Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Filled out the app at 2:30 UTC -5 just got my invite. So start :f5: your gmail account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hagop
May 14, 2012

YellerBill posted:

I started firing AP instead of HE and holy poo poo even at tier 1 it makes a huge difference. Even if every shot doesn't deal as much damage the ones that do penetrate something important just absolutely wreck the enemy.

I don't know it feels like shooting AP at Low tier USN cruisers is a crap shoot I can seem to reliably hit the citadel on the tier one or two out side of 4k range. As where every HE round I drop on their decks seems to kill the ruder, the engines, a turret, start a fire, or all of the above.

However I total agree when shooting at IJN cruisers it seem like the citadel hitbox covers 3/4 their tier one and two cruisers.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Yes, two launchers a side, fantastic, pity the weapons inside the tubes are crap. 11k damage, 56kts and a paltry 5.5km range puts you inside secondary battery range of anything worth shooting at, so at least being that close means you're likely to actually connect with enough of them to sink what you're shooting at, sometimes even before the Clemson sinks.

Same tier Isokaze gets a workable 7km and 68kts with 14.4k damage, even if you get to fire less per salvo

How do you DD drivers even get hit by secondaries, my secondaries gunners are hard put to land 1 out of every 6 shots on a heavy cruiser. I feel like my secondaries would never manage to kill a DD unless he drove up to 2 km came to a dead stop and waited 5 minuets.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

How do you not? I've seen a DD explode in three seconday salvos from a Kongo, and my Clemson will routinely take 1/3 to 1/2 hp damage in a single pass on a Kongo or Fuso

I don't have a Fuso yet, but I am fairly sure my Kongo's secondaries have yet to net a kill on their own and I have had a number of DDs get with in 4km of me.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Tahirovic posted:

The disparity between air power is what I mean, if you're up against a CV a tier higher than you, your fighters will get shredded even in a 2 vs 1 situation. They need to either fix that or fix the MM for it. Fixing it with health alone might not be a good idea since plane hp needs to increase to counter ever increasing AA with tiers.

Maybe I am just bad with my Sapian but I really don't feel like I manage to do that much damage, hard to tell without total damage being displayed on the scoreboard tough. On most maps if you want to stay safe you can launch 1 torpedo attack roughly every 2 minutes, so that's what 4 torpedo hits every 2 minutes? If it's more then I just assume that you're really good and probably shouldn't be taken into account when it comes to balance, since you'd do well in any boat.

If you can hit 4 trops off every run, and still feel your doing too little damage then you are too far from battle. You want to keep you CV behind your BB line just out of range of the other sides BB line.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

santanotreal posted:

It essentially makes carriers even worse. Your divebombs will all miss because of this. Haven't seen its affect on torps yet though.

The effect on TB is that it turns the normal straight line path into a cone who outside edge is about 3 or so times as wide as the the normal path. However the cone starts fairly small, so if you drop well its only going to cause you to miss one or two trops.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 19, 2015

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Riller posted:

Thanks to everyone for the clarification on the citadel area. The wording in the OP was a bit confusing as I read it: "That area from the start of the dark blue to right behind the rearmost main turret is the citadel." Are only the turrets in the forward area of the ship considered the "main" turrets?

Either there is a heavy rng modifier to if a hit in the citadel area is a citadel hit, or the hit boxes in game are much smaller than that diagram would indicate on most ships.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

OSad posted:

Even though the Cleveland's AA is a bit overwhelming right now, they really do feel like they're intended to be stuck on the side of a battleship as a consumable and be used as an AA battery. Against Battleships, the small caliber of the guns make it hard to punch through armor, and even the Myogi can tear out huge chunks of its HP at any given time, as I've found out playing mine. The Aoba with its better range and small maneuverability boost fair better at the long-range battleship support role, though I don't feel like it chews up planes as fast.

The reason I find that Cleveland fairs worse against Battleships then Aoba is that Battleships know the Cleveland will eat them up if they leave it alive and target them first. You can improve your BB lines chance of winning just by diving around like idiot at 18km from the other sides BB line in a Cleveland. As half of the other team will stop shooting at your BBs and fail to shoot you until they sink.

