Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Joining the :bandwagon: and posting some of my favourite figs (mostly Orks plus Oaths from the past year):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

XPost from the Oath thread, have some terrible pics!

Zark the Damned posted:

Early for me this month, but Oath Completed. Had trouble with lighting and levels were all over the place, so apologies for the worse than normal pics.

Objective markers. Claiming I Rolled a 6! for them. Bright green numbers to stand out on the battlefield!

Fighter type guy. Jurnal is his scarred face, chipped sword and battered shield (which I couldn't seem to get a good shot of)

Paladin. Also has a duelling scar, crazy psycho eyes and emo black lipstick. (mainly because the cast basically had no mouth and I overexaggerated it...)

Will be spending time this month assembling and prepping stuff to paint (whatever free time I have that isn't eaten by Nuclear Throne anyway...)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

That blending's looking pretty great! Where's that mini from?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

These guys rule. Please tell me you're getting an Eva-01 figure to go with them as a counts-as Knight :)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

nopantsjack posted:

Anybody have any ideas on the best models for 40k hiveworld gangsters or civilians? I'm wanting to convert a genestealer cult with a hiveworld theme but I'm having trouble finding any good models for non-military humans.

Chaos Cultists should do the part if you remove the stars. http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Chaos-Space-Marines-Cultists - they have an 'underground scavvy' look to them.

If you're not bothered about sticking to GW stuff there's a bunch of options:

Heresy miniatures have a gang set that are fairly close in style to the old Delaque stuff - http://heresyminiatures.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_15 - may make nice veterans but would get expensive for a larger army.

If you're after a less uniform rabble, Hasslefree have a line of 'modern adventurers' with some guys who look like regular people who found some guns - http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?category=modern-%26%0D%0Apost%252dapoc~modern-adventurers

You could probably adapt some of these guys into a militia too, though they're much more 'realistic modern age' than the above - http://www.wargamesfactory.com/webstore/dark-futures/apocalypse-survivors-men (there's another pack of women too).

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

nopantsjack posted:

Thanks those are totally perfect! Might actually get this poo poo done now!

If you want some more variety there's a bunch of them in the 40k Dark Vengeance box, I think they have different sculpts fromt he separate set, plus you get a couple of leaders, a flamer and stubber (iirc). You may be able to pick them up separately from eBay or similar.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

In general, lots of thin coats tends to be the best way to do white.

Another thing I have tried in the past with mixed results is to undercoat in white, apply another layer of white over the top, then thin down some light grey paint and use it as a wash, followed by further white highlights. Worked OK for large units of High Elves but wasn't quite good enough for individual characters.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

IG Tanks used to have a generic Track Sprue cast in black plastic which were used by both Chimera and Leman Russ (plus variants of both), maybe those ones? I don't recall there ever being actual rubber tracks though.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Totally old school, and also totally a pain in the rear end to fit without a misalignment somewhere :)

The new versions gain in convenience what they lose in having a ton of spare tank wheels and tracks...

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Depending on how thick you want them, cocktail sticks or straightened paperclips may work and are pretty cheap.

Brass rod is better but can be a bit pricy, though I did find some steel rods with a plastic coating a while back which were relatively cheap and sturdy (sadly the store that sold them closed down but you may be able to find similar somewhere).

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Certainly not worth those prices, even if they have added a bunch more stuff. It's not like it's a big art gallery or something!

Next there'll be a charge to get into their stores.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

This is phenomenal

http://mumumuno53.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-68.html

I can't even wrap my head around how thats been made and painted to look like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yHUSkyslMQ

And I thought the comic style Gundam was the pinnacle of 3d 2d art...

