Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bugsy posted:

Or open it back up so today's spoilers can get pasted in?

Elder dragons refer to a specific thing that a very very long time ago in the mtg timeline. http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Elder_Dragon#Elder_Dragons. Making the khans dragons into elders is stupid.

That's something I asked about when the Elder Dragon line got called by someone last week. Doesn't it really only take 1,200 years for a Dragon to morph (*hur*hur*) into an Elder Dragon? Weak sauce, Wizards. Weak sauce.

Also, the thread title should be "Magic: The Gathering Megathread - Elder Dragons Everywhere but Not a Single Playable"
Calling it now. Past Silumgar is going to be the only one seen in tier 1 decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BJPaskoff posted:

Is there a reason this doesn't say "creatures you control with flying have haste"? It's going to be annoying explaining to people that when they turn their manifested dragon face up, it doesn't gain haste.

Well. If something is manifested or morphed, 9 times out of 10, it is going to be a turn or two before you flip it, anyway. It is only wierd corner cases where you Soul Summons a dragon face down with 6 more mana available and this already on the field. :shrug:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

forbidden lesbian posted:

This checks out, Kid Buu is smaller then Majin buu as well.

Kid Buu was also weaker than all the other forms of Buu. He was just the most dangerous because he was the most insane and had no mental blocks on his power.
[/DBZDerail]

Tasiguuur! TASIGUUUUUUUUR!
What is it Lord Silumgar?
I have a bitch of an itch on my left rear end cheek! Scratch it for me!
Uh...goddamnit...

[/DBZADerail]

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Did Taurean Mauler ever see play for reasons outside of being a Changeling?

Minority Deport posted:

Translation from MTGSalvation:

(Silumgar's Assasin) 1B
Creature - Human Assassin Rare
Creatures with power greater than ~'s power can't block it.
Megamorph 2B
When ~; is turned face up, destroy target creature with power 3 or less an opponent controls.
2/1

So, if there is a cycle of these guys, are we looking at Multi-color Green decks feat. Whisperwood and Mastery of the Unseen being more of a thing?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheKingofSprings posted:

In what deck do you want this over Courser, especially when Lightning Strike and Bile Blight are both very real considerations

In a deck where Courser, Strike, and BB aren't in the format. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Scrylands make it not a 50/50 chance?

This is the same argument people used for Domri Rade

Really, though. Scrylands are only going to be in standard for another 6 months.

I like her. She is going to soak up a lot of damage from aggro decks. She really is a noncreature-leaning version of Ashiok; a card I love anyway. So, I'm definitely going to try an Esper Walker brew after she comes out. I can see a slightly more mid-rangy Jeskai deck come out of the works with her, too, since she can dig for Ascendancy, and works well with a curve of Soulfire -> Hordeling Outburst -> Narset + convoke Stoke.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mercury Crusader posted:

My brother is actually going to do the same thing. Between Foundry Street Denizen, Dragon Fodder, Hordeling Outburst, and Goblin Rabblemaster, hell I kind of want to build that also

Goblin's Acendancy 'cause Obelisk of Urd triggers it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

If you cast Treasure Cruise delving away all the other Cruises in your graveyard do you lose 10 to the new kolaghan?

Nope. Kolaghan's effect is put on the stack above Cruise, and all the other cruises have been delved away as part of the cost of casting Cruise.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Really. I could see WUG Walkers that is just a reversion to the earlier Walker decks pre-Khans. Caryatid/Courser core with Ajani (Mentor), Narset, Elspeth, and Nissa. That sounds pretty loving scary, honestly.

Edit: Think of this.
Turn 1: Scryland
Turn 2: Caryatid
Turn 3: Narset (good luck killing her short of Downfall)
Turn 4: End Hostilities
Turn 5: (Rebound End Hostilities) Ajani/Nissa/Value Town
Turn 6: Break face

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 5, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's in red though, which doesn't usually get that kind of mana ramp. That into turn 3 Thunderbreak into turn 4 Stormbreath seems sweet as hell, although probably not reliable enough to really work.

