Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Section Z posted:

Beaten to it but yes this was loving amazing.

Both because I loved the silly little animation for eating peanuts, and also because clearly this food you found on the floor and were going to eat is no good to you now that YOU dropped it :downs:

Hey, it was probably totally fine and not dropped on the floor or stepped on by undead flesh golems before you happened to find it!

But now that you've dropped it you don't wanna get necrotic flesh and dog hair in your mouth so best to just cut your losses there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Copied from the PYF things you like in games thread.

Sleeveless posted:

Destiny is doing an exclusive tie-in promo with Red Bull:

In response, Dying Light announced their own exclusive beverage promo:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah I think he's saying that some enemies will show up at level seven and nearly kill him despite being eight levels beyond them so it seems a bit poorly expressed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Soul Reaver posted:

But not before making sure that anyone that used the fanmade patch that fixed that bug prior to their offical fix got their Steam accounts permanently and irreversably softbanned from online play.

Wasn't that part an accident?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Perestroika posted:

She's literally a troll.

Wow, I couldn't tell.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Len posted:

God Hand was a brilliant game and it disappoints me that cloverPlatinum hasn't made another game using that style combat system.

I'm annoyed that everyone decided to go in the exact opposite direction in regards to the camera. Why be able to keep your character in frame forever when you can have water drops and blood splatter on it as it spazzes out in a corner?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Not to mention they've still been using an engine that first saw use in 2001!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

That's not a bad translation. That's the translator adding in actual humor into the game. Japanese games tend to be incredibly dry, boring affairs.

Play Dragon Quest

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I said Dragon Quest, not Pokemon Platinum! :argh:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

You shut your drat mouth. Mighty, Mighty Man is a great song. :colbert:

I'm sure it is. But you can only listen to it so many times before you get sick of it. For some people, that may be ten times. Or seventy. Or three hundred. Basically, everyone has a breaking point.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ryoshi posted:

I would pay so so so much money for a Bethesda game that worked correctly 99% of the time it's not even funny. You're completely missing the complaint here.

Don't just say 'you're wrong', then. Tell them why they're wrong too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Paper Mario TTYD is a good game that could stand to be about a fourth less long. The 30 fight chapter could've done with a few less maybe and there could've been way less backtracking for the fourth one too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

flatluigi posted:

I do hope that at least a few gamefaqs posters ended up playing and liking undertale after the whole thing happened but I bet they'll all just rue the day a lovely dog defiled the sanctity of their forums polls instead

Going by the assumption that anyone concerned with upholding the honor of the Gamefaqs Best Game Ever award is a Gamefaqs poster, at least one person did.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

For some strange reason, I hate the memes in Guacamelee way less than the ones in Watch_Dogs

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Radio Help posted:

Drinkbox Studios has executed the ultimate troll: getting goons to debate whether Guacamelee is racist or not (it isn't)

Someone just got it confused with Lococycle hth

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Goons have brought up supposed racism in guacamelee several other times too (and always lacking an argument for why it actually is racist).

GOONSAY HOUUUUSE! :argh:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is why using anything beyond featureless chrome face-plated robots as characters is an inherent mistake.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

yook posted:

Undertale has a side mini game called thundersnail racing where you race a snail and press a button to encourage it. If you spam the button as fast as you can like you'd expect the game to work, your snail stops, hides in its shell, then catches fire because you "put too much pressure on her".

After spending most of my money losing a bunch of times in a row and not even getting close I looked up the prize if you win: 9 gold. The entry fee for each race? 10 gold.

If you just barely lose the ghost gives you thirty because of the pressure of the snail looking at two of you thinking you've won is too much for him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ChogsEnhour posted:

I remember my mate got that game and we had a lads night in getting pissed up and playing that taking turns every so often, absolutely kakking ourselves at nothing when soft-bollocks here gets his go and OF COURSE that's when the first alien springs out. I flinch, being the huge fanny that I am and swill my mates keyboard with my tin.

This may be the most furiously Australian thing that isn't printed on a kangaroo holding a can of Fosters I've ever read.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

What's a Judith's spear and what's got you so mad about it?

Judith is a character you can play as in the game and shows up in a suit of armor and carrying a really flashy spear. You can retrieve said spear by constantly backtracking to visit places with no apparent notice like running through a forest to avoid the empire catching up to you because a tower fell over in the main road and you can't just step over the thing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

dpbjinc posted:

I think it's worse than that. You have to backtrack at specific points in the plot. Otherwise, you permanently miss out on the spear.

Yeah, and it's half 'expected of JRPGs' and also ridiculous bullshit in how it's executed.

dpbjinc posted:

Another thing about that game: To fight the True Ultimate Final Form of the Final Boss, you have to go on a fetch quest to get a bunch of cursed weapons that scale damage based on the number of kills the character using the gear has. Of course, this means the weapons are functionally useless unless you grind on super easy encounters.

