Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Coming from a guy who has a full setup, resin casting is a PITA if you're doing anything more than bits. It's time consuming and expensive to do right (silicone, vacuum chamber, pressure pot, etc) and you might come in under GW retail pricing in the end, you're going to have burned up hours of your time in the process, so, ultimately, you're going to be poorer for it.

If you're willing to invest time into something, start looking at resin SLA printers. You can find print files on Thingiverse which will save you some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I work best with deadlines. I enjoy the results of painting but not necessarily the process, so having a goal in mind is very important to me. Usually it's NOVA, although I did a lot more last year than this year (studying for my qualifying exam kind of took over my life).
Deadlines are a big motivator for me as well. I've been able to get multiple armies/gangs/whatever done because I said "These are going to Adepticon, so they must be painted!"

Max Wilco posted:

Warning: long, rambling post ahead...
words

Airbrushing will certainly take the pain out of basecoating an entire army, though as you stated, there is upkeep on the brush. However, you're going to be saving a ton of time when you get the process down.

One of the things you mention is that you're really hating is edge highlighting, so here's a hot take: just don't do it. If you hate it that much, don't bother. Do your shading and some highlighting and call it a day. Your BAs will look more than tabletop ready, so don't kill yourself doing something you hate. Bonus tip: once you start airbrushing, do some preshading/zenthal highlighting and edge highlighting will be superfluous.

Something else to consider: If you're feeling burned out, put the BAs down and pick something else up. Just look for a model that you think looks cool and go at it. I'm doing a lot of Warhammer Underworlds stuff lately, and it's a nice palate cleanser from Epic and Warmaster, which is what I'm usually painting. It is also a great opportunity to play with Contrast paints, since I'm dealing with a lot of organic forms.

Speaking of Contrasts, they're nice to play with, and some are definitely time savers (flesh colors, Snakebite Leather) but others are so-so in my opinion and are really just thin paints that don't speed up your process at all (BA Red, Cygor Brown.) They are not necessarily a huge time-saver, and like any other tool, you need to experiment with them and learn how they will help your process. Do not expect them to be a magic bullet, and I would avoid them on any sort of flat surfaces (Marine armor, for example.)

In your post, you mention that red is a "hard color to paint." I don't find that to be the case - what is your process? Are you using the proper primer/base color? What reds are you using? Do you have a photo? There are a ton of great painters here - I'm sure someone can offer you some advice.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Xposting from the WHU thread.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Got some decent pics of noted 60's do-wop band, Garrek and the Reavers

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm gonna shill for the GW water cup - you will never mistake it for a drinking device. It also has the added bonus of a wide base and narrow top, so it's next to impossible to knock over. I like it a lot more than my old water mug or jar.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Nerd cemetery is going to be a Superfund site.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Before the perm.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Hixson posted:

Put some paint on a couple Zone Mortalis tiles this weekend:

I love this.

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Did not post here for years, but I did not stop with painting. Been adding more and more figures to my BB gobbos, as well as doing other BB figures (and other non BB figures not pictured this time!).

These are some nice paint jobs! (Now just do the bases!)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Jetfire posted:

Yeah, I've been doing the wash and scrub before painting. I'll try Krylon or AP next, thanks thread.

Is AP's Skeleton Bone primer similar enough to Wraithbone? Was looking for a cheaper alternative to the GW version with the same warm colour.

IMO AP paints are inconsistent garbo. I don't know if you're just looking for a color match, but I'm not sure if the AP is going to be smooth enough for Contrasts, if that's your ultimate goal.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Electric Hobo posted:

Yeah, I figured that I'd be wearing a mask just in case, but the pigments should be sucked into the filter.

I don't vent outside. You'll be fine. Just make sure you change out your filter on a regular basis.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
You can thin the paint opacity, but you can't really increase it. if you can actually see your base color through three layers, unless you're glazing or something, your paint is way too thin.

