Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I like how they force you to fight bots for a few games. My first WoWS match

I may like this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Aesis posted:

Fire control: Increase max range for main turret. Doesn't do anything else. However it is useful as current game flow is just clustering up and shooting at near-max range.

Should be yes but I played 8 games late last night and lost every one of them. No-one would sail together, my teams just drove one after the other into the waiting packs of opposition. Related question: anyone on the EU server playing WoWS?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Tekopo posted:

I'm currently playing in the EU server.

I'm Ratzap in the game, what's your nick? I'm not in at the moment but should get on later.

Gordong Dongbay posted:

If you ever sit still in this game you are making a huge mistake. You should always be moving.

Really? You mean those guys trying to play peek a boo tank stylee with the islands are doing it wrong?!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Tekopo posted:

I'm Tekopo on it. Currently I only have tier IV/V cruisers though (japanese and american)

I'm miles behind that as I just started trying it yesterday, I have tier 2 things and a Warspite (I'm British from a naval family, I had to buy one :britain: ) which should match ok with your ships while I play catchup.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I'm finally starting to get the hang of the Tenryu, I still can't play a destroyer to save myself though. I got stuck on an island once in this game but I'm getting a grip on the speed of the thing, when to use the guns and when to close in for torps.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

grrarg posted:

I wish they would get rid of the Standard game type. Twenty minute games ending in draws is so boring, and some of the maps need multiple cap points to focus attention. If I get Standard Fault Line in a low tier battleship, I exit to port to not waste my time.

Weird, the only draws I've had were games with carriers hiding.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

bobthethurd posted:

This is especially true with the battleships. Especially with the early battleships. Battleships that are paying attention and start turning often gently caress up my attack run and I lose a bomber or two to that lovely South Carolina AA while I reset and my planes waffle, and then you only take one torpedo when I do drop, if any, because the spread is now horrific or it bought your carrier time to get fighters on my planes. I've had a South Carolina juke me completely more than once on a REALLY GOOD torpedo strike. I've also had New Yorks eat 5 torpedoes for driving straight like a dingus.

My Warspite does pretty well at avoiding torp planes and creams them with it's AA. The Wyoming I just got into though, is slow, can't turn worth a drat and has no AA guns whatsoever until I make 3800xp for the hull upgrade. Not fun when there are always carriers on the other side at tier 4 and manual drops make it impossible for them to miss me. Take your time lining up a good run, there's bugger all I can do to your planes...

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Really getting the hang of the Tenryu now

I was on a streak then some cheesy sod killed my engine just after I put out a fire. Somehow I lasted the minute plus for repair to come back with everyone and their dog shooting at me but not in very good shape.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

bobthethurd posted:

Turn earlier. By simply maneuvering you're giving the carrier a huge headache. You have to force the carrier to have more chances to gently caress up their micro. If you are in a full turn I have to estimate where you'll be in the turn and I still will probably only hit with one torp or even miss completely. I've missed wyomings entirely as well on what were otherwise good runs. In battleships you have to be reacting the moment you notice the fuckers are coming your direction, not the moment they turn in on your broadside for a run. Especially in the slow battleships.

I get that yeah but in the stock hull it's very hard to do. Now I have the B hull I can see that I'm forcing them to line up again and getting most to miss.

On a different note, how do we get extra slots in open beta? If they are expecting us to pay money for gold then would it be fair to assume there will be no more resets before live?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

22 Eargesplitten posted:

They said they have no intention of resetting, but if they end up having to, they will give everyone back the gold they spent.

Fair enough, I'll fork out for new slots then.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I just got into a Langley and I was wondering if there's a way to change which aircraft it has. Or do I just have to play it as is with 1 fighter and 1 TB?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Panfilo posted:

The Langley (and Hosho) are 'baby' CVs. Higher tiers give you the option to spend exp to unluck other loadouts. Generally these follow patterns:
-A balanced loadout between all 3 plane types.
-A 'fighter' loadout which is all fighters with just one bomber
-A 'strike' loadout which has one (or none) fighters in favor of torpedo and dive bombers.

