Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

STAC Goat posted:

According to Wiki Ritter wasn't cast as Jones until December 2014 and she wasn't even being talked about as far back as August-October. That's basically a year before release. Iron Fist isn't going to come around until late 2016 at the earliest so it seems like we're not behind at all on the information/production progress for Iron Fist. Its just a long ways out and they only recently started filming Cage.

I think what has people thrown off is that Cage was cast way earlier than Jones/Daredevil because he's part of the Jones series. No Iron Fist cast suggest that he won't be part of the Cage series but I don't think it gives an indication that the show isn't being made. Just that its not up yet because theres still two series (DD S2 and Cage) being made before it.

The lack of a showrunner is the bigger concern than the lack of casting news, though how much so depends on whether IF is supposed to hit late 2016 or not until spring/summer 2017. The shortest showrunner->filming gap thus far has been five months for Luke Cage, and the filming->premiere timetable thus far has been nine months... so *if* IF is supposed to premiere by the end of next year, they probably need to have a showrunner by the end of this year at the latest, and the lead cast only slightly later than that.

But if it's not coming until mid-2017, they of course have a bit more time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I think that's just basically why I feel like its a non-issue. DD and Cage are both set for 2016 so unless they really stack next year we're probably not getting Iron Fist for another 18 months or something. So to me it just feels like Iron Fist is queued up but they haven't gotten to it yet. But I imagine they're in pre-pre-Production with all this stuff.

Luke Cage would hit in June/July if it follows the same production->premiere timetable as DD S1 and JJ, which is why I think there's at least a significant chance they're aiming to fit in a third premiere towards the end of the year.

That could end up being JJ S2, though.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

HIJK posted:

Some spoilers posted to Reddit by an ~anonymous source~ said that Luke Cage is based in Harlem so it's possible they will continue to branch out.

Jessica kind of goes all over the place to get her jobs. What part of New York would suit Danny?

If by "spoilers" you mean "things that Colter and others involved with the show have publicly discussed," sure

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

That's inevitable given the comic was a bunch of hugely disconnected stories and the final conflict was resolved via Deus ex Machina from a character Marvel doesn't own the adaptation rights to.

Well, they could have gone with a more procedural format (and probably would have if ABC had picked up the show back in the day), but that's not really what Netflix does.

And while I've noted this before, even setting aside specific characters like Jean Grey, Carol Danvers, and Scott Lang, the entire theme of Jessica's relationship with the superhero community, which was a major part of Alias, doesn't work in the MCU because there's no superhero community to speak of. Aside from the Avengers, who obviously aren't available and none of whom seem to regularly patrol New York like their 616 counterparts anyway.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Train Surgeon posted:

The spelling mistakes in these make me wary of it being real...

There are links.

The Sharmat posted:

I'm not sure how well that would translate anyway. I mean I don't read many comics anymore so I don't know how it's usually handled, but reading Alias that part almost came across like the Venture Brothers.

Not really sure what you mean by that...

Coffeehitler posted:

There's rumors that Iron Fist is going to be a feature instead of a series with the potential of Punisher being the fourth Defender depending on how he's received in Daredevil S2. Reasons for the series to feature move is the trouble of adding the mystical angle, which wasn't really touched on for the Hand in Daredevil S1.

Oh, god, please don't put Punisher on the Defenders.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Deakul posted:

Also, what the hell, where's the episode titled "Jewel and the Power Man"? :(

"AKA Kumbaya Circle Jerk" was also retitled.

I also note that the series' official synopsis was recently changed from this:

quote:

After a tragic ending to her short-lived super hero stint, Jessica Jones is rebuilding her personal life and career as a detective who gets pulled into cases involving people with extraordinary abilities in New York City.

To this:

quote:

Haunted by a traumatic past, Jessica Jones uses her gifts as a private eye to find her tormentor before he can harm anyone else in Hell’s Kitchen.

Not sure what, if anything, that says about how (whether?) the show will depict her brief career as Jewel, but it bears noting.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

X-O posted:

I kind of hope in the show there was no brief superhero career as The Jewel. That's one of the few things about the comic I didn't like.

Well, every synopsis prior to this has referred to her as a former superhero, and the prequel comic even used the phrase "costumed superhero." So I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

The mystical stuff in Daredevil S1 is mostly implicit and a long way from what a halfway decent IF adaptation would have to do.

That said, DD S2 looks to have more of an emphasis on the Hand, and there are rumors of Gao in Luke Cage, so that may be less of problem by the end of next year or spring 2017 or whenever IF is supposed to premiere.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Snak posted:

Of course it is. Because Daredevil isn't about those things.

