Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Marvel has had the TV rights and that's not at all how the movie deal works either.

Sony is making Homecoming.

It sounds like from a quick check that it's very much a co-operative effort. Marvel would not be throwing Robert Downey Jr. into the mix or announcing it alongside the other MCU titles otherwise. That said, I see no reason they wouldn't allow the character a few episode cross-over, same as they did with the movie. Even if it's a Sony movie, this is great advertising for it. I still say it's definitely not out of the question. I seriously expect they'll space it out (they have 6 characters to juggle) so we're talking probably an hour of screen time maximum, but that's fine.

PS: They had the TV rights but not the rights to the specific incarnation of Spider-Man. If they changed the actor and pretended the MCU events didn't happen, maybe, but as it stands they can't just yank the exact same character from the movie onto TV, they'd have to make their own take and I don't see that happening at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's not one of the Netflix shows, or even set in the MCU (it's the X-Men universe) but just saying Legion is pretty rad and worth checking out while we wait for Iron Fist.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MiddleOne posted:

Yeah I don't disagree. At least Jessica Jones was mostly unobtrusive in its inclusion of Luke Cage but Daredevil season 2 was more Batman Versus Superman.

Daredevil season 2 wasn't BvsS; it felt like it was a backdoor pilot for The Punisher and Elektra. The Punisher won.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So is Iron Fist worth watching? I was shocked to see the reviews so in the dumps, and it's hard to believe that they hosed it up THAT bad given their hot streak.

hooman posted:

I was chatting with some friends today about the show and I mentioned how bad the fight scenes are, then I kind of wondered if I was being too hard on it, so I went and rewatched a scene from a movie I really enjoyed and uhhh...

The Raid (Indonesian action movie)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBNVvFBTYwM&t=61s

Danny Rand Fighting in Episode 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9I_jiCDK9I&t=46s

I feel totally justified in my bad feelings about the fight scenes. Also the Raid's budget was 1 million dollars.

Also watch The Raid.

I haven't seen the show yet, but you don't really need to go even that far. Daredevil has some of the best loving fights on TV even in season 2.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Steve2911 posted:

Two episodes in the best thing about Iron Fist by far is the synth score.

Also Ward and his dad loving suck. I'd be ok with this show pulling a Cottonmouth.

AoS Ward is the best Ward.

Seriously AoS stepped up it's game a lot, I kind of wish it'd move to Netflix rather than dying the runt of the litter.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Beens posted:

Up to episode 5 and I think it's OK - not bad, but not great.

Somehow this seems connected to this..

Mr Beens posted:

Why is 3/4 of the credits just endless executive producers?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

As Nero Danced posted:

Daredevil is a better Iron Fist than Danny, and he doesn't even know what the Iron Fist is. Seriously, everything Danny does, Matt does better, even moping. The funny thing is, Daredevil on paper should be the least capable member of the upcoming defenders. Even ignoring that he's blind, Matt is a normal person that's just trained to the limit. Danny has had just as much if not even more training than Matt (plus a magical glowy hand that works whenever he remembers he can do it), but seems to have an even harder time with random mooks. Pretty much all of his fights involve him getting his rear end handed to him, then him getting a lucky punch or kick in.

One of the most disappointing things in a lovely disappointing movie was Superman Returns. Why? Because Superman loses his powers at one point, while facing 4 trained mercenaries and his arch enemy and they beat the poo poo out of him.

Why was I excited by that, you ask? Because I thought I was going to see something cool, something I never saw before: Superman having to learn to do do something heroic without God level bullshit powers, and that he'd have to deal with a situation he couldn't punch his way out of, because without super strength, he's not even a trained martial artist. And instead the whole finale was just him picking up a loving rock, gently caress that movie so loving hard and---

Oh yeah, my point. My point is that I wish more superhero stuff that would address a lot get by on their abilities but as a result totally gently caress the whole training thing. Without powers they're as bad as bar brawlers. I don't know how it is in Iron Fist yet, but I do find the idea of a guy having massive martial arts powers and then just kind of falling back on super punches because they can't be assed to learn more kind of hilarious. I doubt that was the intention though.

Arist posted:

It's extremely alright.

Let's get this quote on the poster

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

I like Jessica Jones a lot, but I do think that the amount of time the show spends on trying to get Kilgrave alive to free that lady, only for the lady to kill herself to remove the obstacle to killing Kilgrave, is a weakness.

Really? I thought that was kind of perfectly done. The whole reason Jones doesn't kill him for most of the show is to save her, and when she's gone.. the problem is gone and the final kill makes sense.

