Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
today was a big day for me i painted my first mini at a class

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
i do not know how to spray paint, unfortunately. priming is hard! it's alright though because these guys are not super detailed and are test minis. besides, kobolds are kinda blotchy and weird anyways.

the internet keeps talking about Zenithal Priming but spray paint is hard

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
it looks like i dipped my bold in yogurt

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

grassy gnoll posted:

let those among us cast etc.

Are these Reaper Bones? Because those things are covered in either mold release or are just made out of stuff that'll outright repel primer, which may be the source of your problem.

If you've got some plastic spoons hanging around, those are superlative things to practice on as far as getting your distance, coverage, etc. worked out.

they may be, my friend gave me these because painting didn't jive with his ADD but according to results from Saturday it jives with mine

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
thank you thread. i'm feeling much more confident with the second batch.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
painted my second mini today!!
unfortunately :confuoot: it looks bad!!

I thought I watered down enough. but it looks like no.
Oh well! these are the practice minis

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I appreciate it but I wanna IMPROVE

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I'm happy with the colors, they're very x men but
Isn't smooth

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

primed with rustoleum flat primer. i got better results after following this threads advice
edit: they're monster brand minis. my friend got frustrated with mini painting and wehn i told him i wanted to try gave me these

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
i'm in the US and i'll have to wait a little before i can
dang, i got a good deal on these too
oh that's probably why i got a good deal

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

My Spirit Otter posted:

heres a few mostly finished models that ive painted with those exact paints

(just the high marshal, the ork is done in gw paint)

Those look great dang. I guess I gotta water my paints and practice.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Virtual Russian posted:

Hey check out this converted Vostroyan Officer I'm working on! He's going to be commanding my bombast artillery gun in my Vostroyan combat patrol. I've got some touch ups to do, photos always reveal them... but he's 95% done. No basing because he's going into the gun team. I'm thinking of painting the liner of his coat a beige or something far lighter to give a bit more contrast, he's very brown.

He's a kit-bash of these guys, plus some sculpting.

This is really cool. Putting them together with that pose makes it read very differently.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
update time
i'm on 'bold number 2 now. my paint to water ratio seems whack. but it's doing better I think? I need more layers.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I've been painting with a pinkish wash. This is hard.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Z the IVth posted:

Can you post an actual unpainted mini because I have feeling its your model that is trash, not your painting.

It could be both!

I don't wanna be to mean to these bolds because my friend gave me these to paint

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 7, 2023

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Toebone posted:

Are you priming the mini before painting it? That doesn’t look like fun to paint either way.

I am, with some difficulty

Slyphic posted:

Your friend set you up the bomb. Those are some extremely soft lines, which are going to be a real pain to paint. Don't go all sunk fallacy here, he didn't give them to you because they were awesome and he wanted to share the fun.

He explicitly gave them to me because he tried painting them and didn't like to do so

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I'm glad I finished painting the smudgy kobolds, they were hideous and very unsatisfying to paint but I learned a lot and got some excellent recommendations to burn a hole through my paycheck.

I gotta get some new paints.

I have... other minis! the ones I primed are the nicer of the ones my friend gave me to paint. I didn't go for these first so that I could have some practice. The others are... slightly less bad drunk'n dragon guards (I had an amazon gift card lying around)

I think I can do better on these ones.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

My Spirit Otter posted:

if you have a store that sells gw poo poo you can ask for the free model they give. they'll give you a free primaris space marine

I am planning to head to a store tomorrow

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Ominous Jazz posted:

I have... other minis! the ones I primed are the nicer of the ones my friend gave me to paint. I didn't go for these first so that I could have some practice. The others are... slightly less bad drunk'n dragon guards (I had an amazon gift card lying around)

I'm way happier with how this dude turned out but I feel as though something is missing. I gotta hop on another class for sure. real paint would help too!

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 8, 2023

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Be nice to my friends terrible bolds

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Are you in the US? If you are I can send you a couple dozen 3d printed minis for you to practice on. I am just absolutely swimming in them. PM if you want! They would be good quality minis, just ones I have extras of.

I will take you up on that thank you

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I painted some more little dudes. There's stuff I like and stuff I don't. I'm gonna go out and get vallejo paints. It'd be great if they had like a starter set.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Professor Shark posted:

The key to eyes is to paint black ovals then put two white dots on either side. It’s magic, works amazingly.

I will give my little men anime eyes

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
i can't even get eyes on right and you've got THAT level of detail??? wild to me.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I painted some minis and will post them worst to best All of these I primed black and then tried to dry brush and I don't think it made a difference.
this guy looks like Mega Man from Street Fighter Cross Tekken. I hosed up!

I didn't have a plan with this one and it shows

I'm happier with this one. turns out that skirt isn't metal but I like the way it looks. the metal is the leadbelcher from citadel that I picked up. it's shiny.

Shrek Like Individual (SLI)

I used some leadbelcher metalic paint with the dark red and got a Cool Looking Guy.

I picked up new paints and I picked up some frame work minis for my first time putting together little men! I picked up the tiefling warlock and the human warlock for a few reasons
  • haven't painted a magic man yet and figured it'd be a nice change to get a hi res and nicer looking spell caster
  • it's what they had

It's pretty straight forward except I couldn't figure out how it wanted me to put the flaps for the tiefling's hood and I only spent fifteen bucks they're not gonna print at 300 dpi or double side it. I wanted to kitbash one of the human heads onto the tiefling body because it had a real witch hunter general kind of hat, so I soaked it in very hot water so I could bend the hair against the human body. I couldn't get the horns on right though, and a tielfing without horns is hardly a tiefling at all. So that is just a part in my brand new parts pile! Which I have now.

