Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Gambrinus posted:

These are class. Did you paint the eagle thingy/skulls on yourself or are they transfers?

They're all transfers. I managed to blend most of them into the paint job okay. Some look a bit messy close up.

tangy yet delightful posted:

That's awesome but please also post your Basilisk Chimeras!

Thanks! I think I've posted some of my older stuff before. I'll dig up the links for my mech Guard tomorrow. The paint jobs aren't as good, but I'm proud of some the conversions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
If you want a really beat-to-poo poo looking metal/silver, you can try a lightish grey basecoat. Wash with Nuln and drybrush silver.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I recently got a bunch of stuff done after having to take a bit of a break from painting around the end of last year. My bathroom renovation went from supposedly lasting one month to three. :(

I finished up the crew for my Earthshaker battery. The second gun is missing a shell cradle, my attempt at converting one was a huge failure. I'll add that eventually if I manage to construct one.

I got a Sicarian squad based. I really like these spindly monster dudes.

And finally, I painted a Krieg squad. I stole the colour scheme from someone here, hope you don't mind unknown person. I really like it, I think it was supposed to be based on some kind of WWI Ottoman uniform.

They were supposed to be a veteran squad for my IG army, but with the new codex I guess I'll have to rip a meltagun off one of the dudes. :(

I'm working on a Cargo-8 Ridgehauler conversion right now, as a prime mover to haul the Earthshakers around. Are there any current rules for a Trojan? I doubt I'll use it much, except as terrain. It's too lightly armed to work as a counts as Chimera.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Cat Face Joe posted:

wow holding it for an entire month sounds difficult, three would be impossible

I was fortunately able to move out for the duration, but couch surfing for a surprise extra two months wasn't alot of fun.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yess, yellow Sicarians are the best.

That was Al-Saqr

Thanks for finding the post! And also a big thanks to Al-Saqr for giving me the inspiration to paint my Krieg squad. I bought the box a long time ago, but couldn't decide on a colour scheme.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Al-Saqr posted:

Thief! Scoundrel! Serpent!

lol J/K these are incredible work! good job! I'm so happy I inspired you to try my overall color scheme out! I absolutely love what you've done and I'll definiely take some notes from you as well!

I'm almost done with my gallowdark terrain, once its finished I will catch up with you and finish my Krieg as well!

It's not strictly ottoman WW1 (the ottomans largely dressed in normal fatigues at that time) it's more trying to mix ottoman themes and middle eastern bronze work decoration, it looks awesome good job!

Thanks!
The colour scheme works really well, even after I made some changes to account for available paints and simplifications. I just couldn't afford to do anything really intricate for a whole squad.
The golden shoulder pads are a bit of a challenge for squad markings, so I decided to leave them off for now.

I look forward to seeing the officially sanctioned versions later. :)

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Crossposting pictures of my finished Ridgehauler from the 40k thread:

quote:

I finished the transfers, so I'm calling the Ridgehauler(/Trojan) done now.

And here's a shot of the artillery platoon. The whole project started as an elaborate objective setup for small games, but I guess it's a playable 600 pts army too. I ought to figure out how to expand it to an even 1k or something.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Eej posted:

Fiddling around with camo on my Rangers, hoping to dial in the exact pattern I wanna use. It's fun to randomly draw lines though!

I like the idea you're working with there. Like a mix between some Native American blanket patterns and dazzle camo.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

I'm working on a platoon banner for my IG. Freehanding the wavy cloth is a nightmare. Stil lots to go, but the major details are blocked in at least.

I sketched the pattern on paper and then tried to draw it out on the model with pencil, but it's feels only barely workable that way. I think the flag might be stretched a bit unnaturally, so the folds aren't quite right. Fortunately my painting skills are bad enough that it won't affect the final result.

Am I missing something really obvious in the process? I've seen some absolutely prefect flags and banners that were clearly painted on a similar molded surface. Is it just drawing talent and experience?

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Ez8 posted:

Thin your paints, multiple coats, steady hands. You got this. Don't rush it. You're doing great.

Thanks!

