Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Leif. posted:

Howso? Arming distances?

Basically allows you to freely move around the aiming circle and drop area as you like. You could do a drop in the middle of empty water if you wanted to.

Obviously, this also results in being far more likely to bounce duds off someone's hull due to the torps not arming yet until you get a feel for where exactly the torpedoes arm once they've been dropped. It use to be that you could drop them much closer to a ship and in a tighter spread than using manual, which is why it was so lethal, but they removed the tightening of the spread along with making spreads larger anyways which has resulted in carriers other than T9-10 IJN ones basically sucking.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Magni posted:

Other news for 0.4: Atago (Takao-class) will be introduced as a T8 premium IJN cruiser. And firing your guns now creates shockwaves churning the water next to your ship.

That's an... interesting choice for a premium. You'd think they'd either go for the name ship, unless they plan to make part of a separate standard branch at some later point, or Maya, which had a significant conversion done to it mid-war. Cannot find anything particularly exceptional or unique about Atago.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So tired, so very loving tired, of the goddamn "collision avoidance" system.

That "helpful" automation has screwed me over so many times and I really wish WG would just remove the drat thing already.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The Locator posted:

In the game, under Settings -> Controls, you can turn the collision avoidance system off, or to only be on in binocular view. You can also now select to not have to hold down the alt-key in settings.

Huh, didn't realize that, so thanks. And yeah, as Rennzero mentioned, it activating is wonky too, which makes it even worse.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Krogort posted:

Found this, what's not to love about the Zuihou.
Or hate, depending on which side of the planes you're on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd5bm4Iq3HE

This is insane, who ever thought this could be balanced need to be sent to count trees in siberia.

I know, right? It's not like the Zuiho was a tier higher than everything else in that match and thus should be extremely dangerous, or several of them completely ignoring the incoming planes warning and sailing in a straight line without making even a token attempt to dodge or anything. No, clearly that was the most OP poo poo ever and needs to be nerfed more. It's not like a Kongo in a tier 3-4 match tends to devastate enemy teams or anything. Oh, wait...

I know it's shocking, but amazingly carriers don't even have guns to fall back on to do damage like destroyers do, so having a roughly ~50% hit rate is pretty acceptable. I'm also laughing at you thinking that was point blank, as it wasn't actually much off the range automatic currently drops at. Anyone who has played most of the CBT knows what real point blank looks like, even discounting the fact that manual also no longer allows spreads to be narrowed, and that's gone. THOSE spreads were the type that even destroyers and cruisers couldn't reliably dodge out of, while these really weren't. Hell, it's also at the tier where there is still no AA worth mentioning and most ships maneuver like pigs, so using it as an example of how horrible carriers are overall is particularly disingenuous.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

texasmed posted:

Ask yourself, would you ever not want an extra smoke charge, or engine boost? Secondly, are you taking enough criticals that you want to repair 6 seconds faster than you normally can?

Answers: Yes, you want the charges. No, you can't take enough damage to repair that frequently, and remember that you can actually run from most engagements.

edit: I think your skill choices can change between USN and IJN, but for my USN dude:
1: Situation Awareness
2: Torpedo Armament Expertise
3: Superintendent
4: Advanced Firing Training (USN only, IMO. Allows you to fire from stealth at 12-15km range, if you can handle the 13-18 second hang time.)
5: Concealment Expert
After this, I'm not sure where I want to go with points. I wouldn't mind having the 10% reload reduction on skills as a second 5-pointer, but I'm not sure how many months of grinding that would take to get.

For the full 19 points, I think I'd take the following for IJN destroyers.
1: Situation Awareness - Since you really don't want to be spotted without being aware of it, this is practically mandatory.
2: Torpedo Armament Expertise - They're your primary weapon. Anything that improves them you should probably take
3: Tossup - I'm honestly not finding smoke as useful anymore, after they cut both how long you lay if for and how long it lasts, but it can help at times. The new ability is neat. On the other hand, as mentioned that 6 seconds can occasionally make a big difference, and the Tier 4 skill is competing against other choices.
4: Demolition Expert - The extra gunnery range isn't too useful in my opinion for IJN destroyers because they're a secondary weapon. You'll typically only be using them at close range anyways, where the increased range is pointless, and when it's not they still have fairly good base range with a 2+km gap between being spotted and max range. On the other hand, a +3% chance is small, but you're putting out enough shots for it to make a noticeable difference. Last Stand is your other choice and it certainly seems to help solve a big issue, but since it doesn't give numbers I'm not sure how effective it ultimately is.
5: Concealment Expert - Obvious choice is obvious. I suppose if you absolutely needed a secondary choice you could go for Preventive Maintenance or Jack of All Trades.

