Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Larf, I submitted my beta application like a couple hours ago, and a moment ago I came home from grocery shopping, checked my email, and welp

quote:

Congratulations, you have been accepted to the Closed Game Test. As a Closed Test participant, you will now take command of a fleet of legendary vessels and and hone your tactical skills in intense naval combat.

Yay botes :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
First battle: Oh god how does everything work, I have no idea what I'm doing! Oh hey there's a guy behind this island, I'm gonna flank hi- oh, match is over.

Second batte: Top score of the team after a slugging match agaainst three or four Katoris, of which I sank one and mangled two others, and survived despite all of them shooting at me. Pubbies seem to be bad at gunnery.

Also, jesus christ is there really no option to invert the mouse Y-axis? This is going to be awkward.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Prav posted:

For any first-timers, I recommend getting a St. Louis, the tier 3 american cruiser. It's got a shitload of 15 cm guns and is just a good time.
Just for the record, I followed this tip and can confirm that it's true. The St. Louis is baller as gently caress.

Also, I really like the look of these old WW 1 era ships, with their big chimneys and the dreadnought style bow.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Hmm, gonna take me a while to get the hang of the Phoenix. The speed really lets me get into more trouble I can handle with this glass jar.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Ok, I think I'm getting the hang of the Phoenix now:

This thing is freaking sweet, while it has fewer guns than the St.Louis, their layout is such and the ship is so nimble that it's pretty easy to keep laying consistent fire on target while I wiggle around between islands like a (rather big) weasel. I mostly just save the torps for those "Oh poo poo" moments or when I spot a particularly oblivious pubbie.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Actually, it's pubbies that make fleet maneuvers impossible.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

dtkozl posted:

Dial it back bro I just said less terrain not make every map open ocean.
You know what's gonna happen if they reduce the amount of islands to just a few per map? What will happen is pubbies all trying to huddle behind them in big, merry clusterfucks because there's only so many BBs that a little rock in the sea can conceal.

The maps are fine as they are.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I feel accomplished, I just had my first case of a teammate trying to TK my DD because I "stole his kill" with my torps. :allears:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

dtkozl posted:

Buddy there have been plenty of games where there have been fleet actions in open ocean and all that crap you typed didn't happen. Here are just two solutions to that, have more than one dd make smoke so there is too much area for the other team to cover all of it. Have the dds far enough ahead so the smoke obscures vision and lets the other teams line change course a bit so all those torps and shots miss by a mile.

We can go around and around like this all day. I don't understand why so many of you have a bee in your bonnet about having more map variety. If, once it is in we cant make it work then sure change it, but the fact you are so resistant to trying something new in a new game in a beta is loving crazy town.
You seem to be profoundly mistaken about what kind of games the "World of ..." games are and what their playerbase is like.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
In my Myogi, abandoned by teammates, surrounded and getting hammered to poo poo from all sides: RAMMING SPEED.
I think I was down to a couple thousand HP at most when I perfectly T-boned a full health enemy Myogi and blew us both up.

:black101:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

hopterque posted:

I unlocked the Kongo holy poo poo it's glorious.
I just got it too, and yes. Yes it is. Gives no fucks, takes no poo poo, vomits credits. Pretty solid AA, too.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Strobe posted:

I dunno what you guys who were making GBS threads on the Phoenix a few pages ago are on about. Sure I get less guns but my torpedoes murder motherfuckers. :shrug:
I really liked the Phoenix as well, after a short adjustment period.

However, I have now moved on to the Omaha and can assure you it's just plain better in just about every single way.

I don't even use the torps except when an opportunity happens by, mostly I just zip around gunning poo poo down. The gun layout is great.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I really hope WG is gonna fix this "getting permanently stuck on a cliff because your side almost kinda brushed against it" horseshit asap, because it's the loving worst. Feels like pre-physics WoT all over again.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Infidelicious posted:

lol. You're lucky they let you get close to shore at all without running aground and then flooding. tbh.
I'm talking about sheer cliffs dropping straight into the sea. They have no shores to run aground on.
And I would be totally okay with taking damage if I actually hit a cliff. I am not ok with getting permanently magnetised in place even when no part of my ship is touching anything.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I wish this game had replays, because I just had by far my best battle yet, in my Omaha. Four kills, ~150k credits and about 2,8k XP.

The first several minutes were kinda uneventful, the usual long range shootout amidst islands. I wrecked a DD but that's about it.

But then the enemy started capping, and I raced to defend. Arrived to find a DD hiding in a smokescreen and a St. Louis just arriving to speed up the cap even more. Started duking it out with the St. Louis, got some solid hits on him. The DD made the mistake of thinking I was distracted and emerged from the smoke, only to eat two of my torpedoes about three seconds before he would've finished the cap.

