Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Eej posted:

Stopped by the art store today and they had some Winson and Newton Series 7 available (yay!) and they had a size 0 for 30% off Clearance (yay!) because it was a display model (oh)

Gave it a dip in water and some brush cleaner

It started separating when it dried so I just gave it another clean hopefully I can recondition it back to good health

Rinsed out the Masters Cleaner and gave it a twirl and it seems to mostly keep its point. Couple of stray hairs that don't snap into place so I think I'll just try conditioning it again for another day to see if I can convince them to hold shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Phi230 posted:

So I want to paint some Black Templars but I've never painted pure black before.

I dont like edge highlighting with just grey, it looks flat;

I dont like highlighting with blue as it ends up just looking blue, not black.

My only other idea is to either start black and layer up with black greys or underpaint with grey and glaze black over.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Here's a tryhard method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyXzfVO2Kdw

It uses a blue tinged chromatic black for highlights and a magenta tinged chromatic black for shadows.

Eej fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 15, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

LifeLynx posted:

Anyone have good examples of blue - purple - pink gradients? I've been trying to do it with drybrushing, but it's not looking how I want.

Has anyone had any trouble with Scale 75's customer service? I was missing a paint in my order and they're denying it. It took them two of my emails to respond, and the second one they said they'd already responded to the first and - oh yeah - I must have thrown out the missing paint. They didn't send the email, and I didn't throw anything out. Now I've got four other paints I just won't use because I'm not giving them money for more when I run out.

Something like this? (Not mine)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ishvara posted:

What is some of the best advice you all have for caring for brushes? I’ve just been using cheap 3-8 dollar brushes from michaels but they seem to go bad after only a couple hours each. I’m brand new and just got the Infiniti’s box I’m not going to lie I’m a little in over my head.

Don't dip your brush dry into paint
Don't let paint get into the ferrule (metal part that holds the base of the brush hairs)
Don't let paint dry on the brush
Don't use hot water to clean your brush
Don't store your brushes with the hairs pointing down unless you're using a plastic sleeve to prevent it from smushing hairs
Don't let your brushes dry with the hairs standing up because water can drain down into the ferrule

If you want to give your brushes a longer life (and also your future nicer brushes) grab some Master's Brush Cleaner which is usually carried by Michaels and any art store. It's a soap + conditioner so what you do is rinse off your brush, then drag it in the container until it works up a lather, rinse off and lather up again until you don't see any paint come out, rinse off once more, dry it a little bit so it doesn't lather up then drag into the container, shape it to a point and put it away.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
xposting from 40k thread

Eej posted:

Did a Skorpekh Destroyer as a colour test for my Necrons and I'm pretty happy with it. I think I can go wilder on my other ones now that I have a visualization of where I want colours to go and I'll probably mask the sword handles and go really wild spraying the power swords next time.

Yes, I'm mad I missed the mold lines before priming.

Really liked having orange ink on hand to bring back colour when I was messing around with trying to create colour gradients on the power swords. Maybe I'll grab some yellow ink and just do the swords entirely with those two colours for my next few models. I'm not sure the safety of cadmium yellow though? I assume it'll be fine if I'm already wearing my respirator and I do my airbrushing outside due to lack of space indoors.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I ordered a pair of Raphael 8404s, size 1 and size 00, from Jacksons Art back in July 27 via cheap snailmail, no tracking shipping and got them today, September 30. But hey, they were like half regular price so I guess if you're not in a rush it's a pretty good deal despite the covid shipping delay...

LifeLynx posted:

I'm about to look up a basic airbrush kit tomorrow. Hopefully they're not too expensive? I don't know the first thing about them, but there's a Miniac video about just that.

