Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Is this going to turn into some odd Japanese version of Cyrano de Bergerac? Or is there going to be some weird all directions love triangle? Just want to know so I can brace myself for the comedy beats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Twiddy posted:

I feel like people's assumptions/guesses as to where this story will go say all that needs to be said about the romance manga industry.

More or less. It's expected that some sort of love rival will show up to produce as much angst as possible and generally best friends vying for the same person is the stock tactic for that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Most of those leads were deliberately not cutesy girly-girls though whereas Yamato's point is kind of that she is.

The whole point of this series is the subversion of the standard shoujo stuff. Takeo, in any other shoujo series, would be a side or secondary character with a love interest thrown in for him either as an afterthought or as a service for the protagonists. Instead, he's the focus of the story and the main love interest even though he still sees himself as that secondary character.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ETB posted:

On the other hand, they're in high school and they're both kind of prudes. :v:

Takeo is the purest character

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Arguably, the main female lead of Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo could be considered autistic. Otoh, good series were asked for and this isn't all that good. watchable, but not much more imo.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I hippie a guy shows up and gets really friendly with Yamato and Takeo assumes the guy's trying to steal her away (based on Suna's advice). Instead, the guy's trying to get to Takeo through Yamato for some man love

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Starsnostars posted:

Takeo vs the boar was amazing, the whole episode was amazing. I love this show like Yamato loves Takeo.

I was expecting him to suplex the thing (ala Nichijou). Nope. Backwards punt into the ether.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I would also have accepted a smash cut to Takeo grilling boar meat over an improvised fire.

I'm quite surprised there want a scene if him starting a fire with sticks. Maybe that's more of an American cliche.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fangz posted:

I think Takeo is strong and all, but the survival skills and general good sense required to figure out how to start a fire is more Suna's shtick.

I said try. Takeo would try to literally imitate something he see on TV with two sticks over a pile of leaves and rub the sticks together. Suna would do it properly with a hand made bow and everything

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

How Takeo sees Yamato when around other girls

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I feel like a natural Suna storyline would be for him to fall in love with a girl who doesn't immediately swoon over him due to her being an interesting and fun person and such a refreshing change of pace from what he's used to. I have no idea where they'd find a mythical girl like that though.

I'm also worried that something serious will happen to Yamato, like getting beaten up by thugs badly when Takeo isn't around, and then he'll tear Tokyo apart for revenge :ohdear:.

I'd bet it'd be a yankee sort of girl that's a troublemaker and is only interested in Suna, initially because he's the most direct path to challenging Takeo. Suna clearly knows what she's doing because she's exactly as subtle as Takeo, i.e. obliviously transparent. Eventually she does something to make Suna laugh as he strings her along to mess with her as she tries to challenge Takeo and she falls for him while he slowly warms up to her and her version of antics.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dogsicle posted:

isn't the whole point of the show that there's no bullshit shoujo drama? like i understand if people are trying to fit it into that mold but they're wrong.

It's all of the set up of a shoujo series with the follow through of an SoL. The problem is how used to the formula based on the almost cookie cutter shoujo the show is so every expectation is that of the inevitable drama bombs that usually happens when things get too happy in a romance. If this were more set up like a gag series like Nozaki-kun, the expectation probably wouldn't be there.

Also, I kinda want an episode focused on Suna for once with him interacting with people other than Takeo

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ETB posted:

Oda looks way too much like Suna.

Also, I love the blurring in next episode's preview.

It's almost uncanny how much they resemble each other. I thought they were related when he first showed up. I don't quite hate Oda though. He seems to mean well and just a bit more rough compared to the pure characters in the main cast.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dogsicle posted:

the hypnosis story is enough evidence that Ai and Oda know each other beyond her helping him. it doesn't excuse his lack of respect for boundaries, but he's not doing this to a stranger. the selfless aspects to his motivation also have me seeing him more as a first-time offender rather than an active manipulator. i really don't think this show will take a dark turn, even if it's just a subplot.

The darkest turn the show will take is Yamato cooking a food Takeo doesn't actually like

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I want a crossover between this show and Nozaki-kun

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

Suna is going to end up with Takeos little sister in 20 or so years.

God I hatred KareKano's ending.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Between Takeo and Yamato, who is purest of heart and mind?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

At least when this is finished it frees everyone up to do more Chihayafuru

And there's just enough to do another season, but they'll probably wait until the current arc is over and Mashima's drama is resolved so it makes a decent 2-cour arc.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I worry for Yamato if her and Takeo's child take after Takeo. I don't know if she can handle a 9+ pound infant.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Like Takeo and Yamato wouldn't totally try and set up Suna on dates and stuff all the time just so they can double date and stuff

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Hocus Pocus posted:

That baby's got one maddog glare

That baby will grow up to be powerful. Maybe even more powerful than Renge.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dogsicle posted:

Yeah, he still had a bunch of her old notes :3:

:ms:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Suna just needs a girl like Takeo who can make him laugh.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Allarion posted:

Huh, was not expecting this story arc. They skipped a couple of chapters if I remember right.

It's probably the most climactic arc they could go out on since it has actual conflict in it for Takeo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Suggesting Yamato break up with Takeo is just as rude.

• Locked thread