Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Time to bring this to gods own scale.

There you go, more miniatures in one post than the rest of the thread so far put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

lilljonas posted:

6mm represents, gonna order a thousand 1812 Frenchmen this month

I'm waiting on my division of WI British Tommies atm. its been nearly two weeks, which is odd for Baccus. He has been to a few shows though.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

enri posted:

Why aren't we having this discussion in the terrain megathread? :psyduck:

I was wondering the same thing....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Cross-posting from the oath thread!

Oath Complete

Okay, this month I almost bit off more than I could chew..... So get ready for several hundred British soldiers! This is an entire BEF 1914 division for Great War Spearhead.

The command staff, Howitzers, Engineers and Cavalry.

Three a batteries of 18pnders

One brigade of infantry, now I could take photos of the other two individually, but that wouldn't really show the scale.

ONE WHOLE DIVISION! (I will admit, there was a point in this where I was singing "Just keep flocking, Just keep flocking" to myself. Phew, Done now, all I need to do at some point is the Germans......

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

A Harbinger class Dropship with three magnetized Ravagers.

Here they are on their own, to aid counting.

The UCM have not been forgotten though, with four new Ravans - two are my black Ravens.

These are the spec op's Pretorians that go in them.

Finally, here we have some Woverines, the guns are interchangable, as after two layers of varnish they have a good fit.

Next month/Oath year, something a little more sane!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Arcturas posted:

That's a great looking division, Grey. The basing seems like a bit of a pain, though. Did you trim the static grass, or just mash it flat? I need to finish basing some 40k epic minis that currently have a brown sandy base that looks a lot like yours, and I think adding some grass would really pep them up.

EDIT: Or is that the 6mm scale static grass?

6mm static grass - Basing can get a little tedious, but it looks good. I got the Baccus basing system, which makes it easy to get everything in scale and done easy - and it works well for the 10mm of Dropzone commander.

w00tmonger posted:

10mm blows my mind. I literally cannot even conceive how someone can paint on such a small level.

looks good

You should try 6mm, like the British....

Really, you just have to realize you are going for a certain level of detail, Hawk's Dropzone stuff is well detailed, but it'll never compare to a 28mm figure. That said, your knocking out a lot more figures, so you go for suggestion rather than actual detail. (That and a good fine brush.)

Seriously, everyone should try 10mm/6mm at some point, its not that hard as long as you have a steady hand, and the feeling of having a massive army is a great one.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Just knocked out some Star Wars Armada fighters, and I'm happy with the results and want to share.

Ties are ties - just hit the fins with some black within the lines.

X-Wings and B-Wings, That red stripe is a paint, but a little goes a long way here. Make sure you wash them to give them that dirty rebel feel.

Now these buggers I'm proud of, look at those Y wings - most of that is a wash.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

krushgroove posted:

KR is a brilliant company, they've been helping out with the Oath Thread for years and Daryl the owner is super enthusiastic and really helpful. Over the past year or so they've had a 10-year anniversary sale and the new 1.5 height and double height boxes, both at 2-for-1 or similar ridiculous deals, and I've really stocked up.

That said, yes, their web site could be more intuitive but if you have their print catalog (comes with every order, I think) it explains the letter codes and things a bit easier and there's pages on the site (in the tabs at top) that explain the tray coding. The owner of KR is an engineer by training so all the codes make sense if you're familiar with how engineers think (maybe).

That website.....

But yeah, I've spoken to him at a show when I picked up my backpack and he seems to be very into it - although he did confess to me he's not a gamer! He just likes to paint his models. - I ordered a Dropzone commander one that was supposed to carry 1 cardboard case - but they were out of them, so I got upgraded to a larger backpack that carries 2 for no extra cost!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I've got a interest in adding some words to my UCM drop-ships for Dropzone commander - but I'm worried my attempts to paint words on will look terrible.

Does anyone do a pack of white letters about 2-3mm in height? That or any other suggestions.

Basically, I want to add some Vietnam era names to my craft to help differentiate them.

The thing in the Center is my Phoenix Gunship (with my commander in it), and its just crying out for "Puff the Magic Dragon" or "Spooky" along the side or on the sensor dish......

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Cross posting from the oath thread!

Grey Hunter posted:

[b]OATH COMPLETE![b]

A whole 15mm company of German Grenadiers!

1st Platoon!

2nd Platoon!

3rd Platoon!

The Evil Overlords - I mean company HQ unit.

Next month is their enemies, the British Paras! (again, a whole company, as I'm a masochist!)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

dr_ether posted:

Thanks.

More WIP
More shades, some highlights, and generally getting it closer to being complete.