You probably want something like

Badger 105 - $75 USD on sale
generic AS186 - $100 USD or so
then a hose and a badger adapter which is like another $30

And those are good enough for entry and intermediate level usage. The compressor you'll probably never ditch and a hose is a hose so the only thing you might conceivably upgrade is the airbrush.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
One thing to note about Badger Stynylrez primer is that it turns irreversibly chunky in cold temperatures so you literally can't buy it during the winter if it gets cold where you live.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's a post processed image to boost contrast but you can probably get something close to that in real life if you slam some naphthol red ink through an airbrush after you've done your tones

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Silly Putty works as a mask too if you're careful not to overspray past the putty (I always spray past the putty)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Seems fine to me, you can go a little harder with the highlights and shadows if you want. It won't show up under your basecoat unless your are using thin glazes or inks anyway.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Spanish Manlove posted:

Just wondering, what Vallejo metal color is roughly equivalent to GW's leadbelcher?

The closest should be Vallejo Model Air Gunmetal actually

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I tried to do a Non-Metallic Metal doing wet blending for the first time and I guess I picked my palette wrong because it looks like wood and not any kind of metal at all. But I really like the way the effect came out...

Now I'm thinking I'm gonna roll with it and have all my Necrons slightly insane and think they're actually Organic and what's more Lifeform than wearing Organic Material on your totally Organic body?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Spiv posted:

Looks more like stone, than wood, to me, but does have an odd appeal to it. I like it.

Well damnit

Now I just see stone now

e: I figured it out, I need to add more defined wood grain

But now I kinda like Necrons having to use locally sourced stone for repair during stasis

Eej fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 11, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Giant Ethicist posted:

Also, for "contrasts on larger models," here's Japanese wunderkind mini painter Senasuke using Contrasts to paint a Gundam of all things (in Japanese, but YouTube's auto-translate subtitles aren't terrible so you can get the basic idea):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExAZKKjF1as
Of particular interest is the technique she's worked out for mitigating pooling, which starts at the 8:35 mark.

This is wild, I love it

e: lady proceeds to freehand panel lines on completely flat surfaces with no guidelines using only a brush

Eej fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 13, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
x-post from the hams thread

Eej posted:

Completed my first (half) unit of Necrons, I'm excited the skeles are back in town

I'm not sure which base looks best so I probably will just randomly do both rocky/sandy and cracked earth textures for variety

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I love that they look like they stepped out of WHFB but HD

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Der Shovel posted:

As a slight counterpoint, I bought a Harder & Steenbeck Evolution a few years ago to replace my generic Iwata clone and it's been extremely awesome. But I would definitely second the recommendation to get a decent compressor. I'm rocking a very base level Clas Ohlson model and it's OK. It's fine. It's fiiiine. It's OK. Well it's not, really. It doesn't have a reserve tank so the air comes straight out of the compressor into the hose, which means it's basically running non-stop while I paint, and it can't hold pressure at the advertised maximum PSI.

One of these days I'll replace it with a better one.

How is it anyway? I only got started on airbrushing a couple months ago with a Badger and there's a dang Harder and Steenbeck Evolution on sale for £136... whatever that is in real money

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Finished painting my murder buckets as a break after doing my Skorpekh Lord

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you have an airbrush you gotta use inks they're so so nice

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Get a basic set of ink colours so you can use any kind of ink to bring back colour saturation on your models after you've highlighted and shaded a ton

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah Liquitex are some of the most popular and available (like every art store should have it so you don't have to worry about the weird state of availability and overcharging of hobby art supplies on amazon right now). I would say you want titanium white, carbon black (I use this a lot for pin washing actually, because I don't wanna get into huffing spirits) and then whatever colours match what your current palette requirements are right now.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Spanish Manlove posted:

Can't you make your own panel liner with ink, medium, and flow improver?

Heck I just use ink, glaze medium and water and it works just fine

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Looks comfier in the palm and more easy for fine rotations though so what's a little butt plug between friends

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you are going to colour exclusively in inks, you should be using white and grey inks to establish tone first and then add value with coloured inks. Inks are very transparent so the zenithal highlighting actually shows through which lets you focus on how light falls on your model first and then add colour afterwards.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dreylad posted:

I managed to snag some vallejo aluminum and was going to just mix in some orange/red to make a copper colour, or is that not a good idea? I'd be just doing it with a regular brush, not an airbrush.