I think I'm about one slightly lighter shade off from finishing the red and blue. The symmetry is okayish at best, but fortunately the highlights do a lot to hide it. :)

I'm not sure about the last details though. The regiment is from one of the planets of Ultramar, so I was thinking of adding a few lines of gold to emphasize the Ultramar/Ultramarines inverted omega formed by the blue. I mean the triangles in the corners on the sketch below. Would it be too much? I think I'd have to paint a line of gold to separate the red and blue as well, in that case.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Spanish Manlove posted:

It'll likely be too much to add in another color.

But one trick I like to do for cloth is consistent brush stroke direction to simulate the weft and warp of the material. It's a small nitpicking detail that no one would ever notice but adds a lot of simple authenticity to sell that the flag is made out of cloth. You have it a bit on the left side of the banner

Flag is done. I tried the brush stroke method, I'm pretty happy with it. The picture exaggerates the effect, but it's still a visibly different texture. Thanks for the tip!

Now all I have to do is paint another exact copy on the other side. That's the part that really terrifies me.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Doom guy looks awesome.

Just finished my platoon banner.

I'm pretty satisfied with the results. The skull and numbers turned out a little wonky, but it's not worth trying to fix it. Perfect is the enemy of good, and all that.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Bucnasti posted:

I think that looks spectacular.
I the slight wonkyness really works for it, historically unit regalia was handmade by the unit, or someone associated with the unit (wives, mothers etc) so they were usually a little rough.

Here's a navy artillery flag from WW2, you can clearly see the hand stitching and rough cuts on the symbols.

Thanks!

I hadn't considered the possible hand-made flag angle. I was happy with the results as it was, but now I have an additional explanation for any mistakes. :D Really, the only part that bothers me at all is the rear side 52. Painting curved lines inside the fold was super awkward.

A buddy wanted to see the flag next to the rest of the army, so you get to see it too. It's a nice splash of color among all the muted yellows, greens and browns.

I'll take a better picture once I've finished the bases too. My army is almost 9th edition legal, just in time for the edition switch. :)

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Count Thrashula posted:

My new T'au commander, courtesy of Pipermakes' 3d printed models. I didn't wait long enough for the white ink to dry before doing the yellow so it came out really smudgy and streaky. I think I salvaged it enough to look vaguely not terrible.

It looks really good. You managed to turn it into a cool weathering effect. Assuming this isn't a display model, no one is going to notice any defects at tabletop distance.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
The gumshoe demon is fantastic! :)
---

I just wanted to drop by and post pictures of my IG platoon. I've been painting these dudes since the release of the plastic Cadians in 3rd edition, so there are some differences in both style and quality. The infantry portion is hopefully 100% done now, but I'm still missing a couple of vehicles.

First up the complete command squad, with some advisors.

Here are all my models that are painted in this camo scheme. The Castellan (up front) used to be a senior officer in a company command squad that got recycled into the shock troops and mortar squads in the new codex. The former veterans (2nd and 3rd row on the left) were rebuilt into another shock troops squad.

Finally, just the platoon with transports. Still a pair of Chimeras short, or possibly a Chimera and another Taurox conversion (third from the left) if I feel up to it. The Chimera on the right belongs to the former veteran squad, and is included here for symmetry. :)

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I'm continuing my hopeless quest of clearing out my backlog of IG stuff that I haven't used since 4th ed. These old LR Demolisher metal bits are surprisingly heavy. It's so front heavy that I added the dozer blade mostly to stop it from tipping forward constantly. :D

I was so happy with the drybrushed camo pattern that I decided to keep weathering to a minimum. Saving a lot of time was merely a happy coincidence. I might still do just a little bit of weathering down the line, but it'll do for now.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Axetrain posted:

That looks dope as gently caress. I don’t know how they are handling those insanely huge shells inside a turret of that size though.

Thanks!

The shell size is easy to solve, you just assemble the shell directly into the barrel from sub-components. It's an 85 part process, but that's why you drill your loader. :D

Turret size is one of the main reasons I don't like Leman Russes. Demolishers just barely get away with it with the extra armor.

I scratch built a larger turret for my first Leman Russ. I never got around to converting the torsion bars for the tracks, couldn't find suitable plastic tubes back in the day. I should really get around to that, seeing as I have the tubes now.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

Finished painting Teostra, the Emperor of Flame.