Four Dragonlord's Servant, four Generator Servant, and four Dragon Tempest. The rest of the deck is just beefy Dagrons and removal.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lancelot posted:

here's a screencap so you don't have to sit through the community manager attempt to inject inflection into his voice like a real human

Well, there is your new Modern-playable rare. "You mean I can ramp AND dome you for 3 on turn 2? Count me in."

Jesus Christ...

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

I was more referring to lands that blow themselves up to put lands on the board, like Fetches and Evolving Wilds, but I get you.

I want to see a functional reprint of Flagstones of Trokair.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Starving Autist posted:

Zurgo doesn't know how to sing, I'm guessing.

Also the bell being struck in Singing Bell Strike is the base of the creature's loving skull.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Spiderdrake posted:

So the phoenix turns over and suddenly raptors everywhere! I think this might actually be good? It's certainly cool anyway. Raptorvine.

This guy goes into Whisperwood/Mastery of the Unseen decks. And he will be loving disgusting in it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Snacksmaniac posted:

Wild Wild West world better have a big metal spider.

Contraptions! (Though, that would probably be the Steam Punk world.)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sweeeeeeeeeeet.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

Cool 7 mana =/

That's just loving boring.

At least they got the best Command. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

Megamorphling and Master of Waves themselves are a good enough combo to at least investigate, I think, although I'm pretty skeptical. There's always the option of just having a lot of annoying psuedo removal like Pin to the Earth/Encrust, etc.

A lot of the power in the Mono-U deck really landed on Cloudfin Raptor. Being able to incrementally make an early flier huge was pretty big with regards to maintaining tempo. Mono-U was one of those decks where if you ever fell behind, you were going to lose. There were rarely any major tempo swings with that deck. And the creature base in this standard being so beefy, there isn't much of a chance the old deck comes back.

Now, I can see a U/x deck coming around that has the Thassa/MoW/Megamorphling core, but it would likely be more midrangy. (Like everything in this standard.) Maybe Ephara can make a come back? She did see some play and interacts with Megamorphling's blink ability.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

RME posted:

oh man my friend really likes to play nissa in his EDH decks, I can't wait to punk him with bounce+kill pw

I just realized you can bounce lands with Silumgar's Command. That's....kind of killer if you can chain multiples of it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Oh poo poo. Return to Zendikar, fall 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

EatinCake posted:

Ya know, I really wish there were more Urza-era 'old grumpy crazy wizard dudes' planeswalkers. These brooding sexy fit soldier guys and ladies just don't come off as fantastical or interesting.

Dumbledore dies. No one cares about old crazy wizard dudes anymore.

Also, I realized Frost Walker is an elemental. Him into Shorecrasher Elemental into MoW is a pretty neat curve.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
With everything being "Dagrons! Dagrons everywhere!!!!!!! :byodood:", can we see some use for Fearsome Awakening? Jund Drago-Dredge with Neo-Kolaghan? Lots of self-mill, and suddently, a hasty flying 8/7 on turn 4. Plus, it allows you to bone mid-range decks that like running 4-ofs.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Elesh Norn is the only white villain i ever need. Shes the coolest bad person that can be defeated by most doors.

Wow that was 4 years ago :psyduck:

I want to see Elesh Norn meet Heliod on Theros. I imagine it would basically be him punking her until she infects enough of his followers to swap places as the new white deity. :getin:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rinkles posted:

Dragon Roar
1R
Instant
As an additional cost to cast Dragon Roar, you may reveal a Dragon card from your hand.

Dragon Roar deals 3 damage to target creature. If you revealed a Dragon card or controlled a Dragon as you cast Dragon Roar, Dragon Roar deals 3 damage to that creature's controller
---

That's a lot of text in the German version

I don't know why they're using the past participle forms for their verbs instead of the simple past. Most German writing doesn't use the "haben + past-participle" form when talking about past events specifically because it takes up more space. :shrug:

That having been said, Dragon Blaze. :woop: Great in limited. Useless in constructed with the possible exception of red agro that tops out at Thunderbreak Regent + Stormbreath. I would probably still rather run Roast, though. =\

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Mono-R devotion!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

I guess you just put it on Siege Rhino. When you're playing 4 colors.

