Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Cthulu Carl posted:

Have you given Tonks a try yet? It seems like a fun, quick game.

No, but I'm planning on playing it with my kids. Looks like a nice basic gateway game

Count Thrashula posted:

I need to know everything about how that was made

So I found "bill making stuff" on YouTube who does a lot of scratch building, tons of tips etc.

Started with a shampoo pump and some wood blocks for a frame. chopped it up and combined a bunch of Eva foam, beads, wire, and a few 3d printed parts.

Then I hit it with orange/brown speedpaint, chipping medium, then a couple shades of green to highlight. Activated the chipping medium with water and a sponge, then did a bit of detailing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Got a big set donated for a local makerspace and I'm a big fan. No reactivation issue which is a big positive vs the 1st ones.

Reactivation has its uses but pushes it away from the generalist territory I initially hoped to use them for

I do think I probably like Vallejos stuff more. Citadel is nice for color range, but I only have a couple as they're pretty pricey and 90% of the colors can be found elsewhere

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Did Big Mr. Grumpy

Base owns. Howd you pull it off?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

I have a big dragon I primed white and have been slowly shading with blues/pinks.

Any recommendations for a wash I can use to pop into all the little wing creases etc without ruininh the cool white I've got going? I was thinking of a light blue/grey oil wash but I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing here...

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Speedpaints also really good on metallics, at least v1 were.

They're pretty glossy, so I take a nice metallic like Vallejo metallic air silver, and can get a nice shaded gold or other crazy armor color slappi g it on top

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

Painted these weird little guys

Love these nasty lil dudes

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Should I be sealing a miniature before I do an oil wash?

Just popped some black oil on a minature, let it sit, and went back at it with mineral spirits and a little foam sponge. Ended up stripping off a bunch of the acrylic paint gently going over things to tidy it up.

Didn't let it sit long enough? Poor job priming maybe?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Paragon8 posted:

Varnishing won't hurt, but there shouldn't be a chemical interaction between mineral spirits and acrylic paints. If you're getting paint lifting, it's more likely to be from the friction than the chemical interaction. Foam can be surprisingly abrasive.

If you are just putting neat oil paint on a model, try using a bush moistened with white spirit
Yeah I'm betting it's the foam. This stuff in hindsight basically looks like chopped up magic eraser.

I'm using minieral spirit at the moment, and real reason to switch other than maybe that it's got less of an odour?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

I appreciate it but I wanna IMPROVE

Looks good, so much of mini painting is slow steady improvement and having a chill time

Keep that thing forever as a reminder of where you started

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Contrast paint sounds like a huge pain in the rear end to use, because apparently the medium used in it likes to separate from the pigment and you have to shake it a ton before trying to apply it.

Otherwise it comes out thick and shinny as I found out.

Maybe I'm just in really deep, but this is pretty much all paints if your not using them all the time

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Oh also do people usually use a varnish on their minis?

I generally have until recently. Not playing a lot of games lately and varnish can do weird things to surface finish efft your doing metallics,weathering etc.

If you were gaming though, do a coat of gloss, then a coat of Matte. Gloss is for protection, matte makes it look good again.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Bell_ posted:

Would a layer of varnish impede attempts to improve a model?

I might want to get an army painted to an unfinished but workable point to actually play a game with them to see if I actually like playing the tabletop game before investing more time in the troops to make them prettier.

There's a specific reasons you might want to varnish mid model as people have mentioned, but definitely try to avoid the mindset of re-painting models constantly.

There's something to be said for keepi aground some early work so you can remember where you came from. Worst case, there are a few different ways to strip down models as well if your really looking to start fresh

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Arcturas posted:

By craft store matte varnish, y'all just mean like, Modge Podge, right?

I use rattle can rustoleum painters touch. Cheap,easy, and effective. Mod Podge is basically just PVA glue watered down which is good to water down a ton and seal in terrain.

If I'm feeling fancy I have a ton of gloss/matte medium from golden liquitex to airbrush.

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 27, 2023

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Winklebottom posted:

a lizard

feat. small toad

I love you, little frog!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

What are some really good go-to airbrush primers?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Arcturas posted:

Anyone have experience taking a vortex mixer apart to fiddle with it? Mine has a little cup under the rubber that I assume is sized for a test tube. It works well with an upside-down paint bottle or citadel pot, but trying to put them in right-side-up doesn't quite line up and often I have to fiddle to get a good connection on whatever switch activates the drat thing.

My new one doesn't have this issue somehow. But this little adapter may do the trick for you

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4887753

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

If you aren't eating and huffing paint why are you even in this hobby?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Cardboard Fox posted:

I was going to buy that $100 auto paint mixer, but then I just tried using my "neck massager" for the same purpose. It seems to work well?

Don't see why not, other than convenience. Love my little mixer, especially because I paint in bursts between big gaps in hobby time

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Speed paint guide "You can save time by just considering the light, shadow, and texture of the model before you apply every brush stroke and that will help you out in the long run."

Thanks, feel like I need to make a check list of things to do before I can start painting after watching one of these.

Edit: Yes I know you can just use zenithal highlights as training wheels for this as you build up your skills, but still.

I mean, thats not wrong though

Even on a basic level, a zenithal spray followed by a coat of speed paint will get your stuff done really fast to a decent standard. Then if you want to go sicko mode and get it done to a high standard, considering light sources and shadows is definitely necessary

Even without zenithal, knowing where lights going to hit a model is going inform shading, highlighting etc

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Shoehead posted:

I think I mentioned I'd messed up my motivation by trying to batch paint some models.. the other week I'd managed 2 at once but 3 messed me up.. Anyway I'm very nearly finished these 3 but I painted a skull in this guys canopy and I wanted to share it.

This reminds me of a stumpy little Titanfall mech.

Nice job!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

This guy rips. Love the tiny scale osl on the fire

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Lumpy posted:

Something I read in a comment on a video about Pro-Acryl bottles: after putting paint on the pallet, get it right side up and tap it on the table a few times. That blob of paint will get a _lot_ smaller. The one time reading the comments paid off.

Amazing. Thanks for this

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

vallejo metal color is the best. scale75 is pretty good too

Your probably right, but I do like Vallejo metal air too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Bo-Pepper posted:

Enjoying playing with rusty weathering

This looks awesome. I see the dirty down hiding there!

Absolutely rad paint, if a bit finicky sometimes. Really seems to be something that wants to be experimented with