They give these neat transparent effects for the spells, but I don't really know how I'm supposed to paint these. How am I supposed to prime them and have them still be transparent?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
bouncing off that, you could probably get two dollar store muffin trays and put little magnets on the base and have them be pretty safe

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Ominous Jazz posted:

It's pretty straight forward except I couldn't figure out how it wanted me to put the flaps for the tiefling's hood and I only spent fifteen bucks they're not gonna print at 300 dpi or double side it. I wanted to kitbash one of the human heads onto the tiefling body because it had a real witch hunter general kind of hat, so I soaked it in very hot water so I could bend the hair against the human body. I couldn't get the horns on right though, and a tielfing without horns is hardly a tiefling at all. So that is just a part in my brand new parts pile! Which I have now.

They give these neat transparent effects for the spells, but I don't really know how I'm supposed to paint these. How am I supposed to prime them and have them still be transparent?

I tried some speed painter paint and uh

holy moly i'm happy with the results. I wanted to give him nice hair because he's an evil warlock so that you know that he could have spent his life being very good looking but gave it up for Unnatural Power. I wasn't patient with the transparent parts so it looks smudged but even then!!

I really like some of the results here.

I also picked up 3 pre primed goblins. they were 5 of dollar. they have faces from those weird memes about chads.

The paintset i got didn't have a white so i tried mixing liquitek white in it and that was Not Good. Muddy colors. One kobold came out pretty good though

Especially when you compare to the smudgy bolds from a couple weeks ago

Ominous Jazz posted:

I'm glad I finished painting the smudgy kobolds, they were hideous and very unsatisfying to paint but I learned a lot and got some excellent recommendations to burn a hole through my paycheck.

I gotta get some new paints.

This hobby is so relaxing to me. I've been getting way better sleep. But that might be fumes. I also wanted to say that this thread is so nice to new people and encouraging and I was very worried about that before I started posting. Thanks gang.

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 20, 2023

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
what companies are making minis on sprue? i really liked making and painting the frameworks minis and getting little bits

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
but do they got BITS

edit; they do

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 22, 2023

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

khazadum posted:

edging ever closer to completing my Necron backlog. a couple months worth, optimistically.

so of course I just bought the marines half of Leviathan, and the Kroot half of 2 In to the Dark boxes.

I dig the water you've done there, that's really fresh basing

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Ominous Jazz posted:

I picked up new paints and I picked up some frame work minis for my first time putting together little men! I picked up the tiefling warlock and the human warlock for a few reasons
  • haven't painted a magic man yet and figured it'd be a nice change to get a hi res and nicer looking spell caster
  • it's what they had

Remember these guys? Well.

I'm not in love with the army painters speed painters paint (2.0). it's great because it gets on the mini fast but also; it's so runny and hard to control. this guy was hard to work with and his big star didn't work out the way i wanted it to. but! i liked highlighting the collar because it made him look like a evil priest and I think the tentacle cloud came out pretty good. it didn't come out transparent though, but I had primed it and gave up.

Remember these guys? I wanted to see if I could paint them but with the new paints I got
[quote="Ominous Jazz" post="536023305"]
I'm happier with this one. turns out that skirt isn't metal but I like the way it looks. the metal is the leadbelcher from citadel that I picked up. it's shiny.

Shrek Like Individual (SLI)

I used some leadbelcher metalic paint with the dark red and got a Cool Looking Guy.

pros: yes
cons: the "holy white" in that paint is WAY more just a gray and doesn't brighten anything up when I mix it and i got two of them

these were the cheapo models i picked up and while they're sparse on detail they're kinda charming.

A friend 3D printed this clown for me. It had some goop on it still. Next time i'll sand it down a bit. I wasn't thinking so they're the trans flag clown.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
my local store had a bunch of the frameworks minis at like 5 bucks a pop and the fifty dollar orc framework pac for 15

if i paid fifty dollars for seven minis and got doubles of the ugliest and least personable two i would have dropped this hobby like a wet brick

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
If games varnish good?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I put mine in a lovely Tupperware that I lost the lid for

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
i did surgery to this goblin and put him on my first custom made base. I put the little rocks there myself and everything!!

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Cardboard Fox posted:

I'm going to be experimenting more with dry brushing using that Artis method as well. The $20 army painter brushes I ordered will hopefully do the trick. I know this hobby is expensive, but I'm not spending $130 on a fancy case.

I was thinking of making my own texture palette with a bunch of unused plastic mini parts. The idea being that I would be able to test how much coverage I'm getting before putting it on my main model.

i saw youtubers doing that with sprue and extra bits and it seemed to be really effective*
*i do not want to spend 30 dollars

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
i slay in the name of the emperium

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
i feel like i made a mistake using elmers glue for my basing. the good news is that i have a lot of it

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
VR you always post the coolest stuff I love their big hats over their masks and putting your kitbashed commander in there is chefs kiss good

I love the tobacco smoke looking browning at the bottom

Edit: that tank is so cool???

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
That looks killer, that's a great looking don't give a poo poo