Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

maybe varnish the card first to give it more stiffness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

My current snow recipe is realistic water mixed with snow flock.

My current ice is done with a very liberal amount of kroma crackle.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Moola posted:

THEYRE NOT BROWNIES :argh:

Embrace it man

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Fuuuuuuck! I forgot brush cleaner ate through plastic and killed all my brushes sitting them in a solo cup!

Other then replacing my winsor and Newton series 7 size 1, what brushes should I get to cover everything. I'm getting pretty respectable with technique etc and would like to have a good set of tools

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Avenging Dentist posted:

I think that depends hugely on your style, overall skill level, and what you're painting. I prefer really small brushes (I have several 10/0s for fine detail stuff), but I know that's not universal. For what it's worth, I just bought some Series 7s in 0, 00, and 000. I have larger brushes, but they're just for basecoats.

I'm by no means knowledgeable with this sort of stuff, but I've been using the 1 for 99% of everything except when drybrushing out doing anything else really abusive like basing. Is there a certain degree of pros/cons to going small vs this?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Should grab moolas brownie base recipe

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

signalnoise posted:

My first WIP in months that is perhaps worth giving a poo poo about. The mistakes are imperceptable at table distance. What should I add to this to finish it?

Washes on everything except maybe the purple. Clean up those couple blue bits on the purple. Even though you can't necessarily see then at table height, a little bit goes a long way on that front.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Cross post from Valhalla

w00tmonger posted:

Witness!!!

Less washed out in real life

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

signalnoise posted:

Not my paintjob, but I was able to pin inside the shaft of this 30mm mini's scythe, because it comes in two parts. Get practicing!

speaking of practice:

I don't know what happened with the wash on this, it reacted really weird over the paint. Usually it spreads more.

Wash looks good. Maybe just water it down a tiny bit and load less on the brush. When that happens to me it's usually because of pooling

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Skarsnik posted:

Can you post a picture of the basecoats before you do any washes or highlights?

This is actually what you should be doing. Great advice.

Cross posting

w00tmonger posted:

Pink legion incoming

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 21, 2015

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

Has anyone used GW's Agrellan Earth crackle paint? What's the verdict?

Just get kroma crackle. poo poo is way more dynamic. Used it to make ice on my game table.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

SteelMentor posted:

Bit of a bizaare question, but how on earth would I go about painting beer? Currently painting some Guildball Brewers and need some ideas on how to paint the spilt beer on Stave and Spiggot.

Depending how it is spilling I would almost paint it off white, then a heavy drybrushing of a lighter white. Beer froths when it's moved quickly

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

shoplifter posted:

How can I improve these plasma guns? These are the first models I've done in 15 years or so, obviously there are things I need to work on with neatness (I actually made an attempt at the rivets, these don't look so good compared to the other 7 marines I did) etc. I got lazy and one did one coat of green. Everything is still WIP and full disclosure, they're for a seven year old.

Anyway, I used to coats of guilliman blue glaze over leadbelcher on the coils. Luckily, now that I've done it, I see that others have done it as well so it wasn't a crazy idea after all, but I was thinking about drybrushing the coils with etherium blue/praxeti white. Dunno which, maybe both. I still have to go back over the end where i let the glaze run into the crevices.

Sorry for the lovely photos, I took it at 11:30 under lovely lighting.

Not sure about the guns, buy the green would look stellar with a quick black or dark green wash on it.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Painting some new goodies. Last ones super in progress but Im real happy at my first color blending attempt with an airbrush.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

SRM posted:

So a few years ago (long before I started this army) a friend of mine gave me the remains of a miscast Squiggoth in a Ziploc bag. It had sat around in my Warhams box for years until a couple weeks ago when I decided to see what I could do with it. With a lot of green stuff, a few digs through my bitz box, and an awful lot of clipping and cutting, I'd built myself a proper howdah for the big beast! There's still some pretty bad problems with the model - a slipped mold happened somewhere obviously - I still think I did a decent job salvaging the model! Also my old second lamp I was using for photography started shooting sparks so I had to toss it; until I get a suitable replacement my lighting might be a little off. This first image shows his colors most accurately:

Whats actually miscast here? looks real tight

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Dayum.

Time to throw out my brushes

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

might be the lighting but whats going on with those shields? could maybe use a bit of shading.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

dishwasherlove posted:

Can anyone suggest a decent basing theme for my Infinity minis? I painted the weapons purple so they would be easier to see on the table, but they may have been a mistake because now I'm stumped for a base and how hard to push the contrast with that.

Daaaaamn, good job on that yellow. Those look amazing

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

im gaye posted:

Sort of a rich luster like this instead of a flat red effect. I'm still learning.

