Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

Usually cruisers and battleships, though its dependent on your preferences. Ships that have slow turret traverse want Expert Marksman, to reduce the time they take to swing guns over after a turn (or just quickly snapshot a newly revealed target). Some cruisers have a fast enough traverse that its not needed. Some people deal with higher traverse to have those 2 points to put somewhere else. I'd recommend getting it on all battleships and most cruisers (namely not the British CLs as they have really good traverse). You could theoretically get it on DDs, too, and it has a stronger effect on them too, but most DDs already have pretty good turret traverse and NEED last stand as their first 2 point skill, so it typically never makes the cut. IJN DDs in particular see the most benefit, though, having glacial traverse times, but I personally never use it on the IJN DDs.

Leningrad and gremy get a run with it as well. Mostly due to em and traverse module allowing the turrets to keep up while juking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

toadee posted:

A lot of much better CL players than you and I call it debatable now. Debatable does mean "yes there are upsides" but also "there are significant downsides". It's definitely debatable.

Which sounds like the magical force called balance arrived in one area of the game then.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Best part is that scapegoat guy hadn't been part of the WoWS team since april. Soo.. yeah.

Flamu posted up a vid on it of course. Pretty glad I'm moving on to other games at this point. The game play itself is just getting bad anyway, but that culture is just.. wow.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

James Garfield posted:

They were really lovely to another CC, who is (surprised Pikachu meme) also a woman. I don't think the shittiness was sexist comments this time though, they offered the opportunity to design a premium ship and it turned out to be a lie.

A bunch of people took the opportunity to complain about loot boxes instead of Wargaming being lovely to people who do thousands of hours of free work for them, and on the one hand loot boxes suck but on the other hand it's weird that they only started complaining now.

Mainly because of how they handled the missouri as a whole.

1) She was a fxp ship and instead of offering her up for cash to celebrate v-j day, wargaming couldn't help themselves and made you roll dice for it. Potentially costing you more than the value of the ship if sold directly
2) She was removed originally because they viewed her credit modifier to be too high. So after years and years of the ship being in players hands, they nerfed it. And then claimed a permanent mission would add back the modifier difference for the old owners. Offering up two problems. For one, the devs obviously never played their game because missions are modified on the base, not the total earnings so even still, she still ended up with a lower earnings. And for another, the last time the devs promised lifetime mission, they stopped working the following year because the devs have to manually enter the mission in at the beginning of each year. That mission would be.. the legendary modules. This is because as said, their mission system doesn't take input of infinite or permanent. And we all know wargaming isn't going to effort that entry forever. Note this happened now, not in the years since she was pulled. In fact, xmas boxes were offering her up as a possible grab. Yet wargaming never touched her credit modifier that entire time. But suddenly now they decided they can modify it.

So yeah, it is the shittiness of their handling with lwm. But as them quitting isn't really going to change that, you see jingles for example trying to get it moved to a M rating due to the heavy use of gambling in an attempt to stymie wargaming's income by reducing the number of new players coming to the game. Sadly, the flaw there is that most of the people that play either tanks or boats are over 18. Similar to how eve online is mostly people in their 30s or older. So it might give pause to some people, but in reality the flow of new players to sucker in isn't changing with a ratings change.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Jesus christ I'm glad I don't play this game anymore. Because just.. lmfao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9tCeQzB3nI

tldr: The fix for torps skewing when fired while turning instead just has them skewing on view point making them completely unreliable in 3rd person.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I have to say, it is amazing how much of the game they are openly willing to break to make submarines work. Between this and people getting stuck on absolutely nothing when near island shore.. amazing really. Wonder what the next submarine related bug will appear on regular ships.

Kind of interesting that the cv rework didn't break things to this level.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Yes, those are specific to the cv itself. I meant that the cv rework didn't also break surface ship to surface ship engagement. A 12v12 battle without cvs had no bugs that could be linked to the cv them self. I remember the cv immune to aa that still exists to a degree thing. Just talking of knock on effects. Like this with torpedoes and also the maps. Submarine implementation is so bad it is breaking the rest of the game while trying to be implemented. That is a legit issue considering qa should have spotted both of those. When checking changes. Instead, it appears qa is checking if it works with subs and then never regression testing to make sure nothing else that touches it did break.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

James Garfield posted:

The CV rework did break ship only games though. It ruined plane consumables on ships by removing torpedo spotting, reducing the spotting range, and making catapult fighters instantly die to anything with AA guns. Also it ruined most ship only games by putting a CV in them.

Again, you are confusing the word bug. What you listed were preannounced balance passes. Whether you agree to those balance passes is a different topic. I'm talking actual literal bugs. Just because we could now fly our planes in 3rd person didn't suddenly have everyone's guns adopt a curveball. Or your ship getting stuck when a cloud flew overhead. No bugs actually happened that were not previously announced as balance pass features. Even the loss of double spotted planes was an announced change. I know a lot of that is because the game launched preinstalled with carrier combat in it. Compared to them trying to hammer a submarine warfare system into a game that wasn't designed for it. But still, your lists are announced balance passes by the devs.