Oddly enough, one in ten Hobbits/Dwarves rescued by Giant Eagles fail to reach their destination. The cause of this is still a mistery.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Cross posting seom 6mm goodness from the oath thread!

Grey Hunter posted:

Oath Complete!

And here we go!

There you go, one entire Division of German troops, plus Corps HQ.

Right lads! Lets get this over so we can get home for some Sauerkraut and schnitzel! We need lots of guns to get this offensive going.

We need to back the troops up with local support from mortars.

Then all we need to do is hit them with wave after wave of troops.

Then we can move the drinks cabinet a few feet closer to Paris!

"Hold me Hans, I have a bad feeling about this."

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Bistromatic posted:

This project has been on hold forever but i made a new iteration of my magnetic terrain modules today. The main changes are a different profile at the bottom, which makes them slot onto the risers much nicer and height reduction from 40 to 30mm. Along with the new height i also made a ramp and the few degrees less the new height gives make all the difference and now even fully loaded dropships stand pretty stable.

old riser and small module in the back, new ones in the front

the last time i never got around to posting any cad stuff so here's the part contours for the updated parts https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14617390/Terrain%20-%2030mm%20contours%20only.dxf
everything is designed for 5mm mdf. i could also post a version complete with milling contours but unless someone has a Zünd mill/camod that's not gonna be much use.

i've also looked around a bit and some people use cork to simulate tarmac. my local hardware store has 2mm cork sheet pretty cheap according to their website and i'll give it a look next week.

Looking good - I'd love to do some multi-level stuff for drop-zone, but its beyond my skill/tech level.

ON another point - There was a conversation on mixing Vallejo paints - I seem to remember that beads were mentioned, but I can't remember if Glass or Hematite were considered the best - some of my paints have separated somewhat, and I want to take affirmative action to get them all properly mixed up. My Prussian blue is more like slightly blue black.

What should I do, oh painting gods?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Crossposting from the terrain thread: Haven't seen this site before: http://www.lotrscenerybuilder.org/ it's wargaming & Lord of the Rings fans who made loads of the scenery from the LoTR trilogy at a wargaming scale. Very very nice stuff!

Imagine turning up to that club with unpainted minis........

nesbit37 posted:

omg I am totally stealing this stuff and making it in 6mm scale. I am picking up a bunch of acrylic to run through our new laser cutter for some blood bowl display trays and then want to use it for doing stuff like this coupled with more traditional techniques and the vacuform machine I have. Thanks for posting it.

I made a couple of rubbish hills at the weekend and felt proud of myself. This makes me want to give up and go home.

Then I look at some peoples tables and think, well, mines not THAT bad at least.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Quick paint question - I've got a Skyraider I want to paint for FoW Vietnam, but the painting guide mentions using a colour called "Whitewash" - which I can't see anywhere. Anyone know of a good match for this?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I spent the weekend working on my AT-ST.

Any comments or suggestions?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Is this the one from ImpAss, or from Legion? Either way, it's looking really grimy and well-weathered. Nice job!

Legion. It's the largest thing I've ever printed.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

omfg you guys these things are so loving small how is this hobby a thing that people do. Some of the details on here are crazy tiny, I'm getting anxious just putting one of these fuckers together! Am I wrong for wanting to paint the arms separately before putting them on? It seems like it would be way harder to get at some parts if this dude was full assembled.

Your looking at games workshops huge 28mm scale. Small is when you've painted a couple of hundred 6mm guys.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

spectralent posted:

I find smaller scales are usually easier to paint because there's less detail to highlight.

Oh yeah, but for a new painter they can be daunting. Nothing beats massed formations though!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Cross posting from the oath thread.

Grey Hunter posted:

Oath Complete

I pushed myself this month, a good number of models, weathering, custom transfers (and weathering of them), Object light sourcing as well.

The Big beasty.

The Rebel's reply.

Babbies first OSL.

Some support.

The Troops. Stormtroopers are HARD. Hard to paint and hard to photo.

The barricades. zzzz

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'm repainting my Scourge army, and hashing out a more organic look, but I'm a bit stumped as to what colour to do the eyes.

Any ideas?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Gesso is great for covering the lines.
Coat, sand down, coat and sand.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I finished off a Red Rocket for Fallout Wastland warfare. Even at 90% it's 70 cm long!

I have also made some custom bases for my Ratkin for kings of war.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I just finished up some Ratkin for kings of war and I'm dead proud of them on their custom bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I finished up my 6 hordes of Stormdrain Vermin! (shocktroops) for kings of war - I like batch painting, so did these 80 guys in 2 batches of 40, starting just after xmas. The bases I modeled in blender and printed on my Ender 3.