Metallics are affected by the color under them though, so maybe that's what your seeing? Like Leadbelcher over black is going to look different than if you put it over white.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Stynylrez either needs to be thinned A LOT or you switch to Vallejo. I have issues with Stynylrez to the point where I now just grab the Vallejo, add a couple of drops of flow improver, and spray away for an hour or two without issue.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cinara posted:

Biggest thing I notice with primer when spraying more than one model is dry tip, keep that clear and it solves a ton of common issues.

Constant modulation is also a good thing to pick up. it's a literal paint in the trigger finger, but going full throttle is a great way to run into clogs and dry tip constantly.

Yeast posted:

99% of airbrushing work can be accomplished with a .4 needle.

Somewhere along the line painters got to a weird place where they assumed the smaller the needle the better they could be with it, so all bought .2 and .15 needles.

I was using a cheapo Master with a .4 the other night, and was picking out zenithal details pretty drat well. It's a matter of controlling your paint and pressure and being cognizant of how your paint is coming out of your brush. I've tried a .2 in that (admittedly not good) brush and have problems shooting ink, let alone paint. a .3 or above is definitely sufficient for 99% of painters out there, unless you're like Marco who can paint facial details with his.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I think the problem with stynylrez is that it can be inconsistent. I'm wondering if different batches have different viscosities or if a bottle that's been sitting around for say a year might start to lose some liquid, becoming thicker and harder to spray.

I mean mine seems okay? But the other night I just could not get it to go through an airbrush at all. Again though, I had zero problem with Vallejo.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yep, Badger had switched suppliers for one ingredient used in Stynylrez, and the quality went to poo poo for a year or two during Covid. Increased clogging, and a very pebbly texture when applied. They've switched back to the original supplier of the ingredient, and people are reporting fresh batches of Stynylrez are back to their former greatness.

This also affected some batches of Ammo One-Shot Primer, which is just rebranded Stynylrez.

Interesting - good to know.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

There is actually edible airbrush paint that is amazing for doing cake decorating, so you can eat that. That being said, I might have a seperate airbrush just for that.

Edit:Although you still wouldn't want to inhale it. On the other hand some of them are made using vodka as a base, so who knows!?

I know you're being facetious, but it's not the toxicity of what you're spraying, it's the fact that lungs aren't made to handle particulates. Even in edible paints, there is particulate matter that is going to cause damage to your lungs if inhaled. Airbrushes also ensure the particulates are extremely fine, which means your built in particulate filters (i.e. nose hairs) aren't gonna stop them. Even non-toxic acrylics are bad for you to inhale - people freak out about airbrushing oils, but have no problem snorting acrylics in a poorly ventilated environment.

Also, you don't necessarily need to vent your airbrush station outside - that's more for odor control more than anything else. If you have a decent fan and good filter that is replaced on the regular, you should be good.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pierzak posted:

Why would the filter matter if it's getting piped outside the window anyway? Or are you talking about the breathing mask filter?

Your airbrush station filter. If you're just blowing outside, then I suppose you don't need a filter, but you're going to potentially be blowing wet paint out your window to collect on your sill or whatever is out there in the path.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Thanks! I was wondering how to build the Valkyrie and not back myself into a corner with the hull interior, but at the same time, I really prefer to build and then prime and paint.

Oh does anyone have an army painter set recommendation for something this will cover a lot of stuff for painting Space Marines and IG Units or just 40K in general.

It’s just a lot of the sets have huge coupons currently on Amazon and same day or next day shipping and you know gift card burning hole in my pocket, but mostly because I don’t want to have to constantly keep buying paint pots here and there because I need a new color, well at least less frequently then I am now.

Might not be a popular suggestion, but Army Painter paints aren't good. They can be very inconsistent, I've had two cans of primer literally blow up (they were stored indoors, thankfully in a box), and the consistency, in my experience, can be grainy. If you don't want to go GW (mostly good paints, but the pots suck) take a look at Vallejo.