Ok thanks. As it is I'm having a miserable time - stock ships are horrible. The basic Langley (as you no doubt know) has no AA so it can't protect itself from other carriers. So I use the fighters as protection but they are stock too so anyone who's upgraded kills them. I'm trying to catch other fighters over my sides ships so their AA helps out but drat, it's going to be a long painful haul to get this poo poo bucket upgraded.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I manged to wade through the Langley and bought the Bogue then used free exp to unlock modules. I went with the 2 fighters and 1 dive bomber since I have a captain with the first 2 fighter perks. Dive bombing doesn't seem to do much damage but my fighters are pretty good at getting rid of the opposition. I've had clear skies 3 times in a row now and getting the hang of manual bombing (I missed one tenryu because quite shockingly he simply didn't move).

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

grrarg posted:

Which would be 2k+ a game if you had torpedo bombers.

I can't buy a win in the Omaha last night or this morning. Five losses in a row where I had 1000-1500 base xp but lost because at least 4 teammates ended up with double digit xp.

Only if no opposing carrier has fighters and you can spend your time doing runs. I've only had 2 matches so far where the other side had gone full strike team and both of course turned into a turkey shoot for me. I just find it enjoyable playing the denial game with other carriers, 2 fighter squads, captain perks and upgrades let me bully tier 6 planes too.

El Disco posted:

This whole "One strike-focused IJN carrier on one team with nothing opposing it on the other team" poo poo is getting really loving old. It's so much fun being an xp pinata because WG can't balance carriers for poo poo.

Division up with someone who plays air superiority. It doesn't prevent losing due to awful teams but you get your very own personal fighter cover.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Woodchip posted:

Another tip for carriers: other carriers and DDs will follow your planes as they return to find you. Vary their return trip to send them on a wild goose chase.

I do this but it feels slightly daft at times due to the maps being so small that there are very few places you can actually be.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

grrarg posted:

The Kawachi is a piece of poo poo now and not representative of Kongo and up. Don't burn yourself out suffering through it when they will probably fix it in a patch or two. Work on other lines and accumulate free xp to burn through it if they don't unfuck it soon.

The Kawachi was bearable, the stock Myogi is unremitting torture to use. Nearly 6xp before you get a hull with AA, guns with awful dispersion, large, slow, turns like a barge and only 3 turrets.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Reading the patch notes while waiting for my client to update I saw this guys comment

quote:

make premships not pieces of floating poos please!

You just can't please some people eh.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They aggressively bore in on human players, too.

I downloaded the NA client to use late nights when EU is dead. Much to my wonder I found a whole load of people (tier 2 and 3) in the co-op battles I had to do before it let me into normal ones. There must be dozens who've not cottoned on that there is another mode against people.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

PirateBob posted:

Minekaze if you like to be an invisible son of a bitch who sinks people with long range, high rate of fire torpedos. Furutaka if you like pain and suffering and/or wish to reach the better IJN cruisers.

I feel like that should be part of an introduction: Hello, my name is Ratzap and I am attempting to get through the Furutaka...
I look longingly at the next one in the tree every now and again to keep motivated. It had better be good after this or there will be tears.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
The NA server is pretty low population compared to EU, is that usual? The lag isn't as bad as I was expecting but the matchmaking keeps throwing me in with a lot of higher tiers. I presume due to less people being online to pick from.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I was persuaded to drop a few quid for a Murmansk. drat this thing is great! I just took it for it's very first game and harvested not only pubbie tears 'russian poo poo', 'pay to win scum' etc but this win

I wonder how much more it would have been without the South Carolina guy trundling blithely into some torps of mine that were about to range out.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

yaay posted:

furutaka :cripes:

There there my friend. Just keep grinding and the pain will be over. I finished mine this afternoon with a nice win and 'Sell' never looked so good or made me so happy.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I have a question for anyone who's finished the Kongo - what's the trick to using it best? I got mine, upgraded it but it just seems to feel much less effective than the New York. It's fast yes but turning is horribly painful. It has AA but it doesn't seem enough to discourage carrier attacks. The extra turret is nice but it still seems rather inaccurate - I'm talking 14km or less, I'm not trying to plink folk at 21km. The secondaries don't ravage destroyers the way other battleship secondary batteries do. In short, what's it's niche or it's power spot?
It gets through matches but it just doesn't feel like it's being as useful as the New York, if you know what I mean.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

OSad posted:

She'll click eventually for you; there's not actually anything that makes her that special, apart from her speed compared to other battleships in her tier. I've always had success playing hard and aggressive on her, relying on the armor and getting in close to cruisers/battleships, to distances where it's either they die or they die (we're talking under 10 kilometers here, almost always). Often, it's not the case that you do anything well, it's that you're such a solid all-rounder, that if you keep your armor angled and keep moving, other ships have trouble doing anything to you.

Thanks for the lengthy answer which is roughly what I was expecting to be honest. I learned the angle and swing out to fire thing on my Warspite but I need to wait on firing more I think. When all shots straddle an oncoming cruiser at 6km it's pretty depressing but wait for them to swing out I suppose. Once the captain skills kick back in (silver retraining) and I make some cash for upgrades it should be a bit better.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Night10194 posted:

So, the Minekaze is just an Isokaze that can torpedo from even further away, right? Because the Isokaze's ability to poo poo torpedoes on people while staying hidden and waiting for them to blunder into the traps is magical.

Yep. The yank destroyers often forget how far the IJN ones can go too which is hilarious. I just had a match with a farragut trying that idiotic pop in/out around an island thing. So I tooled out to 8km, fired the 3 sets from starboard toward him and chased off after an omaha. Not long after I get a devastating strike from buddy boy sitting parked at the island. :smug:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Tahirovic posted:

I am having a lot of fun in it too when the MM doesn't poo poo all over it. Seeing destroyers come in close trying to blow you up just to get wrecked by secondaries is amazing fun.

For those of you playing against Warspites, stay 7km or more away from it and never ever go below 5km if you can avoid it.

I love my Warspite too, making credits is barely a chore. Add the extra credits flag and the lower repair cost one to cash in best. My captain has 8 points currently and I definitely second the 'destroyers melt under 5km' thing. With a few more points I'll get the tier 4 secondary range boost for even more hilarity.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Now this was a good Warspite game. Starts off quietly enough and finishes with a win on points after I get 5 kills. You can almost feel the last Wyoming screaming 'die die die!' before he explodes leaving me with a tiny sliver. Killing the 2nd Cleveland blind firing into his citadel was just the icing on this delicious cake.

I even remembered to turn on replays recently

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Zero Gravitas posted:

Picked this up in the last couple of days and I've got a couple of questions:

1) how the christ are you supposed to use the Tenryu/ tier 4 US cruiser? If I try and rush headlong, I get chewed up and the long thin hull makes a really good torp target. If I try and hang back, I get either pounded to slag or outranged, or both by bigger ships.

2) Are US torps really that bad in comparison to japanese? I feel like I should be advancing the jap DD line instead of US. Is that right?

1) keep moving and pick targets of opportunity. Support the BBs (ie let them get shot at), use islands to ambush ships that aren't paying attention. The Tenryu has good torps/bad guns, the pheonix has bad torps/good guns (very roughly put).

2) In a nutshell yes. US DDs have decent guns, IJN have decent torps. Personally I much prefer the IJN DDs because if I'm firing guns I'm more visible anyway so the side that favours sneaking around torping people fits better.

Vivick posted:

I've made it up to the Wyoming and Myogi, and while the Wyoming is obviously the better boat of these two I'm not sure which line I should continue with. Which one do you guys think is more fun/well rounded?