With the final four points, and potentially taken before some of the highest options, I'd go with these.
2: Aiming Expert - You have painfully slow rotation speed on your turrets which this drastically helps. And given you'll most often need them against enemy destroyers that extra turn speed can actually give you a fighting chance.
Tossup - I'd go for either Fire Prevention(2), since with your low hp you really don't want a fire burning, or Basic Firing Training(1) and Basics of Survivability(1). BFT helps for obvious reasons, while Survivability is really only due to having 1 point remaining. It could prove handy occasionally.

Also, if the skill cap was not changed, you can only ever pick up one 5-point skill. 19 points available, picking one from each level gets you to 15 spent.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 30, 2015

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Is it just me or do battleships do perfectly fine without any of the 5-point upgrades? Some of them are nice, but I'd rather have the increased secondary range -at least for IJN ones - along with increased fire chance for all guns over anything the 5-pointers offer.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Poi is stupid, but that doesn't mean we need to be dumb too.

IJN vs US is the iconic WW2 matchup for ships, so that was obviously going to be the first two nations. Complaining that the Royal Navy is last is legitimate, but complaining about it not being one of the first two nations is nothing more than whining. I mean...

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

The part that really doesn't make sense is the IJN. They obviously don't give a poo poo for historical accuracy, and I'm sure they would draw more customers with either the Kriegsmarine or the RN.

and then blaming it on anime is loving retarded. Was the fact that they'd get boosted sales due to other stuff convenient? Sure. Was it probably going to be that matchup regardless? Almost certainly.

Sure, Royal Navy vs. Kaiserliche Marine was the iconic matchup of WW1, but that did not even remotely hold true for the second, and a huge portion of the Kriegsmarine would be paper designs, which would be a terrible idea for one of the first nations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

wdarkk posted:

God, the Bismarck is going to be a mess. How low in the IJN/USA trees do you have to go to find 8x14"?

The entire BB line's going to be a mess. I'm pretty sure they've stated that Bismarck is going to be a Tier 8, so who know how they're remotely going to balance it having both less guns and smaller guns than its equivalents at that tier. Going off of that, Nazi Germany's only other modern battleship, Scharnhorst, will probably be Tier 7. Sharnhorst carries 11" guns. There's not a single other battleship in the game with guns that small. I suppose they could use the paper plans to give it 15" guns as one of its refits, but those are still smaller than equivalents, not even counting the grind to get to them. Nothing real above those two, and only WW1 stuff before.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

wdarkk posted:

So uh which Tier 4 skill is best for Japanese Cruisers? I feel like I really, really use HE a lot since I'm shooting at DDs a fair amount. Heck I've never been able to get good at getting Citadels at all. On the other hand "More AA" and "not needing to blow repair the instant your stern gets hit" sound good too.

Probably Demolition Expert, but it's down to personal choice. IJN cruisers just don't have particularly great AA suites, so I feel boosting their range is okay, but ultimately pretty eh. And the second part is basically worthless at the higher tiers, as you no longer have the guns it applies to. Last Stand sounds good, but at the higher tiers it's both less likely and less important for them to be shot out. I've also not seen what exactly the degraded capability corresponds to, as they give no numbers. Them working at 50% capacity is pretty good; them working at 10% is basically worthless. Still, assuming it leans towards that higher amount you could make an argument for the skill.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

What are people picking for their 1-point skill for carriers? Basics of Survivability seems like the better choice, but Basic Firing Training seems like it could be decently useful too, given carriers both have good AA to begin with and are almost always priority targets for other carriers. Expert Rear Gunner seems like it might be at least okay too, but I have no real idea just how much self-defense armament rear gunners have in the first place for it to boost.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Poe's Law is in effect here, so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt. Fire is unrelated to the citadel, it is something that happens to the deck/superstructure. Never, ever come to a complete stop. Ever. For any reason.