As for sets, I would also recommend against them for the most part - there will always be colors you don't use, so you'll waste money and paint (I bought a Vallejo set 15 years ago, and still haven't ever used some paints); and no set is probably going to fully cover what you want to do. I would figure out what colors you need for your specific project (don't use too many! try to keep your scheme simple, unless you're painting for a competition) and go from there. Sets seem like a great idea, but unless you really like to get into the weeds, they wind up costing you a lot of money for fringe colors.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Bad Faith Effort posted:

Army Painter is absolutely just Rustoleum\Krylon though
No, Krylon is good.

Aranan posted:

I've used a few cans of wraithbone spray primer and it has always worked really well for me. I know it's a premium over grabbing a can at Home Depot or whatever, but it's always worked well for me, I'm in the game store more than Home Depot, the price difference isn't extreme, and I am quite lazy.

Edit: now I use an airbrush so I'll probably just do black primer with white ink whenever I get around to priming things that aren't gloss black.

Wraithbone is probably the only GW primer that I would recommend over Krylon. It's just too good of a base for almost everything, albeit extremely expensive. But yeah, if you've got an airbrush, black with a zenithal white will do just about the same thing, along with also giving you a nice shading layer.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Speaking of red primer, I'm about to paint my first Ork jet, and naturally I'm painting it red. I've seen some talk about red being a tough color to spray down on bare plastic. Should I do a black base first then the red on top?

Yeah, if you're using rattlecan, you're probably not going to be able to spray thin enough for the prime white/black/whatever to make a difference, and you're very likely to obscure all of your detail, since rattlecans aren't finesse tools.

If airbrush, you can either do what Bucnasti recommends, or you can prime with a red-brown (Vallejo makes one) and just paint on top of that. If you're not going to do modulation or any sort of lighting effect using white on black, I would avoid straight red over straight black, since it's going to be tough for that red, since it's semi-transparent and will allow the undercoat to show through. If you spray direct on black, especially with an airbrush, you're going to get a duller, maybe even muddy, red. Muted isn't a bad thing, but if you want to do any weathering or anything, it's usually better to start bright and tone down.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
A lot of people use rattlecans like a shovel, though, because they don't know how to properly distance the can or move when spraying. And, tbf, rattlecans aren't great for zenithal - they work, but you really have to be in an ideal location (like a garage) with next to no wind where you can do quick, controlled dustings. If you have that, awesome - use it to your advantage. Most people I know of really aren't that lucky though. It's also dependent on the product - Krylon works great for me, and Rustoleum seems to go on way too heavy and obscures everything every time I've used it.

But again, I'm just speaking from my personal experience.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Airbrushing this long does seemingly make the tip of my pointer finger completely numb, so I'm wondering if I should just get that Iwata airbrush with the trigger instead, and if that would help what seems to be some "median nerve" issues I'm noticing.
Happens to me too. I think the standard airbrush is going to offer more control, so I just deal with the numb finger. I'm pretty sure (at least with me) it's not a sign of a nerve issue - you're doing something you don't usually do, and your body is reacting.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I do still want to try loading the airbrush up with some watered down metallics and using that to do the base coat of some of these models because that seems like it'd be a good use of time.
Watering down metallics is going to cause them to separate, so you might want to look into metallics that are specifically designed for airbrushing. The Vallejo Metal Colors are supposed to be good - I picked up the aluminum and it brushes on like a dream, though I haven't tried it in my airbrush.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Where do you guys like to buy them? Mini Market seems out of stock of everything except "Jet Exhaust" and "Gold" which might be fine for necron base coating

(Not really concerned about my whole army matching with necrons tbqh. You could just argue they were stuck in the ground somewhere and the ground discolored the metal or whatever. Or, something with the waking-up process futz up and the colors changed from model to model)

I got mine from Amazon, because I was in a rush. It was about a buck more than the place Cinara recommended, but shipping was free.

Eej posted:

Fwiw the Metal Color line tints extremely well with acrylic ink. Either mix it in directly or spray on top and you can get a metallic of any colour you want.
Yeah, I want to give this a try at some point - I've seen it on Marco's channel (iirc) and it looked great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Verisimilidude posted:

WIP on this Magmadroth. Gonna spend some time thinking on if I need to change anything with this guy, and in the meantime move onto the rider.
Goddamn that's a sweet paint job.