Please make a bunch of pizza party orcs

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Darren MacLennan posted:

Okay, I throw myself on the mercy of the board. Have a look at this:

Ignore what I've done to the rest of the model and look at the face; all of the different layers are very sharp, unlike the work done on the opera pig above. How do I get a "soft" line with acrylics and a brush? Is it wet blending on the miniature?

Looks solid, next step for the next guy would be adding some intermediate blending I think. The fur on his shoulders for instance would really shine if you went from dark, to more of a mix, to the highlight. Stuff like that can really kill it with a drybrush.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

inkblottime posted:

Just wanted to chime in that that brush cleaner has given me the courage to use my expensive brush on a regular basis. My wife purchased the big tub for around $20 and I scooped some into little jars I also use for washing. Here's my setup:

My #2 di Vinci brush still has a nice tip after several days of work and the soap restored some of my cheap synthetic Atlas brushes. The Masters stuff is worth its weight in gold.

Dang, what are those minis? Looks great!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

With everyone posting workspaces I figured I should probably throw my hat into the ring. Got this bad boy as a Christmas present built from scratch.

Quick pic of sins stuff in just finishing up too. Haven't sealed then yet so a couple look really shiny, but it person im hella happy with them.

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 29, 2016

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Avenging Dentist posted:

Would "matte varnish, paint some of the bits, and then gloss varnish" work? I'm not actually sure I want the bit to be shiny, but that might be cool.

If it helps, it's a little transparent skull that shoots lasers out of its eye sockets or something (its ranged attack is called "Skull Gaze"). My goal is to use some transparent paints to make his eyes glowing red and to do a little shading, but make it look overall like a crystal skull. Here's some pictures (not mine) of the guy:

I welcome any alternative suggestions as well.

Cast the skull with some sort of clear resin and embed a rad LED light inside it

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Any airbrush recommendations here? I have a cheapo masters g23 at the moment and was thinking about an upgrade

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

signalnoise posted:

The standard thread recommendation is a Badger Patriot

Any major pro/con vs a similarly priced iwata?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Seeing online that the bager patriot comes with a massive gently caress off needle (.75) which sounds awesome for basecoating/sealing. Being this is what I'm going to be doing 90% of the time that sounds really appealing.

I'm I putting myself in a bad spot to do detail work with that though. Is the needle to big for that stuff/does the brush come with other needles?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Makes sense. Maybe a .35 fine detail?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

K, so far so good this badger patriot is the tits. Just starting to basecoat some 3d prints and it's nuts!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yeah, from the limited stuff I can find, it sounds like the worst that will happen is the CA will soften as well, since it's just an acrylic in the end. As long as I can keep the piece from snapping in two when I bend it, I can fix up any other problems afterwards. I'll probably use my respirator while working on it just in case though.

Is CA the stuff that you can get assist by cooling it. Stick it in the freezer and make it really brittle

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Pierzak posted:

Metallic medium is not fine enough and will give you a "metallic flakes in paint" look. If you want actual colored metal you use VMA Silver, very strong and fine metalic pigment and excellent for mixing.

Holy hell yeah. I just got this stuff and people don't kid around when they recommend the Vallejo metallic airs!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

This may be true of craft paints, but hobby paints have enough stuff stuff in them that just adding water is fine. You can use additives if you like them, but they aren't necessary. I'd like to think I get pretty good blends without them, and better painters than me do stupid stuff.

Here's a piece by Jessica Rich using just paint + water:

Yep, I agree with this until your taking really weird techniques or airbrushing

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

You guys using an ultrasonic cleaner at all? Bought a fairly entry level one off Amazon and it's been working wonders with some diluted simple green

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

That's some real nice weathering

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Any advice on how you would go about doing something like whats done in the purple grooves here?

I think a little floursih like this is what I need to actually be motivated to paint my tan and grey aleph...

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 16, 2016

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Triggered posted:

One thing that I find really useful for paint mixing when im using my airbrush are those little plastic shot glasses you can buy at a supermarket. Its easy to see the consistency by moving the paint up the sides and its nice to pour into the airbrush. Nice and easy to clean up as well.

This is 100% the way to go. Hit up a dollar store and get 500 of them for cheap

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Dang, son

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

nesbit37 posted:

Pictures are not the best but I am happy with this paintjob. First model I have tried the salt technique of weathering on and it turned out pretty well (if a little excessive on the rust). That and I am just pleased to have found and done up a war rig model.

Witnessed!!!!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Arson Fire posted:

I failed my oath this month, but still got a bunch of stuff done.

Plus this gross thing I almost finished

What are those from? Look great!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Just have to make sure quick here, but vlaada isn't a goon right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The current pots are poo poo and not at all airtight. It's probably separating and drying out at the same time. Try storing them upside down, I've been told that slows the drying out.

Agreedo on the new gw paints being pretty gross. I have a couple but try to stick to Vallejo model color and game color when I can.

On that front, anyone know what the difference is between vmc and vgc?