Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Hey all

I'm thinking about getting back into painting space dollies, and have a somewhat weird question.

I moved cities 9 months ago, and my old house mate was nice enough to let me leave all my hobby gear at his place where I more or less forgot about it. I'm flying back there in a few days, and will need to pack it all up and send it to myself. I was wondering if it'd be possible to box up some of it and put it on my return flight as checked luggage. Has anyone flown with paints (in this case the post 2012 GW) before? Is it doable, or are they all going to have pressure issues and blow up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Faaark.

I wonder if taping each pot shut with electrical tape would do it.

And then I'll pack them in small zip locks I guess.

Thanks duder.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

SRM posted:

I love their tutorials. I used all their Dark Angels ones on my DAs:

So good. So so good.

Checking out the blog now, looks super helpful.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

PyroDwarf posted:

Am I crazy thinking that the skin and rags on these guys looks un-finished? I still have to do the eyes and teeth and a few touch ups here and there.

I agree. I think the issue might be that the model lacks contrast. You've got a lot of what appears to be washes over white, but no bold colour or contrast, so everything looks a bit bland.

Maybe once their based it'll pull together, but personally, I'd run a colour / wash / highlight over the scraps of clothing to separate them from the skin.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'm thinking about starting either a Tallarn or Steel Legion army.

I've tried to do desert style fatigues in the past and been generally unhappy with the result, I'm wanting to create a look very similar to the below. Anyone have any tips or paint combinations to get it looking something similar to this?

I use GW paints, if that helps.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Spent the afternoon trying out paint schemes for my Steel Legion tanks

Ended up going with the top option, and then weathering it up. Maybe a little too much.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Just wrapped up my first painted unit for the year. Also need to sort out a better way to photograph them, the light's too harsh, makes them look gloss varnished. Thinking putting up some thin cloth will help.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'm not sure how well that'll translate to man barbies -

Hot pink on black is difficult, painting it in 3D space is super hard. That said, I use GW's 'Ardcoat to gloss up visors and screens, does very well in a single pass.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Spent the weekend finishing up some Chimeras. 6 to go.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Thanks!

8 or something to go.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Woah, these look great, but I thought those lightning bolts were supposed to be the fast-attack icons.

Like this:

It probably does not matter, and maybe I am super wrong and those are a specific symbol for the legion.

You're half right actually!

I think that was the idea originally to use the fast attack icon, and I thought it was upside down too, but all the GW released stuff is upside down: (and red?)

So I did it they way they did it, even though it takes a bit to get used to.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
God damnit, now I'm having thoughts of tearing them off and doing the OG style somehow.

Space Hams :argh:

Edit: I wonder how hard it would be to create this as a transfer:

Yeast fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 3, 2016

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Finished up another squad of steel legion.

Love Secret Weapon Miniatures razor wire. A+ stuff.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

It's comical how heavy this thing is now. So much resin.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Uroboros posted:

Is getting an airbrush a requirement at some point?

Yes.

Also, wet blending, and not dry brushing your edge highlights.

Weathering pigments for your vehicles, and more stages of highlighting / shading.

edit: the lenses on your land raider are A+ delicious.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Sounds overwhelming. Good luck. :)

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
So drat good.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Finished my first Hellhound, and another 3 Chimeras over the weekend

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

BULBASAUR posted:

You make me want to paint my army differently.

Thanks for the kind words :)

TTerrible posted:

This thing is awesome. Is that a ton of salt weathering or did you use chipping fluid stuff?

no salt at this stage, after base coating one of the first steps is sponging on rhinox hide using a thing of foam, to get that blasted, battered look.

The rest is a poo poo ton of weathering powders, typhus corrosion + ryza rust. Secret Weapon miniatures (the powders) pretty much changed the way I paint models.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

crime fighting hog posted:

I was messing around on the same tank today and tried taping off certain parts and toying with patterns. Even after glosscoating before putting on the tape, the tape still peeled some of the paint off with it, no matter how gentle I was.

I'm using the Tamiya painter's tape, really narrow -is there something better to use? Kinda messes things up but thankfully I was just practicing.

I find that really weird, I use Tamiya Painter's too. What are you using to prime over plastic?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah that is crazy, also it means you can't decide which way they are looking.

Why not both ways?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Wet palette or bust.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

BULBASAUR posted:

I used a wet palette when I was starting out, but as I gained experience and started to batch paint I migrated over to a dry plastic one. For individual models or wet blending I would def still use it.

I use it for batch painting, but mainly because :australia: it's so hot here 6 months of the year paint dries on the palette before you can get through 1/3rd of it

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

SERPUS posted:

I bought a pot of citadel Maccragge Blue and I'm really confused. This came out basically purple to my eyes. I'm trying to build to an Ultramarine Space Marine color, and this just seems really dark on top of a black primer. I feel like I should have started with their Altdorf Blue.