You put it on an opponent's Siege Rhino and watch them never attack with it ever.

And with all of this high quality burn, I'm thinking Satyr Firedancer may see a resurgence. Him and Soulfire as two drops and just all the burn until you drop Thunderbreak Regent/Stormbreath.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

:tviv:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

The black one probably just kills UW Heroic entirely now (it was already hanging on by a thread).

Yeah. Between Roast, Ultimate Price coming back, and now enemy hate-sacking, W/u heroic is probably dead.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

forbidden lesbian posted:

How many dragons do you think a control deck plays? Because it is not enough to make that added cost ever be a factor.

Izzet dragon counter/burn feat. Mind Swipe and Silumgar's Scorn. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mcmagic posted:

I don't think Ultimate Price will see much play in maindecks and you're going to have to choose between it and self-inflicted wound for SB slots so I don't think these cards will be played all that much. It's not like WU is a T1 deck that everyone has to SB for now...

People will maindeck Ultimate Price. Every deck has relevant threats that it can kill. Even the most multi-colored deck in the format, Abzan, has Tasigur, Courser, Wingmate Roc. And you can just side it out for that match. I'd say 2 mainboard, 2 sideboard for most black decks. It may even replace Bile Blight entirely unless token decks resurge for some reason.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Has anyone realized that Decent of the Dragons with Dragon Tempest out is basically an instant kill if you have 3 or 4 tokens to sac into becoming dragons?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Myriad Truths posted:

I believe Hunt the Hunter sometimes shows up in Infect sideboards.

I'm really surprised more Abzan decks aren't running Dark Betrayal in the side for the mirror. The trade off for only being able to hit Rakshasa Deathdealer, Anafenza, Tasigur, and Rhino is worth it for a 1-mana removal spell, in my opinion.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I think it's pretty much a given that tribal decks don't really work outside EDH when the tribe in question is made up of nothing but 4cmc+ creatures by design.

That being said, I threw up a quick sketch for a mono-R Dagrons! deck in the Brewhaus thread if anyone is interested. There is so much incidental burn flying around (really, Dragon Roar is kind of nuts), I think it could work.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Death of Rats posted:

It's a better Viashino Runner :D (loved that guy when I was a new player).

I also love how the German type line makes it look like a legendary name, rather than a description. "Ork, Berserker"

Yeah. That is one of the goofy things about the German translations becaue if they were to write it in the standard way, it would be something like Berserkerork which wouldn't "share a class" with Orks or Berserkers.

Is Ire Shaman the first female Orc we've seen on a card?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

T4 Warbringer T5 dash 3 creatures sounds pretty strong, especially with commons like Goblin Heelcutter and Sprinting Warbrute. It seems like you could often just run them over by putting a ridiculous amount of hasty power on the board.

Heelcutter, Strike Leader, OG Kolaghan, Warbringer, Mardu Scout, and Flamerush Rider are the premium dashers. If only you could copy Kolaghan with Flamerush. Even though, it is still value.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Entropic posted:

You can, you just won't get an additional battle cry bonus.

Or a second Kolaghan.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
U/G walls.dec! Finally, Wall of Frost will see it's time to shine. And Siege Dragon will see sideboard play!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GoutPatrol posted:

Azban mirror. Your Rhinos and Rocs now kill theirs.

It also makes Caryatid and Coursers effectively 3/3 and 4/4 respectively.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

deftest posted:

A fair point. But now that you mention it, has anything (eternal cards INCLUDED) broken the $25 mark at all? The last cards I can think of are from innistrad block.

Is that a function of time? Will things from RtR block go up to $30+ in another set or two?

Abrupt Decay will end up at $30 in a couple years if there is no reprint. It is THE removal card for G/B/x decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rending Volley

R
Instant

Rending Volley can't be countered by spells or abilities.
Rending Volley deals 4 damage to target white or blue creature.

• Locked thread