Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Is there a way to wash or highlight metallic gold? I'm trying for the brightest gold I can get, so I used a white primer with a basecoat of GW Auric Armor Gold. It just looks so yellow. Its for a slightly rounded section of a robot that has some inscriptions. I want the whole thing gold, but how do I get those inscriptions to pop without making them a separate color?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Beginner question: How do I make a wash out of a Citadel base color?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Is there a Citadel match for PP Coal Black, or is this something I'll have to mix up?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I bought a pot of citadel Maccragge Blue and I'm really confused. This came out basically purple to my eyes. I'm trying to build to an Ultramarine Space Marine color, and this just seems really dark on top of a black primer. I feel like I should have started with their Altdorf Blue.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I'm having a lot of trouble with Citadel's Troll Slayer Orange. I can't seem to get an even coat, no matter the water dilution I use. Does matte medium or Flo aid make this better.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
People who use slate at a basing material: How in the heck do you mount a mini on that?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Is there a recommended putty for gap filling? I see Green Stuff being named all the time, but that almost seems like a catch-all for modeling putty. Is there any real difference between that stuff and any other 2-part epoxy?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Hairspray paint chipping question:

Let's say that I lay down a black primer first (and letting that cure for a few days), then applying the hairspray. Would using a Krylon paint+primer rattle can on top of that be permeable enough to chip afterwards?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Does anyone have a link to the album that a goon did with the retro 90's style Ultramarines? I can't think of any keywords to find that again.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I've decided that I hate grey airbrush primer. I can't tell where I've covered a model at all.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

Squinting while painting is wrecking my eyes.

I think it is mostly due to the lighting and not proximity, so what kind of lamp am i looking for to improve this? Like what amount of Kelvin? I think Kelvin is the parameter to look for when deciding on a lamp for this scenario?

I have a typical desk lamp, but I have a 5K 100W-equivalent LED bulb that I found on Amazon for like $6. Its the best, in my opinion.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

Eej posted:

Stopped by the art store today and they had some Winson and Newton Series 7 available (yay!) and they had a size 0 for 30% off Clearance (yay!) because it was a display model (oh)

Gave it a dip in water and some brush cleaner

It started separating when it dried so I just gave it another clean hopefully I can recondition it back to good health

Is that even fixable?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

ro5s posted:

Actually remembering to crosspost over for once :v:

What is your secret to good looking grass?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

ro5s posted:

I don’t do anything fancy, it’s just javis static grass, pva on the base where I want it and dunk the whole thing in the bag. For something big like the exocrine it’s similar, glue on a section, dump some grass on, shake off the excess then on to the next bit.

So you don't use one of those expensive static grass gadgets?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Slaanesh daemons playable / worth playing as a 40k faction now?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Could anyone suggest a less pricey alternative or substitute to the AK products line of grime enamels, please?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I had something similar with my 105. I sent an email to Badger trying to explain what the problem was, and they recommended me mailing it in for troubleshooting & repair, which I did. They ended up sending me a new airbrush after about 3 1/2 weeks. I was ok with that.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Airbrush talk: white ink layers on top of a black primer? Does it go on opaquely or does it take a bunch of coats?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

Liquitex at least is pretty opaque, and also leaves a nice smooth transition to black

So for example, I'm painting some classic green Striking Scorpions. Starting with a black primer (I have Vallejo surface black and Stynelrez black gloss, which is better for inks?), I can layer the Liquitex Green ink directly onto the black? For highlights and transitions, I can slowly add Liquitex Yellow ink into the mix?

edit: Also, any differences noted between the brands: Liquitex, Daler-Rowney, Dr. Ph Martin?

SERPUS fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 20, 2020

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Does purple work as an undershade for yellow? I know that everyone says use white, orange, or pink... but I swear that I saw a youtube vid where someone was layering yellows onto a purple base shade.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Looking for some yellow advice.

Considering that I'm airbrushing, do either of the following present either a better overall finish or a ease of painting?

1. Prime brown, white preshade, layered yellow
2. Prime white, layered yellow, brown shading

The goal is a sort of Imperial Fist-esque, grimdark look after chipping & weathering, but I want to make sure that I get the base color done properly.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
How did I do, Dad?

[timg]https://imgur.com/aE99eiR[/timg]

Just realized that I can see greenstuff where I magnetized the arms. Ugh!

Dang how do I maked thumbnail

SERPUS fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 28, 2021

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Has anyone cracked the recipe for a not-$10-for-0.6-ounces of Citadel's Contrast Medium? I have tried both Liquitex Glazing Medium and Matte Medium, and both come out far too think. I've been using Liquitex Airbrush Medium to try to thin it down, but it just doesn't seem the same.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
This is a long-shot, but I need some help with chipping. I'm using the hairspray method. I do about two coats of hairspray, then let that dry. Next, I airbrush my top coat over that and let it dry. When I start paintbrush chipping with water, my chips end up being huge and sometimes the whole airbrush layer starts to lift off and peel away. What am I doing wrong?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

midwinter minis is funny when his girlfriend gets involved and spends the entire video complaining about how much she hates 40k and painting and everything to do with the hobby

She always seems like she's teetering on just moving out. I can't tell if its sarcasm or a cry for help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Trying some new techniques with this one:

Primed Grey
Stippled on dark grey, then light grey, then white with some torn up foam
Agrax earthshade in deep recesses
Highly watered down Troll Slayer Orange for rusty effects.

https://imgur.com/d5SPjKc

How do I make this image just show up in the thread?