That's ok, you're using it as a base coat, so if nothing else it's just creating a good starting point, and using the base pigment density to cover the black.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Frobbe posted:

I've recently bought Winsor & Newton Series 7 Short size 1 and 2, they're pretty drat nice and aren't that expensive per brush. I will be buying a size 3 and size 0 sometime in the future though. the short means the hairs aren't so long, making it easier to control when painting miniatures and such.

Very much depends on how many miniatures you're painting in a sitting, I find.

From left to right is the Raphael 8404, the Scharff 3000, Citadel Artificer, and the W&N Series 7

My personal favourite now is the Scharff, the hair bounce back is beautiful, its tip is lovely and because it can hold more paint I can get more mans done. It's modelled after the Raphael, before their QC went to hell.

Edit: I should say, their size 0 is for me, the best paint brush I've ever used for painting, I've got 4 spares because I know one day, they'll disappear or change them somehow.

Yeast fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 6, 2016

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
To be fair, I spray anywhere up to 30c (85f)

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Finished up my Steel Legion armies' Armageddon Ork Hunter unit;

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Thanks!

Their Chimera's going to have a shooter counts as heavy stubber, and a bunch of small Ork touches as well - but that's this weekend's project!

SRM posted:

This is so my poo poo, I love these guys. The Ork glyphs on their backs are a great touch, and the use of old metal Catachans is a seriously pro maneuver.

Yeah, the entire army is metal Steel Legion and if a unit has an old-er school metal equivalent its used - Storm Troopers, Ogryns etc :10bux:

Fyrbrand posted:

These are super pro and with a little snow on the bases would look even more legit. :xd:

Going for Ash Wastes / Hive City limits - so a bit hot for snow, me thinks.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Genghis Cohen posted:

I put a load of metal and plastic Eldar in to soak in brown dettol. How long do I have to leave it for before I go nuts with an old toothbrush?

Just going to add how terrific these are. Is this part of a larger army?

Sure are. I'm madly painting for the Independent Characters Hobby Progress Challenge - so far this is the completed stuff *minus the Ork Hunters

and then some close ups

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Frobbe posted:

Those are rad. Might i interest you in the old steel legion commissar? He is sadly missing his gun arm, but you seem no stranger to converting stuff up

I'm just waiting to see if an offer for one goes through or not, I'll PM you if it falls through, and thank you.

Ilor posted:

Yeast, do you want more old metal Steel Legion guys? Are you in the US?

Unfortunately not, I'm in the land of death and high prices. :australia:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Wrapped up two more Chimeras, and an Enginseer.

One of the Chimeras is for a unit of Armageddon Ork Hunters, so has a counts-as Heavy Stubber

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I use brushes from Secret Weapon Miniatures, and either GW spray primer, or Testors Medium Grey spray undercoat. Both work well.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JoshTheStampede posted:

Mini photo nerds, I just got a Nikon D200 body from a friend and want to use it for minis. What's a good lens to buy that isn't too expensive and good for that?

nikon's 35mm 1.8 is great, and you can crop in for smaller work, or go the extreme and pickup a Macro lens, to get the fine details.

Star Man posted:

It's a rite of passage to buy the overpriced GW can once.

I'm happy with the results, and it's part of the workflow for my tanks \_(ツ)_/¯

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
yeah, I might move to airbrush varnish.

I've only had Dullcote gently caress up once and frost the side of a Chimera, but it was pretty heartbreaking.

I've only heard good things about brush on.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yeah, all metal army.

And I also use it to seal pigments if I don't want the pigment fixer effect. Otherwise it'll literally rub off on contact.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Cross Post from the 40k thread.

What I've been working on for the last 3 months.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Super ill over the last couple of days, but managed to get another HQ done.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
using a medium may help you.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

SRM posted:

Even just using a slightly damp brush will help you. You can use a palette but I paint straight out of the pot and get good results with Citadel paints. Star Man, what kind of brushes are you using, and what exactly is the step by step of your technique? Your paints look like they're blistering off the models, and there's little hairs -everywhere- on the minis.

The hairs look like they could also be a result of over-priming. Where the propellent and the paint start to build up and expand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Fyrbrand posted:

Yeah don't use a black wash for painting white.

this a thousand times.

I use the technique Kris from miniwargaming does;

1. Prime White
2. Airbrush on Ulthuan Grey
3. Mix Drakenhof Nightshade, Agrax Earthshade and Lahmain Medium (1 Part Drak, 2 Parts Agrax, 1 parts Medium), also add some liquitex flow-aid to aid the viscosity.
4. Light dry brush whitescar
5. Highlight White Scar using edge highlighting, mix with Lahmain medium