Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Does anyone make a set of UV Phosphorescent model paints? Bonus points if I can push them through an airbrush? I have ~*IdEaS*~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Possibly...I have one but the basket and surround are plastic, I'll have to do a test to see if the clean spirit reacts with it (probably not is my guess) and then see if it cleans it any quicker. I don't think it would be required at all for the isopropyl alcohol or meth spirit because it reacts so fast already. Maybe after a soak a few minutes in the machine would help loosen all the paint, though.

My guess is that it won't do anything that scrubbing wouldn't, just a faster and with less mess (and probably more prone to free paint residue from details).

Hubis
May 18, 2003

BULBASAUR posted:

Gesso is ok. I used it in the past and it can work, but it takes detail away, is easy to remove with force (bad for weathering), and for large models like tanks good luck getting a smooth coat.

Counterpoint: People love it for terrain, because you can just slather it over acres of foam and cardboard (and can't use spray primer if your piece has a foam component).

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

are there any videos out there where you just straight up watch someone paint a mini? i dont even care if it's three hours long i just feel like i have some gaps to fill in and seeing someone better than me do it might help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?ThePaintingClinic

Hubis
May 18, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

Can leave ugly tide marks if not done quick enough.

A drop or so of drying retarder should help this, right?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

i invested in decent brushes and flow improver over the weekend and got a chance to use them last night. it's like I've started a completely different hobby it is nuts how much better it makes it

How are you using the flow improver? I've mixed a tiny, tiny amount of it with some water and matte medium in a dropper bottle to use for thinning, but I've also used straight matte medium or straight water, and I've never really been able to settle on something that works best. I'd like to kind of formalize my approach.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

BULBASAUR posted:

I add a few drops of it into paint on my palette along with a drop or two of water. Basically, I mix it as I go.

1:1-1:2 with the water, or even less than that?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

I use matte medium in place of water for thinning for 90% of my painting, which I have been told is wrong and does not work. So yeah, go figure

If I'm doing some fairly simple blending I'll stick a bit of glaze medium in

For really proper hardcore glaze blending (juicing), just pure water though.

Matte medium won't thin the consistency, but it changes the acrylic/pigment ratio so that when it dries it forms a thinner layer. I'm not 100% sure what the difference between glaze and matte medium is (presumably the latter is more 'matte') but I have found anecdotally that using glaze medium seems to provide better results when I'm trying to do blending.

Flow improver, as stated, breaks up the surface tension so that the paint naturally flows into recesses better.

Drying retarder (not mentioned) slows down how fast the paint dries, so that you can push it where you want more before it sets (which is very useful for washes).

Water (distilled!) does all three of these things to varying degrees, although not quite as well as any one of them. You can get away with just water, I think -- the reason to use the additives mentioned above is if you want more of one of those properties than another.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

signalnoise posted:

I'm taking this a step further back. On the left is just base coat. On the right, I have shaded relatively recessed areas, highlighted the raised areas, and drybrushed a little.

Is this correct? Still looks messy to me and I don't really know how to be less messy here.

The basecoat on the left doesn't have good or even coverage. Highlighting and shading won't fix that so it will still look messy. For that color I'd also probably prefer painting over white rather than black.

e: and seconding basecoating your base color instead of your highlight color. You can coat in your highlight color and then hit it with a brown ink wash, which might work really well, but you still need really good coverage on that base coat.

If you are thinning your paints, you might be
1) thinning them too much
2) using too much water/not enough medium (causing the pigments to be stretched too thin)
3) not doing enough coats to fill in the gaps (which you need to do if you're thinning a fair bit but not using high pigment density paint)

Hubis fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 8, 2015

Hubis
May 18, 2003

signalnoise posted:

How do you get good coverage while not putting too much in detail areas and muddying them? If I thin any more than I do then the paint just seeps into detail areas and away from raised parts.

edit: ok

I'd suggest making sure you're adding Matte Medium (you'll get better coverage for the same amount of thinning) or doing multiple coats (it won't pool because each layer will dry before you do the next coat).

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

Do you guys use distilled water for your water cups too? Just realized I never used it and only ever use it for my water/retarder/flow improver dropper bottles. But, I do tend to add straight water from my water cup to thin things more or to wash between blending (I don't have the dexterity to use two-brush blending with one hand) so it might affect the paint's behavior just a bit.