Eh, don't use an absolute. Exceptions do exist, like doing so to dodge a torpedo spread, if you know what you're doing. But generally that holds true, and even with exceptions you really want to get back up to speed afterwards.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

American carriers poo poo all over Japanese carriers at every tier, you just don't get a lot of XP for shooting down 40 planes

Fairly sure what he's referring to is the fact that Essex and Midway have access to 1/2/2 loadouts, compared to Taiho and Hakuryu carrying, respectively, 1/3/3 and 1/3/4 ones. Which sounds good until you remember that US squadrons are 6 planes compared to 4, so they're putting just as many torpedo bombers in the air while still having a larger fighter squadron. They don't have particularly less dive bombers either, if that's somehow influencing your decision. Oh, and US torpedo bombers do over 1000 more damage per torpedo too, while their dive bombers do over 3000 more per bomb.

So in summary, at the highest tiers US carriers are launching just as many torpedo bombers, which deal more damage and, due to 6 plane squadrons, have a much better spread, still have the advantage in fighters, and their dive bombers, while slightly fewer in number, deal more damage as well.

From what I recall Hakuryu was carrying a 1/4/4 spread pre-0.4, which apparently got chopped down to to complaints. So now if you're going up the IJN tree due to them being the "Strike-focused" carriers, you're completely out of luck at the end of the tree because Wargaming can't balance for poo poo.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Panfilo posted:

I think if they made the secondaries on BBs more accurate, it would help solve some of their problems. Getting close with a cruiser or destroyer would be a lot more dangerous if a BB had the archival equivalent of a St. Louis.

If I recall correctly they DID used to be more accurate at the beginning of the CBT. One of the patches put out even before US ships were added toned them down, probably primarily due to the Nagato. It wasn't really noticeable for most other ships, but the Nagato has both a huge secondary battery, with a significant chunk of it being 140s, along with I believe the heaviest belt armor in the game bar the Yamato(probably Montana too, but they no longer list the values :(). And back then the armor values for the turrets on Yamato were hosed up, so they didn't really want to get close. The Nagato on the other hand was - and realistically still is, you just have to be more careful - an incredibly good brawler that could just wade in and let its secondaries make an area extremely unfriendly to enemy ships. The real amusing think was many pubbies were complaining about how underpowered it was to drive, because so many of them refused to close range while in a battleship under any circumstance, due to the fact that Nagato's primary battery isn't the most accurate at those tiers. Still decent and far better than early tiers, but with long range shots you're going to be getting a decent amount of dispersion.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

bobthethurd posted:

Citadel rear end in a top hat.

So what's the deal with Sky Cancer?

Carriers seem fairly balanced vs the rest of the chaff, but then when you have to face other carriers the whole game's balance falls apart. Either you are up against another carrier like you and it's a complete tossup whose fighters will win the RNG dogfight, or it's a battle between an American carrier and a Japanese one. There can only be one, and the American fighters eat everything the japanese carrier can poo poo out all at once. Earlier I got to face down an Independence and a Langley, with myself in a Langley and a Zuiho on my side. It was actually fun, but hard work getting the five torpedo hits and the destroyer kill I did get. By the end I'd been reduced to uselessness by tier 6 fighters.

Which is the third state of affairs. Heaven help you if you're facing an enemy carrier that's higher tier than you, because Wargaming sure didn't.

All that said, I have yet to have a game in my Langley that I didn't enjoy. Even when my team loses I have a blast and get tons of exp and money.