If the BBs don't shoot at you can close to 10km ish and drop the hurt on anything t6 and under. The guns are small, but they can still pound BBs as long as you're dropping rounds on the deck instead of trying to shoot through the sides.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 6, 2015

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

None of that actually sounds more fun than what we have now though?

Game needs something else then what it currently has though. I played tanks for like 18 months before the grind overcame the fun and I stopped playing. I would already be done with ships if the Cleveland wasn't such an OP death machine.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 7, 2015

Hagop
May 14, 2012

ranbo das posted:

Games can go from broken unfun pieces of poo poo to actually really fun in a year. It's a lot of time to make changes to a game. If you're really not having fun, you might want to just quit and come back when the game is finished rather than burn out on whats there right now.

Once I am done killing everyone with the Cleveland I will likely stop for a while, but I don't hold out much hope. It doesn't seem like WG games ever get better.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

look at this babby feeling butthurt about getting gunned down by light cruisers

I think it's a great way to reward better mouse-lead-clickers instead of poopsockers.

It really removes any incentive too play the BB line. Every ship is just the same poo poo different name. Cruisers and DDs have so far been better but I am only at tier 6.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

Cleveland can't do citadel hits against any BB, they're it's hard counter. You can blender most cruisers, oneshot destroyers and you're the closest thing to decent AA available at that tier.

Cleveland can chip damage any BB lower than a fuso to death with relative ease in a 1v1 with maneuver room. Stay at around 10 km minimize the amount of time the BB has to shoot at a flat side, dance like your life depends on it, aim high, and for turrets.

I also find it a good idea to swap to HE until she burns, whenever she is not burning.

One, it will cause dumb players to blow their repairs. Then we you get a gun kill its stays dead.
Two, it makes it simple to tell if they have blown their repairs. Letting you know you need to star over with the whack a turret game.
Three, more dots.

Don't gently caress with the fuso the shot gun effect is deadly when it only takes one pelt, Nagato, Amagi are far simpler to fight as their captains need to be able to aim to kill you.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Running the aimbot?

When running the Fuso and I am not highest tier, I am sort of wondering whether I should first focus on cruisers first and knock them out instead of shooting higher tier BBs. That should allow my team mates in cruisers/destroyers to hopefully close in and finish the BB with torpedoes.

Also, I recently got the Minekaze and having 10 km torpedoes is kinda nice. On Domination map I go for the central cap, get it and shoot torpedoes through passages. Not having to wait to get in range is kinda great.
The Ocean map in the Minekaze was surprisingly fun as well. It became a game of being outside detection range while shooting torpedoes outside of it. 1 Kongo and 1 Fuso went down to my torpedoes.

> 10KM CA->CV->BB->DD
< 10KM torpedo boats->BB->CA->CV

CA just drop more dps and disable more turrets in proportion to the rounds they take to kill, when your at a range that crits are mostly rng.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

xthetenth posted:

They'll probably just split the tree later because they learned people want their cool main ships rather than starting with half the big names not in and coherent trees like warplanes had.

I feel like back when everyone was posting in the tanks thread one of the alpha testers let leak that they are planing on having two full US BB and CA trees at some post release point.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Well I assumed when he said "historical ship classes" that he meant ships that existed, but yeah I want to see the 1920's SoDak :getin:

A little thing like existence will not stand between wargaming and your money.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Dalael posted:

If you are talking about the swastika, I'm willing to bet it won't be added. If they do, it will make the game illegal in Germany and wargamming will not want to lose this player base. They know abunch of them will thrown money at the Bismark and any other ships they can buy.

I am going to guess he means the Imperial German Navy flag.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

I can't say I'm liking cruisers too much. I find myself fighting battleships too much and even a few hits from them will decimate my HP. The cleavland is great when I'm fighting other cruisers or destroyers but that's about it.

Does the situation improve with the Pensacola?

Engage them more closely in the Cleveland. Unless the BB is a Fuso, or better then you need to run. I can sometimes beat a Nagato by keeping her at the edge of my range and driving like a manic, but the shot gun of doom will kill you every time.

