Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So I downloaded xmage, downloaded the card image database (which took forever), but card images do not show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'll be going to the prerelease next saturday after not playing magic in years. I pretty much only played in prereleases before because I was too poor to buy a deck, and I always top 4'd. Here's to hoping it works out again (picking red or white)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I love prerelease. So much more fun than normal events for me.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

My friend opened a Nissa, Gideon, Archangel of Tithes and whatever that 6/5 green dude that pulls a 3cmc or less creature from library onto field. He also had 3 of the 3/3 lifelink renowned dudes. He still went 2-2 and dropped after misplaying constantly.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

G/W aggro is really legit. Even without bombs you can make it super far. I ended up winning most of my games by slamming down bears and 3/2s

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

People not reading Hixus, Prison Warden was my favorite part of the prerelease. They'd take damage, then end of turn flash in Hixus and expect it to do something.

Haha, yeah, new people playing magic :rolleyes:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I think G/W is the best color combination in the (seeded at least) sealed events for origins. Our top 8 at my LGS was 4 G/W players, 3 people playing green/x and 1 person playing a really good U/R thopter deck.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

better than last year

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

summer bloom/amulet still around actually surprises me

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Honored Heirarch won me 2 games in my prerelease. But that's limited :v:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Most of the legacy games i play end with me attacking someone with snapcasters or sometimes a blightsteel on like turn 15

Most of the modern games are over by turn 7 or 8 or at least pretty clear who's going to win

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Telex posted:

so I'm pondering getting back into things after giving a pre release thing over the weekend a shot.

Can someone explain the tourney formats? mtg.com didn't really elaborate on what "Standard" actually is and such.

I last played when it was called T1, T1.5 and T2 and T1 was "everything but the banned/restricted list" and T2 was the latest sets and latest core set and 1.5 I forget but nobody wanted to play.

I'm also not sure I understand what this whole "last core set" thing means, I get that they've been doing refreshes every year or so for a while of the base set, does this just mean it's nothing but smaller expansions from here on out?

t2 is Standard, t1 is Vintage, Legacy is Vintage but with cards banned (Vintage has only restricted cards, not banned) and t1.5 got phased out in favor of Modern. Modern is anything after 8th edition but with a really aggressive banlist.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

wasnt 1.5 extended? if its legacy then whoops got it confused.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I knew there had to be a card that did that. So the penalty is a Warning and a 3-cmc sorcery.

Only if you catch them :v:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrXESPkyMQ8

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

please not dice chat

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Annoying people. I always roll 2 d6's even when my opponent offers 3 lol

Wow you're a true rebel.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I went to a FNM draft tonight that was supposed to start at 7. I have never been to the store before, so I paid and sat down and waited. At about 7:05 I went and asked the person at the cash register what was going on. "Oh, we play FNM next door now!"

Thanks for telling me when I signed up, I guess? They were already drafting so I just got a refund and went home, which was a 40 minute drive.

I had such a fun night full of magic :v:

EDIT: I had asked like two different employees when it was and neither one of them said anything about it being next door in some vacant cafe. Ugh.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Does your store not buy them back for 3 bucks in store credit per pack?

Depending on where you live, no. I live in a small town and even the small city nearby has only 2 stores and neither one does credit.

For reference, I wanted to trade some cards for the FNM draft that costs $12. He pulled gideon, nissa, and chandra and said "This will get you a draft and 3 extra packs"

Heheheh no.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sickening posted:

Darkest mage is playing rally atm. Who didn't see that coming.

He already said a few days ago he would likely be playing rally. I believe he's testing out some other decks though, including jeskai.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

When I met Ari at an open he was nice and helped me with my deck :shrug:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

My buddy was at PT Theros playing hexproof. It is late in day one and he's doing pretty well. He's seated next to Lax, who finishes his match first. After writing his own match slip, Lax reaches out and takes my friend's slip and whips out his phone. He's entering in the names and the decks that they're on. My friend says, "What do you think you're doing, that's not your slip." Lax says, "Hey, it's not against the rules man." So my friend slaps his phone out of his hand, says, "Oops," and stares him down. Lax didn't call a judge, just grabbed his stuff picked up his phone and walked off.

Wow, that's actually hosed up. What the hell. I guess he's a jerk and was just in a good mood when I met him.

Anyone here playing on MTGO? I was planning on starting to play again because I have been missing magic but apparently they're overhauling the reward structure again and it's getting worse?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Are there any good mtg forums with active drafting and sealed subforums? MTG salvation is full of bad players and I'm looking for playtesting partners and draft discussions. I plan on going to GP Atlanta in.. October? If anyone else is going pm me or post your Skype and we can talk as well.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I would have to drive over 3 hours to draft.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

little munchkin posted:

MTGO being awful and overpriced is an intentional design decision to make sure the experience is nowhere near as pleasant as playing in real life.

"pleasant" describing going to usually cramped rooms with people who smell funny

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Alaan posted:

:siren: Keeper of the Lens in a standard deck at the PT :siren:

this

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Calcano has fed the clans for 40 life in 2 games.

EDIT: 50

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 1, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

But the new mulligan rule is great.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Has anyone drafted Zendikar yet? Is it a good format, I'm considering going to a draft later.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah it's fine. A lot of people seem to be over-drafting green because all of the sweet dinosaur creatures are in it.

Protip: get a hallowed or flooded strand and go for the UW fliers combo.

How do the weird non-standard legal duals work in draft. Legal?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Any card you open in a limited pool is legal for you to play.

Right, I just didn't know if they were changing this for this set since they're doing so many new things recently. Thanks.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I drafted last night -- people really don't value the cheap Allies. I got 7!! Kalastria healers and didn't drop a game all night.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Any of you goons considering going to GP Atlanta next month? It's limited.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

anglachel posted:

I am. People are really bad at sealed, so I like my chances to make day 2.But I'm more thinking I should just try for a GP trial on Friday, and i don't get the 4/0 and 2 byes just take that as a sign that it was not meant to be.

I'm going as well. We should meet up, since all of my friends are awful at sealed and don't want to go.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

anglachel posted:

You should remind your friends that there is poo poo tons of stuff to do at a Grand Prix other than play the main event. Looks like it's about a 15 pack payout if you go 4/0 at a side event. And 3 4/0 side events lets you cash out for a "from the vault" (including the one with jace in it).

And they are doing constructed and limited side events.

I've been telling them that already :(

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Cube is really a crapshoot, lots of people suck at it and it sounds like you got into some weak drafts.

anglachel posted:

http://gpatlanta.starcitygames.com/schedule.php

20 Dollar sealed side events along with a guaranteed 25 pack of full arts lands sounds pretty cool.

The prize wall is okay I guess. The buy in for constructed events has me kinda cold, 10 bucks at the cheapest.

http://gpatlanta.starcitygames.com/prize-wall.php

I don't play constructed, so that doesn't bother me. $20 sealed events sounds amazing to me, though.

edit: well, i would play constructed if i had a deck :v:

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 7, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Some stores that aren't poo poo let you get store credit for drafts and whatnot

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Hey man you might wanna play some lands in your deck.

lands are overrated, they usually arent spells

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Went to a draft last weekend.

Drafted every single W/B ally and ending up with 7 Kalastria Healers and 2 Drana's Emissary along with a few of the guys that let me pay a W to add a +1/+1 counter to a creature when I gain life. Went through the night only dropping 1 game to never drawing a swamp. I feel like that is not a realistic draft.

I really like the drafts AND the sealed in this format, but I've always been a weirdo who enjoys making sealed decks work so :shrug:

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kibler is just a great guy overall from what I've heard.

• Locked thread