Yeah, the disparity between different tiers of carriers is horrible and I don't understand why. Why the hell is there such a huge disparity in fighters, when everything else in the game is extremely incremental? I mean, both types of bombers barely change damagewise, with IJN torpedo and bomb values NEVER changing and US ones static after tier 6. Meanwhile, fighters damage is characterized by huge jumps at certain tiers. Both sides have nearly static damage for 3 tiers(IJN ones stay at 30 through tier 6, US ones get a 6-point boost at tier 6), then it breaks down as such: Tier 7(84 for US, 90 for IJN), Tier 8(126 for US, 96 for IJN), Tier 9(120 for US, 162(!?) for IJN), Tier 10(120 for US, 148 for IJN). How hard would it have been to have each level do slightly more damage than the next, instead of "Well, not only are they more survivable, but they also do triple the amount of damage yours do." And I've lost entire fully upgraded Hosho squadrons to their Langley counterparts for no loss by them multiple times, while over friendly ships that actually have AA values, despite both fighters having similar stats according to the information we're given, so who the gently caress knows what's going on there.

Interestingly, on the subject of torpedo bombers, for all the complaints about IJN ones I suspect that if you actually went through replays you'd find that US ones are far more likely to oneshot you. I have extreme difficulty hitting a target with more than two torpedoes out of an IJN squadron's spread, simply because it's so wide, so much so that against a stationary battleship I don't even think it's possible to hit with all four, while the US ones have a much tighter dispersion and thus it's easier to hit with more. Oh, they do more damage as well, so generally it takes less hits to sink you on top of that.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Panfilo posted:

I'm finding it surprisingly easy to sink Carriers with a Destroyer. Turning your AA off, and holding fire does wonders when you know just how close you can get without being detected.

This isn't really too surprising if you can avoid sight lines. It's actually one of the more common things destroyers do - find a break in the line and go hunt down their carrier(s). Though don't be like pubbies and have this be the only thing in the match that you do.

On the other hand, I'm finding it surprisingly easy to sink destroyers with a carrier - with torpedoes that is. So many clueless captains just sailing along paying no attention to my bombers, as clearly I would never waste my time "fruitlessly" trying to torp them, only to sail straight into the pattern I'd just dropped ahead of them. And I'm doing it with singular IJN squadrons too, so there's not even the tighter spread pattern that US ones have.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

...How, just how does a team suck this bad. Complete air superiority, I fully took advantage of it, and most of the team just up and dies. Hell, they never even took any caps until the very end of the game. Meanwhile, despite losing I managed to do enough damage to get more exp than anyone else in the game.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

OSad posted:

Also, something pretty weird is happening to my Nagato: I have both advanced fire control and secondary battery modification, but my secondaries only open up at 7km, not the nine kilometers I normally hear about. Is it intended to be only seven kilometers or am I doing something wrong?

...Where did you hear it should be 9 km? Base range on a Nagato's secondaries is 5 km, and both items only increase it by +20% each. 120% of 5 km is 6 km. 7km, or very slightly more depending on how they stack, is exactly right.

Yamato and Izumo have 7 km base, so with both items their max range is over 9 km, if those are what you were thinking of.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 15, 2015

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Incidentally, is anyone else suspecting the tier 4 AA skill is going to get rolled back to only affecting secondaries again as opposed to ALL <=155 mm guns? Because the the fact that Clevelands and Mogamis can outrange battleships due to it is absurd. Let alone that 6 inch guns really shouldn't be outranging equivalent AND higher tier 8 inch guns either by any amount, let alone by how much they currently can.

Then again, they also released the Murmansk, which is a complete bullshit premium, so who knows? For those who haven't really looked at it, most of the premiums are roughly analogous to a fully upgraded ship of their tier, either directly(Atago and Mogami) or by playing a slightly different role(Atlanta and Pensacola). Murmansk on the other hand is literally the same tier US cruiser, except packing significantly more powerful torpedoes along with guns that outrange both of its competitors by ~2 km.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, I've finally gotten my first Clear Skies award since the open beta started. In a fighterless Zuiho :smug:.

Besides the fact that the two Langleys repeatedly sent their torpedo bombers at me, to a success rate of I think one hit all game, they also kept letting me bait their fighters over me as well. Admittedly them doing so disrupted my own runs a bit due to having to make sure they didn't get a clean run on me, but I think I did decently all told.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

PirateBob posted:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/40321-04x-prehistorics-dirty-no-chat-mod-wows-edition/

:doh: Just like in WOT, it has started in WOWS as well. Pubbies making themselves more deaf, dumb and blind than they already were.

