Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mover posted:

If Karen's editorial was good enough to be published in a major New York newspaper then I think we can assume Foggy's mediocre opening statement really was that good compared to the basic literacy level of the mcu and he is going to revolutionize the profession

Which reminds me:

Matt: Permission to treat this witness as hostile your honor? Thank you. Now my question is...
proceeds to deliver an opening statement and never ask a question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

Hey so that was pretty cool.

Can we go ahead and kick a hooker out of a window, though? The faster we get to Typhoid Mary the faster I can start mainlining this show directly into my veins via IV.

I can't wait till Bullseye shows up, either in Daredevil or Punisher.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lord Hydronium posted:

I thought the assumption was that Madame Gao would tie into IF.

Give me Fin Fang Foom complete with underwear :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

-Blackadder- posted:

Either way, having Bullseye as the main villain for season 3 seems like a no brainer and should be great if he's as well cast as the Punisher. Anyone have any thoughts on who would be a good actor for that role?

Paul Giamatti.

I ain't even joking, I know he's not the traditional tall muscle-man dude, but I think he'd be great as a smug weirdo who can turn anything into a deadly weapon. Basically just tweak his character from Shoot 'Em Up and let him loose.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just finished up the series, I really loved it though I felt the first 7 episodes were stronger. While I really dug what they did with Mariah and Shades, I just missed Cottonmouth who was just magnetic on-screen, and I felt that the show was a little lesser not having him around in the last six episodes. Diamondback was fun as a completely chaotic psychopath but he wasn't anywhere near as strong as Mahershala Ali who just blew me away with his performance.

Loved all the quasi-references to The Wire and the heavy use of former castmembers - all the updated/modern takes on blaxploitation cinema was great too. Another thing I really missed that featured heavily in the first half of the series were all the musical numbers, there was some great loving music in this show.

Agree with what I've seen a lot of people post about how much Shades grew on me as a character as the series went on, nice to see Theo Rossi still getting work. His big scene in (I think) episode 12 really did have me believing they were going to kill him off and I was so relieved to see him survive, even if Zip dying as a result was a downer.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Serf posted:

Rom the Spaceknight

I unironically can't wait till the Rom: Spaceknight Netflix series :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

You know Marvel doesn't have the rights to him anymore, right?

They got Spider-Man back, they'll get the X-Men back, eventually they'll even get the Fantastic Four back. All of which will have just been test cases for the most important IP of them all, Rom: Spaceknight!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fox: So long as we've got Bryan Singer willing to make X-Men films, we'll be fine!
Bryan Singer makes X-Men: Apocalypse
Fox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wol70cBLNd8

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

I've realized the error of my ways. Gonna watch me some Justified.

Good choice, the penultimate season is a little weak but then it returns to form. Great setting, and Walt Goggins is loving amazing (goes without saying I know).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Falstaff posted:

This is a thing I've seen making the rounds on facebook lately, relevant to Luke Cage.

Haha, this is great.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I want somebody to do something like for Jessica Jones and Daredevil too

In the Alias comic, the flashbacks to her short-lived superhero career were drawn in bright colored 90s comic style by Mark Bagley in order to make them stand even further out from the darker palette/more stylized art of her day to day life. It would have been kind of hilarious to see something akin to Mr Robot's sitcom coma in parts of JJ.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Drifter posted:

If you guys want to actually want to watch honest to god good and inventive and creative television about a Marvel character, you need to seriously be watching FX's Legion.

It's about an XMan but not in an XMen world but it's so goddamned well made and interesting.

After finishing Iron Fist and being pretty underwhelmed, I just watched the first episode of Legion and man was it good.

This is still the first of the Netflix Marvel series that didn't really grab me so I still have hopes for what they're doing next, but Iron Fist did feel like a surprising misstep. Colleen Wing was cool as hell at least.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I know it's because of his (really intense!) childhood trauma from his plane crash, but it cracked me up when heaven's ultimate warrior-monk had a panic attack and had to be taught calming techniques by an ex-nurse from Hell's Kitchen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was really underwhelmed by the Drunken Master. I don't know if the guy was a real martial artist or something, but I thought his acting (especially his drunk acting) was really contrived.

That COULD have been an amazing scene but it just felt kinda bland. To be honest I can't think of a single particularly memorable or compelling fight in the entire series. Certainly nothing to compare to Daredevil's hallway fight, or Punisher's destruction of a cellblock worth of inmates, or Jessica and Luke going toe to toe. I figured once they got to the "tournament" with the Hand that would be the big "fight" I'd remember through the show, but that was pretty pathetic too.

