Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yakmouth posted:

Finn Jones keeps going on record saying that Iron Fist is going to be exploring the 'problematic' aspects of the show's premise.

Is it fair to hope that the back seven episodes turns things around? I mean he might just be blowing smoke, but it's a very impassioned defence for there to be nothing going on at all. I'd understand if the show tried to address whitewashing, cultural appropriation, et al. and botched it; but that's not what critics seem to be claiming. It's a weird disconnect.

Also, I'm pretty sure some the reviews so far have come from critics familiar with the source material. I'm also pretty sure Finn Jones has never read an Iron Fist comic in his life. It's really disingenuous for him to be playing the 'true fan' card.

I mean the other shows arguably fell off during the last 6 episodes of their seasons, so it's possible that this is somehow the opposite of those. Not likely, but you never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Electromax posted:

Yeah, both high-concept shows with garbage beginnings that find their footing after a while and scrape by in the ratings. Maybe you have some rose-tinted glasses about it, but it was pretty bad at times. Also I'm not people, I'm just one person.

Fringe had some preeeeeeeetty loving atrocious parts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiDLGMYf_UU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Finished this last night, I probably like it more than Luke Cage. For as idiosyncratic as it is for your magical kung fu show to mostly revolve around corporate intrigue, I just really liked that part. Ward and especially Harold were extremely entertaining characters and I thought the Danny stuff was at least adequate - I only really lament the lack of any good fights apart from the drunken master guy and maybe the Colleen arena fights. Danny was not a great character, but at least he is a better actor than Mike Colter who was outright laughably bad whenever he had to carry a scene.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

AoS is just a very mid-2000s style show of the type that doesn't really get made anymore, e.g. 22-season light sci-fi romp with a cast of quirky characters featuring a mix of self-contained episodes and larger arcs that unfold concurrently. It's a good one of those, and if you liked Buffy and poo poo you'll probably like AoS. It's not really more complicated than that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Some of the other early reviews have been more positive, so maybe wait and see?

quote:

It’s too soon to tell if Defenders can rehabilitate Danny’s image, but it at least makes Finn Jones’ performance make sense. Defenders calls out Danny’s privilege immediately and bluntly, and–in some of the most entertaining scenes of these episodes–smartly frames Danny as what he is: an immensely naive and socially stunted weirdo who foolishly throws money at the problems his infrequently used Iron Fist can’t solve. The show gives Danny just as much side-eye as Tumblr did, and that finally makes the character work. You can actually see Jones’ performance shift in these four episodes, going from childishly stoic to shockingly watchable as soon as he’s put in close quarters with Luke, Jess, and Matt. I did not expect Iron Fist to win me over in these four episodes, but here we are.

http://decider.com/2017/07/24/netflix-marvels-the-defenders-review/

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

He's not even that bad of an actor. I mean he's not interesting to watch, but at least he's capable of acting unlike Mike Colter who couldn't bring a single ounce of gravitas to any of his lines.

Remember loving "you let me be inside you"

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 29, 2017

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Iron Fist isn't great but compared to mr. showrunner Scott Buck's last few seasons on Dexter it might as well be The Wire.

Edit: The above post just said the same thing, heyo i hope defenders isn't bad

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's also not really fair to call that a flaw in the writing because there are narrative and character driven reasons for them to want to do things another way. Like, maybe it ends up being a bad idea in the end, sure. But characters have a reason for doing the things they do and what may or may not objectively be the most intelligent isn't what they're going to do, especially if they have reasons that are important to THEM to do it differently.

Also a core trait of JJ is that she doesn't really ever have a plan and fucks up constantly so, you know

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

A LOT of superhero stories are based entirely around the concept that yeah it would just be easier to kill the bad guy but let's not do that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

There were a lot of interesting concepts going on in this season, but I think most of them ended up being kind of wasted. I really liked everything that was going on with Malus, for instance - but it felt like the show wasn't interested in actually exploring the implications of giving people superpowers unwillingly, instead rubbing up against the annoyingly simplistic characterisation that Jessica had this season - e.g. powers are bad and they make everyone mentally ill, apparently. I didn't like where they left off with her.

Also man the entire Trish storyline was such a goddamn mess. I feel like powers as drug abuse is a concept that has never really worked very well.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

There’s no loving way the people making Marvel TV should be allowed around a mental illness series.

You mean aside from those two seasons of Jessica Jones?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

JJ S2 had its moments, but it should've been half as long and the end was mindboggingly stupid.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

God Tier: Legion S1 and S2 (so far)

Demigod Tier: Daredevil S1, JJ S1, Punisher

Good Tier: Daredevil S2, Agents of Shield post-"Turn Turn Turn"

Meh Tier: Luke Cage, Agents of Shield pre-"Turn Turn Turn", JJ S2

Not that great Tier: Defenders

CW Show Tier: Arrow S1

WTF are you doing Marvel Tier: Iron Fist, Inhumans, Runaways

I didn't watch it Tier: Everything else

I would agree with this, though JJ S1 is really skirting the demigod tier and if not for tennant it would plummet.