Does this actually remove the chat window, or just make it invisible? Because if it's the former, I could see some decent use from it for carriers, since the chat window currently restricts the amount of screen they can actually use for directing and attacks. That said, the intended purpose of it is indeed dumb.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

OSad posted:

I think it'll actually be pretty good. I know that it had a weird armor layout, but didn't it have really good citadel armor? And the 15-inch guns are an oddity for the tier(fifteen inch guns are not an oddity in tier 8, my idiocy strikes again, though the North Carolina's guns are just shy of 16), it can do 30 knots which puts it up there with some of the fastest IJN battleships, it has torpedo tubes...

It almost seems too good to be true, since the torpedoes give you that extra tool that can save you from situations where a destroyer goes in for a run, or a cruiser comes around an island, you unload on him but can't quite kill him, now you have those torps for knife-fights while you're reloading your big guns. Or if the armor is good, you can even be really aggressive on this ship and shotgun other battleships. It's like a super, mega-fat destroyer with 15 inch guns that can actually take a hit! Maybe.

I wonder if the torps are going to be poo poo or the ship itself won't get a repair ability as a balancing factor or something. Maybe the rudder'll be made of paper mache and any attack bomber that manages to plink a hit on you will knock it out due to historical accuracy.

Edit: Apparently now that I've looked it up, the Bismarck never had a chance to mount her torpedo tubes. So this is not looking as good as I first thought it would.

Put bluntly, no, Bismarck did not have either exceptional amounts of armor or a good layout. The fact that it took so many hits to actually sink Bismarck was just as much due to errors the British made as any aspect of its own construction. As for its competitors, North Carolina mounts significantly more armor in important places, and, while it probably has more belt armor than Amagi due to Amagi being a battlecruiser, Amagi likely still has more armor on the turrets. Even then Amagi's armor is laid out better, which can count for a lot. Another real issue is that Bismarck's deck armor is quite thin, which actually leaves it vulnerable to the same sort of shots that took out Hood.

And what do you mean about the NC not carrying 16" guns? It carried the Mk 6, which was most definitely a 16" gun. Hell, you have to go down to Tier 6 to find battleships not carrying 16" guns.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

OSad posted:

I just converted the 406mm in the game's tooltip to inches directly on google. Supposedly 406mm is exactly 15.9843 inches, which is just shy of 16.

I have no idea how inches work though, I guess at that point you just round it up and call it 16 inches then :v:

Yeah, when you're out to the hundredths place, you just round up, but I suppose you are very technically correct :v:. To be perfectly exact, 16" comes out to 406.4mm, and no one really wants to be bothered with less than 1/2 of one mm. By the same logic the IJN ones technically aren't as well, since they're using 410mm guns. In comparison to its competitors, Bismarck's only mounting 380mm guns. Obviously caliber matters as well, but its guns aren't particularly exceptional in that sense either.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

Even if the wheraboos threw a bitchfit, wg has stated no battleship would have torpedos. Otherwise the new york/texas would have a compliment of torpedos, which would be awesome and we can't have that.

Honestly, it'd probably be easier to come up with a list of battleships in the game that DIDN'T have torpedoes mounted on them at one point. Hell, pre-refit the Nagato had torpedo tubes on it, and that's all the way up at Tier 7.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

demonR6 posted:

It is by far the best ship in the entire IJN line.. you will be basking in the glory of your battles as you decimate ships one after another.

Now, now, let's not go overboard. Even it cannot compare to the glory and awe-inspiring power of the Mutsuki and Furutaka. Though I can hardly fault it for failing to reach those inspiring heights.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The fire mod and skills are definitely multiplicative, rather than subtractive. Assuming WG hasn't hosed up the coding somewhere, of course. Just got set on fire twice in two volleys by a destroyer(Minekaze, specifically), which would be impossible if it was subtractive. Incidentally, the fires were still complete bullshit regardless, since I didn't get hit with either full volley and each shot should have had a <10% chance of setting me on fire, but some days the RNG just says "gently caress you."

