Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
reserved (I'm lazy and like being able to ? my own posts to find things and having a post on the first page is really useful for that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

krushgroove posted:

I'm curious why most people seem to think that you must thin acrylics with distilled water?

Because tap water is variable. Heavy mineral deposits or sulphur in the water could mess with your paints. I've never been worried and so just use tap water, but I can see why some people might care.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

Ok goons I done hosed up and I don't know how I did it or how to fix it. I bought a can of Armory black primer spray and tried to primer a bunch of plastic historical minis. Instead of going on smooth the figs look like they are coated in a black plastic dust that just flakes off at the slightest touch revealing the plastic beneath. The minis feel like they are coated in felt rather than primered. What did I do wrong and how do I get the bad primer job off?

Don't know what went wrong exactly, but Super Clean Engine degreaser is your friend. Wear gloves when using it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Lord Humongus posted:

Could I get some critique please? Worked hard on them but I want to improve!

Looks pretty good; anything you don't feel confident about? I'd say they look fine.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

Will Super Clean Engine de-greaser mess up the plastic underneath the primer? These models are really nice and detailed and I'd hate to see any of that melt away or get ruined. :(

Nope Super Clean won't hurt plastic or resin. It will make super glue crumble though.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Dremcon posted:

CA glue or white glue for gluing flock to bases? If white, should it be watered down?

I used watered down Elmer's for the sand and rocks on the base, and then another layer of thinned Elmer's to seal it but I want to add some flock to that.

White glue. I don't thin but many do. I'm phone posting or I'd link it, but look for the terrain tutor on YouTube, he just did a review of best flocking methods.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

TarDolphinorShark posted:

I hope you post here. To the goon who painted those awesome 6mm vikings for Saga, can you post the images here? I have a friend who may be interested in starting up Saga in 6mm with me, I just want to show him how awesome they look even in 6mm.

I'll do it this weekend. Once I finish my March and April Oaths I will be finished all my based minis and be able to play an incredibly flexible game of 6mm Saga :black101:

(I wanted to brag a little).

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I hope you post here. To the goon who painted those awesome 6mm vikings for Saga, can you post the images here? I have a friend who may be interested in starting up Saga in 6mm with me, I just want to show him how awesome they look even in 6mm.

My good camera died its final death and so you get lovely tablet photos, sorry.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

If I over primed my hams, can I dump them in a bucket of simple green and get the spray paint primer off? How should I dilute the simple green? Will I simply dissolve my hams?

What if I'm gay?

Simple green will remove primer, will not damage hams, you are and have always been super gay.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

lilljonas posted:

Pro pics anyway. What diameter do you use for bases? 1cm? Half inch?

Have some better ones courtesy of the wife's camera

For the bases I used washers. The foot troops are on washers with a 3/8 inch outside diameter and the mounted troops are on washers with a 5/8 inch outside diameter.

E: The bolded underlining is there because washers are typically labelled with the diameter of the hole, not the diameter of the outside edge of the washer.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 22, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Super Waffle posted:

Does anyone have experience or a tutorial for recasting parts in clear resin?

What did you want to know?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Also the white that you use should be an off white, like a linen or bone white, pure white usually looks too intense.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

These a great, thanks. I already have a ton of scenery from my 6mm KoW stuff and I liked the looks of the microworld games vikings so I figured saga would be a fun game to get into. Where did you get your measuring tool made?

I made it at my local fablab. Check your PMs.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Super Waffle posted:

RE: Casting chat:

Today I'm going to attempt a crazy method for making cheap molds. Gonna use pure caulking silicone and thin it with either xylene or mineral spirits and use my moms Foodsaver to degass (don't think it'll work but worth a shot). I still need some casting resin but one thing at a time. I'll you guys know how it turns out

EDIT - Wait mineral spirits melts plastic, doesn't it? Crap nevermind

This might help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOYotmflDzE

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Sauer posted:

I used to paint minis years ago and have been mostly doing scale models for the past couple years. I've had the urge recently to work on minis again especially since my tool and skill set has greatly expanded since the last time I did a minis. Looking at the prices of GW's stuff just about made me poo poo my pants though. For the price of a single "command unit" army man I could pick up an imported 1/35 scale Tamiya tank that would take weeks to work on. Is GW making their kits and minis out of polymerized cocaine? Is there a source of good quality fantasy style miniatures that I could work on that won't completely bust the bank for a few ounces of polystyrene? I'm pretty out of the loop when it comes to mini manufacturers these days.

Reaper Bones are cheap but the material is weird, Reaper metals are still cheap and don't have the issues of the Bones minis. Mantic has some good stuff but I don't know how available it is or in what numbers or if they are in a wide enough variety for your needs. There are loads more as a bunch of companies have just showed up due to kickstarter but other goons will need to point those out for you.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I've had no issue with the Bones miniatures, I dunno what you mean by weird? Just seems normal to me after I prime them.

It is rubbery and can be real pain in the rear end with floppy weaponry. No biggie, but that and the no spray primer thing is weird compared to hard plastic or metal minis.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Sauer posted:

Is it polystyrene or something else they've developed?

Bonesium. If you look at the reaper forums you can learn the dos and don'ts about working with it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Aristocrat posted:

Has anyone had any luck stripping X-Wing minis?

Simple Green and oven cleaner have both failed to have even the slightest effect for me.

It is unnecessary. Just prime over the factory paint job. They are notoriously difficult to strip and the results are underwhelming when it does work.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I get that he just sawed that dude, but wouldn't that saw be more for cutting into tanks rather than bisecting foot troops?

It's OK, but I wouldn't have bloodied the blade personally.

