Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Halloween event is fun; pubbies a terrible. I had a game where I killed as many ships as the rest of the team combined. I'm looking forward to the Tier 8 version next week. Also, clan wars was fun. I wish I had a Moskva right about now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Yeah, I was trying out warplanes last night. I should be good for one night of Clan Wars over the weekend.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Between work, my wife's MS treatments and being out of town for a wedding, I won't be around for CW this week or weekend.

If I get an hour, I'll likely shoot plane mans too.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

When does the Halloween event end? I'm out of town this weekend.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I can't wait to play the unnerfed Tier 8 Cleveland.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Yeah, I would probably buy Alaska too, but I think it should be a side tree from the new Tier 9. It could just sit alongside Des Moines with a longer reload, maybe somewhat flatter arcs than DM, but not as good as Moskva, and super heavy US AP.

Also, :v: on the torpedoes for Baltimore. WG will probably make them low damage 5km range ones.

And if Pesicola is not nerfed and just moved down a tier, I'm going to have to re-buy it. I weirdly enjoyed it even when it was terrible. I will really enjoy the OP version.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 2, 2017

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I'm taking a break from botes for a little while. I'll probably play the odd game or two on weekends, but I bought Elder Scrolls Online discount on Steam and I'm nerding it up over there. The powers that be can feel free to kick me from DUNKN if room is needed for clan wars.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

My Seattle just exploded all the time. I think the only thing that attracts more fire in the open then Minotaur is a Seattle.

I'm getting back into this game and finishing up Cleveland. Seattle looks like a Cleveland with a heal and one tier higher. Is there any reason to play her or just skip and go to Wooster?

Is there a goon overflow guild for us filthy casuals? I got booted (rightfully) from DUNKN for inactivity.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

toadee posted:

Apply to BOATC and if you have T8 boats, play clam wars with us. We are not serious in any way, and you are practically guaranteed to earn hundreds of Steel!

Nice. I like steel and I have plenty of Tier 8 boats. (Tirpitz, Atago, Lo Yang, Cleve) I just need to get my mic working or get a new one.

I also like the new(ish?) Zao torps. Stealth torping in a cruiser is fun.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Clan wars was fun last night and I finally got my mic working. :v:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Man Seattle is a pain in the rear end to play sometimes. She wasn't terrible in ranked, but in a random battle.

I'm loving Yuro's new Smolensk video. I really want one of those and I'd be a lot closer if I hadn't used coal to get an Aigle and a Charleston.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Besting ichase is a definite highlight.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

toadee posted:

Also no cap is worth your life. Early in the game, the cap isn't even really worth much of your health either. A big mistake a lot of destroyer players make early on (I was certainly no exception), is stubbornly trying to contest a cap and taking huge damage or dying for it. If a cap is contested and you could be out spotted, planes are coming in, you don't know where cruisers are - just bail.

I still make this mistake although less than I used to.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I have about ~100k xp to go on the Seattle and I can't wait to get out of this ship. Those turret angles are so :negative:. Still, I've been getting games in the ~70k damage range, and over 100k too, so I figured it's good practice for the Worcestershire sauce.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I was only 85k xp from the Worcestershire and just free xp'd to it and holy poo poo what an improvement over Seattle. I got 4 kills and top rank in my first game. It's like an Atlanta on crack.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Blindeye posted:

I am cursed in good cruisers:

I've felt that way and I haven't checked my stats in a long time because I took a break from the game, but I think playing high tier cruisers well, positioning is king, followed by knowing when to commit. First rule is don't charge in. Second is always keep looking at that mini-map. Someone (I think here) said once, cruisers become more powerful as the game progresses and a DM with better than 50% health in the late game is a murder machine and I agree with that.

I'm running up the French and Russian BB lines too. I'm thinking about going comedy secondaries on the Frenchies and tankiness on the Russians. Playing the lower tier ships is funny sometimes because I see players making mistakes I used to make. Last night some Omaha charged my Ismail and the player must have been thinking, "I'll torp him," but he got devstruck at 11km.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

davejk posted:

There are only 5 ships in the game where secondaries are a good idea:
- Massachusetts
- Graf Zeppelin
- Bismarck, Friedrich, and G Kurfurst, but only because the ships are so bad in general that you may as well have fun with it

French secondaries may be numerous, but they're positioned such that only a small number can shoot at any given time, and the vast majority of them are 100mm and won't pen anything. The ships are also very vulnerable to HE spam, and a secondary build rules out taking vital survivability skills like fire prevention and basics of survivability.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to focus on the Russians right now because they seem to be more fun for survivability if that makes any sense.

I have a comedy secondary build on my Georgia. The captain is my Atlanta captain and he has IFHE so those secondaries actually contribute a fair amount of damage.

James Garfield posted:

I think matchmaking monitor is useful for this. ...

Also I think CVs make it less common for games to go undecided until the end. Not only because of decent players quitting, but because in a CV match there's an unkillable ship in the back that farms damage and spots anyone who tries to use concealment to play against the enemy team's greater hp.

I need to get mods back on in this game.

With CV's you can also get a real imbalance in ability. If your team's CV is a decent player and the red one is a potato, there's a good chance your team is going to win the match.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Izmail is likely playing on easy mode and I'm close to grinding out Sinop. I've always liked close in brawling so the balans at >12km means deleting cruisers is a cake walk compared to other Tier 6 BBs, lol looking at you Fuso.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I had a game last night where I was the only Tier VII and everyone else was V and VI and I was in a Sinop. When it's the solo top tier ship, the Sinop is so stupidly OP. It also highlights how incredibly power creeped ships like the Omaha or New York are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Since the new patch hit, I've been playing every ship I own in co-op to get the snowflake rewards and my word, co-op is where one can see how bad some of the player base is. How does one die to bots that quickly? Do they just suicide and expect the team to win it for them?