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

grrarg posted:

Yup, the matchmaker is the problem, not carriers themselves. Carriers need to be evenly matched, or it is no fun for anyone. Who cares if carrier players have to wait longer for matches?

I had a retarded game earlier where it matched a tier 7 carrier versus a tier 4 because the 4 was in a division. It wasn't even in a division with a higher tier. It was three tier 4s in a division on one team when the other team was all tier 5-7. I don't think the game lasted more than 7 minutes.

Seconding this, because it applies to people playing carriers too. Just got my Ryujo, and both matches I've been in so far I've been bottom tier, with a fully stock loadout. In matches filled with Pensacolas and Atlantas, with a few upgraded Colorados wandering around too, my planes just die. I've had torpedo bomber squadrons simply disintegrate from full to zero on the run in against a lone BB before they could even drop. This makes it kinda hard to actually gain the exp necessary to upgrade stuff so I don't just die. Second game had the added "fun" of a fully upgraded Ranger running a fighter loadout too on the enemy side along with multiple higher tier cruisers. Those fighters could kill my squadrons, including my fighter squadron, in literally 2-3 seconds along with being significantly faster, which given it's only one tier above me is hilariously stupid.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

I like IJN destroyers too, but keep in mind their guns are absolute garbage. The turn so god drat slow that the only way you'll even be able to shoot with them is if you line up your target by turning like ship, like an old ship of the line.

IJN destroyer guns are usable once you get used to them, and have the relevant skill. If I recall correctly they have a flatter shell trajectory than US ones too, which helps with accuracy given the ranges DDs usually engage at. Especially once they get dual gun turrets(T7 and up) they're a perfectly valid secondary options, and I've won DD gunnery fights with them in CBT. The trick is to predict well beforehand which side of your ship you'll be engaging on, and bring your turrets about then. When they're already generally on target, their slower turn speed matters less. Just be aware that US destroyers have guns that both turn much faster and reload faster, so you need to either have decently better gunnery and/or make sure to keep them busy with other distractions - like torpedoes. And yes, some of the line(Minekaze) have such excruciatingly slow turn speeds that this is hard to implement even with the turret skill, but it's generally true for most of them.

Of course, the caveat to this is that 4.0 changed spotting mechanics, and you'll stay lit for an extremely long time, unless you manage to break LoS to EVERYTHING, if you actually do use your guns - which is one of the issues US ones are currently suffering under.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Panfilo posted:

When a Cruiser uses it's AA ability or fighters are attacking the bombers their spread gets all jacked up.

Nah, that pseudo single line spread is a bug associated with autodrops. I'm not entirely sure what causes it, but when you issue a bunch of manual drop orders close together, under certain circumstances, it can cause that. What's actually happening is every torpedo bomber is dropping their torpedo sequentially in the same spot, at which point the torpedoes haphazardly spread out to where they should be in the pattern. It's not really a good pattern, as it leaves big gaps for someone to sail through as they spread out, but it can catch you off guard if you're not used to it since it's so unnatural.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

mik posted:

I've been rocking the Mogami's 6-inch guns with the two 155mm captain skills (range + reload), so my range is 18km, but I can't decide whether to use the boat's Concealment upgrade (-10%), or Target Acquisition (+20%). Stay hidden longer, while being able to take 18km pot-shots if needed, or see targets sooner in order to take those long shots.

If I recall correctly, Target Acquisition is mostly pointless. It doesn't have any effect on a target's concealment, just on how long your sight cone is, which is generally plenty long already for anything other than a high-tier IJN destroyer that wants a better idea what to aim his torpedoes at.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Funnily enough the Arpeggio property, which "Fleet of Fog" is from, is actually really good. It just gets all the people linking it with Kancolle stuff as well since there are some very superficial similarities. As for Kancolle... regardless of how one feels about the property as a whole(mediocre at best), just about everyone agrees that the anime was absolutely terrible, for any number of reasons. Not even the funny bad, just bad.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Artificer posted:

The anime was pretty meh but I enjoyed the manga at least.