Right now I'd rank the shows:

1) Daredevil Season 1 / Jessica Jones tie
2) Luke Cage and Daredevil Season 2A tie (Punisher arc)
3) Teenage Mutant Ninja Hand Daredevil Season 2B (I hate the Hand)
4) Poor loving Iron Fist, I didn't even finish it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BiggerBoat posted:

Awesome on both counts. DDs1 and 2 and Punisher are all the absolute poo poo. With Born Again we can work in Nuke from JJ and maybe even Luke also. I am psyched.

My biggest beefs with Punisher:
- Way too much focus on the military stuff for a 2nd time in the row. That was always a background thing with the character before now. I rather have spent more time getting to know scumbags, then watching them get destroyed.
- Also too much conspiracy stuff. That was also never Castle's bag, even when doing black ops in the comics I've seen (namely the good ones, i.e. Max ones).
- He lets people go. Frankly that should have been the end of Turk and Russo should have not been spared, but somehow arrested before he could be killed.

That said it had a lot of awesome to make up for it and Goddamn did Bernthal nail the part to make me really want a round two.

Sucks about JJ Season 2 sounding terrible though. That was on my next to watch list.

HIJK posted:

I'm not a great person but at least I don't try to defend effing Agents of Shield

"no no it gets better after the first season"
"no no it gets better after the second season"
"no no it gets better after Ghost Rider shows up"

I did my time with AoS, no one should watch AoS because it's a trash fire on par with Iron Fist

This is a very wrong opinion. It gets better specifically when it crosses over with Winter Soldier and remains better afterward.

Serf posted:

as soon as "turn, turn, turn" hits, agents of shield becomes good poo poo and just doesn't stop

This

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 31, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Delayed gratification isn't for some people. Even when told there is a payoff, they just don't have the attention span anymore.

That wasn't the problem with the early AoS episodes. It was these audience reactions:

"Why are they shooting that tech into the sun? That's stupid and unrealistic. Someone would want that."
"Why are there redundant characters? Ward is a bland as cardboard copy of May."
"Now Ward is so loving stupid to ignore orders and walk up to an alien with mind control? And now he's got a love triangle with Skye?" <-- Where I almost left the show

Then "Turn, Turn, Turn" hits and every single complaint where characters and events looked stupid weren't what they seemed at all. The tech was being horded by Hydra. Ward turns out to be a loving obsessive psychopath. Fitz gets brain damage. Even Ward's dumb plan to just walk up a mind control alien makes sense when you think back and realize he was trying to ally her with Hydra and that he was literally using May for cover, there was no love triangle.

Basically it's not that it looked like it was slow/boring and more having some big problems that turned out to almost universally be tricks and not problems at all. The damage was done at that point, though, and that's why so many people won't give it another shot. Almost every dumb thing in season 1 gets an awesome payoff that makes the dumb thing worth it to people who stick with it.. but nobody is going to do that in today's market en mass.

homullus posted:

I am really glad Luke Cage did not embrace the nuttiness. It would inevitably trivialize race and racism in 2018. Leave nuttiness to Squirrel Girl (pun intended).

I know people get annoyed with social messages crammed into shows but Luke Cage, more or less, felt like the perfect place to do that have it feel organic.

Other than Diamond Back. Jesus H. Christ that man craves the taste of scenery because he chews it like a lion eating a gazelle

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 31, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cythereal posted:

The whole show is a damning critique of the effects the US military has on the people who serve in it and what happens to them when they come back. Saying Punisher Season 1 focuses too much on military stuff is like saying Jessica Jones Season 1 focuses too much on women's issues with abuse and assault.

You just aren't on board with the basic premise or that it uses Frank Castle to explore these issues.

I just mean that it turns into sort of a big CIA conspiracy show. The army stuff could have worked great if it wasn't also a CIA conspiracy.

I mean it was fine, but is not the usual wheelhouse in which the character operates.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cythereal posted:

I think the show very deliberately was avoiding the "Frank Castle guns down minorities street thugs petty criminals and gets away with it and is a hero for doing so!" aspect of the character, and good on the writers for doing so.

I completely disagree. That is the character, for good or ill, and the uncompromisingness really is a big factor. The big problem is why he turns into the Punisher with the CIA drug origin story stuff. I mean is he ever going to go after normal criminals or is he exclusively going to be fighting military people until the end of time?

Also the big thing adaptations of the Punisher keep messing up is the revenge factor. Direct revenge was not his immediate goal. I loved the comic where he doesn't kill the main people responsible for his family for like 30 years, and goes into a prison to do it. With the revenge story, it's harder to make the leap into non-revenge punishing.

Part of what made the best stories for the character wasn't gunning down just random people, it was spending a lot of time with REALLY deplorable villains and seeing the moves/counter-moves. I think the Slavers comic is a great example of that. He sets an old guy on fire and tosses a woman into a bulletproof window until it, and she, breaks. It's disturbing but you got to know just how loving vile those people were over the story so it becomes a great gray area.