Otherwise it looks ace. The weathering works really well.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

I'm looking to create some banner poles for 28mm. What should I use? The cheaper the better.

http://www.partycity.com/product/8in+bamboo+skewers+100ct.do

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

Exactly what I'm looking for, thanks compadre.

No problem. They often can also be found at most dollar stores.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Those are probably way too fat. Brass rod is best. 1mm is about right for a small banner, 2mm for a larger one.

Alternatively, buy a bulk pack of paperclips, use that.

They are almost the exact same size as banner poles for a bunch of GW armies (maybe not elves). Paperclips are too thin and flimsy for most modeling applications.

Buy a pack, if they don't work out make shish kebab. :shrug:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Dremcon posted:

I found some trays at Michaels that are meant to hold markers upright but can hold Vallejo/Reaper paints if they're upside-down. Will I have any problems if I store these upside-down?

link please, if possible?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

signalnoise posted:

How do I do 10mm scale bases, or does anyone know where I can get 10mm scale bases at 28mm scale base prices?

Where are you located?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Atlanta, GA, USA

No fablab for you, sorry.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Alright suggestion time. I'm going to paint up my Dropzone Commander PHR like Skynet Terminators and my Resistance like they're from the Resistance from the new Terminator movies. I'm thinking for the PHR I do chrome with dark inking in recesses and red lights, maybe using a wash made from P3 Coal Black. Any suggestions on how to make a convincing chrome paintjob?

http://www.amazon.com/PlastiKote-615-Chrome-Bumper-Paint/dp/B000CPI0QO

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Oh poo poo yes

Full disclosure, I have never used it or any chrome paint so be sure to do your research before you buy.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Moola posted:

This is a long shot, but does anyone know of any 28mm scale Hula Girl models? Or something that would be suitable for making one?

Reall I just need the legs and grass skirt, for a secret project DO NOT ASK WHAT THE PROJECT IS!!!

Volcano Queen Breadfruit Edition Now Available
This version of the Volcano Queen wears the sacred breadfruit leaf and is available only to customers who purchase a $10 tree from the Breadfruit Institute, to be planted somewhere in the world where food security and de-forestation is an issue.
Please message me if you want to add her to your order. She comes both as shown or in slightly more modest garb. Both versions will be included for a $15 donation.

https://pulpfigures.com/products/view/189

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Moola posted:

Quite good!

Armature also looks quite good cheers

More options

https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/female%20human/latest/03559

https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/female%20human/latest/14512

Sorry about the covered boobs.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

KFJ posted:

Alright, I'll try to find some Castrol Super Clean - Might not find it, though - I'm in Iceland and we don't have the best availability of stuff like that. I'll check the Castrol dealer here, see if I can't find some of it.

The break is pretty rough. It's snapped in two in the middle of the barrel. It's snapped in two pretty roughly, so the pieces don't line up 100%.

EDIT: Also, does it have to be the Castrol stuff? Meguiar's has a product called Super Degreaser, although I don't think that's bio degradable, which might be a pain.

The engine degreaser isn't a Castrol product any more just Super Clean Engine Degreaser. Walmart also has a store brand called Purple Power that seems OK.

I know that may not help you, but if its biodegradable and is purple in color, you are probably fine.

E: or just buy your locally available stuff and do a test run like BlackIronHeart suggested.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

ijyt posted:

Thought I'd convert up a spare old beat-up rhino I had into a looted one, it was either that or terrain.

Ork conversions are fun. WIP, of course.

proppa, but it needs a big zoggin gun on the top.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

JerryLee posted:

1) Does anyone have any advice for getting separated VMA paints (Gold and Bright Brass, if it matters) to mix back up? When I say separated, I mean the pigment appears to have congealed into a glob in the bottle, like what you'd expect from a mostly dried out paint except there's still plenty of liquid medium in the bottle. When I poke a rod in there, it feels like chewing gum. Adding an agitator bead and shaking the poo poo out of them doesn't seem to have helped.

It looks ghetto as gently caress, but it works.

Or make one that uses a drill like Lumbering Troll did. (I can't find the post).

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Thanks for the reminder. :)

Today's mini-conversion, Herald of Nurgle on a "palanquin."

Gotta get the most out of each kit. Probably going to use the spare Maggoth parts for when I finally get a Soulgrinder.

He looks so happy on his nurgle mouth maggot steed.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 10, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

HardCoil posted:

I was looking for that drill bit adaptor too, as it seems to be a good way to mix paint in dropper jars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0aaFxDc-IY

I ended up making this, which will cost me about €15 to print, but compared to the time I'll have to spend to build one from hardware store goods I think it's OK:

The idea is to put a rubber band around the grabby parts on the top. I'll order it this week and let you know if I end up with paint all over the living room.

Lumbering Trolls solution used an old film canister, a bolt and some tissue for padding.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

LumberingTroll posted:

I can take pictures of it tomorrow if you like.

I wouldn't say no.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

PyroDwarf posted:

Whelp. Simple green it is. Would using thinner medium instead of water help?

Yes. But even then don't over do it. Or just buy glazes.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

I like them. I was thinking of doing a Mordheim gang of Pirate Orcs myself.

Porcs

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I received a nice looking metal Dreadlord on Cold One from Ebay. It is primed white but the actual Cold One has what looks like one thin layer of green already painted on. I plan on doing the Cold One in red, would I be OK to just paint red over it or should I re-prime those areas? Or even just dunk and re-prime the whole thing (I'd rather not if I can avoid it).

If the paint isn't lumpy you should be fine just to paint over it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Moola posted:

motherfucker!!!

Not giving GW money doesn't need to extend to not giving anyone money ever. Just buy a few bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

You are playing into Big Tape's hands with your DIY bases, you fool.