I actually agree with this, so you're in good company. I found more than a few of the changes and things they emphasized in the anime to be pretty dumb. And I'm not terribly amused by what I'm hearing about the upcoming movie either. That said, at least some people seemed to like it, and if it gets them reading the manga then all's at least somewhat well.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ranbo das posted:

Only carrier in the game as an independence, this will be easy points, right? Well apparently it takes about 7 or so seconds for a pensacola to melt all of your planes. So I launched my second squad and did a run on a colorado who was totally unsupported. Two bombers survived long enough to drop before they died meaning now I'm totally useless. gently caress US carriers.

James Garfield posted:

The US carriers are shockingly bad, at least until tier 8 or 9. It's probably not worth playing them right now.
The air superiority gimmick isn't good for much, because you're bringing a ship that can't damage enemies in the hope that (a) the enemy team will bring an attack loadout carrier and (b) you'll shoot down that carrier's planes so effectively that it does no more damage than your single bomber squadron.
Even if all that works out, the US carrier's team has to win the game with minimal help from the carrier.

I hate to break up your "US CVs are terrible, IJN CVs are great" tangent, but this is a terrible example. Tier 7 US cruisers and upgraded Colorados(stock ones have virtually no AA) melt tier 6 CV squads as well. IJN carriers actually have it worse, as their squads are smaller - my first two games in the Ryujo were bottom tier in matches filled with Pensacolas and Atlantas, and let's just say that not much got done. Hell, my attack run against a Colorado didn't even get a single torpedo in the water, as they ALL got shot down on the way in. For all the whining about carriers, you may notice a bunch of it is about CVs of a higher tier than them. Once you get out of the low AA tiers, CVs that end up on the low tier end of the match tend to have trouble contributing. Your only real option is to get very familiar with the AA values of various ships so you know what you can actually go after, along with watching where all the cruisers are. If they're well spread out, well, hope you don't mind milling around hoping your team can knock holes in said screen.

Oh, and God help you if there's a tier 7+ CV on the other side and you're tier 6 or less. The jump in power between those two tiers is obscene. Planes of all stripes tend to get ~20 knot speed boost, and fighters triple, or nearly triple(IJN/US), how much damage they do.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Lakedaimon posted:

Tier 3 skill for a BB captain - damage repair 10% faster or torpedo spotting? I figure you're probably too slow to easily dodge torpedoes even with the bonus, but I dont know how much worse it gets at higher tiers as the ships get heavier but the torps do too.

Vigilance can be helpful, but generally High Alert is going to be more useful as you get more experienced - especially given how prevalent fire currently is. Especially at higher tiers, torpedoes are currently hampered by being way too easy to spot, with the top tier IJN torpedoes giving you something like nearly 12 seconds to react to them. This is also discounting the fact that at the high tiers there are going to be bunches of planes flying around, all of which can spot torpedoes as well, with seemingly the same viewing range as ships, and reveal them to all ships. Though the counterpoint to this is that WG may, MAY, eventually reduce the ranges, or at least remove/heavily cut plane spotting, they can be spotted at to something reasonable, at which point Vigilance might actually be decently useful.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So very, very bloody tired of Two Brothers. I don't even mind the design, but I start getting annoyed when I'm seeing it 4/5 times when I'm playing sequential matches with the same ship. Especially when paired with teams of moronic pubbies who can't figure out that maybe, just maybe, they should leave someone to guard that middle channel against marauding destroyers. Especially on Domination. ESPECIALLY when they're lit up by planes from the moment they loving entered the channel.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, think I got my "best" worst overall matchup of the past week tonight. Admittedly not quite as horrid as some of the high tier matches that have been posted, but then again this is mid tier where there should be plenty of players to matchmake with.

So higher tier CV, multiple BBs of higher tiers, and an entire squadron of Clevelands. While we got a platoon of Tier 3/4 BBs. Yeah. I'll let someone wiser figure out just how incompetent they had to be on average to make the battle that close.

edit: Oh, and the map was Ocean, so the Myogi and SCs were even worse off.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 3, 2015

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Sperglord Actual posted:

I've seen this mentioned a few times, but I still don't know what it is. :saddowns:

See the edge of the map? Drive your ship into it at an angle and don't turn away from it afterwards. See what happens.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Freudian slippers posted:

What's the goonsensus on japanese destroyers? I've got me the level 5 Minekaze, which seems ok. How are the higher tiers?