Personally I find the US BBs better. They are slower, more AA, turn better (up to tier 5 where I've gotten to anyway). The myogi is simply horrible and the kongo isn't exactly jumping out at me either. The Wyoming was ok and I'm enjoying the NY.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I bought a Hosho to round out having done all the tier 4 ships. The squadrons being smaller is more than made up for by the layout you get. 1 fighter and 2 torp bombers is really potent for tier 4 - my Bogue is envious. Anyway, I thought I'd do the daily bonus round (I've only upgraded the torp bombers so far) and the matchmaker tossed me into a match with me on one side and a bogue plus a ryujo on the other. 2 enemy DDs came for me and I managed to kill both of them while running away - impossible in the lower US carriers due to 1) their lack of speed and 2) only one torp bomber. With 2 TB it's fairly easy to put down a pattern that nothing can escape being hit at least once.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

ZombieLenin posted:

Battleships should never be within 6km of each other. Way way too close. At short ranges youryou're either:

1. Just close enough that your flat trajectory means you are very unlikely to penetrate another Battleship; or

2. So close that, in addition to being within the range of enemy support ships, the kinetic energy of shells being shot at you makes everything a loving penetrating shot.

I've not actually played the game yet, but if you're saying that there are forced 6km scenarios, that makes me sad.

It's not a sim and the maps are not that huge plus they have borders. Meaning that even if you try to keep your distance, people can come as close as they want eventually. Embrace the arcadeness - get in close, let the secondaries rip them apart and ram any survivors.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I updated WoWS on a whim yesterday and decided to get the german and russian tier 1s done (I haven't played since before they released). There's a lot of assholes in DDs seal clubbing, no all tier 1 games (at least I didn't get any) which made playing the Hermelin particularly lovely. 7.8km range is one hell of a disadvantage. By the time I'd finished those two ships I'd had my fill, absolutely no appetite to jump in one of my 6's and get back to grinding.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

JuffoWup posted:

Couple of notes:
- friday is stream day from 4-6. They'll be doing team battles and giving away doubloons. 250 in a loss and 500 for a win. They'll be talking with super testers and some other devs as well. Probably not going to reveal anything, but who knows. The doubloons are only if you happen to get matched against the dev team. So all the pubbie team battles are just normal fare. On the one hand, 500 doubloons free. On the other hand, you can bet it'll be awash with teams hoping for it which means wasted time fighting pubbies instead. Your call on that.

I logged in to look at the teams stuff and it's tier 7 or 8 - which I don't have. So that was a quick "meh".

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I reinstalled this to see if there were any xmas freebies - it was so big it took days to download and it's now way past christmas. I found the free containers, is there anything else to grab? I have over 19,000 doubloons for some reason - which premium ships would be worth buying?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
23GB to update this thing, that's how many 1080p HD movies? How can they manage to use up so much space with some pictures of ships?

That aside, I log in after almost a day of the patcher running and it's put me in a green submarine thing. If the event operation is pve, is it best to try and do it during prime time or off peak? Did they split off the WoT clans? I used to be in the same one in both.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I've been playing a few games a day and have unlocked the first UK BB (the Caledon is a pretty fun cruiser tbh). I have enough free XP to skip to the Queen Liz or down the cruiser line. Are the lower BBs terrible enough to want to skip? Or forget battleships and stay with cruisers (I already have IJN cruisers at tier 6 from before).

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Complications posted:

The low tier UK battleships are pretty drat strong. Just load pure HE and giggle to yourself as you dev strike cruisers all the same as well as burning the world to the waterline.

OK, that's a pleasant surprise.

James Garfield posted:

There's no reason to free xp past the low tier UK battleships.
Skipping to the Leander is one of the better uses of your free xp.

Sounds fair, I just rather not have a repeat of the Furataka (one of the IJN ones anyway, it was not fun).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Velius posted:

Unless you were playing two years ago you do not get to talk bad about the Furutaka. It is so, so much better now than it was before. Used to have 5 single 8” guns that were all centerline mounted with 30+ second rotation speed, as opposed to 6 in double mounts with reasonable rotation.

2 or 3 years ago could be right (Dred or Frag might remember when it was).