and cute, and had to put at rare for complexity/limited purposes. I actually do like it in Limited because if you cast it a bit later in the game, in topdeck mode, it means that if they draw their game-winning bomb dragon they can't safely cast it.

I mean it's not great but it's not as terrible as that rare blue Guard Duty or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Hmm yes this is much more important than meeting player expectations that are very easily within their power to meet. There has to be a lovely mind control instead of completing a legendary creature cycle in this set that's 80% cycles by volume, after Wizards has printed, like, 2000 products specifically for an unusually popular variant format based around legendary creatures. There is literally no way to work Rebound into a creature. This one, cannot be, done........

dry those tears, petal, I wasn't saying Word 1 about Taigam and I do really think they should have made him (and, like not printing a legendary RG Werewolf in Innistrad, they will recognize this as a mistake pretty quickly). I'm just defending the printing of Illusory Gains which is a cool card printed for a good reason.

• Locked thread