Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
After previously playing Navyfield :psypop: for like 7 years, and dreaming of a game seemingly like this one, is there any other tangible benefits to buying into closed beta? Do they reset your premium time when open beta starts?

I don't have as much time for video games as I used to, but really liked what I've see thus far in videos. Seems like the Russian Bias is the way to go for the DD selection.

Toot toot, to my former Greenlandish countrymen.

jownzy fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Velius posted:

I'm having fun in it. The Soviet destroyer is 30 bucks or something seems fun and gets you in, plus a month of premium, etc. I got the crappy Japanese one and don't regret it just to get in.

Then again not only did I play Navyfield to the H-39 (people who didn't play Navyfield have NO IDEA how much time that entails), I also have 11000 battles in world of tanks, so my judgement is probably in question.

You got out way earlier... I've got 4 BB5 and 2 BB6, and multiple CV5. Anyway, bunch of people still playing that nonsense.

I chose War Thunder over ever getting into World of Tanks. Am I correct to assume this game is everything Battle Stations Midway never became?

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Been playing for 3 days now, ready to give some initial impressions... it seems like 2 days was enough to start really getting the hang of aiming. Seems like a pretty simple game, yet still fun.

In terms of the "grind" I would assume they are going to drastically reduce exp outside of closed beta? I guess I was lucky to start on a 5x promo weekend, but literally, I'm playing 1-2 games tops.

The South Carolina is basically the worst ship I've played.
Biggest surprise for me has been the Omaha, because it sucked so hard in Navyfield. I've only played like 3 games in it, but each of them netted me 15k exp.

Carrier game play seems somewhat disappointing right now, was looking forward to that. I'm still not clear when AP works and when it doesn't. When it does it does more damage, but it seems like HE is more reliable to do consistent damage.

I'm glad that I found out I can't control secondaries, because darned if I wasn't trying. Teamwork in this game seems like it'd be completely overpowered. I haven't played with anyone yet, but I can only imagine.

Couple of questions I still have, mostly around training:

1.) The multiple captains, and the ponzi scheme of retraining them.... does it really pay to more than 4 captains? Just keep carrying one specialized for your line forward when you sell ships right?
2.) What's the point in a premium ship if I have to pay tokens to convert the experience I gain on it? Free exp doesn't seem like enough of an incentive to buy some 50 dollar boat. I mean I love the Atlanta, but really?
3.) Since I've got a bunch of leftover exp due to the 5x, and tokens are in fact being reset, I might as well just use them when I run into a ship I particularly hate? Barely tier 5 and I've got about 50k to throw at a bad grind.
4.) Are there any early decisions in crew training that will screw me over later? Navyfield used to make specific skills on each sailor, and like a year later you could potentially have a super sailor based on how long you rolled for a crew with optimal skills. Just looking for red flags. Oh I wish I would have done that? I know I get a do over, so not super concerned about it now.

Other than that the game seems pretty basic, I imagine once you got your favorite ship, there isn't much variety or incentive to continue? I feel like a month of premium would be more than enough to accomplish end game goals at this point. I played like 3 games of World of Tanks, so I don't have much experience with them... pay to win, premium shells, consumables?

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

El Disco posted:

First game, eh? That means you didn't have the gun upgrade that increases the fire rate. :getin:

My first game with this ship was great, every game after seemed to be a loss in which every other ship on the other team decided I was the only ship against them.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

RosaParksOfDip posted:

I know this is quite a bit due to personal preference, but do BBs ever get "better"? I just unlocked the Kongo, but I don't think I'm going to bother buying it. Slow, poor shell travel time, poor reload and glacial turret rotation. I usually have no problem hitting with a cruiser in my opening salvo, but with BBs it takes me two or three volleys before I hit anything given the shell-spread and time between shots meaning I have to completely recalculate every shot. This is assuming a mediocre player at least who makes even the slightest attempt to evade. Would I be better served trying the american BBs instead or should I just try getting a bit higher it the tree before writing off the jap BBs?

How do you get to the next ship if you don't buy the previous? Maybe I'm missing something. Free exp?

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

I'm still having a hard time understanding what the incentive is to buy a premium ship. Do they plan on greatly upping the free exp you earn with it?

What good is the ship experience I earn with it if I just have to spend even more money to actually convert that exp to free exp to actually use it?

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Polikarpov posted:

Commanders don't need any re-training to use them. So you can stick your BB commander into an Atlanta or Sims and train him up that way. The convertable XP is just a bonus. They also make more credits than other ships, so they're a good way to fund new purchases or operational costs of high-tier ships.