Actually scratch that, Colleen's cage-fighting antics were pretty fun. Colleen would have been a way more interesting lead than Danny too, sadly. An enthusiastic member of The Hand who has been completely lied to about who and what they are, who discovers that everything she believes in and has based her own (noble) philosophies on were a complete lie.

Edit: Added spoiler tags sorry.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 27, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Welp that was a hell of an episode 1 :stare:

The "El Paso, Texas" bit was an unexpected laugh :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just finished up the series and really enjoyed it, not quite as good as the highs of Jessica Jones but it was probably the best paced of all the Netflix Marvel shows so far and the story didn't end up feeling stretched out like others did. I did feel it lacked a particularly strong antagonist, in that the top bad guy didn't particularly have any depth and Billy Russo had most of the nuance removed from them after he's revealed to be the bad guy, which I'm sure everybody guessed immediately, and then he reveals himself to Frank and Madani in such a clunky, obvious and out-of-character way.

The way the show dealt with/explored issues of PTSD, the abandonment or neglect of veterans and the daily struggle of dealing with the emotional and psychological scars it leaves behind was unexpected but extremely welcome, and I was so glad the show went out of its way to acknowledge that Frank is an extremely broken and hosed up person.

It sure was nice to watch a Netflix Marvel show again that didn't fall apart halfway through or just never take off the ground at all (I was so enthusiastic about Defenders too :sigh:)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

That ending could not have been more perfect. I know they won't, but they should just end it there any not make another series.

Yeah, I know it's unlikely but if the character in the Netflix universe was to end the way it did in the final scene of the final episode I'd actually be really happy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gyges posted:

I'd kind of like a one or two episode mini series of Frank running into The Hand. So used to dealing with the worst Iron Fist and the Devil of Hell's Kitchen that they don't know what to do when the murder bellowing starts.

One of the best parts of the back half of DD Season 2 is when Matt and Elektra find themselves surrounded by ninjas on a rooftop... who then all get mowed down by Frank from an adjacent rooftop, doing his best impersonation of Steve Buscemi in that Adam Sandler movie.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Javid posted:

I'd love it if they did something like The Slavers for S2. Somebody not at all related to his backstory, but just so evil he can't not get involved. That would be way more interesting to me than doing stuff from his past again.

"All that counts is you can't stop me. I'm stronger than you, so I can do anything I want. Isn't that the way it works?" from The Slavers is still one of the most hosed up things I've seen in a comic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Serf posted:

The Punisher had a near-perfect ending and I hope they don't make another season

Yeah, as much as I dig Bernthal in the role I would still like this to be a one and done. The ending is bittersweet yet oddly hopeful and I like the idea of Frank's ending being him sitting there in a support group finally willing to start opening up and dealing with his issues in a non-violent way. I'm pretty sure we're outside the spoiler window now, but just to be on the safe side.

It's unlikely since they probably signed him to at least a two season deal, but still it would be nice.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Have there been any hints on what the plot or villain might be? It's not like there's a deep bench of Jessica Jones villains. They did a little foreshadowing about the origins of her powers in season one but that would be pretty thin for a whole season.

I hope literally the entire season is that one Alias storyline where J Jonah Jameson hires her to get dirt... DIRT ON SPIDER-MAN! and she spends her entire time and all the money he gives her on various charities for sick kids instead. JJJ has a meltdown when he finds out and threatens to sue, and Robbie has to gently explain that suing somebody for volunteering to sing and play music for sick children isn't a good look. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

They're probably going to go with a better subtitle than "Infinity War 2" but they're keeping quiet because it might give away how they leave things at the end of the first film.

Infinity War 2: DOOM!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Finished up the season, I really enjoyed it and thought the pacing was much better than season 1, even if it never hit the heights that season did and in particular felt lacking a concrete villain to hate like The Purple Man.

I dug that most of the characters acted as reflections of Jessica, or at least the surface level view that most people seem to have of Jessica as selfish and self-destructive. Everybody's behavior was incredibly selfish but for the most part they lied to themselves about having more altruistic motives, and it was (deliberately, I'm sure) frustrating to see them try to blame Jessica for THEIR actions. Jessica meanwhile gets to travel through her self-loathing and eventually discover what feel like really important revelations: she is NOT a killer, she does want more from life, and she can't keep closing herself off. The final shot feels hopeful even in spite of all the horrible things that went on around it, and I like that this time it feels like it is Jessica making that step forward to engage with the world instead of having somebody else do it for her like Malcolm did at the end of season 1.