The only bug I can think of is when they implemented the stacking aa penalty but later removed it and no one noticed. Such minimal was the penalty that the devs were the ones to announce it and go "well, no one noticed, so it'll stay gone".

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
count down for tier 11 CVs to be announced in a year or so. Any old hat WoT players will agree it'll happen. Pet child or not.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
How different would the gameplay be for subs if torps couldn't be launched unless there was an active ping. But also, if you ping a different ship after launch, the active torps go dumbfire and stop tracking at all.

Edit: for that matter, they go dumbfire if the ping they were initially tracking drops.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 9, 2021

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

You'd basically never hit anything with a sub then. More so if firing from underwater.

Unless you catch a ship already under pressure that blew its damage con for fire/flooding from other players. Or if a damage con is used to clear this, then the opposing ship will be vulnerable to fire/flooding from other ships.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHzCXhJ8oYo

Flamu's experience. In flamu's experience though, I'm half against everything he is having issue just because those subs were doing exactly as we expected them to do. Ships that can go off alone and gently caress around from the flank. In a way, the lack of support from his DDs to deal with them is part of the trouble for him. But also, knowing there are two subs, digging right in for a brawl like that was just dumb without full intelligence on it. More so on sticking to it after fully aware both of them were on his side.

That said, I do agree that subs have one hosed up flaw in their design. Wargaming removed invisi firing specifically because people were mad at things like zao and many DDs were he spamming them to death. Now we get torps that not only can gently caress you invisibly, but also for some reason can citadel you while at it. I wonder how the gameplay would be with just the single ping mechanic instead of doubles. That would give them firepower lower than a DD technically, but that is offset by the fact they have ridiculous levels of stealth compared to a torp dd.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

The homing torps also home in best on DDs because :psyduck:

huh, that changed then. Thought they had the worst tracking on DDs. Then again, from the videos, it never seems like the torps drop homing at a certain range from the target like I remember hearing they were supposed to do.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Nice visual upgrade. Shame about the gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fWxIsm5Yho

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Ok, this clip is golden:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LyEC_KTM3U

Flamu being trolled by Jingles.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I'm a co-op scrub anymore. That is all I do. Like maybe once a week I'll bother to log in and just do a couple co-op rushes just to wet my appetite for shooting boats before logging out. This game's balance just made me not care or bother to make more of an effort than that.

Found out there is a carrier game on steam with a similar crew management system as uboat. But instead of torpedoes, you are managing planes that also needs to have you making sure their return puts them near the carrier to land. Also configurable fleet to make it more interesting.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Shivers posted:

What's the name of this carrier game? It sounds like something I'd be interested in.

Aircraft Carrier Survival: Prologue

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1493800/Aircraft_Carrier_Survival_Prologue/

It is basically a free demo of the game. No release date on the full game afaik, but go have fun. The campaign/tutorial starts off with the coral sea.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

I'm just bitterly laughing at the recent ship announcement where they announced YET ANOTHER Soviet T10 premium cruiser, as well as the very first premium submarine - also Soviet, of course. This makes loving 6 unique Soviet T10 cruisers, compared to the US/UK who have a whole 4 (not counting Alaska B), and less for everyone else. At least the sub's real and a museum ship, but lol at what it is - they chose a loving Whiskey-class launched in '54, and it's a T8.

I haven't played in a while and recently uninstalled because I needed the space immediately, but I just keep hoping they actually improve the game again, and WG just keeps disappointing.

Well, like flamu said. If you had any doubts about subs, there is your answer on them being here to stay...

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
So when are we getting a steel soviet carrier to rival the fdr?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Posted in tanks thread, but well, it deserves posting here too.

I was just reminded of this gem while watching a video from a youtuber named Josh Strife Hayes. I was linked to him in the new world threads where he has moved from a "interesting game" at beta to "holy crap, how are the devs this bad" as of late. He does mmos in general and released a video yesterday about pay to win. I just happened to switch to the screen to see him scrolling a gamasutra headline from gdc in 2013. Wargaming proclaiming they were kicking pay to win to the curb in all their existing and future products.
See the article here:
https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/wargaming-kicks-pay-to-win-monetization-to-the-curb

8 years has changed the company a lot since then.....

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

toadee posted:

Im not sure pay to win is very accurate though - what is it in World of Warships you need to pay in order to win?

Flags for one comes to mind. But mostly I was thinking about the event ships where they even admit you can't even get it for free no matter how hard to try. Because you'll still be a couple rings short after collecting the maximum number of whatever token name they call it.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
EH, for the conversation earlier, I still view some of the premium ships to obviously be hitting that p2w setup. Like enterprise post rework. Granted, wargaming stopped selling it, but they still shake it in boxes at times iirc.

