Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That recipe above has a 4:1 ratio of stock to rice which is kind of ridiculous. I do it like Butch Cassidy's linked thread, 2:1.

Really all you need to know for pressure cooked risotto is 2:1 stock to rice, and 6 minute cook time. Everything else can be personalized/improvised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand why you would pressure cook instant oats. They're already cooked.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trastion posted:

It doesn't seem to say but I bet this is an old school pressure cooker and not an Instant Pot or anything modern.

I think my modern stovetop pressure cooker has 3 different failsafes. Don't think I could blow it out if I tried.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For stock? It's not like the bones are gonna liquify. You want to have enough liquid to cover them, unless I'm missing something.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m pretty sure making brick roux in the oven is fairly standard. Never done it myself, but that’s how I’ve always heard it being made.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh gotcha. Didn't realize they don't have you making the entire roux in the oven.

Which raises the question, why not add the fat then? Why toast just the flour?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any favorite instant pot curry recipes they want to share? I made a pretty tasty butter chicken the other day, looking to expand my curry prowess.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

I've only used jarred simmer sauces. The kroger tikka masala is pretty good but I'm just phoning it in. Give up your recipe for butter chicken plz. Heck just the ingredients if you don't mind I can wing the rest.

Sure. I'm not sure how good the recipe is for traditional butter chicken as I've never made it before. And it calls for chicken breasts, which suck, also cut into 1/4 inch pieces which makes no sense. So I used thighs. I also bloomed the spices in the butter as I figured that would give more flavor. And I let it cook for the presribed 15 minutes, but didn't do a 10 minute cool down, just a quick release, and the chicken was plenty cooked.

I sound like an allrecipes.com poster.

https://www.jayssweetnsourlife.com/pressure-cooker-indian-butter-chicken/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

Huh from everything I'm reading that uses coconut milk rather than doing a yogurt coating and broiling the chicken. I wonder if that's a big deal?

Like I said, I don't know if it's remotely close to actual butter chicken. But it was tasty and I'll make it again. Which is what I care about.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would think that would work.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

gamingCaffeinator posted:

That makes me curious. I've been told that you need at least 2 cups of liquid in the Instant Pot to maintain pressure, but I found a recipe on The Wirecutter for 'American-style chicken and vegetables' that doesn't use any liquid. If Kenji's stew works, then it doesn't need liquid as long as there's enough stuff in it, right?

I've always heard you need 1 cup. And never had an issue, as that's exactly what I use when I cook eggs.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think you can even shred chicken without overcooking it first

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

That's beautiful. Chicken feet are the secret weapon for a super gelatinous stock.

My white people market never has chicken feet, but wing tips are just as good in my experience. Buy whole wings, fabricate them for eating and save the tips in the freezer. Gives stock that jiggles just like that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

grind the bones?

Haven't you ever heard of bone broth duh

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Spudalicious posted:

Nothing in cooking really "has" to be done any way at all, it's all subjective and up to personal preference and most recipes are hard to totally ruin. Coincidentally you should salt things just before eating, you just are adding sodium with none of the saltiness if you cook it into whatever.

what

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I always make my rice with equal parts water and rice and use the rice setting. Does that not work for other people? Does my rice suck and I just don't know it?

Last night I did black eye peas. Sauteed onion, added garlic, sauteed that, added some smoked paprika, then chopped ham, lots of black pepper, pound of dried black eye peas, and 6 cups of chicken stock. Cooked for 17 minutes high pressure then let natural release for 15. Probably cooked have cooked even less time. It was so drat good. I wanted to drink the cooking liquid.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

I've never liked black eyed peas but have never made them myself. They have a gritty dry texture that I hate. Is that normal or do most people suck at making them?

These were anything but that. Maybe the ones you've had haven't been cooked long enough? Fortunately IP/pressure cooker makes it so you don't even have to soak them.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

excellent bird guy posted:

Tried to make a New York Strip in the instant pot. It turned out like a roast and was dry. I'll use cast iron next time + hot plate next time.

you did what now

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got some brown basmati. What's the best way to cook this in the IP?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have, and use, both. The instant pot gets more use just because its "dump in ingredients, press button" simple. The stovetop one I mainly use for risotto just because it makes quicker work of it. Really, for anything that gets a less than 20 minute cook, the stovetop model is superior because it heats up much more quickly, and I can do a quick release by running it under water. I can also sear in it (legit searing, not the instant pot "sear" which means sizzle a little bit). And monitoring the temp on the stove for short cooks is less of an hassle. But for pork butt, or dried beans or the like, the convenience of the instant pot takes priority. With the big instant pot, it's easy to say "well this will only take 30 minutes" (because that's the cook time) when in reality you might have 20 minutes if it getting up to pressure, then a few more at the end when it's spewing steam everywhere for a "quick" release. A stovetop model on a big gas burner can get to pressure in just a few minutes, and releasing pressure is also a lot quicker.

I hope this helps, but I suspect it doesn't.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I primarily use my IP these days but still have a Fagor Duo set that I break out occasionally. Aside from higher pressure, it also gets to pressure more quickly, is larger, and I can run water over the top of it to drop pressure before I do a quick release. Using the smaller pot that came with the set, I can make risotto in 20 minutes (which includes 6 minutes at pressure) with very little babysitting.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

Sauter PC133

Any idea what caused this? Is it dangerous to cook with now? And would buying a new bowl made from some other material help?

Did that go through the dishwasher? Certain non stick coatings can’t survive that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

Ok. What's a good (electric) pressure cooker (6 liters or more)?

Instant pot

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I also have the ninja monstrosity and never use it. It’s just way too big and having to store a second lid is a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Definitely hear out opinions on it. For me, the only mode I use on mine is manual pressure so the 6 in 1 and 8 in 1 stuff means nothing to me. Just get the size that works for you. I have the 6 liter but if you have a family to cook for the 8 liter may be preferable. I also have a separate air fryer, which based on feedback in this thread is the way to go.