Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Aw yiss, is that mr anus I can spot half way down there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Always liked the power weapons on them

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Cheers dude, much appreciated :)

The blade wasn't hugely complicated, and you could make it as easy or hard as you want depending on the level of blending.

50/50 basecoat leadbelcher/abaddon black. Thin your paints!

Blend up to pure leadbelcher on the blade bit with a really properly watered down leadbelcher. So you can bearly see the layer but it dries within seconds. It builds up quickly though. Sounds like hard work, but we're talking maybe 4 layers and 45 seconds work? The top flat curved surface done the same, nothing else touched

Do the same with pure chainmail, only on the edge of the blade, again this was only 2/3 layers maybe?

At this point i did the edge highlighting in pure chainmail, almost all side of brush stuff. The only hard bit was the line along the side of the blade as that's just hold your breath steady hand stuff

Now the fun bit - made 2 glazes of beastial brown and liche purple using lahmian medium (love that stuff). Put it on in patches all over, purple first and not being afraid to overlap. The colour will be dulled but the blending should show through. You're not washing here, so don't go mad, you want it sitting on the flat surfaces.

Finally blop some Nihilakh Oxide on a few bits and bobs

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You can wash coal black with nuln oil too for a quick job, great stuff

Probably the only paint outside the GW range I use regularly

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

w00tmonger posted:

primed it with black/grey/white valejo primer with an airbrush.

model is white-metal and plastic (privateer press)

Isn't Vallejo the range that has a colour called grey primer that isn't a primer?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Unless you want everything in your life to smell of dettol for a long time, really don't use it

Not sure what the current recommended thing is, but it isn't dettol

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

They're really useful too

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Not usually a fan of stuff like this, but that's a real nice paint job

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Does anyone have any tips for developing a steadier hand? I've recently started back painting but having a shaky brush is making me do way too many touch ups.
I rest my wrists on each other, so any shakes kinda cancel each other out

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That's some really nice basing

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I have an incredibly masculine setup as befits this noble hobby

I struggle to paint under a lamp, so it's always a window for me

e: the tea in that pot is an oolong called IRON GODDESS OF MERCY :black101:

and it has a light apricot flavour

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 15, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah it totally is, though I would describe the view of Cardiff as interesting rather than nice

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Looks delicious again, good job chef

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yum!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Almost there

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Moola posted:

that red leather is deliciously red

cheers chef!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

serious gaylord posted:

Although that sword looks familiar.....

:respek:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Roboute Guilliman Incoming

Proper pleased with how he turned out, and it was a lot more enjoyable to paint than I originally thought it was going to be

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Cheers guys :)

They're not even straight on the studio shots, I gave up very quickly

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Bachtere posted:

That's great all around. Love the metallics though, especially the sword.
Cheers dude. Silver was done in the same way I did typhus's scythe, just going up to mithril and using purple and turquoise for the glazes. The gold was the 'eavy metal studio recipe for the Sigmarines

The Sisko posted:

That is goddamn amazing. May I ask how you did the marble because it looks so perfect?

Thanks!

As far as the marble went, I read every guide I could find, didn't really like any of them, so combined a few ideas and mostly winged it.

From what i can remember:

Over a black undercoat, thin and streaky basecoat in patches of Dheneb Stone, Screaming Skull and Kislev Flesh

Watered down some nuln oil with lahmian medium. Blopped it onto the surface, not as a wash, but so it was sitting as a proper pudddle a cm or so across. A large brushes worth, in points all over the surface. Left it for 5 mins or so, then sucked out the liquid from the centre with a dry brush so all that was left was the tide marks from the edges (the thing you'd normally try to avoid when washing!). I then did the same with Hormaguant purple, in the spaces in between the black. So that left lots of black/purple patches with thicker lines all joined together all over the surface

Sponged all over Tallarn Sand, up to the point only really the strongest of the dark lines could be seen.

Went back over some of the lines with charondon granite, following the existing lines, but really not doing too many.

Sponge with Dheneb Stone, Sponged with Screaming Skull (because they were still on my palette from the first bit)

Sponge with Dheneb Stone + White Scar, and then again with more White Scar mixed in.

Recess shade with thinned Abaddon Black / Rhinox Hide

At this point it looked kinda chalky, so I gave a couple of decent coats of Microsol Micro flat, which is a very slightly glossy varnish. Airbrushed, but it could be brushed on too.

Edge highlight with skull white, just drybrushed on to the edges

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 24, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Thank you again :)

serious gaylord posted:

:respek:

I just got some solar power turn tables for my cabinet. Going to turn the living room into my own version of WHW.

Yeah Rob tipped my cabinet into way too full stage, will have to add another glass shelf into my Kallax

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

So many houses round here have little black bits of slate in their front gardens that are perfect for bases

I go robbing on the way back from work late at night now and again

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Pics when it all done

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

crime fighting hog posted:

Eh gently caress it I'm done

Rad

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Tamiya tape is amazing stuff, stick it to yourself once before the model though, it needs a little stickiness taken away from it I find

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Cooked Auto posted:

So this is what you mean with Brown Dettol I assume?

That's the stuff, and it does work, but your whole life will smell of dettol for days, weeks even

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I had high hopes for Ceramite White when it was released, and it was great to begin with but my pot went to poo poo in no time either

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

thespaceinvader posted:

Ceramite white sucks balls. I've lost two or possibly 3 pots of it in the last 6 months. I really want to look at investing in a full set of non-GW paints.

For what it's worth its the only one I've had issues with over the last few years

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I enjoyed that post a lot

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That is a good post

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The thinner is for an airbrush, it doesn't really work well as a medium though

The matt medium is the posh water replacement you want

^it will thin your paints, its what I use cos I'm posh

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've been thinning my paints (the third definition of it above, although 2 and 3 are really the same thing) with Vallejo matt medium for a while now. It thins it out without the pigment separating out like water can. Maybe 80% of my painting is done with it

If I want to do some 'proper' wet blending I'll use glaze medium instead

If I'm making a wash or glaze, I use Lahmian medium

I've found the vellejo thinner doesn't work so well as it separates out on your pallet (i.e, not a good medium). Through an airbrush though its perfect

I apparently get good results from this, so if I'm doing it all wrong, then I dunno

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 14, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Aw yiss

Awesome work as usual

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

krushgroove posted:

Are those Babylon 5 minis?

I finally finished this sucka:

Lots more pictures:
Facebook album https://www.facebook.com/TinyPlasticSpacemen/posts/993174327400965
Imgur album https://imgur.com/a/pl4qk

Really really nice, great job

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

:hellyeah:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

So many tutorials lost when they updated the paint range though, I'd love for an archive of them to appear

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

SRM posted:

While it sucks that the old tutorials on GW's site are gone, there's honestly enough free stuff and enough tutorials out there that you can find a good number of alternatives. If you want to learn how to paint Imperial Fists, you can find a dozen different methods from blogs, forums, and videos from just a cursory Googling.

There was a nice consistency to them though, so you could grab little bits from each to work on different stuff. It all fitted together like painting lego

A huge amount of my stuff was based off all those guides, and though I may not need them now it was such a great reference

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

big_g posted:

Sorry to be spamming the thread with this but it'll be the last you see of it now. I took some shots in daylight today which show the colours a bit better I think.

Good stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Looks pretty good for a first attempt to me

Its one of those things that'll get better with practice

If you've got an actual sharp edge on the model, using the side of the brush instead of the point makes it a load easier too