I started to after having noticed some home-made washes tended to leave an unsightly white ring at the 'tide marks', which I'm guessing is calcium/mineral deposits from the tap water. I don't bother in my cleaning cup (though I have started adding a drop of "Jet Dry" detergent to it, which sort of acts as a flow improver and helps clean the paint off the brush a bit more).

I fill a spare dropper bottle with distilled H2O now, which is also better because I can control how much I'm adding a bit more easily.
I also have a dropper bottle full of "Gunk" that's roughly 50% distilled water, 40% matte medium, 10% flow improver. Then I just add a number of drops to the paint based on how thinned i want it.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

krushgroove posted:

I'll do an effortpost when I get the time, but basically compressors are like airbrushes - you get what you pay for. The cheap Chinese compressors without tanks will overheat and eventually break, when depends on how much you use them. You can extend the life of them by paying more for one with a tank but again they will eventually break. The companies that sell them online buy them by the containerload and don't bother to do repairs on them, they just scrap the bad ones or the returns and send out a new boxed one. These are the ones that are $/£80-100.

If you're planning to be airbrushing for a while (meaning, continue airbrushing for a few years or more), the more you can spend, up to and over $/£200-300, you can be pretty assured the compressor will last for as long as you want to airbrush. Pay over 300 or so and you can have the compressor for decades and pass it onto your kids.

It's kind of like the old craftman's mantra of: Cheap, Quick and Good - you can only pick two...with compressors and airbrushes, you can pick Cheap, Good and Support (as in spares, etc.) - you can only pick two.

How's this for a compressor?

http://www.amazon.com/Iwata-Medea-S...wata+compressor

I can definitely afford to spend more than $100, but low $200 is probably my max.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Hixson posted:

Just a heads up guys:

The Sotar 2020 is on sale on Amazon again, link

Speaking from experience, its absolutely brutal to learn how to airbrush on. But once you get the hang of it, it is an amazing brush.

What, in your experience, is so brutal about it? I bought one last year and haven't gotten a chance to use it yet (Moving, life, etc.) but knowing what it's weaknesses are going into it now would be great.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Bistromatic posted:

More 10mm Infantry. This scale is quite fun and fast to paint, three and a half days for twenty special forces guys and twelve suits from primer to finish. The very first batch of dropzone infantry was a bit wonky but i like these and the praetorians a lot.

I absolutely love well-painted 6mm/10mm infantry. It really makes everything better by locking in the scale while at the same time making it feel just as detailed and vivid as 15mm/28mm.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

PantsOptional posted:

Perfect, this was the step I had been missing. Thank you.

I have really fallen in love with off-color washing lately. I'm painting a gaggle of kobolds and goblins from an old Bones order -- I based them all yellow, and then washed the Goblins with green and the Kobolds with a red (Vallejo flesh-shade) and they both have this great hue shift to the shading. It's really helping me to understand how to incorporate color into my shading more effectively, I think.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

signalnoise posted:

New attempt, took long enough to get around to it

Here's a basecoat. Next steps are metallic on the armor, layer reddish-orange, layer a lighter brown on the brown, and I'm not entirely sure what to do with the cloth and bone. I could not for the life of me get straight lines on the rings around the horns.

Looks solid (though I think you missed some red skin on his right elbow there).

Are you doing metallics or NMM? For metallics, I tend to do those first before any other basecoats at all because my techinque involves a fair bit of drybrushing, and that way I don't have to worry about sloppy overpainting. That's a minor tweak, though, it looks like a solid base coat otherwise.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Z the IVth posted:

I've been flogging the technique in this thread for ages but only Avenging Dentist seems to have given it a go. :smith:

I think I've also heard of people using baking soda for this?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

BULBASAUR posted:

Two days ago I was cleaning minor mold lines on a resin model using an xacto chisel. It slipped and sliced the tip of my thumb nearly off. Blood squirting everywhere I ran into the kitchen to disinfect, apply pressure, and keep the bleeding to the sink. I broke out in a cold sweat and suddenly I had no idea what was going on because nothing made sense I was cold and alone. I was about to panic when I woke up on my tile floor, room spinning, blood everywhere. Later I learned I'd also given myself a minor concussion and hurt my left elbow.

I've hobbied for over 10 years and I have never hurt myself before.

Three days had gone by. The blood... it wasn't yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Are there goon approved pinks? I checked out the op for the recommended paint list and didn't see anything to that effect. We've decided on a pink/cyan scheme for an Everblight army and my old tentacle pink pot won't last.

Also, any metallic tutorials? Using P3 silver with some blue washes is still coming up pretty flat. :/

have you tried using metallic medium?