Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Nooner posted:

My mom grew up in the Midwest and would make hotdish a lot when I was growing up but it was ground beef with like corn, canned tomatoes, kidney beans and macaroni noodles all mixed up together in a big skillet. You could definitely tell it was a Midwest dish because it was bland af

Did it have the traditional tater tot layer on top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If "green bean hot dish" is the same as this:

then it is fully my poo poo and a staple of holiday meals in the midwest.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You guys are really making me want to pick up a Tamale Boat from Al's Beef and document my death from colonic implosion after I eat it.

E: For the uninitiated, Chicago-style Tamales are a tube of cornmeal paste stuffed with ground beef and various spices. They're pooped out of a machine that is basically an industrial Play-Doh extruder. They come out like this:

then get deep fried until they turn bright yellow and delicious.

Jmcrofts has a new favorite as of 22:30 on Jun 11, 2015

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Empanadas are pretty huge in anywhere with a major Latino population. That and chicken pot pie are about as mainstream as savory pies get in America, unless you live in the specific parts of the midwest where Pasties are common.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Samizdata posted:

Ummmmmm, no, not the best bachelor chow. Think meat paste. Undifferentiated meat paste. Usually even more than one kind of meat even.

Hey man nothing wrong with meat paste.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Americans complain about dry sandwiches but refuse to butter the bread first it's LIKE I'M LIVING IN A CUCKOO CLOCK!

Also in NZ we call both chips (fries) and chips (crisps) "Chips"

I think part of it is leftover feelings from the "SATURATED FAT IS LITERALLY THE WORST POSSIBLE THING YOU CAN EAT BUTTER WILL KILL YOU" craze of the 80s. When my parents were children buttering the bread on a sandwich was a perfectly normal thing to do, but most people my age seem to think it's disgusting.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Of the eighties? Do you live in some sort of weird anomaly where you get crazes from the future or something? People still freak out about that kinda poo poo. I mean, hell, we've had people freak out in here the last time that came up because of the exact reason you gave.

The ~*evil food demon*~ du jour is definitely Carbs right now. Atkins isn't popular the way it was a few years ago, but people are way more open to fat these days, and carbs are the enemy.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pookel posted:

3. Butter costs about 10x as much as most of those things and is also hard to spread on soft bread if kept refrigerated.

Keep your butter in a butter dish on the table, you heathen

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Skyline is good though

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Efexeye posted:

fresh mozarella, which you can buy in teh supermarket right next to the store brand schwag you'd use to make cheeto breaded cheese sticks, doesn't freeze well or lend itself to garbage recipes

Low moisture mozzarella works much better on pizzas too. Fresh leaves a puddle and keeps the crust from crisping. I will fight people on this.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That would honestly look amazing if it weren't for that layer of... broth? gravy? dressing? at the bottom.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Minarchist posted:

Okay HOLD THE gently caress UP

We're going cooking comically on these busted rear end steaks and we're gonna RESPECT the cow that died here

You make up some goddamned dirty rice. Google it. Meat involves Pork, shrimp, chicken, sausage and your burnt af steaks. Cut that steak into little bits and mix it in with the rest of the rice. Eat it. Think about what you've done and vow to buy a meat thermometer.

/CC

but yeah, they're overcooked but not inedible. Hope you like drowning them in creole spices (surprisingly good that way imo)

Or just bust out the A1 Sauce and marinate em for an hour then eat. Self-flagellation for your sin against God's creatures is optional :catholic:

Quoting this from pages ago just to say LOL this is the cringiest post I've seen in this thread, you should feel bad about yourself.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That brisket is not overcooked but keep backpedaling

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

Has anyone mentioned Goetta yet?

It comes in Tubes:

And it looks like this when cooked:

It's a food that's unique to the Cincinnati area, and everyone who was born and raised here loves it. I'm a transplant so when someone convinced me it was good I blindly believed them and well, it wasn't. Not to mentioned apparently the only thing you do with it is fry it :confused:

Goetta loving owns scrub. If you didn't like it you probably had lovely Goetta. Try buying some from a butcher instead of prepackaged in a tube.

It's not that unusual of a dish either. It's basically a modified Scrapple, which while delicious, is probably AFP in itself.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Actually this is how all Americans make spaghetti:

http://www.foxnews.com/recipe/honey-boo-boos-sketti-3

I live here, trust me

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Railing Kill posted:

:barf:

Spaghetti Hitler Mussolini time:

:italy: Spaghetti is always pasta (unless it's spaghetti squash, I guess), but not all pasta is spaghetti. Don't use the terms interchangeably or I swear to god I'll---

:italy: If you use the terms "pisketti" and "sketti" unironically and you are over the age of eight, you are a goddamn idiot. I will hunt you down. I will find you.

:italy: Put a bit of oil in your pasta during and after boiling and it won't stick. It's not difficult, nor is it a mystery.

:italy: Ketchup is not a pasta sauce. Tomato soup (which I've also seen people use in lieu of tomato sauce) is not a pasta sauce. Cheap, real tomato sauce is $1 for a big can. Jesus loving christ, America.

:italy: You don't need to throw spaghetti at a wall to see if it's done. Try a bit, you know, like a loving adult. It's not a clever solution because it is neither clever, nor is there a problem we haven't already solved here.

Some of this makes me irrationally angry. When I hear "pisketti," I just about lose my mind.

There may be Spaghetti rules, but there are no Sketti rules. I for one welcome our ketchup-and-butter overlords.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You "no true carbonara/pizza/chili" people are the worse than people who think ending a sentence with a preposition is wrong.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Murphy Brownback posted:

Fine, his hair is unappetizing. Sorry if you've never seen a neckbeard goatee before, but they do exist, and even if that is not one of them and it's just his head hair it is still the grossest part of the picture.

vv you must be looking at a more complete picture than I am. My point is eating bugs isn't inherently gross

Did you have a stroke just now or something?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A BBQ place around here sells koolaid pickles. They're pretty delicious actually.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Malort has a good claim as well.

https://youtu.be/q7s16ewP1RU

Malort's really not that bad, I drink it (voluntarily) a few times a month. Bitter as hell though.

VV high 5 chicago buddy

Jmcrofts has a new favorite as of 05:07 on Dec 11, 2015

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

that's gravy

would

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

My Lovely Horse posted:

That does look quote nice though. You're proving yourself wrong in the same post!

I've got to wonder about the logistics. Do they split a pineapple every time someone orders that? I don't think you can just hand a pineapple with grains of rice and sauce smears sticking to it to the dishwasher and expect to get it back sparkly clean for the next customer.

They probably use the flesh for various applications, so they have plenty of rinds to go around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
In America, Jelly and Jam are not the same thing (though they are similar).

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/08/difference-between-jam-jelly-compote-conserve-apple-butter-preserves-types.html

• Locked thread