Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Codependent Poster posted:

That second trailer is a lot better than the first. The first probably just focused on the Punisher too much. While that'll be cool, it seemed that it was limiting the scope of the show. Looks like that's not the case at all!

The Punisher is not what I was looking forward to. The Hand is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Snak posted:

This could actually totally work. There's no reason that a billionaire playboy needs to be straight.

Bring in Miguel Knight as his significant other?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

MonsieurChoc posted:

How are the rights for Fu Manchu nowadays? Cause if you bring in Shang Chi, MASTER OF KUNG FU, you gotta bring his father too for an awesome showdown.

Fu Manchu, Denis Nayalnd-Smith and Dr. Petrie first were used in 1913. They're in the Public Domain as are all the books until Hand of Fu Manchu.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

HIJK posted:

It's a character from the comics called Stone or Granite or Diamond or something else equally unimaginative. Also there was a comic book panel to go with it that the show copied.

The ones from the comics were Stick, Stone, Shaft, and Claw. Stone is the coolest :colbert:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Just started. Costume looks good, fights look amazing, and Punisher is a villain. Three check boxes ticked for me.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

BiggerBoat posted:

Stilt Man! The Toad!

Yeah, DD has a pretty lame rogues gallery for sure. Punisher and Electra count. Typhoid Mary, The Owl, Purple Man, The Jester, Gladiator...The Hand, Mr. Fear. Turk.

DD is at his best when he's just busting up regular mooks.

Deathstalker would be cool, also Mr. Hyde but they used him on AoS, Tarantula, Anger (also AoS), the Enforcers (Montana, Ox, and Fancy Dan), Bushwacker.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah this. It just seemed really silly to me.

Also I wanna say that I, and apparently only I, liked the ninja stuff and want more ninja stuff and ninjas forever. Perhaps this is just me being a fan of TMNT / Cannon Films though.

I did too. I enjoyed the Electra/Hand story a lot. I'm not a Punisher fan though and really have never been one. I do like Punisher more than Kilgrave though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Tobias Whale

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Klungar posted:

She's a stunt woman on Supergirl, so it seems likely that if anyone was going to give her a shot it would be them.

She also doubled for Bobbi on AoS.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

computer parts posted:

Ninjas on TV aside.

And I still have the 'wrong opinion' here. I loved the Electra and Hand stuff and hated the Punisher, but then I've always disliked the Punisher since he first appeared in the comics.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
No Punisher or Purple Man. I am so ready for this.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I have been binging on this since midnight and this is now my favorite of the Netflix series. I didn't watch past the first episode of JJ because of Purple Man as the villain (I hated the comic series too because of him) so I really didn't get to see Colter as Luke, but goddamn. It may be worth fast forwarding through it just to see his scenes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Not liking something is insane? At least I don't bitch about it. I read the entire series then watched the first episode. I saw they were pretty much doing a reasonably close retelling of ALIAS and I didn't like the series so why should I continue watching?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Steve2911 posted:

I'm enjoying it but that is definitely not true.

It is true. I've easily liked this one the best. I couldn't finish JJ and season 2 Daredevil had way too much Punisher.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

flosofl posted:

I know people like things for different reasons, and people aren't going like things I do, but what?

I think consensus is that DD S2 didn't live up to the promise of the first season, but Punisher was everything that was good about S2. If anything DDS2 was too unfocused and there wasn't enough Punisher.

Actually, I think the real issue is that Netflix needs to stop forcing these into 13 episode narratives. The MCU series are always two or three episodes too long and it feels like padding. Come up with a lean, compelling story arc and then use as many or as few episodes as it takes. Look to Stranger Things for an example of narrative that was no longer or shorter than it needed to be.

I'm the one person who doesn't like the character 'The Punisher'. I liked the Hand and Elektra though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I think Jessica Jones is a great character. I just hate the Purple man and not in an 'entertained by the hate' way. I understand why the used the ALIAS storyline for the series, but I already suffered through the comics and I wasn't going to go through it again.

My dislike of the Punisher is that he is such a nihilistic character. It's probably why I like Cap and Spidey so much. They're positive and trying to make the world a better place, not trying to seek brutal vengeance.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 2, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Danny always was kind of goofy so this trailer works for me, although I'm also the guy that liked the Hand and hated Punisher (to be fair, the only time I've liked the Punisher is any of the three movies) in DD season 2.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Gorilla Salad posted:

One more thing about the Iron Fist promo:

If you have curly hair you can't be a badass.

I'm sorry, but it's just a fact.

Really, just look at this man's hair:

Tell that to Coffy..

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

MonsieurChoc posted:

Still hoping for Madam Gao's boss to be Fu Manchu.

The first three books are in the Public Domain...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Longbaugh01 posted:

Who is the guy in the plane and why did Thunderbird hate him so much?

Also, if Sepinwall is not just saying your Netflix Marvel show is mediocre but is outright bad, then you are fuuuuuucked.

Makes me wonder about the back half of the eps though, and I'm sure Netflix will count on that combined with immediate binging.

The guy in the plane is Count Nefaria and he is a mega-dick.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I just rewatched DD2 and I still can't understand why people love the Punisher so much while I despise him. It's weird, I hate him in the comics, liked all three of the movies, and can't stand him in the series.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

10 Beers posted:

As have I.