Other wise just get in close then out circle the gun traverse, or just hang out at 10km ish and keep shooting the main guns off.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

Cruisers with a lot of guns that can make it rain will set fire to anything instantly as soon as they get in range. It's lovely.

So I am going to go ahead and guess the Cleveland is still the king of ships.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Wait is the Navy really trying to develop rail guns to replace naval artillery?. A weapon system that is based on the on the principal of moving a small mass really really fast seem like it would not do indirect very well.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Aesis posted:

HE. It takes about 10.5 seconds to fly 11 km, by the time Sims will have easily avoided incoming fire. It's not so easy with Cleveland because of maneuverability difference.

I also play Sims from time to time but it's just laughable how easy it is to avoid shells past 10 km while making GBS threads yours against bigger target.

Try firing a battery at a time instead of full broad sides. With all four turrets banging, it is fairly simple to box a DD into taking at least one turret full of HE to the face per cycle. Which is not a trade off they can win most of the time.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

Those numbers are facts. Omaha is a better ship in every way. It even gets to play better maps and easier enemies. Omaha could relatively easily carry games, Cleveland.. hell no.

Since I assume you claim Cleveland is not a POS, I could use some advice how to make it not suck. With Omaha I got avg exp over 1700 and dmg over 52000: http://worldofwarships.eu/community/accounts/500155007-Ihmemies/#!ships_pvp

How I can do the same with Cleveland?

I have not gotten back to it in open beta, so things may have changed, but the old trick to the Cleveland was to shoot AP first and last. The Cleveland's shells are so slow that at the edge of their fire range they are basically dropping straight down. If you start out with AP at 11 km or so you can get citadels all day by dropping shells on the deck. Then switch to HE for the mid range gun breaking and fire starting, and finally back to AP for the brawl. Also never not be drunk driving and stay the gently caress away from the Fuso.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Patch Notes posted:

Had advanced fire control system, and powerful artillery. The strength of the structure, thoughtful division into compartments, and a considerable area and volume of armour ensured the high survivability of the ship.

I feel like the Bismarck is going to be punching well over its historical capabilities.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

Oh hey haha RIP the loving code is only valid for EU accounts.
gently caress you wargaming.

The game is in open beta, so why would anyone need a invite code?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Unzip and Attack posted:

I was piloting the default American cruiser and firing against the American cruiser that's one level up from the default, at almost point blank broadside for both ships. He must have had his weapons disabled because he only shot at me once while I had time to switch to AP and fire 3 whole volleys before some torps took him out.

Ever since open beta hit it has been hard to get citadel hit at extreme close range. I seem to lose the ability at <2 km during most engagements.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Does having a premium account get you a 4 man division?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

The Pepsicola is a good and fun ship and everyone who says otherwise has bad opinions.

The only problem with the Pensacola is that by the time you get to it via normal grinding you have forgotten how to play CAs not named Cleveland and have to learn the Phoenix play style all over again.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

yaay posted:

speaking of the cleaveland, should you be trying to land shells through the deck instead of the waterline when using AP because of its high firing arc?

When fighting at the edge of your range with AP you want to aim for the top edge of the deck and walk your fire up and down the ship(this is likely just rng making me crazy, but I swear you get more citadels this way then just trying to put all shots on the smoke stacks). This strat seem to work best against IJN CAs, and Pensacolas. It seem to never work vs other Clevelands, Omahas, or of course BBs.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

ranbo das posted:

The Wyoming is decent once you get it kitted out and have a couple of games under your belt. The New York is good bordering on great, the New Mexico is amazing, we don't talk about the colorado, the North carolina is great with the Iowa/Montana apparently being borderline OP

The only issue with the New York is that is it is at the maxim CV pain tier. It's own AA doesn't get poo poo done. Most tier 5 CA either don't have the AA to help, don't realize they need to help, or don't care. Add in the fact the IJN CV get 3 TB squads and it can get really ugly.