At this point the St. Louis disappeared into the smoke and a Myogi barged in from behind some island. I started hammering him with shells while maneuvering to torp him, but then the St. Louis came back to disrupt that. He promptly ate a full three-torp spread flush in his side, and realising I was nearly dead and couldn't turn quickly enough to torp the Myogi before his secondaries would kill me, I rammed him in the side which killed us both. Then my team mopped up the rest and we won.

gently caress, this game rules. :black101: (we need a variant of that smiley with a captain's hat or something)

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah I had a game in my Kongo where a Cleveland got a drop on me from behind an island. I got some decent hits on him, but he just tore me to loving bits with his fast firing batteries while I was struggling to turn fast enough. I think I got like half of his health, while he gunned me down to like 10 or 15% before loving off. And he didn't even use torpedoes.

Also, I have a :siren: PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: Do not bother trying to argue with NTRabbit. It's not worth it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
He didn't have to gently caress off, he could've finished me off easily. it's just that an island came between us and I guess he got distracted or something. And I don't think soloing a full health BB in exchange for half a cruiser is that bad a trade. :shrug:

And my point wasn't that CAs can go toe to toe with BBs easily, just that they aren't that completely helpless against them.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Pimpmust posted:

Have an (american) destroyer video Cooked linked me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y2yOdI9Dk8
Jesus christ, Japanese metal vocalists are the worst.

However I am glad to see phontomen has gotten into WoWS. Dude makes the most entertaining silly videos.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Valle posted:

I couldn't help but notice that it says you spent 6min 32sec in battle, and in that time traveled 33,46km. This means you had an average speed of 307,3kph, or 191 mph! Now those are some fast ships!
And when you fire torpedoes at a ship 5 km away, they'll cover the distance in a matter of seconds. Let that sink in for a moment. ( :downsrim: )

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

rossmum posted:

I am suddenly really loving bad at this. I am not sure how or why, but it's very discouraging. :sigh:
I'm having the same issue. Not a single even decent game this evening. If I don't die to my own stupid blunders I just get stupid horrible luck, and everyone I try to torpedo is like a loving Grammaton cleric from Equilibrium.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So for those of us not in the beta, what kind of early ships are there at Tier 1 and 2 or so?

Will we get to roll around in the HMS Dreadnought? :britain:

Or pre-dreadnoughts/armoured cruisers?
It's early century and WW 1 era stuff till about tier 3 and mostly inter-war stuff for a few tiers after that.
The current low tier goon favourite, the St. Louis class, was built between 1905 and 06 and looks like this:

She's beautiful. <3

Nordick fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 16, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Why do people complain about the Phoenix? It seems great. Lots of guns with decent range, torps to slap any DDs who get through the 5x murder guns, good AAA that rewards protecting your team. Driving it has been nothing but fun :confused:
Well it's a bit weaksauce before you get the hull upgrades on it, but that only takes like a couple battles and I agree it's great after that. I really liked it too and I don't think I've seen that many people really complaining about it either?

That said though, wait till you get the Omaha, it's basically just a straight upgrade to the Phoenix in just about every way, except maneuverability and concealment, where the differences are marginal.

Also I just got the Cleveland, and while I kinda miss having torpedoes, the gun battery is just so goddamn amazing and it's kinda refreshing to get to just focus on gunnery without also trying to keep an eye out for torping opportunities. Loving this ship a lot.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 17, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
My main problem with torpedoes is that I just keep underestimating the amount I need to lead the target.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

hopterque posted:

If you target something, hit x and it'll show a white arc for approximately where you need to aim your torpedoes in order to hit them if they keep travelling at the speed and heading they currently are.
:psyduck: gently caress, I've seen that indicator a million times, how did I never figure out what it was. Christ I'm such a dum dum.

Thanks guys.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeaaaahhh I just took the Isokaze out for a spin, now with knowledge of the indicator, and it's pretty ridiculous. Yeah, it won't help if the target turns or changes speed, but the thing is a lot of pubbies just plain don't do that. I nailed several hits I wouldn't have even dreamed of, previously.
And even if the target is, say, turning a bit, you can still use the indicator as a starting point and adjust from there, instead of just plain eyeballing.

I dunno, maybe they could change it so it only appears after you've tracked the target for a few seconds first, or something.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
NTRabbit really is quite impressive with his utter bullheadedness in completely disregarding all other people's experiences to the contrary of his own haphazard conclusions. He has a long and storied history of doing it in the tanks thread.

:byodood: "This thing is poo poo, it can't do X at all!"
:geno: "Nah man, I've been doing X with the thing just fine"
:byodood: "No no no I tried X once and it didn't work, it can't be done! Thing is poo poo!"

