Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fiend Computer posted:

I think the new Sisidi will be good.

In commander. Not sure about standard or draft yet.

Edit: also, I was hoping the next morph mechanic would be morph that would trigger depending on game state, ie "if you lost five or more life this turn, flip this card face up" or something like that.

It will be very good in draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

This card seems really good for what red normally gets, but I think Ashcloud might still be more playable in standard. I guess it comes down to whether a 2/2 body that becomes more relevant late game is better or worse than a lightning strike(s) to the face.

Ashcloud is fringe playable and this is worse than Ashcloud.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Tonetta posted:

dang i cant think of any other card in standard with similar effects that is even remotely playable either but you really should stop sieging this thread like this

You talking about Eidolon? Are you really comparing the power level of these cards?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dr. Stab posted:

check this sweet combo:

command back your snapcaster, snap back your command. Gain 8 life.

But you need 8 mana...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Skywise turns every spell you have into a gods willing. Not bad at all.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

I don't think the shaman is that terrible. :shobon: I can't wait to see the first on-camera blowout with it and a mono-G devotion shell with some combo of the green siege, Hornet Queens/Pulokranos monstrous activations wiping the board, and shaman finisher.

Because you'll need to win the game more after you have a hornet queen and a huge polukranos that just wiped their board...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I could not possibly be more ready for a new Command cycle.

I hope the other ones are better...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Elyv posted:

a) Yes, he's worse than Courser and Caryatid, but those guys will rotate out soon.
b) The kind of deck I think this guy would fit in wants more than 12 rampers. I should note that it's entirely possible that that deck will never exist in Standard; this card is not powerful enough to single-handedly cause a deck to be created.

There will be two more big sets (after DTK) before Courser and Caryatid rotate. Trying to predict what's playable in that metagame is impossible. (Though I'll predict that that Shaman won't be playable.)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Command Snapcaster Bolt isn't nearly as much so though.

If there were more 2 mana value creatures in modern that would get played with this I'd almost think it could be pretty good

Most decks in modern don't play 4x Cryptic and this card isn't as good as Cryptic... I'm sure it will see standard play though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Entropic posted:

I can see "counter your burn spell, gain 4 life" being good against a red deck that's trying to burn you out before you can stabilize.

Ojutai's Command would be much better for constructed if it was Counter Target Non-Creature Spell...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

nm

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I Love You! posted:

I disagree, to a point. "Gain 4 life" can do a decent amount of the duty of countering a non-creature spell, especially since Stoke the Flames is a card and the most common situation where you'd use the lifegain mode in response to a spell. Animating a guy at EOT can be a good counter to a PW (though 2 CMC is limiting intrinsically, both Soulfire GM and Seeker of the Way are great at punching walkers for value). Animating is also a good answer to opponent's removal since you stand to out-tempo any sort of 3 CMC removal spells due to the cantrip, and there arent a ton of situations where your opponent will be dumping 2x 2plays early on.

So basically you have several modes to make up for being unable to interact with noncreature spells, can counter Rhinos/rocs/dragons all day, and can just heal/dig/animate if you really need to. Seems better to me than noncreature countering.

The deck that is going to want to counter a stoke to the face or a creature isn't going to really care that much about the tempo factors of bringing back a Soulfire or a Seeker that you're bringing up. I think the majority of the decks that will play this won't have a legal target for the return a 2 power creature from the GY mode. Jeskai aggro would LOVE to be able to protect their MantisRider/Seeker/Soulfire/Rabblemaster from a kill spell and draw a card...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

forbidden lesbian posted:

Technically, it does protect Seeker/Soulfire/Rabble from a killspell. Well, unless Anafenza is on the other side of the table.

It doesn't though. You don't get to keep attacking if it dies in combat and you don't get Seeker's Prowess and Lifelink.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I Love You! posted:

Yes but you can "protect" a Seeker or Soulfire that died on t2 or t3 which makes up for it depending on the deck. It's not a tempo card, it's a value card built around trading up.

I'm just saying that the Jsekai Aggro deck would much rather get to save a creature with a God's Willing effect and draw than return a creature and draw. The deck that wants to counter a Siege Rhino or a Tasigur and Draw is a much more reactive controlling deck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

My current Standard pet card is Dictate of Heliod. Almost every time I play it (and my win % with it in sanctioned MODO games is actually pretty good for a gimmick deck) I get some snide comment from the opponent about it, despite me enjoying my 3/3 Cat soldiers, 3/3 Goblin tokens and 5/6 Brimaz quite a bit.

I think I'm gonna add it to my paper R/W deck for amusement purposes.

Didn't Wescoe play that in the modern pro tour?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Owen Turtenwald ‏@OwenTweetenwald 3m3 minutes ago
Please stop making so many dragons.