Well, sure, but magic fists, CG dragons, and interdimensional portals are pretty far removed tonally from DD S1 and what we've seen of JJ.

I wouldn't mind a drastic tonal shift from the other series at all, but then, I'm not involved with the show.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Y'all motherfuckers need some visual aids. These are all from the "Immortal Iron Fist" series of a few years ago that with nigh-certainty would be the basis for the show, found after literally 5 minutes of googling:

If y'all can't see how this style could be approximated quite easily for the MCU, then I think that's more your fault than the material.

The MCU in general, obviously. In a manner tonally consistent with the other Netflix shows... Well, I don't think anyone's saying it's impossible, but it's not hard to see why that could be more of a challenge.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

It's not like Daredevil existed in some hardcore reality version of the MCU. It was essentially the same as the movies with moodier lighting, embracing the criminal element over the supervillain, and a much higher emphasis on what combat/violence does to a human body.

I have to disagree with that. I found it so tonally and stylistically removed from the rest of the MCU that it felt like a separate universe; I couldn't really imagine this Daredevil ever crossing paths with Quake, Coulson, and Mockingbird, let alone the Avengers.

Snak posted:

Daredevil was trained by a Zatoichi-esque blind warrior and he fights a ninja who slowed his heartbeat and hid in a building so he wouldn't be detected even by super-hearing.

Not some sort of "realistic" ninja, but a guy wearing a goofy colored hollywood/video game getup swinging a hookblade around on a chain.

And for me, those episodes didn't mesh very well with the Daredevil Fights Realistic Crime tone at all. Hopefully, S2 will balance things a bit better rather than skewing so far in the direction of groundedness; Stick being in three episodes rather than only one is a good sign.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 2, 2015

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Coffeehitler posted:

No poo poo Coulson and his band of broken toys isn't going to run into Matt Murdock, they don't really operate a lot in New York City. And if the Avengers decide to slum it in a poo poo hole like Hell's Kitchen, they have a slim chance of running into Matt Murdock the loving Daredevil. The Netflix shows are supposed to be loving gritty, not bright and happy. Insert some poo poo about the plight of the common man as opposed to the happy go lucky bullshit of a super hero, and you've got the gist of the Netflix shows v. the ABC or movie titles.

You're kinda misinterpreting what I said. First, it wasn't really meant as a criticism at all (though I do think DD S1 could and should have embraced the fantastic elements a bit more without having to lose the darker tone).

Secondly, there obviously isn't a good story reason for DD to team up with SHIELD or the Avengers, but that's not my point, just that the tonal contrast between DD and [insert any other non-Netflix MCU property here] is a lot greater than between, say, Thor and Ant-Man or Agent Carter and Hulk.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

That's more of a fault of your imagination than the material, considering that "this" Daredevil is functionally identical to the Daredevil that's been running into the Avengers and SHIELD for 50 years.

Eh, I don't think so.

First of all, the MCU films and ABC series, while never as homogeneous as their detractors claim, are a lot less diverse than their counterparts in the comics.

Secondly, even Marvel's grittiest street-level books, outside the MAX line, almost never minimize the fantastic elements of their universe to the extent that DD S1 did (outside the Stick and Nobu episodes, anyway).

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 3, 2015

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

And again it's a fault of your imagination. If you can't imagine a tone between the wild silliness of the Avengers/AoU and the self-serious grimness of Daredevil then that really isn't the material's problem.

It's not even hard, just play up the contrast for humor which is at least 2/3rds of the appeal of seeing characters like the Avengers in the first place-- how does a tech genius react to a Norse God-Alien react to a WWII pulp action hero react to a "dark science" fugitive react to relatively modern-day superspies? Hell half of the appeal with putting the Hulk in Thor 3 is "how is Bruce Banner going to react to Asgard?" with the other half being "what from Planet Hulk are they gonna work into the movie?"

For a practical example in TV specifically look at the Arrow/Flash crossover last year. The entire thematic premise is "how does a grim, self-serious vigilante react to a fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants wacky science superhero?" It can totally work.

Arrow and Flash have never been quite as different in tone as that comparison implies, and I'm not trying to say that it would be literally impossible to make a crossover between Daredevil and other MCU properties work.

But I do maintain, without (mostly) saying this as a criticism, that DD S1 didn't *feel* like it was in the same universe as any other MCU property. The showrunners kept saying that they intended to make more of a crime drama than a superhero series, and for the most part, that's what they delivered.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

This is the same PR department that claims that The Winter Soldier was a "political thriller." Regardless of what anyone says their intent was all Marvel Stuidos projects clearly work from the same base and while Daredevil as a show struck further from the pack than most there was nothing about it that wouldn't slot in nicely anywhere else in the MCU with a modicum of effort. That's my point, really.

