Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Entropic posted:

Are there actually people mad about
The answer is always yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Man, it's like two mana for a hasted Bird of Paradise. Think of the value.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Starving Autist posted:

I'm serious, the only non-zombies we've seen so far there are the dragons themselves.
The first Silumgar card we saw was a human speaking to Silumgar so nope, already seen non-zombies.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=grim+haruspex

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Starving Autist posted:

Does that represent a version from the past of FRF or from the alternate future of DTK? I mean, things can change if you give them 1000 years.
Morph doesn't exist in the past and neither does Surrak, so while I agree, I believe that was supposed to be a peek at the alt future.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

BJPaskoff posted:

Is there a reason this doesn't say "creatures you control with flying have haste"? It's going to be annoying explaining to people that when they turn their manifested dragon face up, it doesn't gain haste.
The bird of paradise has to zoom in through the tempest to have haste obviously. It's like a boost pad in a kart racing game.

What happens if you have this card and Wonder in your graveyard with the necessary island?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Price memory is a thing, yeah. And plus Athreos looks really awesome when you read him, so you keep thinking he's gonna do it this time guys, it's his time to shine!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Did he even do it on camera? I thought he just wore him Leia style til he died of natural causes.

Which must have sucked when he was flying around.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Silumgar appears to have gotten considerably fatter. That's why he doesn't have hexproof anymore, he's so loving fat.

Gonna start calling him Silumguru now. That's how old I am!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Elyv posted:

The artifact lands actually weren't broken right when they came out, Broodstar Affinity was simply a good deck. Affinity didn't become a broken deck until Darksteel.
Which is why they only banned the Darksteel cards in the deck!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That is what Kologhan's brood looks like, yeah. Kinda ... Yeah.

It's kinda weird comparing that to Ashcloud Phoenix (unsure) and then realized they aren't really in the same block as far as Standard is concerned. New rotation gonna trip me up for ages.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Those are just dragon legends. People are flipping out over a five letter word, basically.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

Dragons that breathe lightning are strictly better than other dragons.
I wonder if they communicate entirely in lightning bolts.

Love within Kologhan's brood is less than three

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm gonna laugh when Planeswalker Narset turns out to be Grixis and super evil as gently caress.
I think she's going to be an anti-draconian heretic and hate Sarkhan, but it would be sort of nice if Sarkhan got a happy ending to this chapter of his life before boarding the SS gently caress Bolas with Ugin.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Count Bleck posted:

Still better than Ral Zarek, unfortunately.
Try playing Ral in cube. He fukken owns if you get the deck he goes into.

And also illustrates the reason he was pretty iffy in standard - not exactly a lot of karoos, basalt monoliths or worn powerstones hanging around for him to untap there. You really need that untap ability to be more useful to get full value out of the card.

But Keranos, yeah, I was totally shocked (might even say bolted) at his playability. He just looks like a total do-nothing. It's nice to be wrong about some of the Gods, though. They ended up going to weird places. Karametra saw more play than Mogis, for example.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Those intro pack dragons are much closer to playable than I'd expect from looking at the GW one. I mean except the GW one.

Dr. Stab posted:

check this sweet combo:

command back your snapcaster, snap back your command. Gain 8 life.
No no. Command back your snapcaster, snapcaster back your cryptic command, counter their noncreature spell (ideally a command of their own) and draw a bunch of cards.

Awww yeah. Commands commanding commands for days.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

weekly font posted:

Seriously that's some garbage. Remind me what this Limited format is going to be again.
Pretty sure you wanna crack DRAGON ACCELERATOR mythic in this format, actually. As first picks go the shaman is pretty amazing, pardoning the fact it can't pay megamorph costs. While he is a little slower a 2/3 rear end on a 3 mana card is far from irrelevant as elves and their ilk are wont to do.

Which does beg the question of why they'd print another somberwald sage now, of course.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I Love You! posted:

Thanks I'm very excited about this idiot card, I honestly didn't expect to see a goofy modal control card of this level printed for years and it's quite wonderful!
I think you're a little past excited, but I think you're right.

But also in your magic christmas land why not mention it can counter a tap out to Stormbreath and bring back a dude. Such the value, such the tempo.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think he misread "opponent" as "player" on the dragon.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm actually into the big dumb Sultai dragon.
I don't see any Sultai dragons. You want to end up on Silumguru's neck?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

How many hard, unconditional counters without wonky drawbacks are a single blue in their casting cost? I'm sure there are some, but I'm drawing a blank.

Also maybe the Silumgar command has the other half, to spread the mechanic out a little.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

Without drawbacks? None, even Counterspell is 2 blue mana.
I meant any CMC, but only 1 blue symbol. There is Fall of the Gavel and Dromar's Charm, now that I've gone through the list, unless I missed one. Kinda cute comparing those two to this spell.

Dromar's Charm is real good if you can cast it, though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

"Just get in there with photoshop and extend out those noses. Blur tool off the mouths on those guys too. Yeah, that's the stuff!"

