Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Thread mascot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'm not sure if this is directed at me, but I know my Elder Dragons, I spent months as a kid trying to chase down a Chromium, my mother did not understand why I wanted so desperately to drive to the comic store all the way across town for some Legends boosters.

It's one of the reasons I find the excitement for the new ones so weird. Lots of the people I see being excited have been playing the game for like a year tops, one guy didn't even know Nicol Bolas was originally, an Elder Dragon. That's such a plane specific, old thing, the Elder Dragons, that if you don't know that if you aren't familiar what is there to be excited about there's nothing new or interesting about that, just nostalgia.

It's there so Elder Dragon Highlander can have Elder Dragon commanders that aren't total rear end

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Is that seriously a thing people care about? I will never understand Magic players.

Not me but someone surely does

I just want to see the good cards

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

Solemn wasn't in m11.

This is the 12th edition of the thread, isn't it?

I guess I forgot M12 is technically the 13th coreset

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

every new card will be bad

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
This card seems really good for what red normally gets, but I think Ashcloud might still be more playable in standard. I guess it comes down to whether a 2/2 body that becomes more relevant late game is better or worse than a lightning strike(s) to the face.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Its fringe playable by itself, but it wouldn't go in a deck that doesn't already have Stormbreath Dragon in it.

Whether this is actually better than Ashcloud Pheonix or not depends on what your average value is from Ashcloud. Most of the time for me I'd say Ashcloud dies, then never flips.

So you got a 4/1 flier that leaves behind a 2/2 token when it dies.

That's pretty good value for a red 4 drop.

E:

Symphonie posted:

now argue about this one

Sick sideboard removal, I don't think it hits enough to slam it into the main though.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 3, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm disappointed as poo poo that the second planeswalker's looking like a new Sarkhan.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Meatbag Esq. posted:

..... my chromanticore deck .....

If it's any consolation you can't kill what never lived

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zemyla posted:

From the last thread:

Exploit is a triggered ability that occurs when the creature enters the battlefield, not a replacement one that happens as it enters. If it were, creatures wouldn't be able to exploit themselves. Given that it is a triggered ability, you have to make another triggered ability that goes off when the exploit happens.

Also, Strionic Resonator is a thing they have to keep into account in eternal formats. Remember when Duplicant could have two P/T scores?

Wizards doesn't test with eternal formats in mind.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Man that command

I wish it was "from a graveyard", then it'd actually be pretty Modern playable

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 3, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Starving Autist posted:

It's a mythic for Timmy, not a mythic for Spike.

We noticed

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

bhsman posted:

Because the best time to make final judgments about a card are within the first 30 minutes of you being aware of its existence? :v:

Or a situation in which attacking with 8 power won't win you the game, and this guy would either kill an opponent or ensure that the ensuing combat would. Like I said, a corner case and worthy of maybe a 1 or 2-of. The rush to condemn it as unplayable seems misplaced.

In what deck do you want this over Courser, especially when Lightning Strike and Bile Blight are both very real considerations

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

In a deck where Courser, Strike, and BB aren't in the format. :v:

So post Theros for the former and Never Ever for the latter two

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

weekly font posted:

I just want some dope modern/legacy cards

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

All of those cards are leaving standard at the same time.

They might reprint Strike in Origins but Bile Blight will probably be gone for a while.

There will be some kind of 3 damage burn spell from here to kingdom come, and we will not be without a Bile Blight variant for long.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

a) Yes, he's worse than Courser and Caryatid, but those guys will rotate out soon.
b) The kind of deck I think this guy would fit in wants more than 12 rampers. I should note that it's entirely possible that that deck will never exist in Standard; this card is not powerful enough to single-handedly cause a deck to be created.

Caryatid will get replaced with some other 2 mana ramp spell. You have a point on Courser, but there will be new stuff rotating in and I find it very unlikely that this will be the best card for the 3 mana slot in constructed at that point.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

That's a pretty mana intensive play though.

Command Snapcaster Bolt isn't nearly as much so though.

If there were more 2 mana value creatures in modern that would get played with this I'd almost think it could be pretty good

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

I almost don't want to see what they put on Silumgar's Command. Ojutai's is good but not breaking the bank like Cryptic was. I get the feeling Silumgar's might come close.

beaten with the joke but it'll be probably 3 mediocre abilities and mill x for the fourth

E:

mcmagic posted:

Most decks in modern don't play 4x Cryptic and this card isn't as good as Cryptic... I'm sure it will see standard play though.

All it needed was to not specify a graveyard and then it would be incredibly playable in control. Cantripping Goyf Grabber sounds like a fairly strong thing and it gives some added utility vs. burn

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 3, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

White doesn't take things from other graveyards that's more Blacks thing.

Then replace the 4 life with something, just don't make it "we're really loving scared of Cryptic Command"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I Love You! posted:

So Ojutai's command is absolutely boggling my mind. It's going to totally transform standard and not just because of the extremely good modes on it.

