Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

My Q-Face posted:

Or, there were two separate conspiracies surrounding a single event that just happened to overlap. Like The Hand and Wilson Fisk. A carousel in central park seems like a strange place to have a massive meet-up for a drug-deal.

On the meeting at the carousel thing not sure if it needs to be spoilered, but better safe than sorry.
It's not that bad idea to have a meeting in a public place to discuss making a massive drug deal. On Breaking Bad they even have several scenes explaining why having such a meeting with people you don't know or trust in a public place is a much better idea than doing it in a secluded place. Since public places tend to be noisier, it makes them a lot harder to eavesdrop on using a wire, and even if you're making a deal with someone you don't trust, they're a lot less likely to start shooting in a public area with a lot of witnesses. In this case, it didn't work out for the Castles, but the idea is sound.

Obviously, if you're exchanging a ton of heroin for a briefcase full of money you do that down by the docks or somewhere else out of the way. But for haggling over product, you might as well do that at the local Waffle Hut or mall food court, instead of someplace remote like the middle of a junkyard.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

My Q-Face posted:

Sure, but we're not talking about two or three guys showing up to a place, we're talking about armies.

It's not that far fetched. Let's assume that each of the mobsters went in to negotiate with two bodyguards and a driver, that's twelve armed guys. So they're all a bit paranoid about making a big drug deal, so they each send in three guys in 'plainclothes' so to speak to check out the park beforehand and hang around to make sure there are no surprises, so that's 21 armed guys all looking for trouble.

Add in the cops, and the guy they're supposed to be meeting with being a no-show, so then everybody got nervous. So all it would take is somebody noticing an earpiece, or that the guy feeding ducks has a Glock under his jacket, for someone to put 2+2 together and get 5, and think it was a trap by a rival gang and shoot them first, and from there it turns into a total clusterfuck.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

Weird how (4 and 5 spoilers) Reyes can keep clients totally away from Murdock and Nelson. I get that she could stonewall them away from normal clients, but why are the downtrodden suddenly not going to them for help?

If the DA shitlists Nelson and Murdock, then they lose the appeal of using them as lawyers for the indigent. The DA's office could basically refuse any plea deal offered by Nelson and Murdock, and force all of Nelson and Murdock client's to go to court. So something like a bar fight that might be a $500 fine plus time served could very quickly turn into a very expensive legal battle involving jail time. The DA's office can afford to screw people over that way, most people can't afford to fight that. And yes, our legal system is hosed up.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Mameluke posted:

After two seasons of Daredevil and one of Jessica Jones, I look forward to ten incredible and three middling episodes of Luke Cage and Iron Fist. It seems to be becoming a pattern.

While it definitely has problems, Daredevil S2 managed to fix the pacing problems of DD S1 and JJ where the characters had beaten the bad guy, but they have two more episodes to fill. Now I get why a lot of shows have A and B plots.

I mean by the end of Daredevil S1 and Jessica Jones, the story has been told, and it's been told well. And then there were bullshit complications to make it stretch into more episodes.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 20, 2016

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
Minor ep13 spoilers: So with Hogarth talking about getting into defending vigilantes, any chance we might get a She-Hulk cameo or series? After all, she is a lawyer who specializes in handling cases involving vigilantes.

Also, because of the Clancy Brown in superhero shows chat on the past few pages, I feel obliged to point out that he was on the latest episode of The Venture Brothers as their version of the Red Skull. And he is pretty different from his character on The Flash and Daredevil.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

Did I miss what MICRO is supposed to mean or is that a reference to something outside the show?

It is most likely a comics reference.
It is most likely a reference to Microchip, a member of The Punisher's supporting cast. He's a hacker who helps out The Punisher.

e;fb

jng2058 posted:

If there was one disappointment for me its that (Season as a whole) Clancy Brown seemed like he wasn't playing a villain for once and then WHOOPS, yes he was. He seemed to be enjoying being a good guy until his heel turn. Too bad. Otherwise? Great season.

Too be fair, kind of had to see that one coming. I mean, why bother to bring in Clancy Brown to do one scene giving a speech in a courtroom if he's not going to do anything else? I mean, he's not an A-List actor, but he's big in comic media related circles. At some point there had to be something interesting involving him. It's the old Columbo, Law & Order method of finding the suspect. If you recognize the actor, they probably did it.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 21, 2016

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Kegslayer posted:

13 episodes was pretty good for Daredevil season 1 but I think season 2 and Jessica Jones would have been better if they had their story tightened to say 8-10 episodes.