I also don't think Runaways is bad - it had big issues for sure, but the cast is awesome and they did a lot of things right. Certainly not worth lumping in with Iron Fist.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Garth Ennis Punisher is considered the most iconic version of the character for a reason, but that's very much a series that tries to have its cake and it eat too with regards to the glorification of violence versus how it ruins people's lives. It would not have been a good fit for Jon Bernthal at all and I'm glad they didn't go in that direction without at least building up to it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Disappointing. I really didn't like pretty much anything about the first season outside of Cottonmouth and Misty Knight (it should've been a fuckin Misty Knight show), so maybe this will be the first Marvel season I skip outright.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I didn't mind it so much in Punisher. Mostly it just meant stretching some storylines (like Micro's family) out a big longer, but it was ultimately worth it, I think.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wamsutta posted:

I enjoy the Luke Cage character and the actor a lot

How. Dude could not act his way out of a paper bag.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm 5 episodes in and I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised. I definitely think it's a step up from the first season, and although Mike Colter has not gotten any better at acting (seriously he still comes off as a total amateur whenever he's interacting with literally any other actor on the show - I nearly died at the "make it sweet, Sugar, or I'll be bitter" line in the first episode), they're at least taking the character in a more interesting direction.

Misty Knight is carrying the show once again, and Bushmaster is a lot of fun even if there's not much depth to him yet.

Special shout out to the husky gentleman playing "The Thrill is Gone" and "I Put a Spell on You" in episode 4. drat that dude is talented. If anyone knows who he is, please post it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

What's the future of these shows on Netflix? What's left in their Disney deal?

DD S3, Punisher S2, JJ S3, and Iron Fist S2 are in the works, with DD probably being the next show on the docket. After that who knows, though I wouldn't be surprised if LC S3 gets announced within the next couple of weeks.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've been continuously surprised at how good this season has been. I've just got two episodes left but the complaints about the pacing are kind of surprising to me - yeah, there are some repeated beats, but it doesn't feel anywhere near as meandering as some of the other Marvel shows. The way they continuously build up Bushmaster is really effective, and also, they made a really fun episode with Iron Fist! Was happy to see that :unsmith:

Mariah is loving incredible, her total breakdown is some of the rawest poo poo that has been in any of these shows.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

why does luke still not believe in dragons when he's seen a fuckin dragon skeleton

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMtrmDhI1LQ

I know you're all excited, but I guess people were pretty impressed by the footage they showed at Comic-Con.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/holy-crap-iron-first-season-two-actually-looks-really-1827712069

Who knows, I sure hope they do a better job this time. They brought in the fight choreographer from Black Panther, which doesn't immediately strike me as amazing news but that movie definitely had better fights than IF S1 and Defenders, so :shrug:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Punisher was straight up middle of the road.

It was good, actually.

and so it went on

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

IF S2 is totally okay, its worst crime is being very slow-paced at the beginning. Damning with faint praise but it's way better than JJ S2.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If you like the other Netflix Marvel shows it's worth watching. It's not great by any means, but I'm enjoying it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Klungar posted:

Is there any word on any connection between Punisher S1 and DD S3? My wife hasn’t watched Punisher yet (she’s seen everything else in the Netflixverse), wanted to see if we needed to push to get that done before the 19th.

I wouldn't assume so. Maybe he'll show up but his role in DD S2 would be more important than anything he did in his own show probably.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well this all sounds really promising I have to say.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yes, it's currently filming. I wouldn't be surprised if none of these shows get renewed from now on, though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

She's also mentioned in episode 3 or 4 by mind Fisk

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't know how accurate this is because it's based on some analytics company's internal readings, but https://screenrant.com/daredevil-season-3-ratings-viewers-down-season-2/

I'm kind of in the camp that believes that none of these shows will get renewed after JJ S3.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

How do you get the idea that S3 Fisk isn't flawed. Every single scene he has with Vanessa he turns into a complete awkward teenager.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

This is in no way exclusive to the entertainment industry.

What a lovely way to treat people.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The guy who plays Davos kind of has the same problem as the villain of JJ S3 in that he doesn't have enough gravitas or acting ability to pull it off at all, which is the biggest problem with IF S2 imo.

It's a totally alright season, though, Misty Knight is the best supporting character across all the Netflix shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Misty was literally the worst depiction of a cop on TV and sucked at her job.

She's not even close to being the suckiest cop in Marvel Netflix and also the actress is terrific.