But I also just enjoyed rewatching Showdown in Little Tokyo.

I am a huge Dolph fan, so I am always up to watch that movie.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
God, I'm liking this so much. It has idiot Danny which is canon and Colleen saving his rear end periodically which is also canon and it has the Hand which was the best part of DD2. Seriously, I loving hate the Punisher.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Gyges posted:

Look, it's really hosed up how everyone else's first instinct is violence. Danny and Coleen should probably look into getting help and rethink their flirtations with killing people.

*fairly casually rakes sharpened metal claws across the throat and chest area of a man. Hit's him a couple more times for good measure*

Really disappointed in you guys. Maybe you'll grow up one day and realize violence isn't the answer. *takes claws on way out and smiles*

Should have gone with some non-blindingly white shoes. Some Chuck Taylors would have gotten the same message across without looking hideous. Plus they could have gotten some product placement money.

Red Chucks would have done a world of good.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

ufarn posted:

I don't mind ItB except for the absolute caricature of a southern antagonist.

Compared to some of the chucklefucks I have had to deal with in Robins County North Carolina, he's actually downright normal.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Zythrst posted:

Is there another good cat themed woman street level hero? It could be like Marvel's Cats of Prey.

White Tiger occasionally.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, Matt and Danny have trained most of their lives. As have Elektra, Colleen, and others. Even Patsy and Claire have been training recently. Luke has like street fighting skills from his past but no martial arts training. And are Luke and Punisher ex cops? So they have some general training. But Jessica's just a random person with super powers who never even really intended to even use them so she's just winging it.

Luke was a cop, Frank was a soldier.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

McSpanky posted:

That would make a great PR video playing in the lobby of the Hydra Triskelion. "Hydra - we're Nazis, and so much more! Ask us how!"

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I didn't watch Jessica Jones past the first episode because of Kilgrave. That storyline was incredibly unpleasant to me for personal reasons when I read it in the comics, so why would I torture myself to see it live? I liked all of DD1, the first half of Luke Cage, everything non-Punisher of DD2, and all of Iron Fist.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

I just have always really disliked the character of the Punisher.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Cythereal posted:

Been rewatching the various Marvel Netflix series, and despite feeling that every one of them made their share of missteps, I think Luke Cage is my favorite of the series to date unless you can just take episodes 1-4 of Daredevil season 2. It feels like the most genuinely street-level series - Harlem felt like a real neighborhood and community in a way Hell's Kitchen never did. Still don't care for Diamondback, but Mahershala Ali oozes sinister charm and music throughout the show is great.

Still don't care for Claire Temple getting romantic teases with seemingly every show leader, though. The character I thought she had the most chemistry with was Misty Knight of all people, and I'd love to see one of the future seasons of one of these shows address queer issues.

Jessica Jones remains the hardest of the series for me to watch, though. That show gets intensely disturbing from the word go and never lets up.

I watched the first episode of JJ and saw they were going to do the Purple Man experience and noped my way out. I read the comics and that much rape is not my idea of a series I want to watch.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Habibi posted:

I actually thought pacing was Iron Fist's one not terrible aspect. That may have just been a byproduct of the plot being an incomprehensible mess, though.

Agreed. Finn was bad, but compared to the front loading of Luke Cage, the pacing of the series was so much better.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

HIJK posted:

Somewhere there's an alternate universe where Iron Fist is cool and good. I wonder what other cool stuff that universe has.

Firefly was never picked up by Fox.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Best of the Marvel Netflix shows easily especially with No Kilgrave or Punisher.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

notthegoatseguy posted:

Shang-Chi would be good but I know his backstory is a clusterfuck regarding rights around his father. Then again Marvel has been publishing a bunch of old Shang-Chi comics as omnibus collections so maybe it has been cleared up?

Honestly with the dumpster fire that IF and Defenders has been, I'd like some other network to be given a shot. Maybe a system where it wasn't so blatant that Marvel higher ups are enforcing their vision and just let creators do their thing.

Fu Manchu is in the public domain; as is Smith, Petrie and Karamanah. The Daughter of Fu Manchu is not.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The only parts of Netflix Marvel I've actively disliked are Diamondback, Kilgrave, Punisher, and the wasting of Sigourney Weaver. Danny in IF1 was an idiot, but I didn't despise him and in Defenders they ran with it and made him a more interesting character. I really liked the eight episode order of Defenders too, it kept the series from really dragging. The Hand weren't ninja-y enough and were far too generic. I'd really like to see these characters go up against the Maggia; especially Hammerhead or Silvermane's branches.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

nerdman42 posted:

You know, I'm looking at the promotional stuff for the Punisher show, and it seems like they're going for a more "government conspiracy" than "kill all gangsters" vibe. Which is probably a good interpretation.

Okay, this I'll watch.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

JBP posted:

This may very well own.

It's actually making me interested in the Punisher series, and I really dislike the character.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

DrNutt posted:

That scene was great and that movie was great. Like, I get why people have issues with humanizing Frank too much but if you're going to watch him in a movie or TV I really have no interest in the lovely nihilistic MAX version.

The MAX version was terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

docbeard posted:

When Punisher appeared in DD S2 I too was all "this guy isn't anything like the character in the comics, I'm enjoying watching him and interested in seeing more of him!"

He was so much better in his own series too. It was like they realized that he can have an actual arc that isn't 100% murder.