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Oyumaru - http://www.metalclay.co.uk/oyumaru-instant-mold-moulding-compound/ (there's a bunch of versions, not sure which is the best for you)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

zVxTeflon posted:

Painting goons what am I doing wrong here. I put a wash on this X-wing ship and its dirtying up the overall ship well enough but nothing is really collecting in the nooks and corners. Am i just watering it down too much? Im using about a 50:50 water/wash ratio. How do i get it to bring out the details more without making it too grey in the other areas any more? Sorry the pic sucks but my phone really hates focusing on anything close up

Maybe try wash n wipe? Give it a thicker wash and while it's still wet wipe it off the top surfaces. I've used it for detail stuff before and had decent results, though nothing on the X-Wing scale.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

IIRC Cote d'arms still make Goblin Green. Not sure if it's an exact match to the GW one of old though.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I think it's one of the subscription only White Dwarf figures from GW.

Loving the hair and the rebellion-orange jumpsuit :)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

HardCoil posted:

Thanks, it's supposed to say "AEGIS" though :unsmith:
The shoulder bits are actually a greenstuff cast from a Dreamforge Leviathan. No way I would be able to do two of those from scratch. That's really the hardest part of stuff like this, to keep things nice an symmetrical.

That dread is awesome and is what the Dreadknight should have looked like.

Also you should go with Regis :D

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Army Painter Quickshade Wash. Strong or Dark Tone (try both and see which you prefer, they're both good).

GW's Agrax Earthshade is their own replacement.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

It really depends what you're after. The quickshade dip is kinda like a combination wash and gloss varnish in one so it's reasonable for protecting the paintwork afterwards, with their washes they dry matt but there's no built in protection.

If you do use the dip it's better to brush it on with an old brush, and make sure to leave it to dry for at least a week before applying any varnish as it can interact weirdly.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Ran into with an issue with some spray today, army painter white. Not sure what caused it but the first half of the minis were fine, but when I flipped em over to do their backs the spray went weird and has left a very rough texture, almost like grit or something?

I don't think it's an issue with humidity or whatever as I also sprayed some other stuff black and had no issues with that.

Is my best bet to strip em and try again? Or will it smooth itself out if I just paint it as-is?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

I think I'm going to take back any idea of getting more ebay rescue projects because my first one is proving to be a sheer hell.

This is how a Leman Russ chassi I got a while ago looks like after three weeks in a pure green soap bath aside from periods where I've gone at it with an toothbrush which has only helped to gotten rid of the first layer of paint apparently.
So does anyone have any better ideas for paint stripping that can be acquired in the EU that might help me get rid of the rest of it?

Brown Dettol hasn't failed me yet. Not sure if it's in the rest of the EU but it's certainly here in the UK.

I heard Fairy Power Spray used to be good but they changed the recipe so YMMV

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I've had no problems painting bones. I used Army Painter primer and no issues with tackiness at all.

There was a post earlier about 'priming' them with some kind of wash? May want to look through a few pages to find it.

Edit: it was in the Reaper thread, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3540876&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=90#post449330389

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 29, 2015

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Not a viking posted:

I want a mini of a muscular-looking wizard for Frostgrave (28 mm) where I want to field a Muscle Wizard. Any ideas for which range I can find one?

If you want a far Eastern monk style muscleman you could go with some Ro-Kan minis from Bushido - http://www.bushido-thegame.com/

e.g. the dude on the left in the starter set (if you can get him separately, though some of the peasents would make great murderhobos in a themed warband):

Also these fuckers would make awesome 'Elemental Hammer' build melee wizards:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Maybe get some custom transfers made?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Serotonin posted:

Finished other than the shield which I can't do because my wife's not around to cut the decal out. Oh and needs some flock

Not bad considering I guess. Had to rely on washes a lot more than usual though.

That dude's better than most of my stuff, you done good!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Their stuff is pretty ace. I've been considering getting some for a while, but I haven't really worked with MDF before so am worried about the assembly and painting.

That plus the thousands of unpainted minis I already have...

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Yeah, that needs to be a bare head under the helmet, doesn't work with the respirator in place.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Any UK Goons heading to Fiasco this year? I'm contemplating a visit, a meetup would be neat.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SRM: Finding more ways to make the Taurox look good :)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

They'd work well as pretty big dragons in 28mm, though there are a few which have riders so you'd want to avoid them.