Season 2 in particular would have been better had they just done three mini arcs with the Punisher, the return of Elektra and Roxxon and all the Black Sky stuff at the end.

I think Daredevil S1 and Jessica Jones both suffered from the same pacing problem. On both shows by around episode 10 or 11, they had both beaten the bad guys, and locked them up. But they had to drag it out with Fisk and Kilgrave escaping, and then have the heroes stopping them. So it just felt tacked on in order stretch out the episode count. By the end of both series, I was all, "Just hurry up and end this already."

Daredevil S2 kind of went the other way on the pacing, where there was a lot of story unexplained, but we can get that in DD S3 or on The Defenders.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Mar 21, 2016

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Hollismason posted:

That whole roof top scene was inspired by a exact scene in Garth Ennis's Punsiher Max series, but they did it waaaaaay better. Punisher is only as good as his supporting cast otherwise it's just watching some guy not talk and brutally murder people.

I think the series would be good because Bernthal actually plays Frank as having emotions and being a emotional person which I thought was a interesting take. The more around Daredevil he stays the more emotional he seemed to get. I mean he gave Karen relationship advice.

I liked that take on him, he's kind of the flip side of Wilson Fisk. Fisk, has a ton of barely suppressed rage, that leads to him coming off as a socially awkward, human interactions beyond hitting things is like a second language to him.

With Castle, he's a blue collar guy who joined the marines, and for all the horrible things that happened to him, that's still who he is. So when he's not dealing with criminals, he's an apparently normal guy. Who has pushed down his rage for cold rationalism on how best to kill criminals. It's definitely an interesting take.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 23, 2016

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Have there been any significant Punisher/Deadpool interactions in the comics? It seems like that could be an interesting duo with Frank playing the straight man but neither of them giving a gently caress about lethality. Or is that already pretty much what Deadpool/Cable is?

Pretty much. Most good Deadpool stories portray him as a broken man who enjoys violence for the sake of violence, but at the same time, he understands that's not socially acceptable, and he wants to reform himself to be a halfway decent human being, but he doesn't quite get normal human interactions. So depending on the writer it can be somewhat heartbreaking to see Deadpool trying to be a hero, only to fail due to his own personal weaknesses, or just a bunch of stupid Chimichanga jokes.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 23, 2016

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Gyges posted:

Also he's aware of all her work with Ben from Season 1. Additionally it's not like her actual job duties at Nelson & Murdock don't have a lot of overlap with investigative reporting.

I don't think actively slipping police protective custody to go pal around with the guy suspected of trying to kill you, and in the process uncovering the identity of the the drug dealer at the heart of it all, really counts as a cowering lack of agency.

She did help with Ben Ulrich to bring down the Kingpin, and exposed a police conspiracy around the death of the Castles. Even if she is a poo poo writer, she's still a damned good investigative reporter worthy of two Pulitzers. So not-JJJ recognized that, and even if she is a crappy writer, her editor Beardly McBeardguy can fix the writing, since you know, that's what editors do.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Xealot posted:

But she is herself a hero. We are all heroes. Everyone is heroes, and something something, because New York City.

I bet a bunch of them New Yorkers don't know who won the Daytona 500 or the last season of American Idol. I mean, do they even have a Myspace page? If not, then they can't be a true hero. :colbert:

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 26, 2016

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

HIJK posted:

He was threatening to kill Matt and Foggy, whom she loves very much, and then he said something like "and THEN we'll kill you, after making you suffer through the violent and tortuous murders of your only friends" at which his phone rang and she plugged him.

That was when I finally started liking Karen.

Even if it doesn't quite meet the legal definition of self-defense, I doubt any prosecutor in the US would want to try to take that case to trial. Since Karen had been kidnapped by a known an associate of a crime Kingpin, and killed him in an attempt to escape. Good luck finding a jury willing to convict in that case.

And as others have pointed out, most people have a natural aversion to killing someone. Killing someone, even in self-defense, is the kind of hosed up circumstance that can easily give someone PTSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
It's not like comic book adaptations don't already regularly have a poo poo-ton of of references to comic book stories already. I can name a half-dozen actors who have played Batman off the top of my head. *

Giving some no name actress two lines as Luke Cage's lawyer who happens to be named Jen Walters dealing with Superhuman law isn't exactly going to kill my immersion if they recast her later. That's more of an Easter egg to the comic book fans.

(*Adam West, Michael Keaton, Christian Bale, Ben Affleck, George Clooney, and Val Kilmer.)