It's really hard to get good pictures of his wing patterns.

It looks great, I especially love the way he blends with the lava features on the base.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
My sixth Chimera is done. "Castat" is by far the prettiest of them, I painted most of the others a long time ago (see below). I can finally run my mechanised platoon as intended, even if I have to steal a Chimera from my former Hardened Vets. :)

Future transports will probably be converted into Tauroxes, like this:

I really need to renumber that one, I painted it before the Chimera Command Vehicle ability was introduced. My platoon command squad is driving around in the only transport that they can't issue orders out of. :|

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Unless you drill out and swap the orbs for something translucent I think OSL is your best bet. That might allow you to paint the orb "dark" while still allowing it to "light" it's surroundings.

You can't paint anything that looks like that picture on the surface of a sphere, at least not if you're supposed to view it from more than one angle.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Those Chimeras look great!

I'm very envious, they're so much nicer than mine.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
That's a very scary looking Horus!

I've been working on a Primaris Chaplain for my mixed Ultramarines Primogenitor collection. I can't really call it an army since they haven't seen the battlefield in a very long time.

The model is just amazing, and it's been a joy to paint. It's also my first Primaris marine, the slight upscaling does wonders for my ability to get some detail in. I just sprayed some varnish on the model, it's such a relief to not have to worry about rubbing paint off by accident.

He's still missing a shoulder pad and golden halo. I have to paint them separately, the shoulder pad in particular is impossible to paint if attached. I can see some small mistakes in the picture that I'll have to fix as well, but for once I managed to be tidy all the way through and not mess up earlier parts as I worked on the rest.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
My Genesis Chapter Primaris Chaplain is done.

On a technical level, this is by far the best miniature I've ever painted. Somehow, I managed to paint the whole thing without messing anything up. Even the chapter symbol turned out okay, with all those straight lines on a curvy shoulder pad. :)

I would be happy with the result even if the model was twice as big. I'll have to take some better pictures this weekend, the light is a bit bad right now.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
With these two Tech-Priests finished, my AdMech collection is once again 100% painted.

I really like the models. They're sufficiently weird while still looking like humans, unlike their bosses.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I thought the lines were part of the design at first. No one will notice either flaw on the tabletop. Gaming models get damaged sometimes, trying to keep entire armies looking pristine is a hopeless task.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
The Elucidian Starstriders kill team models are really nice, considering that they're made out of just two or three parts. I just started painting parts of the team, mostly for IG regimental attaché proxies. I'm really happy with how the face turned out on this guy.

I'll do the base once I finish the electro-priest wierdo as well.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

SuperKlaus posted:

I'd like to inject as much weeaboo into the Voidscarred Corsair Kill Team I'm assembling now as possible. I don't suppose anyone knows if there are hands/arms I could get doing ninja jutsu signs to put on Psyker instead of a staff, or Kill Team guy-compatible heads with kasa or topknots?

Some of these might work. They look pretty good combined with old Cadians and Catachans. Maybe elf hands need to be a bit more slender?

https://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/hand-guestures
https://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/tactical-hand-gestures

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Chill la Chill posted:

Thanks a lot for the thoughts on colorshift paints. I think with my paint style it really won't fit anyway, but was curious given the neat effects it has. I think it would be nicer if it worked with smaller items, but it makes sense that you need a larger surface area for it to really pop and you could just use the existing methods of extreme highlights in smaller spaces.

I used colorshifting paint on my AdMech wing membranes. I'm happy with how they came out, though it's pretty difficult to photograph. It's way cooler in person.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I finished my regimental attaché proxies (from the Starstrider kill team). They'll do for now, though the Starstriders are a slightly larger scale than my old infantry models. It was unexpected, since the Kriegers are pretty much the same size as my old Cadians.

The whole advisor team, including an old Master of Ordnance I converted years ago.

Closeups of the new dudes. I really like the models, very cool considering their simplified assembly.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
That's a really pretty wing.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Before painting my last Leman Russ, I decided to convert it into a tank commander. I've been holding back on starting the project since I knew I had to scratchbuild the turret to match my other LR. It took a while to hand fit the pieces, just like last time. The finished result is pretty decent though, and surprisingly sturdy too.