Your reward for beating the True Ultimate Final Form of the Final Boss: Nothing. You just gave the Final Boss a bunch of weapons to use against you for no reason. There is no extra plot; killing the final form gives you the same ending as killing the penultimate form without having the cursed weapons.

Actually the cursed weapons have a specific attack stat to them unless you do that.

Getting to the boss fight upgrades your Fell Arms. You don't even have to beat it, as soon as the battle starts you can open your Equipment and switch to them.

The upgraded Fell Arms, like in other Tales games that have these types of weapons, have a unique property: Their base attack power starts at 0, but goes up by 1 for each enemy the character who the weapon belongs to has killed. This also applies to magical attack power, and counts all kills throughout the whole game.

And as for getting Judith's spear back here's the breakdown.

STEP 1: When the mage rejoins after the dungeon you recruited her to guide you through, return to her hut and examine the magic orb.
STEP 2: When you exit Ehmead Hill on the Capua Nor city's side, head immediately back to examine the fallen tower.
STEP 3: When Judith rejoins after the giant phoenix's attack on Guild town, return to the desert tower and head to the room where Judy couldn't find her weapon.
STEP 4: When you return to Capua Torim before getting to the boat, talk to a lady near Fortune's Market HQ; Judith will go blow up a blastia.
STEP 5: Talk to some guy by the cauldron at the south end of the arena town when you first get there; Judith will blow up another blastia.
STEP 6: When you get the dragon airship, talk to the lady from step 4 in Capua Torim
STEP 7: If Kaufman is in her office, talk to her; if she doesn't appear, visit Ehmead Hill (Nor side) and Ghasfarost (the cell); she should appear after this. After talking to Kaufman, talk to the merchant at Dahngrest Fortune's Market Store #1.
STEP 8: When the town of Aurnion is built, DO NOT SLEEP IN THE INN THERE UNTIL YOU FINISH THIS. Examine the central blastia twice (try it as Rita if it doesn't work) and go to the starting town for a scene where the girls destroy a blastia in the castle; you may sleep at the inn afterward and get the scene with the spirits.
STEP 9: Exit and re-enter Aurnion and stay at the inn again for a scene with Kaufman
STEP 10: Go to the ruined town, Caer Bocram and enter the house to the immediate right. You SHOULD get the [censored] spear from some Blood Alliance thugs.

None of this is hinted to you and the only way I can imagine someone figuring this out the first time without a strategy guide is to just go and talk to every NPC in the game as soon as anything new happens. Because this sidequest starts before you even get Judith as a playable character. Steps 2 and 3 have about three or four hours of gameplay before you get to the next step.

Thankfully, we have the internet and everyone documenting everything in every game so we don't have to struggle with figuring this stuff out if we don't want to anymore.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Takoluka posted:

I'm actually playing Vesperia right now and didn't know about this. Is the spear really worth getting, or is it a completionist/achievement thing?

If you really like the game and think you might play it again at some point, go ahead and open up a guide to pick up some of the sidequest stuff. Otherwise don't worry about it. I did it and a few more of the sidequests because I wanted all the costumes and stuff but if that doesn't interest you then don't worry about it.

Do note that I'm telling you to try and get the spear on another playthrough, it's too much of a pain in the rear end the first time around.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Takoluka posted:

I might try giving that a shot. I don't really care too much about 100%ing it, if only because I'm more of a PS person, so having all my achievements in one spot is a thing to me. Still, good to know that it's not majorly important to the experience.

There is a huge jump in how much work there is involved between trying to get all the costumes+ Judith's spear and trying to 100% the game. There's really no need to go for 100%ing the game unless you're into that sort of thing.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Then you reload and try on unknown difficulty.

Not if you just control yourself and wait to do that on a second playthrough.

Minor spoiler, Takoluka, once you beat the game you can still load that save file and start over. And with GRADE you can pay to keep things from previous playthroughs like Bestiary completion, weapons, titles, artes, skills, and money. Or just pay to make the experience gain 10 times as large as normal.

Memento posted:

The Age of Conan MMO had a slower swing speed for female characters, by 25%. I think it was actually a scaling issue to do with having a smaller character model, but regardless of the intention, it made female characters significantly weaker than males.

This was nearly eight years ago, so I can only imagine the utter shitstorm that would have been unleashed if it had happened today.

I kinda really want a PYF biotruth decision in games thread now.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 02:27 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BlueKingBar posted:

What was that really crappy action movie-styled Source game? Something Boogaloo.

Double Action Boogaloo?

• Locked thread