Yup

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kabanaw posted:

Anybody that doesn't want Dragons in Magic: The Gathering: Dragons of Tarkir: We Put a Shitload of Dragons in This Set is going to be sorely disappointed.

I do have to say that when there are common dragons that are unplayable in draft it pretty much makes the "dragon"creature type less special.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

If it makes you feel better, one of them seems playable in Standard )and the rest are the kind of gross limited bombs a lot of people hate because they turn draft into pack wars.)

None of those are bombs in the way that some of the FRF dragons were.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

2RR zap dragon, a Duneblast dragon, a mono-white 4-power flyer. I'm pretty sure these are bomby as gently caress and don't even lock you into a color combo.

Then, a cycle of 5 dual-colored bomb dragons - being as good as Dromoka Prime doesn't change that they're still huge bombs.

I didn't say they wern't good in limited... They are. But i think the rare power level so far is down from FRF.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

Fun fact: FRF is still in the draft pool at the same exact ratio it was in the current draft format. It would mean the format just becomes even bombier and less color specific.

In other news, I'm going to be super disappointed if Origins doesn't have Baneslayer Angel in it.

Yeah but it's going to be less focused around the FRF rares just because it's the 3rd pack. There are going to be some number of times when you open a Citidel Siege or a Dramoka and you're not be able to play it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

My legacy decks are in DS Double Sleeves and they are fine but they get really dirty really fast. Never break though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Gyshall posted:

For 6 CMC that is a pretty decent dragon, especially with the team haste and the second ability.

Stormbreath is still the king.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

How long before Narset is banned? That card is way too good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

No way to protect herself, but 4 mana 6 loyalty and her abilities are pretty god drat good.

She comes down at SEVEN loyalty..... For 4 mana!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Elyv posted:

I like the existence of Narset because she's pretty good(although I don't think she's as good as most of you think she is because her +1 is roughly "flip a coin. If you win, draw a card"), but, while she's good in Limited, she's not some sort of insane bomb.

It's more like "Roll a die, if you roll a 1, 2, 3 or 4 draw a card."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Elyv posted:

Hmm? Your deck is going to have 22-26 lands and some number of creatures.

The decks that play her don't want creatures. Maybe Jeskai Sage or something like that but not much more.

BTW She's even better in modern where people don't play Hero's Downfall.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Elyv posted:

If your only creature in Standard is Jeskai Sage, how do you plan on winning the game? In older formats, you're going to run at least Snapcaster.

Regardless, we're nitpicking.

Ugin? Narset's ultimate? Burn?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not quite sure Narset is a control card.

Counter/burn.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

So who thinks Narset is gonna end up at like 50 bucks...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

En Fuego posted:

She prolly will stay high, because she's a powerful planeswalker across STD and EDH.

She will be a 3-4 of in Modern too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jassi007 posted:

To clarify, I mean if she stayed at $50, all the value of the set would be on her. Just like Khans, if you have a set where the EV of a pack is much higher than the MSRP of the pack, everyone opens boxes until prices go down. This is why fetches are no longer $15-20 + all the other cards have settled a good bit. If narset stays at $50 then other cards have to be worthless. If Narset is $50 and other cards have value people will crack boxes until she is lower than $50. TL;DR she won't stick at $50. But she may be at $50 until sometime after gameday when people seem to get their fill and prices start cooling off.

Khans had 50-60 dollars of value in 5 lands which DTK probably won't have.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Elyv posted:

Anyway, let's talk about some of the new cards that aren't Narset, shall we?

This guy seems good to me with the new 2RR dragon and Stormbreath in some sort of RG aggro shell.

It's bad. The RG aggro deck wants to play a Rabblemaster or a Flamewake Phoenix on T2 and if not that, it wants Heir which attacks through alot of the good stuff in the format. That card is also pretty weak off the top later in the game.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

forbidden lesbian posted:

I know I read it, that guy you quoted was actually on your side

Narset's rebound ability would be pretty nuts in Jeskai Tokens with Acendency out...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mutavault wouldn't be nearly as good in this format...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

SCG Sold out of preorders at 30, 35 and 40. lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

That Archwing Dragon value. That thing was one of the most obnoxious creatures to play against.

"4 mana, has blue, new Jace??? Going to retire off my investment!!!" - people who order every PW

Nissa preordered at 15 bucks and was 30 for 3 months...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I'm not going to be preordering Narset at 35 bucks or more. You're losing all the value there.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I see what you did there WOTC making Foe Razor Regent a 4/5...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Because if it was 5/5 it would be REALLY REALLY good. Even at 7 cmc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Yeah much better, but at 7 mana still hardly playable I think.

Kill your Siege Rhino/Tasiger and leave behind a 7/7 flyer is pretty great....

• Locked thread