Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

I'm a masochist, so I toiled through the grind on Karl to get the Königsberg.

It is amazing.

It feels like a mini-Cleveland with lots of torps instead of god-AA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Königsberg is good. Just don't use HE.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Rorac posted:

Kongo is the best battleship.

Kongo is awesome.
Speaking of awesome battleships.. I just finished grinding Colorado. This was a chore, but the payoff was SO worth it.

First game in my shiny new NC.

Pseudophile fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 29, 2015

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

So, the module Gun Fire Control system only increases range at cost to dispersion, right?

Given IJN bb's already good range, would not mounting it in order to keep the guns more accurate be a decent idea, or does it affect more hidden stats that don't display with alt?

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

wdarkk posted:

The dispersion goes up because it's measured at maximum range, whatever that is. Your dispersion at any particular distance is the same.

Makes sense, thanks.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Had a really awesom Farragut game where everything just kinda clicked.

I gunned down a cruiser at one point, then immediately torped a BB.. that hit just before he fired. Good thing, I had 94 health at the end of it.
From there, I gunned down the CV beyond detection range, and got the game ending torp strike on the final BB after he managed to finally knock me out.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Hazdoc posted:

I think I'm gonna make a fire damage guide soon. There's a lot of people who seem to not understand how to use DDs and CAs to do meaningful damage to BBs, hopefully I can shed some light on how to maximize your potential damage.

Please do this.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

MoraleHazard posted:

I'm glad I spent 12 bucks on the Murmansk. It's good for training ny Ruski dd captains and is a great premium. I went 1v1 against a Furutaka and beat it handily.

Pure DD vodka swilling officer on the Murmansk is hilarious.

I think you can get detection range down to something silly like 11.5km or something close to that, so by the time some enemy DD detects you, you can go ahead and pop acoustic search, burn them down while charging into torp range and hitting targets of opportunity before disappearing into the fog(I know, no smoke). Between the officer skill and the module, torp reload is at a comfortable 60s.

Murmansk as a fat DD is amazingly fun, try it.

Pseudophile fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 31, 2015

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

I finally unlocked the Kiev today!

I'm pretty much at T7 with everything, I do have an NC and I recently finished grinding the Pensacola for the New Orleans. I've been focusing mainly on US ships and guns.

http://warships.today/player/1016009283/na/Faustfick

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

I had quite a good time playing with other guys in Discord tonight. Highly recommended.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Bayern is fun. Secondaries are fantastic, hoping the Gneisenau gives the same satisfaction.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Generally speaking, what are the decent mods now? They've integrated pretty much everything I used Aslains for in the past into the base game.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Took the Kiev out for a spin.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

I love cruisers that get close and go broadside to my insignificant Kiev.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Prepping for the line split, and grinding damage for the anime botes.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

If this is your first season playing Ranked, can you still get a Flint?

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Idianapolis and arizona both discounted this weekend. Are either worth picking up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIZgFDI2A_0
Indianapolis is one of my favorite ships. If you can sling AP into battleship superstructure, you can do absurd amounts of damage. It's not uncommon to see 5k+ volleys this way.
It also has radar, at tier seven.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Only in ranked can you have a Kraken/High Caliber/Confederate game and your team yells at you for not doing enough.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

I went from rank 8 to 11 today. Something like 12-13 losses in a row. Discouraging.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

I've been on the fence for a long time about the Atago, since I have a few premiums already.

I'm really glad they offered the Takao, because wow. The grind was worth it. Even the stupid camo and voice is worth it.

-e- Now I have to level up this schoolgirl, I need to see this thing with Concealment Expert.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

evil_cheese posted:

I finally unlocked the new anime ship thing, the atago clone. How in the world do i play this thing? It handles so differently then the aoba/pensacola/koingberg, which are my other high teir cruisers. Do i spam HE at battle ships?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUrTnhIzuBg

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

All hail Shinyhorse.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Just had a team that did everything wrong.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

I feel like I'm starting to get the Ibuki, using it like a longer ranged Atago. Supporting the BB line and setting other BBs on fire with 5k volleys from 20km, over a mountain.

I'm midway to the Zao now, very excited to get there. Any tips for either ship, playstyle quirks that might not be common knowledge?

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Blinks77 posted:

60 battles. 80% win rate.

...I think something about the Bismarck has just "clicked" with me. Never had as much joy with the Tirpitz. It's all about the Hydro and secondaries.

