Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I was quite sad to see the two links to the 'recommended starting/picking-back-up kit' stuff on Reaper in the OP have apparently expired. Was there some updated version of that? I'm far enough along at this point that I'm actively clearing out space for small mans, possibly wildly underestimating the necessary scope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cease to Hope posted:

the OP is from 2015 and the poster hasn't posted in years. we could probably do with a new thread. i could just make one.
Seems fair. I have the advantage of having done this poo poo before, I just don't have any of the tools any more, although I do already have hobby snips I got for assembling Gunpla models. However, at the time I also had a FLGS where I was doing some semi-public work in their 'build and paint here, friends!' workbench area, which meant if I realized 'oh I need a file' I could either briefly use the store's kit or go pay $5-$10 for what I want.

Though I did look up actual FLGSeses in my area. Do Warhammer/Games Workshop outlets give you any poo poo if you work outside of the James Workshop Approved Equipment, or is it more 'don't expect them to hold a WMH tournament'

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cease to Hope posted:

your gunpla snips are fine. probably nicer than the ones most wargamers use. i am just working on a beginner/intermediate/advanced tool list right now.

GW stores really depend on the manager. non-GW models and non-GW paints are the diciest things in their spaces but i've never been to one where the manager was so neurotic that he cared about your knife or drill or whatever when coming in on hobby day.
Yeah, I figure they're not going to have non-GW products, outside of possible niche utility items. Maybe I'll scope out both and check the vibe

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Eej posted:

Gunpla snips are good. The only other stuff you need is a hobby knife to clean up snipped gates (you can just the back to scrape mould lines), Tamiya Extra Thin plastic glue, any super glue of your choice (for 3d printed bits, resin models or gluing minis to terrain if you are doing more elaborate basing) and optionally a hobby pin vise to drill gun barrels and holes for pins and magnets.
I got a bottle of Citadel plastic glue at the FLGS along with my new Sororitas collection. Now I'm shopping for a good starter paint kit - other than the core sororitas colors I was thinking of working in some copper-tarnish green or similar hue. I'm guessing I want black primer but if there's a range of like eight to ten paint pots that would probably do me I'd appreciate it!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

So how the gently caress does the Citadel plastic glue even work. What is this xenos artifact

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Shoehead posted:

It melts the plastic slightly and that dries into a bond. I used to melt polystyrene planes with it, probably wasn't good for my brain
Yeah I get that I mean how does one open the bottle and use it lol

It clearly has some kind of applicator tip thing going on

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Shoehead posted:

Without it melting the plastic of the bottle you mean? It only melts and bonds certain plastics.
I mean how do you open and close it to apply glue to the minis, lol. I was old enough to just get a five buck packet of superglue and use that, but I was working long enough ago that most of the minis were metal.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Eej posted:

The thin metal tube is the applicator and you just dab it it against two pieces that are pressed together and it will melt the plastic together.

Tamiya Extra Thin Cement has a brush applicator that can also be used to dab into gaps with capillary action and that's why it's more highly recommended.
Oh so it's more like the thing on the top is something you dunk into the glue to gather some up, then wipe it on the bits before pressing them together? Not like a dribble tube?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

You hold the bits together and drag the brush along them and the glue flows into the gap and welds the pieces together into a single one.
If I fuse the nun to my misshapen digits I will blame myself or god

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

hoiyes posted:

Did your metal applicator get stuck inside the lid instead of attached to the actual bottle like mine? I can see how that would make the use confusing.
I have not even opened it, the shape was just terrifying me in its alien design. Am I lifting the thing with the metal wire out to brush on glue, or is it like I'd be squeezing down the metal wire to drip it into the cracks?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Oh boy! I bet I shouldn't breathe THAT stuff!

Beffer posted:

It's a tube, and in my experience it clogs up the whole loving time. When it does, run a flame along the metal, the dried glue burns off with a lovely plume of black smoke, and the tube usually starts flowing again.

After a few months, chuck it in the bin and get a normal bottle of plastic glue (like Tamiya) that comes with a brush applicator. Or don't chuck it in the bin, transfer the glue into a normal bottle with a brush applicator.
Sounds like a plan!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I ordered about seventy bucks worth of paint off of Monument so hopefully it will be good stuff!! It's not gonna get here til March anyway, Oh Well.

Gives me time to assemble the girls! Behold!

Inefficiency itself and with several notable gaps that I'll either have to work around or just accept, but the first miniature I've assembled since the first Obama administration. Thanks, goons! I didn't need that money anyway!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Shoehead posted:

Oh gently caress I totally misunderstood what you were asking, I'm sorry
No problem, haha! Now that I tried it makes sense, it was just cryptic and there was literally no explanation on the cardboard for it. I actually like it way better, even if hitting it with my Martha Stewart lighter in the future seems kind of spooky.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I should probably get a varnish or something as well as a pin drill for serious engineering, right? Or something to put on top once the kits are 'done' and Idon't want to gently caress around with the paints no more.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

SiKboy posted:

Pin vise is super handy to have in general, I use it a lot when basing to make sure those fuckers arent going anywere, and occasionally when putting figures together (particularly metal models). Varnishing is a matter of taste. Some people dont bother at all, I'd say most people do, both for protection and to unify the finish (especially if you are using a mix of different brands paints, so have some satiny finishes, some matte). Personally I give everything a coat or two of gloss for protection, then matte because I prefer that finish, all with rattlecans. More or less any clear varnishes will do. Or you can buy pots and brush or airbrush on, but I'm cheap, lazy and have access to an outdoor area for spraying so aerosol can of cheap car lacquer is coat 1, then whatever matte varnish.
I ordered a drill but this pin vise is new. I was having success just holding the figure in place for 2m then if necessary moving it to the kitchen with the exhaust fan to cure. I did throw in some double sided tape for securing the minis on scraps of cardboard for priming. I don’t have an official Crafts Space at my place but I am confident I can use some scrap cardboard as a backstop for priming spray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Decorus posted:

A pin vise is a small handheld manual drill (it holds the drill bit). Just clarifying, since it seemed like you might be talking about the kind of vise that holds objects to a work bench while you work on them.
Oh okay. Yeah I thought people were talking about a thing to hold the mini itself.