Here's how Frank Miller--the father of "gritty" Daredevil--drew the Avengers intruding on Daredevil's poo poo:

Ignore the garish aquamarine and yellow backgrounds (printing techniques for comics in the 80s sucked as artists tried to get out of the four-color scheme any way they could), and look at everything else about the tone:

The Avengers are framed as imposing intruders with the perspective on 2/3 being shown from below, and noticeably shaded much darker than their usual bright selves with Thor being cast in silhouette as essentially a force of nature. Meanwhile Daredevil and his opponent (Nuke) are men on the ground--strong men, but clearly just men--not icons as Iron Man confidently stands in their way. Miller's trademark purple prose narration underscores everything further hammering home how out-of-place the Avengers are and yet they still work with a few basic tweaks to how they're usually staged and drawn.

I'm not saying that to be a dick, I'm saying that because the whole "do they work can they work?" argument was one I grew tired of in the 00s back when the very idea of a Thor solo movie was ludicrous let alone 3 and by now it feels more than a little retrograde to still stick one's head in the mud and go "I just don't see how it can work!" even though there are literally decades worth of reference material to give you an idea and a billion dollar franchise proving that this stuff can work with a little effort.

Sheesh, you're still taking "couldn't really imagine this Daredevil ever crossing paths" way too literally.

Anyway, two nitpicks: first, Daredevil isn't a Marvel Studios project; second, that's David Mazzucchelli art (Miller only wrote that storyline).

While there is clearly a Marvel Studios house style that's reflected in the films and the ABC shows, I honestly don't feel Daredevil reflected its influence at all. Agree to disagree, I guess.

And, more pertinent to Iron Fist, that very scene from Born Again was actually one of the first things I thought of when I observed a few posts back that even the vast majority of 616 street-level books don't avoid fantastic elements to the extent that DD S1 did. It would be a good way to handle the Avengers if they were ever somehow available for a Netflix show, though, I won't disagree there.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

But Punisher is an inspiration to military and law enforcement everywhere, as Bernthal so eloquently said :barf:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Daredevil was as dark as the :nolan: films.

I'd definitely say it was darker, but to each his own.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

THR review, first I've seen from a major US outlet (not counting MTV):

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/marvels-jessica-jones-tv-review-837896

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Weird that they claim it has fewer MCU ties than Daredevil, when what they describe sounds like significantly more.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Drifter posted:

The only tie DD had was mentioning Aliens and Avengers in the first ep, no?

Basically, right?

It wasn't just the first episode, but the MCU references were limited to something like three lines of dialogue total and the Bulletin front pages in Urich's office.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Not-massive, not-trivial spoiler about how the Jewel backstory is being handled here:

http://www.tvguide.com/news/mega-buzz-jessica-jones-jewel-costume/

Seems to make sense for this universe.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Well, "being worked on" isn't as strong a denial as I would have hoped - it doesn't mean they've settled on a creative direction or are close to hiring a showrunner, let alone casting the lead - but it's something, at least.

Anyway, tons of JJ reviews out today and yesterday, and they're almost all extremely positive.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Stealthed Zombie posted:

https://twitter.com/JessicaJones/status/667435049935966208

Did we already see the opening sequence?

If not, I think this is it.

Not as Mack-esque as I'd been led to believe, but I like it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Dexo posted:

Because like in comics themselves they found another theme or story they could tell with this character that would be cool so they are going to go with it.

Also, the contrast between Jessica and the Avengers et al was never the sole theme of Alias. A major theme, yes, and its omission might well be the biggest change here, but not the only thing an adaptation could work with.

But yes, to make something resembling a faithful adaptation of Alias, you would need a more normalized superhuman presence than what exists in the MCU.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It was only the most important theme. Alias was all about it. The superheroic world is presented as an almost mythic plane of reality, and the intrigue comes from how real people have to deal with it. In the first story arc, Jessica Jones ens up being a pawn between SHIELD and a supervillain, and it's terrifying because she's a normal (if enhanced) person dealing with forces incomprehensible in normal reality. She gets outfoxed and intimidated by a Homicide detective, how is she going to deal with SHIELD and a billionaire criminal mastermind? Or look at the Rick Jones arc, which is almost as thematically important to the series as Purple Man (who in the comic's world represents the ultimate violence).