Rinkles posted:

My pet black wall would be a 1/1 flying deathtouch defender for B. A fetid rat corpse strapped to a balloon as art.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Chamale posted:

Remand and Memory Lapse are both worse than Counterspell in cube, if you can support UU.
Eh, Remand rates ahead when you draft storm since the tempo is the important part of the counter, and the lost card can be pretty huge.

And cantrip chaining is ... vaguely a thing...

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Chorocojo posted:

Defiling Tears went from This to This.
I love rk post's artwork to bits but that's not really a good example of them ruining one of his pieces. I'm not really sure why the original seems to be framed around the troll doll on her shoulder, for one.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Suddenly Count Bleck bursts into the thread to announce "Guys, I think foils weigh more! And I can discern it with my sense of touch! Am I a wizard?"

Rinkles posted:

Yo wizards where the evening spoilers at?
I think you get them a bit later on at night as morning comes in non-PST regions or sites update at midnight EST, etc. It's a bit early when you posted it.

It's also kinda random.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Has anyone commented on how loving awful the Narset art is? It looks like some deviant art comic book fan drawing. Especially after that art they posted and took down that looked planeswalkery and way better. Guess we know what the grand prize will be for getting the most dragon dice points at prerelease.
The prize was supposedly rare dragons, ie probably the intro pack dragons.

I agree that the other art looked better but I don't super-hate this art given how bad it could get.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It could be way worse, I agree. Just going to call her Narset T-rexin'. And I was (mostly) joking about the prerelease.
Oh yeah, I just wanted to mention it since it's going to be pretty funny trying to rack up 18 points to ... Get a 6/6 flier for seven to give to THE smallest child in the building

Little Trevor, eight years old gonna be so excited with the dragons he's given

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Man why isn't it a skeleton rogue, that would have been an awesome call out.

A thousand years in the water hasn't dulled his thirst for your wallet!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Outburst into Regent into Kologhan is blackjack, after all.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The regent cycle is the monocolored cycle, yeah.

The uncommon cycle probably won't be constructed playable. Probably in line with the FRF uncommon cycle.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

The issue, of course, is that DTK is a new "block," so they're less likely to do that the way they did with FRF.
Yeah,I don't think they "can" within their framework. You don't put cards in a set that aren't legal with a set.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

mcmagic posted:

Nissa preordered at 15 bucks and was 30 for 3 months...
Peaked at 50, even!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

mcmagic posted:

Kill your Siege Rhino/Tasiger and leave behind a 7/7 flyer is pretty great....
Please mcmagic, settle on the periods.

But yeah I 100% agree. The difference between four and five was absolutely massive here.

Might still see some fringe play. It's certainly funny in some sort of weird ramp frontier siege / dragon deck.

Yeah, drawing non creature spells and doubling kill, draw and wrath spells are totally not things control wants.
God it never even occurred to me how hilarious rebounding wrath is.

Dash might be more valuable than we think.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 4, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Heh, on the topic of 4 cmc walkers that reminds me that people thought the Ajani and Jace were going to see real play.

Perhaps we can assemble the dreamtime combo of Jace, Ajani and Narset!

Also I wonder if the new Sarkhan (assuming it is him, and not just a sorcery with his face on it) will go back to RG. You know, to show he has come full circle?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

The "no block" clause is really random, really. He's not all that OP even if he can block, he's just pretty decent in limited.
Black stuff that can repeatedly come back from the graveyard tends to have that clause. Bloodghast, Gravecrawler, Bloodsoaked Champion, etc, unless I'm remembering wrong.

I don't know how to evaluate that card. His abilities feel at cross-purposes. I really wish he wasn't a lord and had some form of evasion instead, but maybe he'll be sweet.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

bhsman posted:

Goblin Warchief was pretty effective back in the day (and still sees some play in Legacy Goblins); the issue is that Goblins are already generally cheap to begin with and Shaman also gave them Haste.
Three of the five warchief saw play in block or standard, but this card is so far from warchief it isn't even funny to compare them.

On the other hand it really isn't that awful, but the earlier suggestion it might be a sb card is probably closer to expectations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Reminds me of Dismiss, but i think it is probably a homage to Laquatus's Disdain or Condescend. It does not resemble Force of Will in the least, not even in tone.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It has nothing to do with being an "art critic". Both FoW arts are desperate concentration. This is like, Ojutai farts and coincidentally dismisses a spell as he wafts it away.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah it might be nostalgia for a ridiculous card talking (you have no idea how godly sharpshooter is if you never played it in limited) but the OG wooden gatling gun is a less monkeycheese bit of humor. The new one is good though, just not as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That seems more toward the spectrum of bad since the flicker ability isn't til eot but also comes back tapped, but man oh man is it hard to win race if that monk goes active.

Entropic posted:

This is what spoiler season is for: reading all the cards really quickly and excitedly and getting the wrong assumptions out of the way now, so we're not doing it during the pre-release.
This!

• Locked thread