Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Mostly I use it to cook beans. I can decide I want hummus and cook up dried chickpeas in about an hour, no overnight soaking necessary. That's super convenient. One nice thing you can do if you have a tray or whatever is put a head of cabbage and some red potatoes in there, then cook for a very short period of time (basically a minute or two after it comes up to pressure). Bam - instant cabbage and potatoes ready for eating along with some corned beef. Modernist Cuisine's Caramlized Carrot Soup is delicious and easy as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

guppy posted:

I love the idea of pressure cookers, but every time I think about buying one I see a picture of someone's pressure cooker lid blown through the ceiling and I think "Maybe I won't do that." I have no idea if this fear is reasonable but it seems to come up a lot.
What, do you live in your ceilings or something? Don't be a wuss.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
At least use loving steel cut oats you monster.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Pollyanna posted:

Is there an important reason recipes tell you to NPR when cooking beans? I tried cooking some pink beans alongside pork shoulder and did a quick release, for about 25 minutes. The beans were wrinkled but rock hard. I cooked them again for 35 minutes and they're still really crappy. Was it the quick release that did it?
The reason not to quick release is that it can cause the beans to split during the rapid depressurization. If the beans are cooked, they won't ever get uncooked, no matter how you release the pressure.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

AnonSpore posted:

Does anyone use a stovetop anymore? A thingie on my current one's lid broke and I'm trying to resist using this as an excuse to just get an instant pot instead. Mostly I'm just leery of the fact that stovetop and electric have different cook times and recipes rarely specify both or even which kind their times are meant for.
I've only ever used a stovetop. They work fine.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

wormil posted:

Made spicy collards in tomato sauce tonight for dinner, very easy and basic. 1.5# chopped collards, .5 cup tomato puree, .5 cup white wine, .5 cup chicken stock, cook for 6 minutes.
What makes them spicy?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
No but I've made congee in a normal pressure cooker.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

wormil posted:

Someone posted that putting your silicone seal in the oven at a low temperature would remove odors. I tried it and it made my kitchen smell like the embedded odors but the ring still smells. I baked it for half an hour at 205F.
Well if your whole kitchen smells like those odors, you'll get acclimated to them real easy, and then it will be like they aren't there!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Death of Rats posted:

My partner is pescetarian, which has meant I basically can't cook any of the many, many delicious meat dishes that my pressure cooker is so great for.

Does anyone have any good fish/veggie dishes so I don't feel like it's just taking up cupboard space for no reason?
A good ~30-60% of Indian recipes involve pressure cookers and there are tons of vegetarian dishes. Check out this website for a lot of great stuff.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

(this one is almost like indian allrecipes, tons of content but not 100% reliable. That said, no single website is 100% reliable, except maybe Manjula)
I've never seen anything bad at vegrecipesofindia.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Just read the manual.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

empty whippet box posted:

Just got a pressure cooker for Christmas and have used it for lentils and split pea soup and holy fuckin shidd does this thing make good food. Are there any arcane secrets of pressure cooking that I can glom onto real quick to flex on people with my pressure cooker?
no

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Most Indian websites use a pressure cooker for most recipes. Check out the Indian food thread for plenty of suggestions.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

empty whippet box posted:

I have a pork shoulder roast in my pressure cooker and we turned it on to cook and it just sat there for like 30 minutes and said 'BURN FOOD' without ever coming up to pressure and I don't know what to do. Can anyone help me?
What else is in the pressure cooker?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

anyone got a good veggie stock recipe?
I rarely use recipes, but you can pressure cook this if you want.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Heners_UK posted:

My fiancee is asking me to make a cauliflower version.... Advice?
https://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/cauliflower-biryani-recipe-gobi-biryani/ or https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/gobi-biryani-recipe-cauliflower-biryani/ are good recipes. There's also this. Not all of them are 100% pressure cooker recipes but it's worth maybe doing it the non-pressure cooked way because it's easy to overcook cauliflower in a pressure cooker if you don't already know what you're doing.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Do not gently caress around with pressure cookers. They are literally used to make homemade bombs. Heed the thread title. Do not end up like grandma.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Cook for less time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You don't need a trivet. If you have an electric stove you have to be careful about burning stuff on the bottom but it works the same way as a normal pot. There are no special considerations for pressure cookers, except that you can't see inside so you have to use your intuition to let you know if anything is going to burn.