I really love the actor but the show made some mistakes I think. Also it irks me any time the Punisher lets someone go. Like I thought this was going to be the actual end of Turk, and if they stayed true to the character, it would have been. But I'm also enjoying this take so take this as a Ennis Punisher fan perspective and not necessarily the ultimate opinion or anything.

I wasn't super crazy about the origin of this version of Jigsaw, either. Well part of it. I loved the mirror-face slash but the whole "I want you to live and remember this" is definitely different for this character.

I don't remember the nature of comic Jigsaw's face mangling, but I do know the Punisher full well intended to kill him when it happened. It's a minor pet peeve but I think I'd liked it a tiny bit better if he had to let him go to save Madini from dying or something; anything to explain why he's going to get to come back around to kill more people which will, infact, be his fault.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 2, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hakkesshu posted:

Garth Ennis Punisher is considered the most iconic version of the character for a reason, but that's very much a series that tries to have its cake and it eat too with regards to the glorification of violence versus how it ruins people's lives. It would not have been a good fit for Jon Bernthal at all and I'm glad they didn't go in that direction without at least building up to it.

I guess I look at it like this: You're not supposed to be entirely behind his actions, or follow him like a normal hero (In the good comics). In fact, he's at his most interesting when he's basically the boogeyman, and highly dangerous well armed criminals basically become teenagers in a slasher flick up against him, trying to survive. It's like a reverse slasher movie.

You know that opening scene of Blade where all of the vampires freak the gently caress out when he shows up, because to them he's the monster? That really sums the comic take on the character up quite a bit.

Still, I rather see this version of the character do more poo poo like obliterating biker gangs and such like we saw bits and pieces of in the first episode.

ED: Actually my FAVORITE take on the character is hilariously from the batshit insane Xbox game where you constantly have PTSD flashbacks to your dead family while dangling people over wood chippers. The game rewarded you for not throwing them in, but.. yeah, you're going to throw them in. That game was kind of an amazing gem just for the sheer hilarious number of special kills. There's no way that would work on film but my God is it constantly hilarious as it never stops coming with new creative WTF executions.

Also the Deadpool 2 funeral scene is pretty much the 2nd level of the Punisher game.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 2, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mike N Eich posted:

Maybe it was just a little too much superhero overload.

Nah it was Season 2 sucking my nuts of Daredevil. That was what started the spiral. It is super important to note they changed show runners.

The thing I will always remember about Season 2 is going halfway through "this is so incredibly loving goofy that this reminds me of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" and then, with a "Wait a second..." I put together TMNT is a parody of Daredevil, which I never really got before.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xealot posted:

This can’t be overstated. If someone told me AoS would outlive every Netflix show during its dogshit first season, it would’ve blown my mind.

With double season renewal even.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Andrigaar posted:

Johnson Baresitall is the Poonisher.
Vengeance is here. And it's cumming in your wife.

Having his sidekick named "Micro" isn't helping :effort:

OK, that tagline made me laugh my rear end off.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PerniciousKnid posted:

I still can't believe he didn't show up in Infinity War, what a waste.

Does Blade in the comics ever just show up to Iron Man going on and on about his long war with the vampires and how everything is so screwed, then Ironman just bangs out a UV-laden suit in like 5 minutes and solves the whole problem?

MiddleOne posted:

Yeah no that is an instant signifier of nazi-sympathies around here. Don't.

It's true, Nazis ruined Nordic mythology for everyone.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 14, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Here's my hot take: both the netflix shows and movies are quite good, with a few glaring exceptions. Conversely, all the DC shows and movies are very bad, with no exceptions.

I think I'll say DCEU since they weren't always this incompetent and have several decent Batman movies and a few good Superman movies. But if you're talking post Man of Steel you are 100% correct.

I still can't believe Agents of Shield got a double-season renewal though I am also very glad about that. It's quality level got much better over time.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MiddleOne posted:

It's getting cancelled.

Such a loving shame. They finally got the perfect actor for the role.

I kind of wish it was the only show to get one extra season and the entire last episode is him just gunning down every loose end villain in the entire Netflix MCU. gently caress, I wish they jammed that in as a montage to give the universe closure. Just killing everyone from Turk to Kingpin.

ED: Seriously if they last-minute add a scene with him murdering Fisk at the end I'll give them an extra star. I liked Fisk but let's close out the storyline at least in a satisfying way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I think it's time to change the thread topic.

"gently caress you, Netflix and gently caress off Disney" is too on the nose but, as it's officially over, a change might be warranted.