If you can get through the Mutsuki, the rest of the line is decent. That said, the Mutsuki isn't horrible the way a Furutaka or Colorado is, it's just underperforming. One issue is it starts with 6km torpedoes base, which is really bad considering it's an IJN destroyer. Get the IJN cruiser line up to Aoba first to unlock its better torpedoes without actually grinding to them.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The thing about complaints regarding cruisers kiting battleships is severalfold. First is that this is ultimately a game about controlling points, not killing the enemy team. FORCE them to come to you, instead of chasing them around the map, by occupying a point and making them have to close to contest it. Best example I can think of off the top of my head is from CBT. I was in a Nagato, with the mission being Domination on Hotspot. Contrary to the pubbie meta, which generally devolves into going in wide circles around the map, I joined two destroyers and occupied the central point. Multiple cruisers and destroyers from the enemy side straggled in to try and contest it, and got blown apart in turn, whether by torpedoes or guns. Sure, a concerted and coordinated push would probably have pushed me off/killed me, but at the same time that's vanishingly rare. And given how spread out the starting points and caps are on Hotspot, it probably would have required coordination from ships not necessarily near each other as well. As it turned out, destroyers weren't exactly happy having to knife fight with other destroyers while also within my secondary range, and the Atlanta or two that showed up REALLY weren't happy trying to get rid of destroyers while under 16" gunfire.

This also leads into the second point - don't go haring off alone. Sure, there's the issue of cruisers taking off much faster than you, but especially as you get higher up in tier you can often find at least one or two other ships willing to stick with you if you ask, and that makes you much more dangerous. A well-driven battleship and one or more escorting cruisers is generally going to destroy opposition, since if they're kiting you they're probably not bringing all their batteries to bear while shooting you, at least not as effectively as they could, whereas your own cruiser has much more free reign. And if they try to take on the cruiser on equal terms, they're opening themselves up for your extremely heavy salvos.

A final point is terrain. Unless you happen to be on Ocean, it's not like they can just kite you at large ranges with impunity without your consent. If they start, just stop chasing them and find something else to do, while finding the nearest island to put between them and you. Blindly steaming after them into the open areas of a map is just dumb if they're that good at dodging your long range shots.

edit: On further reflection, I don't actually recall for certain if it was Domination or Encounter, but most teams tend to play similar on that map regardless.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, that was a nice way to start the night. And I'm even still in the middle of retraining the captain, and thus lacking such useful skill as Situation Awareness.

Started on the southwest side on Two Brothers, and immediately sailed forward to drop torpedoes down one of the channels between those islands, since I've upgraded to the 10 km ones. As I was turning away, noticed our Minekaze was poking his nose around the channel, and there was an enemy destroyer coming down it, so since I was already turning that way, steamed over to join him. As it turned out, it was not one but ALL THREE of the enemy team's destroyers coming down it, along with a Phoenix. At this point, one of our Omahas steamed into the channel to meet them for some reason. Got two kills, but unsurprisingly died as well. Was rather pointless as both I and the Minekaze were both staying near the end and filling the mouth with torpedoes, and he could have stayed back with us. Needless to say, there were very shortly 5 shipwrecks all around the same spot. Around this time I also got the notice that one of my blindfired torpedoes had been blundered into by someone on their team - going by the review pages I suspect it was their Omaha, but I'm not really certain. Anyways, turned back to the left and started skirmishing, with the only hit during this time being tracking a Cleveland meandering through all those small islands and putting a spread on the opposite side of an island he was slowly going around. As he was already damaged, he hit one and went down. Around this time I noticed that we had ships getting into our cap from the other side, so went to help with base defense. And proceeded to find a virtually full health Warspite sitting in the middle of our cap, barely even moving. With our Minekaze moving in from his other side, he ended up trapped in a web and going down very quickly. Textbook example of why you don't stop moving. Game ended shortly after we ganged up on a nearby New York that had just finished dueling it out with our Kawachi.