Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking forward to the German cruisers with 11 inch guns. Those are going to be either the best cruisers, or the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
When's the closed alpha ship being handed out? Not till release, I assume.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This is really fun and I can't wait to see it make Navy Field go down like the Lusitania.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mazz posted:

I really want to play this but I hadn't paid attention to the WoT thread or the news for this in weeks/months so now I'm stuck reading posts getting sad.

Was there any benefits of being a WoT beta tester or anything?

Us beta testers got a unique Sherman variant, that's about it.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The Aoba can actually do considerably better than 10-- mouse over your FCS for the exact range. The top FCS lets you shoot at 14.9km.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Don't all the Japanese heavy cruisers literally have the same guns up to tier x?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

demonR6 posted:

If you know anything about Wargmaing their history with providing a good connection is loving terrible. Case in point, Telia and World of Tanks with Telia being a god-awful shitpile of a choice to route their traffic. I have zero faith in WG to get this right. None. Zilch.

Shut the gently caress up you enormous sperg.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How are you jerks getting gold in the first place?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Artless Meat posted:

Alpha testers got some gold.

gently caress no they didn't, I was an alpha tester and I didn't get poo poo other than the ship.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
welp

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Vengarr posted:

Make sure you got the up-to-date version. The latest version uses a different algorithm or something and is much more accurate. It does take shell velocity and vertical movement into effect.

Link please? Post it in PGS or something.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

James Garfield posted:

:laffo:

The official forum is really poo poo and probably worse than the tanks official forum but at least it's entertaining not really

Pretty sure that's a gimmick account. The entire thing is a character from the PSP RPG Fate/Extra.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

hopterque posted:

Have you seen his posts because uh...

I never read posts on the official forums.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's another :japan: thing.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The thing to do with the Kawachi is to avoid enemy battleships and instead try to get into slugfests with cruisers, which it utterly ruins.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I love running into a St. Louis when I'm in a battleship, since battleship HE shells do horrible things to them.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Who are you useless shits that have a hard time hitting things in a battleship? It's not rocket science. Hold down alt while you're zoomed to see the flight time for your shells and then aim accordingly.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So is the Tirpitz any good?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to get, and use, one of those anime ships, and it's going to make many people mad.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Literally 4km from two different carriers that I've set on fire, with my torps about to reload, and some pubbie dickbag on my team fires torps too while I'm broadside and hits me, but not any of the carriers, allowing them to get away :argh:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The Alaska probably fits best as a T8 premium or something.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Minenfeld! posted:

Wasn't that the point of reactivating the Missouri during the Gulf War? I'd imagine that a Missouri could take a beating from missiles.

Nope. Even lovely missiles tear right through any reasonable amount of armor, because they come in at such a high speed that they just smash right through it. They also come from above too, and heavily armoring the deck of a ship is problematic.

During WWII, the Germans hosed up 3 big ships with early radio controlled cruise missiles and their armor did nothing whatsoever to stop it.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Is the Tirpitz worth the 12500 gold?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blindeye posted:

So, coming back to this game, are CVs fun to play/useful to drive? If so, US or IJN line?

Fun is questionable, and only the US line is worth anything.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So what's up with that 50 gold camo you can put on any ship? Does that +100% XP really apply to everything? That seems like it would be even better than an actual premium ship :stare:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I can't hit poo poo at long range so I've just been running up to cruisers in my Kongo and facefucking them with HE.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Ahahaha I just sunk two battleships with the same torp spread

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Well, what do you know. I got frustrated by trying to poke poo poo at 20km with my Kongo and have just completely abandoned all discretion and waded into brawls swinging. Results: 4 different ram kills tonight and I've consistently been getting 30-40k damage a game, minumum.