I trained up a second Bismarck captain with concealment expert instead of manual secondaries as the T5 captain skill. Your detection drops to 12.3km with camo and the module, which does wonders for making cruisers and DDs poo poo their pants when you suddenly appear out of nowhere and start spewing HE in your 11km zone of death.

This also has the benefit of letting you put nasty salvos on broadside ships that have no idea you're in the sweet spot until you open up.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Applying to [DONGS] as Faustfick

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

UNCUT is now a thing.

Pseudophile fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 21, 2017

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

It is fascinating how quickly pubbies are picking up that infamous HE spamming shups are to be killed quickly thanks to ifhe. It didn't take them as long as I expected for the learning to reach them.

Shinyhorse with IFHE is flat out BRUTAL. Once I'm around 10km, I start slinging AP but it's really satisfying to get multiple citadels on a cruiser from a long range HE volley.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Hazdoc posted:

Just call me the Pubbie Whisperer.
Rank 7, 2 stars. The Belfast is some hot bullshit.

That was me, I blew all my compliments after you wrecked our potato team.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Well. Logged in after the patch to notice my name has been changed to RenamedUser.

Someone found Faustfick to be offensive. Suggestions for a new name to go along with UNCUT?

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Support has made their decree: Faustfick is dead, long live Sparkledancer.

Sigh.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Fick" is German for "gently caress." "Faust" is not only a book by Goethe but German for "fist." He named himself "Fistfuck."

And it somehow went unnoticed for two years!

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

I haven't really been active a lot here or on the discord, though I have been keeping up and playing now and then.

Made it to 9 last season, hopefully I can bang my head against a brick wall long enough to rank out.

Sparkledancer in game, some of you have played with me before I think.

I'm 150k ish away from Des Moines. I really like the Baltimore, the New Orleans was good as well. I like US cruisers, you lose torps but gain great concealment, fantastic AA, and that amazing AP cannot be overstated. It hits hard. Radar is .. radar. Use it. Pray your team notices you used it. I got through the Pensacola before the buffs, and it really taught me a lot about how to position myself and mitigate the punishment you take for making mistakes. Then I got the Indy when it came out, and it just felt like what the Pensacola should have been. Now I'm kinda spoiled by the Baltimore.

I'm really looking forward to the Des Moines, the videos I've watched make it seem so drat fun.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

MikeC posted:

So you understand that bouces mean that they are angled right? If they are bouncing and its broadside then it means they are skipping off the deck or gun mounts.

That is a aiming error, not the shells being bad

Whatever the mod is that shows your target's angle? That thing is a godsend.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

TheFluff posted:

Cruisers are cool and good.

I'm playing a fair bit of Indy alongside a friend who just got the Pensacola. He's learning the wonders of American AP.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

NA players, I have clan space available if the main fleets are full. UNCUT has 20 slots to fill. I'm usually on the discord and willing to go a round or two.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

MikeC posted:

Invite Mikec_81. Me farm you oil long time. My clan tab is broken, one of the sad lot who are experiencing this problem that WG doesn't seem to intend to fix. Sent a request via web portal

Invite sent.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

I just finished La Gal and stepped into the Algerie.

The Algerie is really nice, a solid upgrade. I've had a bunch of games where it didn't feel like I did much, then it ends and I've done well over 100k.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

TheFluff posted:

The La Galissonniere is essentially a poor imitation of the Budyonny. The Nürnberg, Budyonny and Galissonniere all have nine 15cm guns, but where the Nürnberg has a 6 second reload and the Budyonny has 8, the Galissonniere has 9. The guns are otherwise very similar to the Budyonny's (same fire chance and damage on both AP and HE) but with slightly worse ballistics and almost a kilometer less range. The Galissonniere also has worse concealment than the Budyonny, only slightly more agile, only 0.6 knots faster with the speed boost (without it, it does a pretty miserable 31 knots), and of course it has worse armor and less HP. The only thing it's actually better at is turret traverse and medium/short range AA (<=3.5km base range) and I guess the torpedo range, but with only two torps per side you're really not going to hit much.

It's a stinker, but the Algerie is a great salve for getting through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

MikeC posted:

Can whoever runs UNCUT please start unlocking the +xp bonuses rather than the ship discounts?

edit: any tips and tricks on Aoba? Just bought it. C Hull Furataka was bearable but 15s reloads are atrocious. 11s reloads are a bit better but only 6 guns............

Sorry about that, those were unlocked before the big recruitment drive. I was going to ask if people wanted the XP bonus or the service cost buildings.