Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm moving soon, and most of my kitchen equipment at this point is actually my roommate's. I'm thinking of getting an instant pot, but there's so many loving models. Assuming I'm a terrible lazy idiot cook whose most recent triumph has come from sticking a ham in an oven for three hours, what options are worth it? I like fancy food but am not a very good cook, so stuff like sous vide meats and risotto sounds good. I work from home so pressure cooker cook times aren't a big deal if I can just take a break, chop up ingredients and stick them in, go back to work, and eat an hour or two later. It's the 6-10 hour slow cooker cook times that are a pain in the rear end if I forget to put something together until after lunch.

instant pot duo 6qt is the baseline, it has all the most useful features and it's nice and cheap. Get the 8qt if you want to make a gallon of stock at one go. Get the duo evo plus if you want to spend 40 additional dollars to upgrade the controls. Get the air fryer model if you want to spend the price of a toaster oven to add a tiny, inferior toaster oven to your instant pot instead of purchasing a separate better one. Get any of the other models if they're on sale for less than the duo. Check costco if you're a member. Source: wirecutter, which has extensively reviewed just about every aspect of the instant pot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks. I see in that Wirecutter article that some of them have some kind of altitude adjustment. How important is that if I'm living up in the CO mountains at 8-9000 feet?

I'm at sea level but here's a website with a chart that suggests you can adjust cook times by about 30% to compensate for that altitude. I don't know if the machines with altitude adjust are doing anything more than that but it's only on a couple of older machines so I assume it's not so important. NB adding 30% to cook time with a pressure cooker doesn't mean adding 30% to total time, since time to come to pressure and release should be the same or maybe even a bit less.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Some people love it but bear in mind the cooking volume is pretty small, especially in a 6qt. Wirecutter has a review of the 8qt combo unit but the add-on lid probably performs similarly. They think the lid is probably more useful for crisping up the tops of dishes or browning cuts of meat that have been cooked using the pressure cooker.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
you can wrap the dumpling up any shape you like if you’re making them yourself, so if you just want “a dumpling” a pork or shrimp jiaozi recipe should do fine

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh poo poo.. I never thought to do that! Do you directly put the sous vide into the milk?

eeww no. you’ll never get the circulator clean

put the milk in a sealed container (ziplock would do) and put the container in a water bath

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Sauter PC133

Any idea what caused this? Is it dangerous to cook with now? And would buying a new bowl made from some other material help?

The nonstick coating is coming off, either because metal tools scraped it off or because it overheated and burned off. It’s not dangerous but it’s gross since the coating will keep flaking off into your food. Replace the bowl with another non-stick one and treat it better, or stainless steel and don’t worry about it.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I don’t like oxo so much because the soft touch can sometimes break down and get gross after a few years, but in general any nylon, silicone, or most wooden tools are safe to use on nonstick. Don’t use metal tools because they’ll wear the surface even if they don’t leave visible scratches. I love the gir silicone ladle even though i have a steel inner pot because it’s flexible enough to get into the corners.

e: https://www.gir.co/products/ladle/?variant=28891956772928

not sure if they ship to your country but if not, you can probably find something comparable. The spatula and flip are also really nice.

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 1, 2022

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

learnincurve posted:

I meant what hypnophant is talking about. Oxo good grips have two kinds of silicone on them, a harder fireproof bottom section and a soft handle that will melt if you lean it against your frying pan.

There is nothing on earth like the perfect silicone spatula if you use non-stick, I have an ancient egg flipper that's metal coated in silicone that I could get very dull about.

Most of the oxo good grips stuff is nylon and butyl rubber, not silicone. Nylon isn't as heat resistant or flexible as silicone but it's cheaper. The butyl rubber is the stuff that goes all gooey. Silicone will not melt against a frying pan unless it's cast iron and you're about to sear a steak - if your nonstick is hot enough to melt silicone, it's hot enough to burn off the nonstick coating.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

learnincurve posted:

you just need to remember to raise it off the base if it might stick, you can pick up super cheap metal trivets which we use for making butter chicken with. Chicken raised with the lumpy sauce under it, pressure-cook and remove chicken, blend the sauce and add the chicken and your butter and cream back in then reduce without pressure.

I do this recipe without the trivet, you can just layer the chicken directly on top of the canned tomato. I’ve never had the burn warning.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
i would not risk it, especially with an aliexpress product. get a replacement from the manufacturer or get a new cooker

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Is there a way to remove all the nonstick coating entirely? Vinegar or something?

No. Live with it or replace it. It’s a pressure vessel; anything that could remove the teflon could weaken the aluminum enough to cause it to fail under pressure (read: become a bomb). Plus I doubt there’s anything food-safe that can remove teflon, it’s pretty tough chemically. Vinegar will definitely not touch it, and stronger acids would eat the aluminum first. Which is bad, because again: bomb.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Did that go through the dishwasher? Certain non stick coatings can’t survive that.

I’ve never actually seen a dishwasher damage a nonstick coating, though they can definitely mess up bare aluminum. Supposedly it can be a problem if you use a dishwasher detergent with abrasive media in it but I don’t know if that’s common these days.

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 10, 2022

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

the 6qt duo is fine; you may want an 8qt if you make big batches of stock or feed a lot of people, though you can make butter chicken for a crowd in the 6qt. imo the main reason to get the upgrade models is for the dial to set cook times, the extra modes aren’t worth paying extra for unless there’s a specific feature you know you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
The mostly likely problem IMO is that the bowl is too short and isn’t making contact with the heating element. Because the original bowl was 5.5 or 5.7 or whatever liters and you bought a replacement that’s only 5. However there are a ton of other possible problems that none of us can diagnose; the rim could be slightly the wrong shape, so that it “fits” but doesn’t seal; the different weight or thermal properties of steel could be messing with the sensors; probably other things I don’t know about. It’s almost certainly not fixable, and I can promise you it’s not worth throwing more of your time and money away on trying.