Mixing regular paint into metallic can kill the metallic sheen. That's why Vallejo sells Metallic Medium so you can mix your own metallic colours!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Increase pressure, spray from further away, feather the nozzle more so you spray less at a time, don't focus the spray in one area too long

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
So I thought I'd give zenithal highlighting a go with inks since I haven't really done any priming with them yet and whaddya know it went real smooth.

Of course now I gotta colour it with inks or very patiently apply thin layers of paint if I want to keep all that work but what can ya do

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Yeah the zenithal is a bit heavy which is a combination of the model being sculpted to catch light from the front (I sprayed white from basically only vertical) as well as only using grey mixed with black to bring back some shadows. I could've sprayed straight black but I figured it would be too harsh? There's a bit more contrast on the rear which doesn't catch as much light.

But mostly I was content with having the panels being so white cause I'm gonna paint it like a shiny beetle

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kinda wish I just kept it at the base blue which was a beautiful shade but this is fun too. Inks, love them!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Tamiya stuff is solid, I have the sprue cutters from gunpla building and got the pin vise recently and they're both tools that feel like they'll never break.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Tried to razzle dazzle it up at the end with Liquitex Iridescent Medium but of course what is essentially glitter doesn't show up in still photos

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sab669 posted:

I just saw the most mind-blowing hack on reddit:

This isn't as cool as supergluing a nut to the bottom of your rhino, unscrewing the spring loaded part of the handle and screwing it into the bolt underneath

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah airbrushing is great especially when you're working on stuff with delicate features like feathers.

Also do Sanguinary Guard really have a giant jet engine strapped to their back lol

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Spray further away

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You generally don't airbrush details like pouches.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
My experience doing details with ink is that low pressures don't let it spray properly and I can't ever get it to not splatter if I'm spraying close, as if there's a minimum distance required for drying. This may or may not be due to my Badger 105 shooting out gobs of ink at once though.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mirthless posted:

Ahhh, fuckit, $88 shipped is good enough

I was really just buying the AS-186k when I ordered my OG airbrush anyway so it's not like I ever expected it to be an incredible performer, the $10-30/pack-in airbrush has come a long loving way since the early 2000s though to be sure.

as a brief cspam aside: every new generation of cheap chinese crap scares the hell out of me because it represents an exponential increase in infrastructure over the previous generation before it; while our government bickers over orange man and flails at china over intellectual property rights, we gradually lose the ability to build complicated things, and china is gradually getting to the point where they can outproduce us in every industry at one-fifth to one-tenth the cost. :rip:

This wouldn't be so bad if there was any quality control on what they put out for sale. Trying to buy stuff on Amazon is such a crapshoot. Super cheap quick release adapters! Multiple Amazon reviews saying that some of them screw on properly and others leak air but that's ok, it's $5! My first AS186 had an irreparable leak in one of the bends of the metal valves so I had to return it and buy an identical AS186 from a different listing by the same seller.

I know we touched on the ethics of our hobby the other day but the fact that so many of our supplies don't function as intended but it's ok because it's cheaper than ever is very uncomfortable. Having a bunch of dodgy bits mixed in with the useful ones and having to return very obviously malfunctioning stuff to Amazon (which apparently is 40% likely to just be straight up thrown into the garbage) is so wasteful and frankly lovely to our already dying planet.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ahh I forgot to base the cartouches black so the metallic came out weird. Oh well.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cat Face Joe posted:

You can just paint it on too. It doesn't have to go through an airbrush.

Dont buy stuff from AK. They're weird racists. MIG is the same formula with the holocaust support.

Welp, guess I'll have to check out Vallejo or MIG matte varnish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

SiKboy posted:

Quick Question: If I've put Agrellan Earth (the GW cracking technical paint) on a base, but now its dried realised I didnt put it on thickly enough and the cracks are tiny, can I just slap a thicker layer on top or will that not work for reasons?

No reason if shouldn't work. Might be a little taller than you anticipated (obviously). I would try experimenting with painting your existing layer darker brown or using an agrax wash to make it darker so when your newer, thicker layer starts cracking it'll show an exaggerated darker earth layer underneath.