Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

At one point in time I almost wanted one of those back and forth shakers that I kept seeing being used at the hospital whenever I went in for blood tests.
No loving clue what they're called but figured then it'd be a good way to keep paint stirred. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I might try that, considering I'm going to paint an Alpha Legionnaire later on. Otherwise my go to was to follow an old WHTV guide with Leadbelcher > Stormhost Silver > Coelia Greenshade (subbed in for Gryp-charger Grey) > Akhelian Green.

This one in this case.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhJbvn8GivQ

Still haven't found a good place in my town to pick up some makeup brushes though.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/JhMiniatures/status/1541134105827581953

JH did a comparison last week of them and the new Nuln Oil looks flatter but the new Agrax looks pretty much the same.

Count Thrashula posted:

My favorite shade, lovingly called Marine Juice, is 1/3 nuln, 1/3 agrax, and 1/3 lahmian medium shaken up in a bottle... I hope the new formula doesn't ruin it :(

Oh yeah, I saw that one being mentioned via some RT via Mengel earlier today.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I did the Contrast over Metallic drybrush as suggested earlier in the thread. My biggest weakness is that I'm not good at getting smooth coverage with those paints yet.

And I may have spoiled the effect a bit with edge highlights. But that's for next time I do it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

This dude looks great, and the edge highlights look totally fine

Meant more that they sorta hide what the drybrushing does to the edges in this case. But as I said, it's for next time I paint something like that.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

i keep forgetting the contrast over metallics and I wish I had done that for my purple chaos marine

Sounds like you need to get more Chaos Space Marines.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The best paper I've found so far is the little sheets you use between sandwiches. Whenever I try using the waxier stuff it never really works and is a bit too water resistant and just ends up sliding around in the plastic hardcase I use. Whilst the previous stuff fixes itself after undoing the curling.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Tell me more about your sliced ham palette

It's very squishy and kinda meaty.
Would not advise eating it once you're done painting though.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Menacing Macaws spreading terror in the void.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

For bolters it does help a bit if you go via the side holes first. At least that's how I do it, never been able to score it dead centre yet.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

stackofflapjacks posted:

Seems GW carries the range still, I have only seen physical stock of them at one FLGS recently and it was sparse obviously

They have LOTR minis on rotation these days. With various batches getting swapped after a couple of months.
GW is holding a LOTR preview stream this weekend so that might change though for all I know.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Been dying to make a scene based on an meme edit I did ages ago but I haven't been able to find a good wall/backdrop for it so far.

Otherwise I just use the white background that comes with my small lightbox.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

He certainly a one helluva glow up.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Aranan posted:

Hell yeah. I want our knights to meet up and give each other high fives.

Funny enough I painted up a knight pilot on foot in the similarly looking House Orhlacc colors earlier this year.

Been wanting to do an Armiger, or one of the AT Knights/Titans in the same color scheme at some point.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Aranan posted:

I had no idea there was an imperial knight house in the exact colors I used. Oops!

Oh that's fine, they're just a minor mention in an Adeptus Titanicus book and I only found them because I was digging around for something non-standard to paint the pilot in.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That's :krad:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Meant no disrespect, just off-hand referencing a phrase from a shirt my gf got me:

Now that's one shirt I definitely need.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/Garfytwit/status/1573623439423832065
Funny enough that's a topic that came up today on Warhammer painting twitter. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Squidmar shows up in one of the Buy/Trade/Sell groups for Warhammer I'm a member of on FB. It's always about various trades, and the posts are always accompanied by a photo showing him alongside the stuff he's trading.
Which always strikes me as kinda weird.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think the only painter I still follow, outside of Warhammer TV basic guides, is Duncan. I know I followed Juan Hidalgo for a while but those videos got kinda boring after some point.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

The other day I pulled the old citadel how to paint minis book off my shelf and was surprised, I'd forgotten how much they packed in there.

I occasionally flip through the old blue covered one and the basic talk ahead of all the painting steps is still very good reading about various techniques. I'd love to get my mitts on the others but they never really go for cheap on second hand from what I've seen.
Especially the terrain book.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Such a shame they got rid of their glazes. But I guess that's contrasts nowadays.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Chainclaw posted:

Remember when that idiot was spraying liquid resin through an airbrush with no PPE?

:stare::stonk:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Best tip is to matte varnish the surface you want to slap a transfer on. It helps a lot with giving it a smooth surface to work with. And then you slap some matte varnish over that to protect the transfer from scratches.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

Do you mean gloss varnish for the smooth surface and then matte after?

I usually just do matte varnish for both. Gloss works since the gloss will be muted by the matte varnish overcoat anyway.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

WHTV painters: By using contrast paints we're going to paint models in these classic colour schemes.
Duncan: Hold my beer. This is how you do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiLPKJzx_A4

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Always wanted one of those shakers I see whenever I go to the hospital for blood tests. One of those that keep the blood from coagulating in the test tubes.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Definitely needs some grunge to it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

They meant design wise. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I was looking for that one on the webstore as well but couldn't for the life of me find it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Spikey Bits is full of poo poo.

But what else is new. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

This week I learned that the AK standard density plastic cement does not work for sprue goo because it turns like this after a couple of minutes, even after stirring vigorously.
It worked, as you might see on the right side but definitely a hassle to deal with and I'm glad those joints are going to be covered with greenstuff fur.

Yes I know AK's rep, it was the only plastic glue that isn't Citadel that the LGS had after I discovered my pot of Humbrol had finally given up the ghost.

Now I just need to figure out how to dispose of it safely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

On the topic, AP's wet pallet is inexpensive and comes with everything you need. If someone doesn't want to bother with a homemade one or shelling out a bunch of bucks for an expensive alternative then just get Army Painters.

The LGS in town has the redgrass one and I'm helluva tempted to pick up the smaller one for €39.