While on a conversion spree I also decided to "fix" the new IG Ordnance Battery. I don't like how the gunner sits behind the gun, since he's too low to aim it using iron sights anyway. I moved the gunnery controls to the right side, giving the loaders more room to work. After magnetising the gun options I realised the ridiculous rocket pods wouldn't fit on anymore, so I had to build new mounts for the launchers. I ended up being pretty happy with them too.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

My Spirit Otter posted:

just to nerd out a little bit, indirect fire weapons arent aiming directly at their target. theyre aiming at either a set of aiming posts or a collimator off to the side, preferably at a 45 degree angle to the front on the side of the sight. the guns are facing a certain direction, and are in specific spots, as determined by the recce party. the command post is told where the bullets/rockets need to go by the forward observer, they do some quick math, then tell the gun crews the elevation and bearing the gun needs to be set at and how much propellant to use. the sights on ever 105mm howitzer ive fired has had the sight, elevation handle, and traverse handle are in a position where sitting on the trail is necessary.

Thanks, I have to admit I don't know anything about modern guns. I looked at some ww1 and ww2 vintage reference pictures, didn't see any guns with the gunner sitting behind the barrel. I figured these guns are supposed to be lighter than 105 mm stuff, more in the 75 mm range. Like you said, the M101 howitzer is almost exclusively an indirect attack weapon, barring extraordinary emergencies.

I was mostly going for a more ww2 AT gun look, since the gunner has to be in position for both the bombast cannon and the heavy lascannon. I'm pretty sure the latter is an extremely direct fire weapon. :) I thought about deleting the gunners seat entirely for maximum "realism" for 2/3 of the weapons, but the huge base looks pretty barren with only two crew. I'll still have to take off the gunner when I play them as rocket artillery.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Here's the Space Marines combat patrol I just finished. Minotaurs terminators and a squad of mysterious Legion of the Damned.

I had some fun with the heraldry, though I'm happy I never have to freehand bulls heads again. :)

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Jonny Nox posted:

Everything is amazing, but it’s the levels of tone on the fire has me absolutely gob smacked, weirdly

Yeah I guess the bull head is nice too.

Thanks!

The fire was surprisingly easy to do. Just pick six or so shades from deep red to bright yellow. I think I did burnt red, blood red, orange, gold yellow, bright yellow and a few final touches with some white mixed in. Make sure the paint is thinned down just a little bit. It's better to do two coats of each shade rather than try to go too thick.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I haven't finished the markings on the tank, but I'm really happy how the skintone turned out on the commander.

I added some stowage for additional visual interest, and I'm pretty happy how well that turned out as well.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Thanks! On a model that large, they're pretty necessary. The flat armour plates are so boring that the eye is drawn to the few details. If I leave them half done, they'll look terrible.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Tank Commander (and command tank) completed. I had alot of fun working with this one. Vehicles are very relaxing to paint when you don't go for a difficult camo scheme.

Bonus group shot of my Russes.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I don't get why the text on the sword is aligned like that. I doesn't make sense no matter which way you turn it?

The paint job is spectacular, of course, but the red glow makes it so noticeable.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Cease to Hope posted:

It's flipped both vertically and horizontally, the latter probably a product of photography.

his trick to do those inscriptions is one of his big anyone-can-do-this cheats, it's just oil wash thinned for capillary action

Thanks, combination of being mirrored and upside down just stopped it from making any sense to me whatsoever. Especially with "DEI" is symmetrical on the vertical axis. (It means "God Killer", or something like that?)

I wrote the text down on a piece of paper and held it up to a lamp, just to be sure. :D

Oil washes and capillary action are just magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Lostconfused posted:

I think I'm having an epiphany, I'm going to speed paint my 20 unassembled guard in like two or three colors and that's it.

Of course maybe I'm just delirious from not enough sleep.

Simplifying a scheme is pretty useful in getting stuff painted. A year ago, I realized that there was no way I was ever going to finish painting my IG infantry in my chosen mech infantry scheme. I figured out a much simpler alternative scheme (darker colours with better coverage), and now I have a 50-man platoon of security troops for my artillery.

They don't look quite as cool as my mech inf platoon, but they are done.