(Disclaimer: I'm sure other commands will be bonkers as well)

Here is a super basic play with that card and it basically counters any sort of tempo play from the opponent that involves tapping mana for any reason:

-Play in a deck with soulfire grand master and hordeling outburst or something
-Soulfire grandmaster dies whenever you cast it because duh
-EOT your opponent is tapped from casting a thing. Maybe they were trying to drop your life total to 0. Wups!
-Tap 4. Return soulfire to play. Pick whatever other mode you want (life or cards)
-Next turn, use tokens and soulfire to Stoke the flames. Return Stoke to hand with soulfire.

Congrats! You've just gained like 8 life and 2+ cards from a single instant! Hope your opponent wasn't trying to kill you because now they are hosed! Bonus points if you were able to use the card draw or counter modes instead of the lifegain because now you've won the game out of nowhere for doing what you would have done anyway.

Considering this is good against everything, even walkers due to the animate clause, I am super convinced standard is going to be smashed to pieces and reformed in the wake of this crazy garbage. Not to mention it's a straight-up softlock against any deck trying to win with creatures or damage with 8 mana and a Soulfire GM in play/yard that you can use to proactively dig through your deck and find more and more pressure while keeping your life total untouchably high.

This mode is hilariously powerful at instant speed in the current standard where being finished off by a burn spell or a Siege Rhino ETB is par for the course. You never use it except when it saves your bacon/totally blows out the other guy which is often enough to be terrifying. It's also super good in the aforementioned Soulfire softlock to pair with the card draw if you have nothing else to do at EOT.

Source your quotes

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoness posted:

I would find it weird if this format or the next didn't have a kind of (efficient) graveyard hoser in W/G to be honest.

Although that's kind of aggressive speculation from flavor.

Just wait until they announce Liferite Shaman

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I Love You! posted:

The real question is: why would they WANT to recreate Cryptic? Like, what's the design goal here?

"Terrible hellscape control nightmare" was pretty funny the first time around with Fae and 5cc but I'm not sure even "fixed" throwbacks to those days are particularly in order.

Modal spells are fun and can be very skilltesting

Also Cryptic owns and should be recreated at every opportunity

In fact, reprint Cryptic

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

bhsman posted:

I unironically think Goblinslide is a good card that doesn't have the right support cards printed to make it work.

I'm what world is Goblinslide better than just casting a Hordeling Outburst

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

whydirt posted:

Given the number of sets and settings WotC has to make for Magic, especially now that they put out two unique blocks each year, it was pretty much inevitable that we'd get Dragon World eventually. If you don't like dragons, that's cool, but this set isn't for you. Both Avacyn Restored and Dragons of Tarkir are standalone big sets, so it's not like we're seeing old-school 3 set blocks with these heavy tribal themes like we might have in olden times.

I am disappointed that they couldn't figure out a balanced dragon that could be a common.

Look if they print a 1R Dragon that's Legacy playable they can do whatever the gently caress they want

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Kickass Valuedragon
1R
Creature- Dragon
Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield, sacrifice a nonbasic land.
3/2

:getin:

obviously way too strong for standard. maybe if I changed it to "sacrifice two lands?"

That sounds awful

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Starving Autist posted:

As worded, it's just 2 mana for a 3/2 flying as long as you have only basic lands, which seems ok to me.

quote:

only basic lands

TheKingofSprings posted:

Look if they print a 1R Dragon that's Legacy playable they can do whatever the gently caress they want

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Hey Sorin, what the gently caress are you actually doing on Tarkir?

Same thing he did on Innistrad.

selling packsgently caress all.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I Love You! posted:

Holding out for a 1 mana spell with rebound that puts a 0/1 token with prowess into play. Hell, I'd pay 1W for that poo poo.

Pay 2W and get a 2/2 body with prowess to go with it. :getin:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is there any possibility at all of spell lands being around, or manlands?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Risen Executioner
Creature - Zombie Warrior
Risen Executioner can't block.
Other Zombie creatures you control get +1/+1.
You may cast Risen Executioner from your graveyard if you pay an additional (1) for each other creature card in your graveyard.

I want to run this as the only creature in a control deck

E: or Loam Pox I guess

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

bhsman posted:

gently caress it, reprint Force and immediately ban it in Modern. :devil:

This except instead unban the stuff they need Force to deal with

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Still can't get over this poo poo

>>

>>

I can't get over how there hasn't been a good Goblin printed in about 5 years

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

Rabblemaster's pretty good. I don't think it'd be good in Legacy Goblins, specifically, but nobody plays it anymore anyway so how would we know?

Nobody plays the deck anymore because there hasn't been a good Goblin printed for it in 5 years. Elves got a format defining 1/2 that ramps packaged with some of the best graveyard hate ever printed. Merfolk got a format defining 3/1 that literally can't be killed by 90% of played removal in Legacy. Goblins got a gray ogre that farts out 1/1s and makes all your other dudes kill themselves.

Hmm

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's a shame, I guess legacy is just too hostile to any creature that isn't a horrible mistake of a card.

Hmm yes Brimaz, Thalia, Monastery Mentor and Eidolon of the Great Revel are all abominations of nature that never should've seen the light of day

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

This has to be one of the strongest 1 drops red has ever had

This seems like it's going to eat a Downfall and not accomplish much a huge amount of the time.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

They don't want Modern to be Legacy.

Yeah, god forbid people do fun things with cards

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Mini impulse

And Jeskai takes the title of best post rotation deck