I have a few, I'll try remember to take some scale shots this weekend.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Not a viking posted:

How big are the McFarlane dragons? Are they fit for 28 mm?

I remembered to take some scale shots, hope these help.

The small dudes in the front are a wood elf archer (kneeling) and the old metal Korhil, a GW Chariot base and a 6x5 movement tray for 20mm bases. I can take some more measurements if you'd like. These are all from Series 1 (though I think some were re-issued in different colours later).

They all have some potential for posing, generally there's a joint in the head/neck and a limb or two.

Eternal Clan - the tallest of the figures, mainly 'cause of the scenic ruined hut for a base. Has a rider in approx 35mm scale?

Sorceror Clan

Fire Clan - this pose would be awkward for a rider unless you're going for a 'dragon about to eat rider' look.

Water Clan

Komodo Clan - Probably the smallest one all round, could probably be rebased on a chariot base or similar without issue.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Pierzak posted:

Anyone know where I can get crash test dummies in 28mm scale? I want to make a proxy army :haw:

Possibly eBob's armatures could work here? They're humanoid and have little detail to them, could be smoothed out or sculpted up it you have the patience. http://www.ebobminiatures.com/products/tools.htm

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SRM posted:

Time for more 'Ardboyz. I painted them in a more "uniform" style after painting every guy completely different in the last squad, and aside from the shot where you can see a bunch of them wearing the same pants it's not noticeable at all when they're all mobbed up. Once I divide the various boyz around various squads, they'll be a right and proper rabble without me going insane having to paint every guy distinctly and without batch painting.

Not enough love for these guys, they look ace. A good use for all those spare UM transfers too! :D

Reminds me I really oughta make more Ardboy mobz not they're no longer 0-1...

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

GW Nuln Oil (previously Badab Black) will take almost any shoddily painted minature from "terrible" to "good tabletop quality". If I could just buy a 20 liter barrel and just straight up dunk my plastic mans in it, I would.

Army Painter Dark tone ink wash does the same. Strong tone is meant to be good too but I've not tried it myself yet.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

You can also employ the wash n wipe strategy of giving the model a thinned wash then wiping off the topmost layer on the panels etc. with a bit of tissue.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Airbrush goons, is http://www.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=11484 a decent one for a beginner? I'm not looking to do anything fancy, just use it for quickly applying base coats to larger minis and terrain.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

On the off chance people still use them, GW have started selling double size pots of shade for a little under double the old price: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Citadel-Shade-2015

Plus a range of expensize mugs water pots http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Water-Pot-Leadbelcher and looks like there's a bunch of new colours in their 'dry' paints.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Those pots are the best. The soft plastic lids form a great seal, even when the lid's got a split in it. I have an old bleached bone pot from that era with a hosed lid but the paint's still fine.

Bolter pots were the worst and rarely managed to keep the paint liquid for long. The flip top ones were less bad but the screw top ones were nightmares and I can't believe someone signed off on them.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SRM posted:

After going through all those weedy grots, I thought I'd paint something with a little more oomph - finally got around to painting my second trukk!

I think this thing might be my favorite conversion I've ever done, it was a joy to put together, and that moment where everything just clicked made some all the frustration worth it. Fixing it after it fell off my table was less fun though.

That's pretty drat awesome and I love that you've used both halves of the Taurox on different vehicles :D

Any chance of a side by side comparison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I too have been painting Salamanders. Yours look better though.

Zark the Damned posted:

:rock: Oath Complete :rock:

Apologies for the bad pics, I don't have a goot lighting setup for the middle of Autumn when it's dark as gently caress outside.

One salvaged RT-Era Predator, called Slayer 'cause it's metal as gently caress :rock: - plenty of freehand skulls for the Jurnal too!

Alongside squadron mate Reaper, which was painted as part of season 5