But lets move on to comedy hour. What happens when you take 9 schlieffens into a battle supported by a richthofen, montana, and conqueror?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdKjpXPrnGg

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Hot garbage according to this

https://thedailybounce.net/world-of-warships/world-of-warships-new-year-dockyard-and-final-review-on-repulse-and-marlborough/

He worse than kgv

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Don't forget the slow turrets as well. Small caliber guns compared to others, but a slower turret.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

wraith_5_ posted:

I've definitely had plenty of poo poo crate luck over the years, so I was thrilled to see a good one,

How are y'all playing the new German BBs? They seem to have poo poo armor, short range, poo poo gun angles, but supposedly good secondaries? I can't see on paper how to make that work.

Well, have an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdKjpXPrnGg

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Velius posted:

Kaga is a tier 8 carrier with very strong torpedo bombers (drops 4 powerful torps, unlike the other IJN carriers that all drop 2). Otherwise I feel like it has decent bombs, too. Seems pretty solid but I bet it had very weak planes to aa.

Arizonas a standard battleship. I think the gimmick is slightly better accuracy? Still tier 6 and a standard so why play it?

Unless it has changed, the kaga's other gimmick (and primary one) is that it has a very long refresh time on its planes. But instead gets a lot of planes on deck. Otherwise, kaga's planes got the same health buff that the enterprise got. Just that the kaga didn't have as damaging a spread of weapons on her squads like enterprise does (kaga is he dive bombers while enterprise has ap).

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Burt posted:

If I do all of my 91 low tier ships I will have enough coal to get the Tulsa/Carnot/Kearsage.

I'd obviously be loving broken but I'd have yet another ship to look pretty in dock.

I also have 11million credits. I have somehow managed to go from about 140million just buying equipment and modules for ships I have researched/won in the last 2 weeks. :downsgun:

Kearsarge is good. Weighty broadside and accuracy even if they are nor cal guns. But also the ability to self spot and mess with enemy ships thanks to the tiny tims on its rocket planes.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I'd say that is partially because the devs themselves don't know what to do with the game anymore.

Active promotion of low level play: using the research bureau as a way to get special ships, has improved low level play and reduced the need for fill in bots at those tiers (unless a person blows gold a few times to stack it up of course)

Ranked locked to t10: Ranked is tier 10, but you are also promoting people to reset the line and ditch their tier 10 to go through the entire tree again. Which leads to either less people in their tier 10s, the players unwilling to reset due to their low skill, or a combination of the above.

So do you reset your tier 10 and skip out on ranked which has its own unique set of ships. Or do you not reset so you have a tier 10 for ranked. And the problem one is seasonal and one is at any time. It isn't like you can flash pan grind back a tier 10 either.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

suck my woke dick posted:

Buy Napoli out of principle. gently caress CVs.

Nah, we need them to do more premium CVs. I'm still waiting for the hybrid carrier. Not hybrid BB or CA. But a hybrid carrier. That being the lexington at launch with her 203mm guns mounted.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

James Garfield posted:

how would putting 203 mm secondary guns on a carrier add something interesting, there is already a carrier with secondary guns that are more useful than 80% of a pensacola and it is widely considered bad

also every carrier added to world of warships makes it worse

I said hybrid, not secondaries. As in, she can main gun her 203s but also be able to launch normal strikes. Didn't say it would be practical due to the problems of main gun vis bloom. Just saying it would be funny as a random gimmick.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

https://i.imgur.com/R2AKC9D.mp4

E:

jets currently have a cruising speed of 340 knots

E2: they work like the planes on hybrid ships. You don't have a steady supply of planes you can deploy and lose, the launches just have cooldown times after which you get a full squadron regardless of if you lost 0 or 100% of your planes on your last attack run.

Which sounds like the worst of both worlds. It's gonna suck playing a super carrier because you'll have nothing to do for long periods of time, and it's gonna loving suck to play against because THREE HUNDRED AND FOURTY KNOTS.

They do not cruise at 340. They boost to 340. They also do not have the ability to recharge that boost right now. And they can't reduce speed below the cruise speed unlike normal aircraft.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
If your twitch stuff isn't responding, try unhooking and then reconnecting twitch to your wargaming account. I had that happen once before and got a flood of like 6 months worth of stuff dumped on me at once unaware that link had kind of gotten messed up.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

I was playing Nakhimov the other day and saw something I have never seen before in the game. I got a QUAD fire on a Shlieffen with 1 rocket salvo. He put it out straight away of course but it was still an eye-opener.

I have to hand it to WG - the Soviet CVs curve nicely from the best-in-tier Serov at T6, to the absolute OP Pobeda at T8 and ending up with the most ridiculous ship in the game at T10.

Don't forget the stunner t8 premium as well. Which somehow isn't as op as the enterprise in wargaming's eyes.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

Flamu has got it wrong on a few ships. He was lukewarm on Smaland and Marceau initially, and even Thunderer which he most recently rated as S tier, wasn’t exactly a glowing recommendation on his first review.

His review of the Puerto Rico wasn't all that thrilling either. Granted, I wasn't as well since you have battleship like dispersion on a cruiser. So a super Alaska but with god awful dispersion yet is considered amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Optionally, just push them further into the ceiling by typing "jajajaja".

Edit: Assuming this is on the NA server.