I see, so the fact that I presently have a Russian DD, makes this fact slightly more hidden. Thanks.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

I just played my first game in a Langly, no experience.... took out 2 BB and 1 CV with my one squad of torp bombers... seemed pretty decent to me??? That video obviously shows me I don't think I'll be very interested in playing tier X BB.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

CV Commander training, question...

Am I right to assume you need at least one skill of each level to proceed further in the tree? Right now I'm left with a choice between the tier 3 BB, CA, DD skills... and it seems like situational awareness, though I don't want it is the only thing I can actually "use" on my CV in order for me to get to tier 4 skills?

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Aesis posted:

I switched back to Cleveland for faster RoF and turret rotation. 48,000 xp left to New Orleans! :negative: But man late night games suck, I get dragged to matches against Iowa and whatnot, and it's just nightmare. One game I had 2 opponents in Iowa (there were Tier 8~9 in my team but all dead), and they were going around together ripping even Destroyers getting close for torpedo runs. At least we denied them win :unsmith:

I have not played world of tanks, so this may be a dumb question, how are you able to level for the New Orleans in your Cleveland?

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

The amount of people that put "captain" in their name, and spell it wrong, is astounding.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

I started this game really high on playing the battleships... and then I realized very little of what I do matters in the game. It feels like crits and doing any significant damage is pure luck.

I got up to a New Mexico and a Fuso, and was like wow, impressive firepower, but that's just not what seems to happen in game. Just got the Pensacola, and now I've got a maneuverable ship that seems to consistently do more damage per salvo, it doesn't even have upgrades.

Seems like if you have a team of decent cruisers, you win. In the end the battleships all get flushed.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

In terms of end game, is it really only the tier 10 ships that matter? You're only in all the crappy ships along the way for a finite period of time. There seems to be little or no incentive to play tiers lower than what you're grinding for.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

grrarg posted:

Making credits to pay the ~9 million for a tier 10 is the incentive to pay lower tiers. Tier 9s barely make more than the cost of service in most cases. If you do not have premium and a premium ship to grind credits, your favorite tier 3-5 is the best way to make credits.

No I haven't played WoT, so when I have the 9 million credits, then what do I do? Do people primarily play tier 10, or does the objective of the game turn into making credits...

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

I wish they'd just give us the tokens, instead of a ship I'll never play.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Look at this smart guy who won't slog through matches with a trash can boat out of sheer :911: patriotism. he'll probably make credits with a good vessel from some third-world country

They won't even see me with that special edition camo.

Also, since our fun seems to be winding down, I got 50k free exp, wondering if I should try and get to the end of US cruisers or Japanese cruisers.

At Myoko and Pensacola right now.

jownzy fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 11, 2015

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

So, buy the Atlanta now at 30% off or will there be an opening weekend blowout sale?

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

James Garfield posted:

If it's working how they claim, you'll get all your gold refunded for open beta anyway. Might as well buy it now, no point saving your gold this close to (apparent) launch.

I was worried they were going to do that. I guess it's not that bad, can let me see if I like the ship and basically get a refund on it.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Figured I'd try some carry gameplay in a Bogue.

I have the upgraded fighters, and the upgrades to make fighters more effective. My captain is not max level, however. Faced off against another Bogue, two squads vs. two squads, in wide open ocean. Didn't kill a single plane, lost two full squads.

He states he has a very skilled crew. Good to know that when you want to make it impossible for an equally tiered ship to compete against you, all you have to do is slum down with your "skilled" crew and become untouchable.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

El Disco posted:

Carriers are a loving mess right now. They're not balanced well against other ships and they sure as hell aren't balanced against themselves. Am I crazy for thinking that they were a lot better before the IJN carriers were introduced? Granted this is only from seeing them perform, because I didn't even get out of the Langley before I wanted to kill myself.

I don't have much to complain about with carriers, but when my upgraded fighters can't kill a single fighter from a carrier that is the same as mine simply because my captain doesn't have all the skills trained, that's a major balance issue.

In the second engagement I managed to kill 2 planes, but that's only because they were being peppered by AA. I lost all of mine, again.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Warming up to the New Mexico.

Just hit my best salvo ever... 36k on a Fuso, after I hit his citadel the shot before. Two shots and the kill. Both at absolutely max range.