There was some contrived stuff in there for sure, and a real pet peeve of mine is when monstrous characters not only don't get called out on their poo poo but actually poo poo on somebody for being so immature as to not immediately understand and forgive them. So a lot of the Karl/Mom stuff really grated me the wrong way: Karl in particular I hated, he was a gigantic piece of poo poo and it sucked that he never really got called out on his false humility - even his death was a monstrously selfish act that just caused even more problems. But the thing that really pissed me off was Trish getting rewarded with powers, even if that seemed inevitable given her comic origins, that really rubbed me the wrong way.

I like what they're doing with Malcolm but ending up with the dickhead PI really didn't make much sense to me but then neither did most of that subplot. What really surprised me was how much I enjoyed Hogarth's storyline, even if it was largely detached from the main storyline. Carrie-Ann Moss did a great job and ran a pretty intense gamut of emotions across the season.

The shake-up of the relationships makes season 3 an interesting concept, though I wonder what the villain situation would be - I don't think it would be anything as trite as Jessica vs Trish and I'm already kinda dreading what will probably be an inevitable reunion that the latter really doesn't deserve... though if the writing is good enough, I'm sure I'll change my mind.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Slashrat posted:

It seems pretty clear that Malus was the only one at IGH with truly benevolent intentions. He even says himself that he cut ties with Kozlov and Hansen and shut the clinic down, which likely just means that the facility he specifically worked at ceased to operate in his absence, but IGH, Kozlov and Hansen continued to use the all the acquired research elsewhere.

I do wanna stress that in my opinion, Malus may have had benevolent intentions but he was an incredibly selfish and arrogant person who hid that (even from himself, you could argue) behind false humility and the kooky hippy personality/look. He never takes responsibility for anything he did aside from lipservice, and his "sacrifice" is just as selfish and completely fucks over Jessica's mother in the process, yet another casualty/side-effect of his experiments.

Basically gently caress everybody but Jessica, Vido and maybe Oscar. Maybe. :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I actually like Malcolm but I'm mad at him for signing on with Pryce, mostly because I thought that character was really lame and bad. Plus of course he makes some spectacularly stupid decisions which is forgiveable, but it actively fucks over Jessica and I dislike that given the way season 1 wrapped up so nicely between the two.

It'll probably go somewhere interesting in season 3 at least, even if it means there is going to be more Pryce.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

First 1.5 seasons of Daredevil are really good. First half of Luke Cage is great. Iron Fist is bad, Defenders is worse. Punisher I thought was really good but not as good as Jessica Jones which is my favorite of the Marvel Netflix shows.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DeathSandwich posted:

I must be the mutant in the thread because I actually thought Season 2 was better than Season 1.

I dug this season too, though it certainly has plenty of flaws I felt it was better paced than the first season and for the most part I really dug the various character's storylines. The lack of a solid capital V villain like Kilgrave was noticeable though, but then I'm not really sure how you could follow up such a hosed up and well acted character like that without it feeling disappointing, so maybe it was for the best they didn't really try.

I'd still rank season 1 above this one, but overall I really enjoyed it, warts and all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I had no idea this new season of Punisher was coming out (Hell I only just caught up on Daredevil Season 3) but having watched episode 1 I'm glad to see the murder bellows are back.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's still another season of Jessica jones to go, I believe.

I really, really hope they can return to the form of the first season. The second season wasn't terrible but the mother was a pretty poor antagonist and the lovely doctor NEVER got successfully called out for his utterly reprehensible bullshit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Jessica's interactions with him were nothing but this.

Yeah and every single time she'd get ripped on for being ungrateful and foolish and not understanding on how wonderful and forward thinking the guy was, and then the guy proceeded to prove he had learned nothing and was still completely selfish and obsessed with doing whatever he wanted for his own benefit but never got called out on it and it was supposed to be considered a sad thing that he died.

That plus Trish being rewarded for her horrible and selfish actions really left a bad taste in my mouth. The entire season was full of people who abused or took advantage of Jessica for their own benefit and were rewarded for it, as opposed to the first season which was full of people who continued to try to help her and be there for her in spite of her own self destructive tendencies and self-loathing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

As Nero Danced posted:

should I bother to watch Luke Cage's second season or is it mired in the same crap that dragged down most of everything else?