"Superheroic reality" being handled through realistic logic is a reoccurring motif in Brian Bendis' comics. Ultimate Spider-Man emphasises superheroic reality being a kind of violent intrusion into people's lives (Mark Bagley makes action in the series always explosive), with Peter Parker as somebody who navigates both worlds. Even "Bendis-speak" is part of that: applying a pseudo-realistic speech pattern to an unrealistic genre.

I don't really disagree, but I don't think that makes Rosenberg's et al's focus on Jessica herself, at a distance from any broader Marvel context, better or worse. It's just different.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

jivjov posted:

What are the odds of a surprise early release this evening? Or should I just resign myself to not watching anything til after work tomorrow?

Zero, pretty much. Netflix releases just about all their originals at midnight Pacific on Fridays.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

jivjov posted:

Ahh, the Orange is the New Black early release was a one-off then?

I actually didn't know that that had happened, but probably?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Holy gently caress, episode 9 is intense.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Hollismason posted:

I think Defenders is only going to be 6 episodes.

Eight, I think. The reports were that the original package (not including S2s of anything) was 60 episodes.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Gyges posted:

Season 2 Daredevil was an addition. It's still early for Iron Fist, next year already has DDS2 and LKS1.

It's possible that IF is supposed to be late next year or early in 2017, in which case it's fair to say they're running out of time to at least hire a showrunner. But it's tough to gauge that when the premiere date is still just TBA.

I think it's premature to assume the worst, but I'm not going to assume all is well until they hire a showrunner, given that they've been promising news "soon" or "close" since this summer.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Hollismason posted:

I thought that Shang Chi was Marvel Property but that his dad being Fu Manchu they had to skirt around it when they lost the rights. Pretty sure he's appeared in animated stuff.

They wholly own Shang Chi, yes. Just not Fu Manchu or any of the other Sax Rohmer characters, and that's not much of a burden when you don't have to write around the characters previously having appeared in canon.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Yeah, I think it'd probably have benefited even more from a less intense focus on Kilgrave than from a shorter episode count.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

SG would belong to fox, wouldn't she?

Unlikely. I don't think anyone at Marvel or Fox has confirmed it either way, but it seems very implausible that Fox would automatically get the rights to all characters defined as mutants in 616, regardless of the extent of their ties to the X-Men property; if that's how it worked, wouldn't they have 100% of the rights to Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch?

Titan posted:

I think they retconned her, or are planning to anyways, so she's an Inhuman and not a mutant.

This is nonsense, though. If the lawyers *had* decided that Fox had the rights to Squirrel Girl based on past references to her as a mutant, it wouldn't matter what Marvel did with her in the comics (note that Fox can still use Quicksilver, despite Marvel retconning him as being neither a mutant nor Magneto's son).

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 26, 2015

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Grain of salt, but there's a new rumor that Marvel Television has finally found a showrunner for Iron Fist.

Unfortunately, it's the guy who ran the later seasons of Dexter.

http://comicbook.com/2015/12/02/marvel-netflixs-iron-fist-lands-scott-buck-as-showrunner/

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Buck on Iron First is official now.

http://marvel.com/news/tv/25516/scott_buck_to_showrun_the_netflix_original_series_marvels_iron_fist?linkId=19388163

Guess they haven't decided whether it's late 2016 or 2017 yet, as there's no date given at all.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Xtanstic posted:

Are we supposed to get Daredevil S2 and Luke Cage in 2016?

Yes, but they'd be April and June/July premieres, respectively, if they go by the same timetable as DD S1 and JJ. So In theory, there's room for a third show later next year, though it's by no means a sure thing.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rarity posted:

JJ premiered last month though :confused:

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

Daredevil started filming in July 2014, and premiered the following April. JJ started filming in February of this year, and premiered last month. So about nine months from the start of filming to the premiere date, which would put DD S2 and Luke Cage around April and June, given that they started filming in July and September, respectively.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

NmareBfly posted:

What does it gain them to announce a specific date before like a month in advance once they're totally sure they have the whole show where they want it to be? I'm sure they have internal deadlines for production since it'd be crazy not to, but if they don't announce stuff publicly there's plenty of wiggle room for reshoots or whatever and they don't have to worry about hand-wringing from all over the internet if something slips by a week.

No one should expect a specific date. It's just a bit odd that they're not even specifying a year, which they've done well in advance with their other shows once they start coming together.

Not saying it's that big a deal, though, as long as the creative side is finally falling into place.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

so GROUNDED and REALISTIC that the Punisher wearing a skull shirt is deemed too fanciful

Looking forward to S2 anyway, but geez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Sarandos clarified that JJ S2's timing depends on Defenders (which is contractually obligated to begin production by a certain date), so it sounds like it's a ways off.