Also new trick for making a BB driver hate life. Two tier 5 IJN CV send their TB squads one at time on auto broadside attacks at one BB all game. They don't do any damage if your any good at being a BB, but you spend ever second of the game doing nothing by dodging torpedos.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 11, 2015

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Michi88 posted:

There is also citadels forward of main battery and behind rear battery, 9/10 shots on Clevelands are cits for me in my newmex, nc, iowa.

Clevelands certainly can't handle the tier 6 BBs. Both the Fuso and the NM are like the Clevelands kryptonite. However they seem to handle tier 7 BBs fine. I mean I don't often solo down full health tier 7s, but I feel like I can solo off way more hitpoints then I should be able to.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

I am down to just an X two E and a D. As a note Dunkerque is the rarest of bot names.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

DurosKlav posted:

For those who have missed it. A Chance to earn a free ship for PAX.

PRIZES FOR ALL:
All players who submit a valid entry, will receive the Marblehead with the special PAX camo, a port slot, and 500,000 Credits!

ADDITIONAL PRIZES:
We will randomly select ten (10) captains who complete the task and award them with a one week of Premium time!

The letters thing.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

all done, try tier 2 matches for Es, I ran into 4 guys looking for a D to finish me.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Does Tirpitz print silver?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

jadebullet posted:

At least it won't be as bad as last night when the guy I was divisioned with dragged my Kawachi into a match with his tier 6 by accident.

On a related note, how bad do you have to be to lose your Tirpitz to a Kawachi? Granted, he was distracted by my other divisionmates St. Louis on the other side of him.

Historically terrible?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

SerCypher posted:

Is there a better way to use Torpedos on American Cruisers?

They are on my Phoenix, but I essentially never find a use for them, as they travel so slow. I find I'm better off just steaming back and forth at range and peppering them with HE. My friend plays Japanese Destroyers/Cruisers, and their torpedos travel fast and hit like trucks.

I basically just have to hope people run into mine.

Should I be using torpedos on the American cruisers? The range and speed seem to make them more risk than reward.

The tend to panic pub DDs into aborting their torpedo runs.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Reztes posted:

You can still be set on fire from hits to a section with 0 health left, and the fire will do its whatver-%-per-tick damage as normal, but the shell hits themselves will stop doing damage(and HE shell hits tend to deal much more damage than the resultant fires). Also, if you're pointed straight at or away from the target as James Garfield describes, you'll likely only be hit in one or two sections (fore/aft and superstructure) so it does limit the number of fires that can be set, indirectly reducing fire damage that way.

Does this actually seem to work for you, as in my CAs I want nothing more than for a BB to show his rear end or bow to me, it hides at least half your guns, it far easier to hit then someone moving at an angle, it certainly never seems to cause my damage to fall off, and it becomes basically impossible for me wast any rounds on your side armor. I fact I would call it the best possible angle for fighting a BB at.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Krataar posted:

Please tell me there is a light at the end of the pensacola tunnel. I just want to punish Clevelands, I've grown to hate them so much.

If you can make it through the Pensacola your a better man than me. I have decided to just play the Cleveland until I can free exp the Pensacola.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

PirateBob posted:

Same. I'm seeing more first volley perfect hits than before. :raise:

If your in tier 6 I think its just the pubs is finally learning how to play the game. Putting your first volley on someone is simple, if you know your ship, their ship, and the distance to your target.

Unless your great at the game your going to spend a long time with your tier 6 ship. So long that even stupid people can figure out, how to lead the same ship at the same distance by the same number of ticks.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Stalkerr posted:

Just got my Cleveland last night! Any tips for a new Cleveland driver? It feels like a really fast battleship with no armor. I got absolutely annihilated from 20 km by some Tier VIII battleships earlier... not sure if aimbot, or...?

Always be shooting and always be drunk driving.
Get the gun upgrade as soon as you can.
Be prepared to either zoom out, or get used to having to lead things by so far they are no longer on your screen.
Don't forget to hunt and kill DDs just because you can 1v1 most BBs.
Chain fire is very helpful when fighting well played DDs.
Also don't forget about your new shinny airplanes die button.