I thought LC season 2 started really strong but the back half started to fall apart and I really disliked the ending, especially now that I know nothing more will ever come of it.

I heard the second season of Iron Fist was better than the first, but the first was bad enough I never had any desire to catch up on it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'd already read people discussing it here so thought I would be ready for it, but seriously, THOSE are the scars? :lol:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thundercracker posted:

I can personally say The Defenders was my "Ok, I'm out" moment.

Goodwill got me through Iron Fist season 1, but yeah Defenders was where I went,"This is just embarrassingly bad" and it killed a lot of my interest. It also doesn't help that a new big Netflix series used to be a big deal but nowadays there seems to be 2 or 3 new original series dropping a week and not much generates interest: hell, I think probably the only pre-existing Netflix series likely to get a lot of buzz before it comes out anymore is going to be season 3 of Stranger Things. I literally didn't know Daredevil season 3 had come out till like 6 weeks after it was out, and only got around to watching it this month. Punisher I was only a couple days late on, but only because I happened to see somebody post on a completely unrelated topic just casually offhand mention the new series had just come out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well I finished the season and have to agree with all the comments about the Russo subplot feeling superfluous and detracting from the Pilgrim storyline. That said, I was a big fan of how it wrapped up with Frank just walking in, shooting Russo in the middle of one of his endless speeches/diatribes, then just walking away.

I really dug the end of the first season and even though I knew it was unlikely, I had kind of hoped they'd be a one-and-done and actually leave Frank with some tiny sliver of hope for maybe moving on with his life. There's nothing like that (the opposite in fact) at the end of the second season, and it's unlikely there'll be a third. I really wonder what an 8 episode season that was basically just the Pilgrim storyline would have been like, I certainly found him a far more interesting character than Russo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I feel like it's similar to the end of Luke Cage -- Frank is accepting what he thinks is his inevitable fate. Both could use one more season to allow the characters to elevate themselves above it, but I'm also fine with where they ended up.

God I wish that Luke Cage season 2 had ended with Mariah making her big speech about Harlem's Paradise being a corrupting influence she would use to bring Luke down to her level, and then Luke had just said,"Thanks!" and tore it down and turned it into a community center

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That should have been the major plot, and the hangover stuff from last year really got in the way. The Pilgrim was a far more interesting antagonist, or at least could have been. You could easily maintain all the same "WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN YOU AND <BAD GUY>!?!" nonsense from the other storyline, and removed the problem of the two storylines competing with each other for screentime and diluting each other.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Did anyone else get the impression, that when we first saw the church/Schultzes, that they were also responsible for the people in their congregation for being ill?

Yeah I kept waiting for this to be a reveal but it just never came up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

notthegoatseguy posted:

Did S2 do anything to do better in that regard?

She goes backwards essentially :smith:

There was some potential to mine how she dealt with the trauma of her headshot, but they basically abandon her drinking problem issue almost immediately, spend far too much time on a,"AM I EXACTLY AS BAD AS <horrible murderer> IF I KILL HIM?" storyline that is already being done with Frank anyway, and perhaps worst of all introduce the concept of her seeing the burned out, immoral result of her current path in the CIA lady but then she.... just ends up working in the CIA in the same role and apparently much happier as a result?. The supporting characters who were around her in season 1 are either entirely absent or barely appear in like one episode, and basically it feels more like she was there out of contractual obligation as the main potential storyline of season 2 is constantly interupted or sidelined for hangover stuff from season 1 to get in the way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Only good part of the back half of Daredevil Season 2 was The Punisher showing up to reenact Steve Buscemi's role from Billy Madison.

The difference in quality between the Punisher half of the season and the "Oh Jesus gently caress, ninjas AGAIN!?!" half is striking.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mandrel posted:

the only scene with Billy that worked for me was when he gets casually executed mid-tiresome blubbering crazy guy pity party by Frank, echoing my feelings towards the character and his entire lame role throughout the season.

Yeah, that was basically the only good use of the character, which is a real waste since he was pretty great in season 1.

At least this season didn't have anything as appallingly written as the gun-control guy from the first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Speaking of, where the gently caress is a Netflix Judge Dredd series starting Karl Urban? I feel like the fact that this doesn't exist is proof that Netflix has failed us.

In all seriousness, I believe a Judge Dredd series has been greenlit (no idea who is producing it/where it will air) and they have actually been in talks with Urban about doing it?