Turns out the key to doing well in this game is to either be a supersperg with perfect aim... or a complete lunatic :v:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I got the ARP Kirishima :toot: Also the Fuso, which I will use to grind the other one.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I shoot AP at destroyers all the time. Even if you only deal 1000-2000 damage, that's still a fairly large hit for one.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I have been doing more damage with torps in my Furutaka than I do in a destroyer :psyduck:

It seems like about 50% of the time battleships just don't notice the heavy cruiser running up to them and farting out a spread of torps.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Oh my god this battle was so close. About halfway through, all our DDs and some of our screens were gone, and the enemy had all three caps. Me, a Kongo, and a Cleveland proceeded to gently caress up the entire rest of the enemy team, it was so amazing. The Cleveland especially had less than 10 hitpoints left at the end, and I managed to win three close range duels in a row with two Kongos and a New Mexico. We somehow managed to keep resetting their points gauge by getting kills at the perfect time and then managed to cap them out 1000-989. :aaa:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The Aoba's fine, it's a better Furutaka. You just need to remember your turrets don't rotate as fast.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

El Disco posted:

Just watched a NY and Atlanta on my team loving cower in a corner in fear because an enemy Omaha was...running away from them shooting. The Atlanta was at full health. I hate the players in this game so much. :cripes:

That's pretty pitiful. Even in a battleship I am wary of Atlantas, since they can set me all the way on fire and there's jack poo poo I can do about it unless I get lucky and citadel them instantly.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Sailed up the middle on Two Brothers in my new Nagato and promptly blew up the Independence that happened to be crossing in front of the entrance on the enemy side :pwn:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Don't try that against a Nagato :madmax:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm finally starting to get the hang of hitting enemy destroyers semi consistently with HE from a cruiser. Now if I could just do it with a BB :negative:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Tell me how to use the Myoko without getting owned :negative:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TheFluff posted:

It's much like with other cruisers with no smoke and lovely concealment - you must always be aware of what every enemy battleship within 15km of you is doing and where their guns are pointing. Yes, this is pretty much impossible, but you have to try. Your reload is long enough to give you time to look around between each salvo.

Your instinct as a cruiser player is probably to try to use your DPM and shoot things constantly. For many cruisers this is the right thing to do, but in the Myoko and the Atago this usually isn't an optimal strategy. The shell arcs are fairly flat so it's hard to find islands to sit behind and spam like you can with the Cleveland for example, and the reload is fairly long. Instead you have great alpha, fire chance and accuracy, so what you want to do when fighting battleships is to stay at a fairly respectable distance (preferably in stealth, but this is hard to do with the Myoko before you have a 15-point captain), wait until your intended target is distracted with something else, and then open up on him. If he starts pointing his turrets at you, angle away, stop shooting and he'll soon get bored with you and/or you'll re-stealth.

Another trap with the Myoko is the lovely turret firing angles, especially on #4 (IIRC). If you're fighting someone who's shooting back, don't even try to unmask all of your turrets - you will get citadelled. Run away, throw some torps behind you to discourage him from following and unmask your badly placed turrets only if you know he won't be shooting back at you for a little bit.

Oh and you can't brawl with it at all. The Atago is great at brawling but the Myoko is pretty hopeless. The turret traverse is absolutely glacial, you can't fire torps forward, you only have like four guns that can actually fire forward and your armor is rear end. That being said if you do get to shoot some cruiser scrub's broadside at close range your AP is great and you can absolutely delete them, just don't try to maneuver against them because if you have to switch your turrets over to the other side you'll be out of the fight for almost a loving minute.

The torps are good but hard to use - everyone knows you have them, you can only launch them behind you, the spread isn't very big and you will never launch them from stealth in open water. You can get great mileage out of them when playing around corners and islands, though.

It is a good ship though, you just have to divert a lot of your attention to not getting deleted.

e: oh and run defensive AA on it. You don't want to be charging into smoke clouds with it anyway so you don't really need hydro and the AA is absolute garbage so CV's love making GBS threads on you.

Ugh, it's like the complete opposite of the Aoba. No wonder I've been getting hosed up so hard. The Nagato is far easier, just apply it to enemy ships like a blunt instrument and it works well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I am nowhere near a 15 point captain on my Myoko, sadly. Part of my problem too is that I like to be very aggressive, and if everything doesn't shake out exactly right, that will get your poo poo ruined in a Myoko.

Mabye I should give DDs another shot after I finish grinding the ARP event. 19k to Takao!