Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Long shot question, but here goes:

Anybody experiment with adding oil paint into acrylic water effects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

punishedkissinger posted:

i have used oils to tint water. gave it a little burnt umber. you dont need very much.

ive been tossing the idea of building up reflections with them but idk if it's feasible.

hey thanks, I'm going to give it a try this weekend

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Bucnasti posted:

Secret Weapon Miniatures is going out of business.

https://www.facebook.com/SecretWeaponMiniatures/photos/10159872133789668

They blame covid and brexit, but they're a California based company? I'm not sure how brexit comes into it.

They're going to have a GOB sale starting next week.

Thanks for the heads up. I use their bases for two armies so its time I buy everything I can find :(

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'll be honest. I dunno why white inks became popular instead of white primer or paint. I've had so many issues with white Liquitex. Reminds me of back when people itt primed with gesso.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I'm absolutely shocked that I managed to come up with a Steel Legion yellow color that doesn't look (too much) like baby poop.

Okay it still kinda does. But I'm happy with it.

this looks great!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
WIP daemon brutes of malal

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've use nickles or quarters in the past, but some of the new textured bases (like the GM necro/ZM ones) don't leave enough room. I've switched to lead shot and PVA glue for those

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Nice work! I particularly like your color palette

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Floppychop posted:

I finished up one of the new guardsmen as a sort of test-mini. I tried to use mostly Contrast paints or 'cheating' techniques to be able to paint them quickly.

It's not as good as other minis posted in this thread but I feel like it's probably good enough for the effort. The base ended up lighter than I'd like, but that's an easy fix.

Nice wood grain!

Hell yah I love this

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've now field tested 3 brush cleaners. W&N and Masters are the winners for me, esp when used together. Vallejo isn't nearly as good.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
WIP

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

KingMob posted:

The lack of MCP models has forced me to paint something different: monks of Temple Ro-Kan for Bushido.

drat, these own! rockin that DBZ color palette too

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
USA Airbrush Supply is having their annual labor day sale

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Dienes posted:

Finally pulled the trigger and got an airbrush. Played around with it today and it seems to go through paint quickly - is that normal?

Yep, it certainly can. The higher your PSI, the larger your needle, and the more you pull back on the trigger the more paint you'll use. Reduce these and you use less paint.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
30k thread xpost

BULBASAUR posted:

Finally painted this bad boi

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Verisimilidude posted:

X-post from 40k thread

+1, I love those 3d prints and that paint job does it just right

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Parkingtigers posted:

Disturbingly, deliciously gooey. How did you get that gore effect?

Ugleb posted:

Well that claw is deeply troubling. :aaaaa:

Good job!

Thanks guys. I pushed myself on this one- particularly happy with how the OSL and gore turned out.

Gore I've found to be pretty easy. The key I feel is texture and different shades of 'blood'. I use the GW blood technical paint and combine it first with black, another time with brown, and another time with magenta. Each time I do this I apply it with a sponge onto the gore areas, building up the effect. Once it looks good, I use the technical paint straight from the bottle. This gives it the depth it has. After that I flick on some paint with a brush for spatter and apply some uhu glue. I then paint the glue using those colors I mentioned before.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

thank you all for the terrific advice. going to try and edge in those crosses today and really clean them up.

on another note, finding female figures that arent cringe has been pretty difficult. any manufacturers who are particularly good about not making every female mini overly sexualized?

You might also consider oils, since the long drying time would let you blend and clean the shapes better than acrylics. Not interacting with your base acrylic layers also means you can run a dry brush along the sides to clean/feather/sharpen shapes without worry

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Fantasy type. I have an order in for the Frostrgrave female mooks which i'm looking forward too. I honestly haven't had great luck looking through Reaper for this, but I have been trying to stick to Bones Black and Bones USA so maybe I'm missing some decent metals.

This sounds good. Would be a good excuse to break out the oil set I haven't used yet either way.

Should I be concerned about having thinner on my nice brushes? I really baby my kolinskys (vigorous application of brush soap after each use).

Late reply to this, but your nice brushes are A-OK to be exposed to oil and mineral spirit.

Acrylics are actually much harsher on your brushes than oils, this is mostly because of their crazy fast drying time. Just clean them with spirit and let them dry like you were using water.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

kzin602 posted:

Does anybody know if oils thinned with white spirit will eat airbrush primer or should I put a varnish down first?

If your primer is enamel based then they can eat through it, provided the primer isn't cured. Or you are super abrasive and soak your model in spirit afterwards.

You'll be fine

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yup. Gloss will lower the surface tension and allow your wash to better go into cracks. This is especially true if you put some gloss into your wash, so you have gloss on gloss. You can use this trick to avoid pooling on large flat surfaces when using acrylic washes.

Matte varnish gives your wash more 'teeth' to hold onto a surface by increasing surface area for bonding. This makes it more difficult to remove and less easy to achieve a clean look... but this can be desirable for weathering effects.

Clearcoats can change paint behavior pretty noticeably, but are often ignored because they are an extra step. Here's an example of this in action:

Each of the four corners was sealed with a different clearcoat before I applied chipping fluids and then scratched things up. Pretty dramatic difference in the end result.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Chip McFuck posted:

Baby's first bases. Going for a desert scheme for my Kabalite Warriors. The crackle medium didn't really pan out, but I think I got a pretty good dusty effect anyway. Still have to add a couple spots of sand and dried grass, but I'm liking the way they're turning out so far!

These are excellent. Nice work!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Verisimilidude posted:

It's a slow work day today so I had time to finish the last of my basic infantry for Infinity.

I'm painting mostly with transparent paints, with a few opaque paints thrown in for highlights.

edit: new, better photo added.

These are all really great

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I pin all my models to their bases, so I use the paperclips I use for pinning to hold them:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
IDK how the thought of filing or gap filling a painted model doesn't instantly trigger sprue painters

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 18, 2021

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mikey Purp posted:

One caveat to the airbrushing ink thing is that if it's specifically daler rowney FW white that is causing you trouble, just toss it in the trash. That stuff is just defective.

Bucnasti posted:

Echo that.

Haha, and here I thought I was insane while everyone was raving.

My DR white has been pretty poo poo. I got a vortex mixer and it made it usable, but it was an absolute pain before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Skails posted:

My hobby output for the month- painted up a Be’lakor.

Fantastic!