Learning how to use AP correctly is really paying off.

jownzy fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 14, 2015

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

$1 delivered me 1000 tokens, 7 days of premium, and a crappy Russian cruiser.

I wanted the ship slots. I was not in alpha, I didn't get anything other than the Grem pre-order pack. Not working as intended?

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

xthetenth posted:

It looks like the slots overlap with the ones the spaceship event gave.

Wasn't present for spaceship event?

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

The advertisement said it included the CL, 7 days of premium, 5 slots, AND 1000 tokens.

For a dollar well worth it, but I think they've messed something up.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Main Battery Modification 2 is a trap because it makes you take longer to reload.

Seriously? I guess I didn't read it close enough, why would I want an upgrade that makes me aim slower and reload slower? This has to be a bug? I've had it on all my ships.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Yes, it's worded poorly, and what would help people understand this is if they showed the upgrades applied to the stats like they do with hull upgrades.

Switching them out...

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

I have not played destroy very much, in a Minekaze, I just hit a BB with 1 torp for 42k damage, sinking him.

He was the second BB I took down. I'm assuming that I must have hit something important, I have a x2 devastating strike. Netted me 10k exp.

86k damage on 6 hits.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

I can login to the server... it boosted me through the first 8 player levels, however, the game just freezes after that... guess I won't be testing.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

So did they drastically up the credits and xp needed in .4?

New Orleans is 110k and 8.9 million credits... wow.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Burno posted:

xp on the test server is 45x for your first win in a ship scaling to like 30x 25x

Dunno if it goes below 25x, I haven't played any ship more than one or two matches before getting the next.

Yeah, I get that... but the required research/economy is a little bit scary if this is what it will be come open beta. I get that we can move very fast in this 3 day period.

They're basically doubling the requirements for obtaining ships.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Followed the OP's recommendation on the Nagato, I've only played one game, but watching those secondaries open up on enemies allowed me to bring down ships I wasn't even shooting at. Pretty awesome.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Five games in a row the only thing to hit me has been a torpedo.

Planes, ships... doesn't matter. I seem to be the only target.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Figured since my progress on the other lines wasn't worth grinding for I better try out this premium destroyer thing... first game 3 kills, in open water map. Thought it had a bit more potential.

I was right, 5th kill was spared a half second by the points victory. It really is like playing a separate game though with destroyer tactics. Completely different feel, nice change of pace. I only briefly tried it when I started, but I think I could get the hang of this.

This was with no bonus.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

cheese posted:

The tier 8 Atago (its basically a Myoko with a slower RoF and torpedo launchers that have a 45 degree angle launch aim, aka you can fire them without having to totally show your broadside). It looks really solid.

Played it during the common test. It felt a lot better than the Myoko.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Another beta key for those that can't wait:

F93KC-9CXVC-N5ZK7-U3TES

What was the World of Tanks code good for? If we share stuff after this OBT starts, I've never played world of tanks... anything usable for warships in terms of MONEY.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

What to poop sock first? I kind of went shotgun approach the first time, down all lines at one time.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Michaellaneous posted:

Cruiser will be king, as always. Both lines are strong. IJN CL/CAs get larger sized guns earlier.
Don't do Carriers.
If you wanna do battleships keep in mind american BBs suck until NC.
Destroyers are your choice: American DDs have great guns but poo poo torps, otherway around for IJN.

Yep, got to the NC, loved it. I will not be wasting time with carriers, as that only led to inconsistent performance and consistent frustration.

Got stopped on the Mogami and Pensacola. With the increased grind, not sure I'm looking forward to the end game on those lines.

I know I'll be trying hoping on the IJN DD, once Open Beta is open to everyone... because that will be fun.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

quote:

We apologize for the delay. Server downtime has been extended to 11:00 PT (14:00 ET).

I should have slept in.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Michaellaneous posted:

Why didn't I get the gold and the boat from the humbe bundle?

I didn't get it either or my Ruskie Omaha. I assume this was a miss on their part.

Because that would mean the humble bumble gave me nothing of what was advertised. I'm going to try and claim it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It's just a bizarre stance to take. It costs them absolutely nothing to give us these items, which we paid for.

How many people would have bought the pack if it was to use the stuff for less than a week? It's not about the $1, it's about common sense.

What happens if you buy some gold, and then they decide whoops we made a mistake and all these premium ships were meant to be double the price, sorry we made a mistake... and take the ship.

Your virtual item costs nothing and you have unlimited inventory, why make it a fuss at all?