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

NTRabbit posted:

Yes, the guns on the Clemson are the best feature, which was my point. Some people apparently incapable of grasping the simple fact that slow, short range torpedoes are poo poo torpedoes, and no amount of hand waving makes them otherwise.

You didn't just say they're the best feature, you said they're the only good feature. And we were trying to tell you that no, that's not true, because while the torps might be worse than the jap ones on a tube-by-tube basis, they are still a shitload of torps, which in fact is a good feature to have.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Wasn't the first post after NTRabbirs first post "Don't argue with NTRabbit"

?
Yeah that was me.

And a few pages later I'm arguing with NTRabbit.

:negative:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

BadLlama posted:

Sorry can you explain this? Are you referring to how in a 8 minute battle the game will tell you that you traveled like 40 miles?
Simple: While in game, pick a spot, say, 10 kilometers away. Then see how much time it takes you to reach that spot. I'd hazard a guess it's a whole lot faster than it actually takes to travel that distance in the real world.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

santanotreal posted:

I'm in the same spot as you but I'm enjoying tier 4 BB much more than tier 3, mainly cuz of the extra range. I assume they only get better from here.
Yeah, range is part of the equation, after the low tiers BBs have vastly longer range. Of course it can be tricky to hit things from 20 km out, but it's not that difficult.

Also, in a BB, you really want to be planning your routes ahead, so that you can keep your battery pointed towards targets as constantly as possible, instead of having to keep turning the glacially slow turrets back and forth.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

If Wargaming is smart, they'll make both teams a pyramid where most ships are cruisers and destroyers, with a few CA, BB, and CV up top. It would probably make for more interesting and varied games.
Yeah I hope so too. I've ended up in a couple battles where both teams were mostly BBs, and they were really boring, extreme range artillery duels. I mean I guess they could be fun brutal brawls if the teams closed in to knife-fighting ranges, but good luck goading pubbies into doing that.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Delorence Fickle posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_battleship

:stare:

I don't care how they do it, but they need to put those things in the game.
This was linked in the "see also" section:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Incomparable

20-inch guns. :staredog: Also, I first read the name as HMS Inoperable, which probably would've been quite fitting, really.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Kuntz posted:

I liked the sound of this and googled it, look what I found.

:c00l: http://rcnc.rcwarshipcombat.com/Portals/0/Users/Kotori87/Complete%20List%20of%20I-boats.txt :c00l:

HMS Inexplainable
HMS Insubmergible
HMS Irretrievable
HMS Inoxidizable
And my favourite: HMS Inextinguishable :supaburn:
Oh god, these are amazing. :haw:

HMS Ignoble
HMS Immemorable
HMS Interchangeable
HMS Inconceivable

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

YellerBill posted:

This document is the gift that keeps on giving.

HMS Inflammable
HMS Irreclaimable
HMS Irredeemable

If we ever get to name our ships I'm totally calling HMS Inflammable.

I mean, I assume this is nothing official (no poo poo) but just some sort of complication of procedurally generated words, considering the first one is just "HMS Ible", but whatever, they're hilarious.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Cythereal posted:

Ramming speed a viable option when you have nothing else to lose?
Well, yeah. If you have two options:

A) Wait for a few seconds, die
B) Ram someone, sink them, die

it's not actually a contest is it?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I really hope the gun portion of the game doesn't turn into WoT bullshit where you want to kill yourself if you're stuck with a stock gun. It's nice that stock ships are actually threatening and dangerous.
This is a pretty key thing, IMO. They've found a nice balance so that the upgrades do feel meaningful, but stock ships aren't gimped buckets of pig vomit.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Dalael posted:

For the coolest ship in history, you have to look at the US destroyer William D. Porter.

http://www.historynet.com/uss-william-d-porter-the-us-navy-destroyers-service-in-world-war-ii.htm
This is great :allears:

Am I the only one who immediately started envisioning this as some vaguely Kelly's Heroes-esque war comedy film? Because it should totally be made into one. With some artistic license of course, have them searching around for some sunken Japanese gold treasure or whatever. gently caress, they could even call it Willie's Heroes.

Also I'm totally gonna call lovely pub DD players Willie Dees from now on, I don't even care none of them will get it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm pretty sure they just pick pretty much everyone who manages to slip in an application during that narrow time window. Or at least make their picks pretty much at random.

At any rate, congrats to the fresh botegoons! :toot:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I really liked the New York, I think I'm gonna keep it around. At least so I have an excuse to spam the all chat with Frank Sinatra lyrics, if for no other reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Darkrenown posted:

Warspite is on sale again on EU. Sounds like it's pretty good?
I haven't been playing a whole lot and am probably pretty bad at botes, but I have a handful of battles with the Warspite and I like it. The turning radius is comfy and it just feels like such a classy ship to sail around.